How 'bout the last live concert you've heard as a topic?

sorabji.com: Last book you read: How 'bout the last live concert you've heard as a topic?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Pico on Thursday, November 11, 1999 - 07:34 pm:

Mose Allison played in New Orleans over the weekend. Good trio effect. great keyboard rolling notes.

By sEmIllAmA on Friday, November 12, 1999 - 02:10 pm:

Reggae on teh Rez festival in Baraga, MI. Great erpformances by little known acts from all over the place. Sugar Minott will come if they can scrape together $5000 for his fee.

By Rhiannon on Friday, November 12, 1999 - 03:33 pm:

I haven't been to any since the NY jazz festival this June. But a friend has it in mind to take me to see Bob Dylan next saturday, so I might have an update.

By Patrick on Friday, November 12, 1999 - 03:38 pm:

i am going to see some local shit tonight at spaceland........it's free cover......

last friday i saw a great local band called WACO....if they come to your town i recommend you check them out...sort of a mix between Roxy Music, T-Rex and Television. Great song writing behind them

By Rhiannon on Friday, November 12, 1999 - 03:40 pm:

WACO...I've heard good things about them. The singer has a very strange voice, supposedly. I've looked all over for their stuff but haven't been able to find any.

By Patrick on Friday, November 12, 1999 - 03:50 pm:

Steven is a great singer/piano player, very emotional......he is originally from boston and played music there, he has been around...I see him all the go damned time and he loves flirting with nico and she likes talking with him..in fact i ran into him yesterday here in my bldg. they just had a cd come out. your local shop should have them.

the band is comprised of about 10-12 members including a violin, flute, clarinet, trumpet, trombone and piano in addition to guitar, bass and drums.

they are probably one of the best LA bands around

By Antigone on Friday, November 12, 1999 - 07:46 pm:

I saw James Taylor in the Myerson Symphony hall in Dallas last night. Great stuff. He stayed away from his regular stuff for the most part and did alot of interesting music. He was accompanied by the Dallas symphony and while the arangements were sometimes kinda simplistic, it was satisfying overall...

The stories he told between pieces were the best part of the show, though. He was very responsive to the audience.

By Rhiannon on Friday, November 12, 1999 - 08:03 pm:

I have been laughed at more than once for my adoration of James Taylor. "Sweet Baby James" always makes me want to cry. His voice is so lonely and soft.

By Patrick on Friday, November 12, 1999 - 08:10 pm:

rightfully so Ms. Rhiannon, i loved it when he sang for homer and the other astronauts on the simpsons

By Gee on Friday, November 12, 1999 - 10:50 pm:

The last concert I went to was Spirit of the West. They were fantastic. They were about ten times better than the last time I saw them and they were wonderful then. When I got home I sent them an e-mail to thank them. Wait, I said that part already.

I've never jumped at a concert before. It's a lot of fun.

~

"I was tired of being put right down by myself for not being what you'd thought you'd found. Pulled hard in two directions by a desire to learn, and my old affections. When I tried to share my world with you, you could not seem to tolerate the people I had grown to love; they shrank under your scrutiny, became the ones you'd hate."

By Antigone on Saturday, November 13, 1999 - 01:05 am:

I don't laugh at that, Rhi. I've got "Sweet Baby James" memorized...

By semillama on Saturday, November 13, 1999 - 01:57 am:

Go see Dylan, Rhiannon. That was the second-to-last concert I saw (w/ Paul Simon in Duluth). Excellent show, i had no idea how creative they get with the tunes and how good a guitarist Dylan is. Highly recommended, and I don't even listen to him!

As for JT, well, never connected with his vibe. Of course, I realize my old school devotion to Iron Maiden is probably unique to these boards...

By agatha on Saturday, November 13, 1999 - 03:51 am:

i like james taylor and iron maiden. i went to see james taylor with my friend heidi once and she took acid and couldn't stop dancing. it was hilarious. also, my sister and i used to make tapes of our singing the popular tunes, we taped "you've got a friend" one time. i wonder if it's still around at my old house.

By Antigone on Saturday, November 13, 1999 - 11:44 am:

I like Guns 'n' Roses and James Taylor. It matters the mood I'm in. (JT more often, though...)

By Semillama on Saturday, November 13, 1999 - 10:34 pm:

i just sent off for a cd full of the best "Bob" songs. I don't think there's any James Taylor on there, unless he joined the Swinging Love Corpses recently.

By Rhiannon on Saturday, November 20, 1999 - 02:29 pm:

I'm seeing Bob Dylan tonight. The only songs of his I've heard and liked are "The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll" and "Masters of War." Do you think maybe the gods will smile upon me and he'll play one or both of them?

I'm going to have to see what happens. I'm going with my friend L. and practically her entire family and various friends...I think there'll be 12 of us total. I usually don't travel with such a horde of people, so that in itself will make the evening interesting.

I kind of don't want to go, but I mean....it's Bob Dylan! How can I not see him when I have the chance?

By semillama on Saturday, November 20, 1999 - 04:50 pm:

exactly, and you probably will be glad you did.

By Rhiannon on Sunday, November 21, 1999 - 01:11 am:

I just got back. Dork that I am, I run here first to tell you all about it.

There's not much to tell, because I only knew two of the songs....WHICH WERE: "Highway 61 Revisited" and "Like a Rolling Stone"!!! Never in my life did I ever think that I'd actually see and hear with my own two eyes and ears Bob Dylan playing those songs right in front of me. Too cool for words.

It was a big place, for me anyway. Capacity 10,000 I think, and it was pretty full. The crowd was half old/half young and very enthusiastic. Dancing all over the place. They rushed the stage halfway through, and people actually were taking out their lighters and waving them around and stuff. I thought that was limited to '80s U2 concerts, but obviously not. There were an awful lot of mullets running around, so maybe that influenced things.

We were to the left of the stage, in the middle of the seats...good view.

It was nice. I'm glad I went.

By droop on Sunday, November 21, 1999 - 03:36 am:

i'm waiting in third person i'm collecting dispersing information labaled rations

bob dylan wrote propaganda songs

manifestos are my windows and my proof locations and more rations outline my route

bob dylan wrote propaganda songs

-minutemen

glad you had a good time. i am spooky drunk. and that's pure joy.

By semillama on Sunday, November 21, 1999 - 03:51 pm:

"spooky drunk" - like that.

By Patrick on Monday, November 22, 1999 - 06:12 pm:

stereolab last night, very good

By Gee on Tuesday, November 23, 1999 - 01:12 am:

I hope to go see Captain Tractor this weekend. I placed a plea on the mailing list (shut up) asking if anyone knew where I could find some decent CT pictures to add to my Concert Going Tee-Shirt. If any of you web wizards know where I can find some, I'll love you forever.

By Patrick on Tuesday, November 23, 1999 - 01:10 pm:

did anypne see the simpons last night, do they even rerun them on your local network?

it's the episode where Homer joins the Navy reserve......fucking classic!

Captin tractor????

where do you find the crazy bands "spirit of the West " "creed" "captain tractor"...wtf ?

By Gee on Wednesday, November 24, 1999 - 02:24 am:

"Creed" isn't one of my bands. I don't think I know who they are.

Spirit of the West is and always will be my favorite of all musical type people. I adore them.

Captain Tractor is similer to them, but not quite as good. Their voices and songs aren't as good. But don't hold it against them, I would say that about Anyone in comparison to SotW. CT's latest album is a little more mainstream than their earilier stuff, which they've taken a bit of flack for. I still like it, though. It's not as peppy, but the songs are still good.

The great thing about SotW (I may have mentioned this before) is how they seem to reinvent themselves with every album. They've got 11 now, I think, and each one is different from the one before it. It's amazing how they've grown from their early work, too.

The boy I made out with (who likes them) took my face in both his hands the other day and said to me "They're good, but they're not the best." I expected him to kiss me then, but he didn't, so I just said "They Are the best." I was thinking about asking him if he wants to go see Captain Tractor with me. I think he'd like them.

Do you guys know who Bif Naked is?

By Patrick on Wednesday, November 24, 1999 - 12:32 pm:

you candians are so freakin weird!

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, November 24, 1999 - 12:39 pm:

Bif Naked? Yes. She's cute.

By Gee on Wednesday, November 24, 1999 - 01:09 pm:

I think she is too.

By Rhiannon on Saturday, March 4, 2000 - 11:15 am:

I saw the Folk Implosion last night. Actually, it was just Lou Barlow, his guitar, and little machine that had pre-recorded drums and some other bass parts on it (don't know what the machine is called).

He played for over 2 hours.

Over. 2. Hours.

Yeesh.

He was in good form, though. Lord, what a pretty voice he has. He sang this really pretty song, called "No Need to Worry", that had a line in it that goes, "I won't know who I am until you leave me." It was a very beautiful, sad song.

He also played a cover of Foreigner's "Cold As Ice," also making it sound sad and pretty. He's good at that.

His partner, John Davis, wasn't there. I heard rumours that they hated each other now, but I didn't get that sense last night. Lou referred to him as "his friend," and John left a message on that little machine explaining why he couldn't make it, but the sound was muffled and I couldn't hear it.

It was a very good show.

By semillama on Saturday, March 4, 2000 - 07:37 pm:

last live show I saw was the Little Blue Crunchy Things, in Stevens Point. Ehn.

By Isolde on Saturday, March 4, 2000 - 09:29 pm:

Last show I saw was Tosca at the SF opera a couple of years ago, and it sucked big green monkey dicks.

By JusMiceElf on Sunday, March 5, 2000 - 12:17 am:

I've only heard a little bit of Folk Implosion. My friend Mike played a tape for me when we were renovating my attic. I can't remember if Mike had toured with them, but I think so. I know that his band toured with Sebadoh last year, and opened for Sebadoh in Boston, when they played with Flaming Lips and Robyn Hitchcock.

I think the last concert I saw was Natalie MacMaster in November, and before that was Robyn Hitchcock on Halloween. My damn schedule keeps me from getting to most of the good shows around here.

By Jina on Sunday, March 5, 2000 - 04:11 am:

I saw Bif Naked in concert at Edgefest in Vancouver. I was jumping around so much that I started blacking out so I tried stumbling out of the crowd and had to laid down. I felt like such a dork. And I wanted to keep going. I had no idea what caused it. I think I forgot to breath.

I saw the Watchmen there, in the rain with my husband. It was so romantic that I cried, but the tears weren't visible; they just mixed with the rain. There was a tarp everyone was standing under, and I held his cold wet hand. I knew we were feeling the same thing. They were on the mini stage for christ's sake, I could not believe (so were the Killjoys). The lead singer sang some song in a capella and it was like time had stopped and everything was good. I got those goosebumps.

Everybody there was stoned. And I had to take a drug test the next day. Everybody. EVERYBODY.

This kid was walking around with a sign that said SMILE, and as he came to me holding it, I looked up from the sign to see him there cracking up laughing. In the rain.

By patrick on Monday, March 6, 2000 - 12:29 pm:

last wekend, i saw Lazy Cowgirls, and local sensations, The Neurotones, very Cramps-esq rockabilly.....took photos for the band, behind on processing, subjects and models just don't understand the work after the pics are takin......spreading myself too thin......

looking forward to the Nashville Pussy show in a week or two...

By _____ on Monday, March 6, 2000 - 03:50 pm:

i saw the bad brains, *ahem* SOUL brains, the weekend before last. it may be my last show ever. i can no longer handle being in a crowded rooms like that anymore. so, either all of you people stay home and i'll go, or i'll stay home.

you know where to find me.

oh yeah, HR is totally nuts. what's with the fake ethiopian accent? dork.

By semillama on Monday, March 6, 2000 - 06:13 pm:

Nashville Pussy? Better be careful there, Patrick.

By patrick on Monday, March 6, 2000 - 06:17 pm:

explain grasshoppa

By Markus on Monday, March 6, 2000 - 07:08 pm:

Nashville Pussy was in DC a couple weeks back.

By Rhiannon on Monday, March 6, 2000 - 10:04 pm:

Are they anything like the Supersuckers?

I got the Folk Implosion's "One Part Lullaby" yesterday. I love it. It's perfect music for driving past cornfields in the summer with the windows down. The title track is really, really pretty.

One Part Lullaby

"Life is one part lullaby, two parts fear" – Oscar Wilde

One part lullaby, two parts fear
    Another animal mixing with the atmosphere
    It takes forever to learn to pretend
    Nature is the enemy, weather is not your friend

Who can be trusted?
    With perfect weather inside
    Look for magic in the daily routine
    It’s all it takes to survive

Leaving heaven below
    Go wherever the angels follow

I’m watching my body and mind divide
    Why live for a future that never arrives on time?

I can’t be trusted, I’m dust in the wind
    I let the weather decide where my day begins
    I’m not a rebel or the natural one
    I’m in love with the chemical following the setting sun

Lost my patience
    All that it takes to survive
    Watching my mind and my body divide

Leaving heaven below
    Go wherever the angels follow

One Part Lullaby, two parts fear
    Another animal, mixing with the atmosphere
    One part lullaby, two parts fear

I’m watching my body and mind divide

http://www.folkimplosion.com

Hey, Sem, would you recommend that new Yo La Tengo album?

By Gee on Tuesday, March 7, 2000 - 12:10 am:

"Dublin Lullaby"

(chorus)
    We're gonna drink and fight and drink and fight
    And drink and fight some more
    When the drinking's done, grab anyone
    And go and fight some more
    So grab your friends and neighbours
    And punch them in the eye
    And raise another glass to sing
    The Dublin Lullaby

O'Leary was a bastard
    I gave his head a crack
    I drank a pint of Guiness
    And puked all over his back
    O'Shaunnesy was sickened
    With Paddy in the back
    When Irish eyes are smiling
    We'll punch them till they're black

(chorus)

O'Leary and O'Connell
    Had been drinking pretty hard
    Had been sitting for a fortnight
    With Clancy at the bar
    He got so stewed
    That when he spewed
    We swore he must have drowned
    So we kicked his ass
    Raised a glass
    And bought another round

(chorus)

Well I went out with O'Leary to Old Macdonald's wake
    We drank a lot of stout and ale
    And ate a lot of cake
    O'Malley's singing Danny Boy
    And filled my eyes with tears
    So I kicked his nuts
    Right into his guts
    And had another beer

(chorus x3)

By J on Tuesday, March 7, 2000 - 12:32 pm:

I have tickets to see The Reverend Horton Heat on April 6th at the Bash on Ash,I love that guy.

By semillama on Tuesday, March 7, 2000 - 06:59 pm:

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, June 13, 2000 - 08:10 pm:

Punx not dead, babies.

For my birthday, I went out on Sunday night and saw 6x7 and New Wet Kojak at the Khyber in Philly.

6x7 is my new obsession. Sadly, their new full-length -- "The Closer You Get" -- doesn't emit the same power as their live show. Their music was really scary in a sound-of-distant-thunder-that-is-really-German-tanks-approaching kind of way, if you know what I'm saying. And they used a strobe light. For real. In time with the music. Freaky. Their drummer was awe-inspiring.

New Wet Kojak is Scott and Johnny from Girls Against Boys, plus Nick Pelliciotto, Geoff Turner, and Charles Bennington. Very smooth. Very sexy. Very kick-ass.

I was on cloud 9 because they played "You Got Some Dog"...the sultriest song ever. Just ever. And what's neat about the song is that the words are squeaky clean...it's the music that's so dirty. That's good for my conscience.

"Your skin is my life / your breath is my oxygen / your skin is my disease / your breath is my life / and when I rise I do not rise / and when I fall I do not fall / and when I sleep I do not sleep / and when I wake I do not wake / and when that dog comes round the track / I shine my teeth / and I prepare for the feast / and when I crawl I just crawl to your door."

All day long I've had a 6x7 song in my head, and sadly, the only words are "another love song / it is written / still nothing to say." Ow.

By patrick on Tuesday, June 13, 2000 - 08:17 pm:

6x7 is a photographic format, just so you know. it refers to the size of the negative.

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, June 13, 2000 - 08:44 pm:

6x7's singer is not very photogenic. And he manages to be ugly and attractive at the very same time, which makes him very interesting to look at.

http://www.sixbyseven.co.uk

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, June 13, 2000 - 08:45 pm:

Eek. I meant to say "*But* he manages...."

By Dougie on Tuesday, June 13, 2000 - 10:01 pm:

If he's the one closest to the camera, he looks like Keith Moon.

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, June 13, 2000 - 10:40 pm:

Yeah, that's him. But he doesn't look like Keith Moon in real life. He looks kind of like George Clooney, but with a little ugliness mixed in. But he's not ugly.

When I watched them play, I thought to myself, "he looks your standard brooding, tortured artist....wouldn't it be really funny if he were actually light-hearted and cheerful?"

And just now I read an interview with him in which he talks about getting ready to kill himself but deciding not to, then falling in love with a girl (now his wife) and being giddy with nervousness and love when he was around her. So I was right about both things!

By J on Tuesday, June 13, 2000 - 11:04 pm:

I met Pete Townsend and Keith Moon eons ago,long story we never did get to Roger Daltery who is who we wanted to get at.Anyway they were drunk and pouring ketsup on lettace leaves and throwing them on the ceiling of the Del Web,Pete told Debbie Paulson she had a big ass so she got pissed off and we left.She did have a big ass though,but they had bad teeth.It was the won,t get fooled again tour.

By semillama on Wednesday, June 14, 2000 - 08:56 am:

Last live show I saw was Erik Koskinen at the Superior Music Cafe in my home town. the next one, who knows? maybe something in portland.

By Wisper on Tuesday, June 20, 2000 - 08:30 pm:

i just saw nine inch nails with a perfect circle, and i will never have to see another concert again.

yes indeedy, i am a corporate rock whore.

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, June 21, 2000 - 07:31 pm:

For Semillama, as promised:

The New Orleans Klezmer All-Stars totally rocked. First of all, every single one of them is a brilliant musician. Especially the clarinet player. Good God almighty, that man can play.

The coolest thing was listening to all the different, constantly-changing rhythms. They never played the same beat for more than 30 seconds. Awesome drummer. He broke the head on one of his snares on the second song.

At least 3 guys had family in Philadelphia. One guy (the guitarist) brought his grandmother, and someone else's brother-in-law was there celebrating his wedding anniversary. Therefore, A) there was a lot of energy in the crowd because most people (it seemed) knew the band members personally...and B) there was a lot of interaction with the audience.

Sadly, as you know, the Tin Angel was not a venue conducive to dancing, but two people found a little spot by the stage and were dancing the whole time. They were cute to watch.

I went with my mother. She really enjoyed herself. As did I.

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, June 21, 2000 - 07:32 pm:

PS. I'm really going to have to learn some new phrases to describe music I like. "Kick ass" and "totally rock" aren't enough.

By Jay on Wednesday, June 21, 2000 - 09:42 pm:

how bout "they went off"
    "they were blowing up"
    "they were the shit"
    "tight as hell"
    "they were on"
    or if the band sucked:
    "they blew the camels ass right out"

By Spider on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 04:06 pm:

I saw Sonic Youth on Saturday! It was so exciting! Let me tell you all about it:

1) They played the Trocadero in Philly.

2) Tickets were sold out over the phone and they weren't selling any at the door, so we (5 of us) had to walk up and down the line outside and beg for extra tickets. We all got in...hooray!

3) They played (not in this order):

*Brother James
    *Drunken Butterfly
    *The Burning Spear
    *Kool Thing
    *100%
    *NYC Ghosts and Flowers
    *Small Flowers Crack Concrete
    *Free City Rhymes
    *Side2Side
    *Tom Violence
    *Teenage Riot
    *something none of us recognized ("She's not alone today," Thurston kept repeating)
    *a medley done by Lee...parts of Theresa's Sound World

4) They were very, very good. Thank God they exist.

5) Kim really is very sexy. Just so you know.

6) The crowd was very enthusiastic, very young, and very dirty. Oh, God, the stench off the guy in front of us! Ineffable.

7) Next Friday, the Folk Implosion with the Melvins! Ha! At the TLA in Philly.

By cyst on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 04:24 pm:

steve fisk, the shins in seattle at the crocodile last thursday. very nice.

By semillama on Tuesday, April 24, 2001 - 05:05 pm:

The Kitchen Syncopators on Royal St. on Saturday afternoon.

By Skooter on Wednesday, April 25, 2001 - 08:55 am:

Bernie Larson (of Cry on Cue) and Amani Qubeka, at the Motherlode coffee house in Houghton Mi, last night. It was an unplugged (somewhat) reggae jam which had people up on their feet for three hours. Bernie had to play three encores. Amani IS the guy in the Jurassic 5 video "Quality Control" that is eating a sandwhich and the bowl of soup that one of the MCs is floating in. They are both really awesome. Hey, those of you in Philly, ever heard or seen Mia Johnson play? She's awesome.

By wisper on Friday, April 27, 2001 - 07:57 pm:

Went to listen to Henry Rollins talk a few
    months back. Holy fuck. He went for almost 3
    hours and only took 2 tiny sips of water. He
    didn't re-tell anything an any of his cds, either.
    That man is a god.

By Skooter on Saturday, April 28, 2001 - 11:07 am:

Last night I saw Gild (from Duluth), Erik Koskinen (from Houghton) and Cry on Cue (used to be from Houghton, now in California). Gild was allright, they have a lovely female singer, and a solid rythem section. Erik now has a full band, playing blues like a motherfucker, with one of the best elad guitarist I have ever seen, and cry on cue is always a 2-1/2 houe reaggae party, with positive vibes and good love. Kick ass show.

By semillama on Saturday, April 28, 2001 - 11:37 am:

Erik doesn't have that same bunch of wankers that played at the last Superior Music Cafe show does he? Those guys are retards. Bernie agrees with me, I talked with him about those guys.

ALl the shows that are coming here next month that I want to see are coming during the week, when I will be in Appalachia.

By Skooter on Saturday, April 28, 2001 - 04:16 pm:

Hey Semillama, I taled with bernie last night and he said he did NOT get that booking info, so send again this time with a header of "DO NOT ERASE", since he gets junk from record companies all the time and might have deleted it. He is doing well, ready to start writing a new solo record soon.
    Don't know about the band he had with him last time, this time there was an older 50-ish lead guitarist, and 20-ish stocky bassplayer and a 30-ish drummer, but they really did sound great. Cry on Cue did Brother John, and Wasteland last night, both songs I haven't heard in a long long time.

By semillama on Sunday, April 29, 2001 - 03:28 pm:

thanks. I don't have bernie's personal email only the corporate one.

By Spider on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 10:06 am:

Dale Crover is a manifestation of God.

By patrick on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 12:00 pm:

ok,...finally a music show i can speak of. I saw Leather Hymen, Double Naught Spycar. Nikki Taylor, Accoustic Guitar Trio with Rod Poole, Jim McAuley and Nels Cline, Ape HAs Killed Ape, and Radio Vago.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact