"Steppenwolf" by Herman Hesse

sorabji.com: Last book you read: "Steppenwolf" by Herman Hesse
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Kensey99 on Sunday, May 3, 1998 - 12:27 am:
    Yeah, at the suggestion of a friend who said the book reminded me of the protaganist. Hmm..perhaps aspects, feeling out of the loop etc. but I thought my friend was giving me a bit too much credit. I'll have to reread this book sometime in the future. I think theres a bit more to it than I got. Along with Lord of the Rings, the Bible, To the Lighthouse...

By
Hunter on Sunday, January 7, 2001 - 09:52 pm:

can anyone tell me what this book is about .... i don't understand. if u can help please e mail me

By Cat on Sunday, January 7, 2001 - 10:16 pm:

It's about loneliness and alienation and all that good stuff.

By Hermann Hssss on Sunday, January 7, 2001 - 10:58 pm:

It's about Cat, and Daniel, and Sarah, and ... Sem, and Dave, and CZarina, and Pez, and ... Hunter and ... Isolde, and Pug, and Hal, and Heather, and Patrick, and ....

By Antigone on Monday, January 8, 2001 - 03:48 pm:

I was left out! I feel hurt and...ALIENATED! Oh,
    the irony of it all!

By Cat on Monday, January 8, 2001 - 04:39 pm:

Someone sent me some of Hesse's poetry once. It was treasured.

By Daniel ssss on Tuesday, January 9, 2001 - 12:04 am:

and Jesus and Mohammad and Buddha Ken (my ex brother in law) AND ANTIGONE

sorry

By Elena on Saturday, June 23, 2001 - 10:30 am:

It;s about not fitting in society,realizing all the transformations that you have to undergo to lead a normal life..It;s about not knowing how to enjoy life and being true to yourself at the same time..Or at least that;s what I got from the book...

By Nate on Saturday, June 23, 2001 - 11:30 am:

yea, that's because you're a fucking moron.

all of hesse's books are about the same thing. they are about being better than everyone else.

he wrote them for people like me. to make us know that we are not alone.

By cyst on Monday, June 25, 2001 - 05:02 pm:

and to provide annoying conversation fodder for uppity, stoned 24-year-olds in coffeehouses.

it's the very nearest restaurant to my apartment so we went there. I didn't want to go. restaurants that don't serve liquor make me nervous. and pricing appetizers like entrees doesn't help.

we sat between a young couple and an open door. the young man asked her, "how many people do you know who are really AWAKE?"

"we're awake," she said.

he looked at her. "yeah, you're pretty awake. but it seems like most people don't even know they're ALIVE. like, what are they living for?"

he continued.

"you know janelle? she's one of the most awake people I know. she's just ... alive. every moment.

"when the hell did this place get to be so ... POPULAR? is it hip now? I've come here for a long time but it's never been this full. hey, have you read 'steppenwolf'?"

I was listening to him -- I couldn't help it. but I was looking at the open door.

"you want to go?" I asked. we did.

(by the way, I have read in watermelon sugar, tokyo-montana express, trout fishing in america, steppenwolf, siddhartha, beneath the wheel, narcissus and goldmund, demian, etc. the books are fine, but the followers can have the hip coffeehouses to themselves.)

By patrick on Monday, June 25, 2001 - 05:46 pm:

that was pretty uppity of you.

By Nate on Monday, June 25, 2001 - 06:13 pm:

cyst is actually AWAKE. those people in the coffeehouse, they just thought they were.

By patrick on Monday, June 25, 2001 - 06:26 pm:

making that statement you sound like a stoned uppity 24 year old.

thats ok, i make those kinds of statements too.

i have a disclaimer on my soul.

"I reserve to right to be an irrational, illogical judgemental boob"

By heather on Monday, June 25, 2001 - 06:38 pm:

[sing me to sleep
    sing me to sleep
    i'm tired and i, i want to go to bed]

i have a disclaimer on my soul
    and one of those sucker fish
    and a dry cleaning ticket

By Nate on Monday, June 25, 2001 - 07:07 pm:

i was trying to stoned uppity 24 year old.

not that i don't on my own at times.

By dave. on Monday, June 25, 2001 - 09:26 pm:

i went to the library once. i was surprised they had so many books. i found 2 philip k dick novels i'd never heard of - "puttering about in a small land" and "the broken bubble" - from his mainstream offerings. both of them were excellent as compared to his sf, which is also excellent.

i also, on that same visit, found a couple brautigan books i'd never heard of - "so the wind won't blow it all away" and "tokyo-montana express" - that were decidedly less than excellent as compared to his other works like "in watermelon sugar", "the abortion" and "the hawkline monster". that "dust, american dust" business in wind blow got really tired really fast for me. also, his poetry manages to break through my no-poetry barrier like no one else's ever has but that doesn't mean i need to read it more than once.

this concludes another pointless dave. post. see ya next time!

By patrick on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 11:56 am:

Tokyo-Montana express is one of my favorites.

Sam used to make trips up along to coastline to old bookshops and what not, and as you got closer to San Fran the more and more Brautigan he could fine. He has many copies of the same title. He collects books like I collect records.

My first Brautigan book was a first pressing Tokyo-Montana Express he gave me. On the inside there is a funny stain and some endearing words from a broke yet ever so rich individual.

Im needing that trip up the coast. Im needing northern california and now, reading Subterraneans Im needing it more.

By patrick on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 11:57 am:

wow, does that sound uppity?

By cyst on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 12:49 pm:

do you think your appreciation of richard brautigan signifies that you are more awake and alive than those around you?

I grew up in oregon and spent a lot of time in eugene in the late '70s and early '80s, so I long ago got tired of all that dippy hippie kesey-brautigan-vonnegut-hesse-robbins-persig worship.

"read this. it will change your life."

"um, I already did, and no, it didn't. thanks for your concern, though."

By patrick on Tuesday, June 26, 2001 - 01:46 pm:

hell if i know, nor do i care cyst.

i wouldnt call it worship but i understand what you are saying.

i can only tell i am awake in terms of not being asleep. Any other non-tangible context of "awake" is irrelavent to me.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact