Well it's not the best but...

sorabji.com: Best book you've ever read: Well it's not the best but...
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Pete on Thursday, February 19, 1998 - 09:35 am:
    I was reminded of this book by a dream of Ghandi that Christopher spoke about on one of the other message boards.

It's called Geek Love by Katherine Dunn (?) and if I remember correctly, it is about a family that owns a circus. The parents decide to breed their own circus geeks/freaks - they do this by having the mother ingest all sorts of chemicals and pesticides etc. I believe there was a boy with flippers for arms and legs, the bald hunchbacked albino dwarf girl (who may have also had a tail), the siamese twin girls, and another boy who could move objects with his mind. The family used him to pick-pocket their customers. Very twisted story, much like John Irving. Therefore, I loved it -- thought it was quite clever.

By Christopher on Thursday, February 19, 1998 - 12:40 pm:
    Oh, I remember this one. It was pretty good, actually. I read this book one summer in New Paltz , NY. Laid in a hammock and just vegged. That was one of the most relaxing times I've had in the last 5-6 years. This book may not qualify as typical summer fare, but get yourself some of that good mountain grown grass, get the hell away from the world and lay in a hammock in the shade on a sunny day. Worked for me. Ahhhhhhh. If only I could run away with the freak show. (sigh)

By Pete on Friday, February 20, 1998 - 10:54 am:
    ...and bite the heads of the chickens! That's the life for me.

By Pete on Friday, February 20, 1998 - 10:55 am:
    ooops...I meant to say "and bite the heads OFF of the chickens." Although it works the other way too.

By Pete on Friday, February 20, 1998 - 02:08 pm:
    Did you ever notice the spine of the book? (I believe this only applies to the hardback version) The Knopf mascot (Borzoi Dog, or something to that effect) had 5 legs instead of 4. A little publishing house humor...

By Christopher on Friday, February 20, 1998 - 03:27 pm:
    You're Not Kidding! I was looking at my copy last night and noticed that. What a hoot!

By Pete on Monday, February 23, 1998 - 10:31 am:
    Or maybe he is an extremely "gifted" dog...

By John on Monday, March 2, 1998 - 01:49 pm:
    You guys are a bunch of hosers

By Chrashtopher on Monday, March 2, 1998 - 03:40 pm:
    Well Stated John! Your Eloquence is only exceeded by your myriad physical deformities. Read this book and come away with the warm knowledge that there is someone for everyone - even a hairlipped, 3 eyed gimp like yerself!!

By Jen on Monday, March 2, 1998 - 03:54 pm:
    do you guys know each other? i sense a tone one would only get with a buddy...

By AustiN on Monday, March 2, 1998 - 10:12 pm:
    I've been looking for a new book to read and that one looks like it just might hit the spot.
    When was it published?
    and by who?

By Christopher on Tuesday, March 3, 1998 - 12:39 pm:
    The Answers are in the posts above... Look for the three legged dog...

By Pete on Tuesday, March 3, 1998 - 01:34 pm:
    That's 5 legged dog Christopher! *G*

By Christo(sob)pher on Tuesday, March 3, 1998 - 03:05 pm:
    Oh. Sorry. I was recalling one of my childhood pets. *sob*. Skippy was a wonderful dog....*OhhhhSobbbbbb*(!) Thanks for causing a nice chunk of repressed childhood memories to surface Pete. I've worked for years to forget S-s-s-skippy.....(uncontrollable weeping)

By Pete on Wednesday, March 4, 1998 - 08:12 am:
    *LMAO* Ooooohhh...I'm SO SORRY Christopher. I hate to bring up those awful memories there Chris...*sings to the tune of "Skippy The Bush Kangaroo"* "Skippy, the 3 legged dog....." Oops, sorry. I forgot...kind of like what happened to the dog in that Disney flick "Air Bud"...healthy, then 3 legs, then in the ground. So much for those plans for a Disney sequel!

By Min R on Monday, May 11, 1998 - 11:19 am:
    Chris and pete are truly truly nuts!
    But it was fun reading the messages.
    Y'kow the movie Total Recall is alot like this book
    it has all these very sickening and deeply puke-inducing
    "genetically mutated people"

By Santiago on Thursday, April 1, 1999 - 11:34 pm:

way to kill the conversation

By Yo Quiero Taco Bell on Thursday, April 27, 2000 - 05:04 pm:

it lives on in cyberspace

By V.v. on Sunday, August 3, 2003 - 10:55 pm:

If anyone can give me the address of a greek girl,i will tell you what its like to love one,and also post the vid.Meantime,i am reading this book;THE FORTIAN BOOK OF EXPLODING PIGS AND OTHER STRANGE ANIMAL STORIES.It is amazing,full of bizarre beast stories that i will entertain you sorabjis with from time to time[if you annoy me enough]or you can pre-empt me by finding;ISBN 1-870870-36-0

By V.v. on Monday, August 4, 2003 - 12:01 am:

p.s.i have just boosted my hacking skills by 1000 PERCENT,so tonight i am drinking plenty vodka.[dont ask me how i did this,cuz i refuse to tell]SORABJI is safe,for the simple reason,I happen to like SORABJIS,And allways will [but God help the rest of the web.]

By J on Monday, August 4, 2003 - 12:54 pm:

What is ISBN 1-870870-36-0 ?

By Platypus on Monday, August 4, 2003 - 01:19 pm:

By Spider on Monday, August 4, 2003 - 02:21 pm:

I picked up ISBN: 0060936142 this weekend -- I saw that goofy-looking head on the cover and thought, I know that guy.... Yes, it's Mike Nelson from Mystery Science Theatre 3000!

You know, all this time I had thought of Mike as a mildly inferior replacement for sweet, adorable Joel, but it turns out Mike was probably the brains behind the whole show from the beginning. The guy knows lots! Schopenhauer, single-celled organisms, classical music, the Appian Way -- he knows. Funny, too -- I laughed so hard I snorted more times than I could count.

I give it a thumbs up.

By V.v. on Monday, August 4, 2003 - 10:12 pm:

J,most execellent TVARITCH,are you o.k. on the ISBN?[it is no big deal,its just a way of finding any book in the world through an international ref. no.]You can say this no. to any book seller,and he or she will understand what you want,enywhere in the world.The ISBN is normally on the back cover of any book you have.

By V.v. on Monday, August 4, 2003 - 10:18 pm:

PLATYPUS,Thank you most kindly for your link,i will not forget your kindness.

By V.v. on Monday, August 4, 2003 - 10:35 pm:

SPIDER,You got it in one with the MIKE NELSON stuff,you are more observant than most.Right on bro,

By V.v. on Monday, August 4, 2003 - 11:54 pm:

SPIDER,this Mike Nelson has the sort of face you want to PUNCH.Do you agree TVARATCH?

By V.v. on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 12:22 am:

SPIDER,I say again,for those Sorabjis who did not see an old thread of my translation of TVARATCH,[from Russian to English]it means MOST WONDERFULL PERSON,WITH A GIGANTIC PENIS.If i refer to any Sosabji with this term,you can consider it as a medal from the K.G.B. or the Kremlin.

By V.v. on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 12:35 am:

For sosabji,read SORABJI,i am mearly testing your powers of observation,[again]

By Spider on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 09:59 am:

V.v., I'm a girl, but I will take your compliment in the spirit it was intended.

I agree -- Mike Nelson's head is rather...provocative....but whether it provokes you to punch it or to pinch his doughy, dimpled cheeks depends on your state of mind, I guess.

Speaking of doughy, I found this picture and accompanying interview with Joel Hodgson. He's so cute. :)

By J on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 02:10 pm:

Thanks Platy,That was news to me,I learned something new,that's a good sign I can't be too old a dog.

By V.v. on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 06:43 pm:

Spider,This Joel Hodgeson also has a face i want punch,its so shmoltsy,like Bill Gates.

By Spider on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 11:02 am:

Hmmm....maybe you need to work on your temper, V.v.

By V.v. on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 12:49 pm:

Spider,Yes i do,its just i get fed up helping to make Bill Gates even richer than he is.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact