the Hobbit

sorabji.com: Best book you've ever read: the Hobbit
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
S on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 10:47 am:

and Lord of the Rings, Also the Simarillion, Where the Red Fern Grows

By semillama on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 12:35 pm:

been to lordoftherings.net?

By Dougie on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 12:39 pm:

Damn, you actually got through the Simarillion? I loved the trilogy and all, but the Simarillion was a little too much for me.

By semillama on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 03:28 pm:

I read the simarillion this spring. I couldn't do it when I was a kid, but liked it this time - maybe because it was written as the old epics were, and I ocould adjust for that. Then I went on a Tolkien binge for a while and read everything up to the History of Middle Earth series, when I came to my senses.

By The Watcher on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 04:47 pm:

Tolkien is an excellent read. I went on a Tolkien binge myself.

I stopped midway through one of the books his son put out, I forgot the title, I was an epic poem.

I loved his prose. But, those long epic poems just killed it.

I've read The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, and The Simarillion at least twice each.

Maybe that's why I also love the Harry Potter books.

By S on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 10:59 am:

I can't wait for the movie Lord of the Rings but I hope that it does the trilogy justice, you know?
    I have the Hobbit cartoon movie and Return of the King, etc. They are okay but tend to leave out some of the best parts. The graphics are crappy. I would rather read the books anyday. The board game Lord of the Rings is great too. I also like the Narnia Chronicles, juvenile, i know but they are really good.

By semillama on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 12:06 pm:

Are you kidding? Have you seen the trailers yet? I have no doubt they will do them justice.

By S on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 12:14 pm:

Yea so have I but still....we'll see soon i guess. I'm taking off from college when it comes out, that and the new Star Wars movie

By Eri on Friday, October 12, 2001 - 12:32 pm:

Books are always better than the movies. I hope they do a good job with this one. My oldest is getting old enough that I would like her to be able to enjoy it, or at least something a little better than the Olson twins latest. She is starting to become interseted in horror novels for kids, but I am not sure if the chapter books would be over her head.

I haven't read Harry Potter yet. I thought they were kids books. Am I wrong?

Christopher Shasheff is also some good reading, on the sci-fi, fantasy end of things. Especially his Gramarye series. I like the combination of technology in a medieval setting.

By Ezekiel on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 10:18 pm:

Eri, dont read Harry Potter.

It is satanistic filth. We are a christian democracy yes, but we should burn every copy of this blasphemous book. It teaches our children to be satanists. it makes them wonder at the power of the occult. it glamorises evil and death. it reeks of pedofilia and perversion. to any sensible adult we can see the ideas of charles manson and his ilk.

we must lobby congress to ban this harry potter perversion. do not read this blasphemous, base evil book.

By semillama on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 09:02 am:

Whatever, you moron. One, this is not a theocracy. Two, This is not a democracy, it is a Republic. Three, you sound like Mullah Omar.

By Nate on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 09:34 am:

we should burn the bible for the same reason. look at all the evil christianity has spread across the world!

By Spider on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 10:36 am:

Pedofilia?

By dave. on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 10:40 am:

horsefoot?

By dave. on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 10:43 am:

wait, i was thinking of something else. need more coffee.

By dave. on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 10:46 am:

i read the silmarillion 3 times in jr. high after reading lotr at least as many times. i thought it was much more interesting but not nearly as exciting.

By Ezekiel on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 11:22 am:

Nate, how many christians have attacked WTC?

Precisely.

By Antigone on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 12:06 pm:

Nate! This guy's in the UK. Go kick his ass.

By Chupacabra on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 12:09 pm:

Pope Pius XII?

CHUPACABRA!

By patrick on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 02:37 pm:

seeing the name chupacabra makes me want tacos.

By The Watcher on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 06:17 pm:

When do the next witch trials begin?

By Cat on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 07:36 pm:

Why is this UK guy pretending to be from the US? Is it a form of penis envy, except he wants a bigger country not a bigger cock?

Is he a yank living in England, gone mad on all that bacon and eggs and tea and muffins? Is it Nate being spicy?

I'm finding it amusing tho, so carry on bumnoodles. Tally ho and all that.

By patrick on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 07:50 pm:

righty right cat.

its "R I G H T Y R I G H T"

By dave. on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 10:26 pm:

cunty cunt

By Antigone on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 10:53 pm:

rabbity rabbit

By Cat on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 11:44 pm:

davey dave.

assy asswipe.

By dave. on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 11:45 pm:

stoppy stop.

By Cat on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 11:52 pm:

Don't you talk to me you buttbile. Didn't you see my post on the other thread about me wrestling a snake? I was just dying to talk about it and what do you do? Post on some other thread about cancer or whatever girly tampon-chewy thing.

Snake wrestling. That's not worth a bloody post from a mate?

You suck.

By dave. on Saturday, December 1, 2001 - 12:04 am:

that's nice, dear.

By Cat on Saturday, December 1, 2001 - 01:19 am:

Shuddup peachy.

By semillama on Saturday, December 1, 2001 - 09:56 pm:

Thinking about cat wrasslin' a snake makes
    me all warm inside.

or something along those lines.

like whats his face who stuck the arrow in
    Smaug, to keep the thread on track.

By Nate on Monday, December 3, 2001 - 05:00 am:

"Nate, how many christians have attacked WTC?

Precisely."

Ezgeekal, describe the behaviors of christianity from 1450-1600.

dumbass.

By Spider on Monday, December 3, 2001 - 08:41 am:

It lasted longer than that. 1300s - 1800s.

By patrick on Monday, December 3, 2001 - 12:22 pm:

sem and snake-wrestling?

and you wonder why your luck at the dating service hasnt been so hot.

By semillama on Monday, December 3, 2001 - 10:24 pm:

Yeah, i know, i know, but hey, I paid for a year,
    why not keep trying?

By I hate nerd on Thursday, April 6, 2006 - 10:02 pm:

you guys are a bunch of f**king nerds, you know that!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact