Of Mice and Men

sorabji.com: Best book you've ever read: Of Mice and Men
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Edgy on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 03:16 am:

I have recommended this book to dozens of people and every one of them has loved it. Consider reading this book:

It's less than 100 pages ( 1 - 2 hours reading ).
    It's by an American legend ( Steinbeck ).
    Wheather you know it or not, you already know bits of this story because it is regularly alluded to in American culture ( Think Looney Tunes - " I will Love him and pet him and call him George".

By eri on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 09:05 am:

I have a feeling that most of the people here have already read this and now our kids are getting ready to read it. I know in California it is required reading in high school. Haven't met anyone who hasn't read this book yet.

By Dougie on Monday, April 15, 2002 - 12:50 pm:

I failed English in High School because the bookstore only had the Cliff Notes for Complete and Total Idiots version, "Of Mice", and they didn't have the sequel, "And Men". I only got a 50% on the test. Best laid plans...

By J on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 01:31 am:

I read it just because I wanted too

By moonit on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 02:22 am:

Hi Eri,

Nice to meet you, my name is Mel and I haven't read this book.

heh

By eri on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 09:51 am:

cute. Have you watched the movie? Gary Senise was great in it. The book, of course, it better than the movie. You understand the poor guys better.

By Nick on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 09:52 am:

Does it count if you watched the movie?
    John Malkovich and Gary Senise starred, that's got to count for something.

By Nate on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 02:21 pm:

jesus, dougie. you're on fire.

you get hit in the head or something?

By Nate on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 02:21 pm:

jesus, dougie. you're on fire.

you get hit in the head or something?

By heather on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 02:27 pm:

so far i haven't been a big steinbeck fan- but i think that 'of mice and men' is the one i haven't read yet

By drpy on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 02:34 pm:

i think dougie's been having hot monkey sex again.

last night i found an old 1898 printing of 'silas marner' in a garage. i think it was a college book - it has study material at the beginning. i didn't read it when it was assigned to me in high school english, but i'm reading it now.

By heather on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 02:51 pm:

oops

it was 'red badge of courage' i didn't like, not that i remember it now

i really enjoyed watching 'east of eden'

By patrick on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 03:03 pm:

i liked Red Badge of Courage much the same way i liked All Quiet on the Western Front, much like the way i loved the movie Saving Private Ryan and Thin Red Line.

But i have a weakness for amazing war flics and novels.

By eri on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 03:11 pm:

Thin Red Line, used to have it. Laughed my ass off as Woody Harrelson blew his own ass off. I only like war flicks if they are about the war itself and not some other story line with a war in the background.

By dumbass on Tuesday, April 16, 2002 - 03:43 pm:

I liked thin white lines.

By Dougie on Wednesday, April 17, 2002 - 08:55 am:

No such luck (either getting hit on head or with hot monkey sex). I was just in a silly-assed mood that day.

Never read Silas Marner -- any good droopy?

Heather, you might check out Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday, my 2 favorite Steinbeck books.

By Wee Willie B on Saturday, April 20, 2002 - 01:37 am:

The Violent Bear it Away - Flannery O'Connor
    How Much Land Does a Man Need? - Leo Tolstoy
    The Last Gentleman - Walker Percy

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact