"Angels and Insects" by A.S. Byatt

sorabji.com: Last book you read: "Angels and Insects" by A.S. Byatt
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Rook on Thursday, May 14, 1998 - 12:30 am:
    I happened upon the last 15 minutes of the movie-adaptation of this novel on PBS a few days ago, and was intrigued (Patsy Kensit with no eyebrows?), and so quickly got this book from my library. Let me tell you, I read the first chapter slowly and then _devoured_ the rest! Oh! So good!

Agonizing love, social isolation, existential dilemmas, insects, incest, horrifying revelations... this book fulfills all one's literary desires. And deliciously written -- prose like melting sorbet. And that's good.

By Christopher on Thursday, May 14, 1998 - 03:54 am:
    Excellent movie too. Inexorable. Inevitable. Truly horrible. And pretty funny, to boot.

By Rook on Thursday, May 14, 1998 - 01:05 pm:
    Why horrible and funny? Granted, I didn't see very much of it. But the book (really called "Morpho Eugenia") didn't really hint at anything that could be called horrible *and* funny.

By cyst on Sunday, January 16, 2000 - 03:00 pm:

I love that movie. I didn't catch it in the theaters, but I rented it and then I watched it again the next day.

I picked up a.s. byatt's "possession" at powell's a few months ago, but lost it during chapter three or something. but yesterday I cleaned out my car and found it under the seat.

but, anyway, the last book I read from for hours was one of webster's dictionaries. I took some notes and sent them to markus. he suggested I share them with you too.

flense - to strip of blubber or skin

popinjay - a strutting, supercilious person

intussusception - drawing in of something from without, the assimilation of the new material and its dispersal among pre-existing matter

pilgarlic - bald; bald man; man looked upon with humorous contempt or mock pity

pococurante (ital. "caring little") - indifferent, nonchalant

lambent - playing lightly on or over a surface; softly bright or radiant

farouche - marked by shyness and lack of social graces

longanamity - disposition to bear injuries patiently

lovat - predominantly dusty color mixture (as of green) in fabrics

lubricious - smooth or slippery; wanton, lecherous, salacious

lucubration - laborious study; studied or pretentious ideas expressed in speech or writing

mawkish - insipid or unpleasant taste; sickly or puerily sentimental

opusculum/opuscule - a minor work (of literature)

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact