Alice Walker -- "The Third Life of Grange Copeland"

sorabji.com: Last book you read: Alice Walker -- "The Third Life of Grange Copeland"
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By R.C. on Saturday, January 3, 1998 - 11:25 pm:
    I see how this works now! You have to put in a heading/or your post appears under whatever the last post was. Duh!

By Loida on Wednesday, February 4, 1998 - 09:16 am:
    Any Book reviews on "The Third Life of Grange Copeland"?
    I'd appreciate a location if there is one.

Please e-mail any info to Loida@rocketmail.com

Thanks.

By R.C. on Wednesday, February 4, 1998 - 08:52 pm:
    Skip the reviews. Read the book. You'll be glad you did. I think it's even better than 'The Color Purple' .

By Brooklyn B. on Tuesday, May 12, 1998 - 09:39 am:
    I am a female. If I like to look at other females'
    figures, does that mean that deep down inside
    i am a lesbian? Someone please respond.

By Blindswine on Tuesday, May 12, 1998 - 03:49 pm:
    i dunno...

but maybe we can get together in park slope and conduct some...

"tests"

By Blindswine on Tuesday, May 12, 1998 - 03:49 pm:
    i dunno...

but maybe we can get together in park slope and conduct some...

"tests"

By Brooklyn B. on Saturday, May 23, 1998 - 06:44 am:
    Are you male or female?

By Blindswine on Saturday, June 6, 1998 - 09:53 pm:
    By Blindswine,
    i'm female and lesbian

By Kelsey on Sunday, June 7, 1998 - 12:00 am:
    get outta town, blindswine.

By Blindswine on Sunday, June 7, 1998 - 01:51 pm:
    heh...

already got outta town a long time ago, kelsey...

and i'm male and straight, as i'm sure you've already gathered...

seems like we got one too many sightless pigs around here.

By James on Sunday, November 8, 1998 - 03:20 pm:

I thought this was a page for "The Third Life of Grange Copeland," not for a bunch of fags.

By R.C. on Sunday, November 8, 1998 - 05:59 pm:

If you wanna post something abt the novel/ you're welcome. If you wanna call people nasty names/then go somewhere else.

By James on Monday, November 9, 1998 - 04:11 pm:

Fuck you R.C. I'll call you fags whatever I want to call you. If you're going to name your webpage "The Third Life of Grange Copeland," then talk about the novel. If you're not going to talk about the novel, then rename your webpage to "House of Fags" or something gay like that. Thanks for your time.

By MoonUnit on Monday, November 9, 1998 - 07:09 pm:

Geez SOMEBODY got up on the wrong side of bed this morning....

*hehehe*

By R.C. on Monday, November 9, 1998 - 08:48 pm:

1st of all: the entire board is no longer at this site. It was archived by our host/or else part of it has been deleted to save space. And I have yet to see YOU offer any on comments on the novel.

2nd -- Fuck you if you can't take a joke! If you try to determine people's sex. prefs. by the madness they post here/you're in for a rude awakening.

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Tuesday, November 10, 1998 - 01:02 am:

R.C. ROCKS!!!!!!!

By R.C. on Tuesday, November 10, 1998 - 10:14 pm:

It ain't abt that, Jim. It's just that every time I turn around/some asshole is here calling somebody a faggot. It's practically a daily occurence at Sorabji now. And I'm reaaallllly fucking sick of it.

I'm just waiting for the gay Colin Ferguson to make his presence felt one day... the 1st gay man to Go Postal in the U.S.of A. I'm just waiting to turn on CNN & see bloody bodies all over some street in some middle-American town /where some previously law-abiding gay male got called out of his name/or followed down the street/or threatened w/harm/one time too many. But on this particular day/he pulled out an automatic & mowed muthafuckers down in a fit of rage. And the press will go wild. And the religious right will start preaching fire & brimstone. And GLAD will be beside itself trying to condemn the shootings publicly/while in private gays & lesbians whisper to each other "Wonder why it took so long..."

After that day/assholes will start thinking twice before calling anybody a faggot again. Even on a message board.

And when it does go down/I sincerely hope it's someone in the military. Who's a crack shot.

And I'll be the 1st one to send a check to his legal defense fund.

By R.C. on Tuesday, November 10, 1998 - 10:14 pm:

It ain't abt that, Jim. It's just that every time I turn around/some asshole is here calling somebody a faggot. It's practically a daily occurence at Sorabji now. And I'm reaaallllly fucking sick of it.

I'm just waiting for the gay Colin Ferguson to make his presence felt one day... the 1st gay man to Go Postal in the U.S.of A. I'm just waiting to turn on CNN & see bloody bodies all over some street in some middle-American town /where some previously law-abiding gay male got called out of his name/or followed down the street/or threatened w/harm/one time too many. But on this particular day/he pulled out an automatic & mowed muthafuckers down in a fit of rage. And the press will go wild. And the religious right will start preaching fire & brimstone. And GLAD will be beside itself trying to condemn the shootings publicly/while in private gays & lesbians whisper to each other "Wonder why it took so long..."

After that day/assholes will start thinking twice before calling anybody a faggot again. Even on a message board.

And when it does go down/I sincerely hope it's someone in the military. Who's a crack shot.

And I'll be the 1st one to send a check to his legal defense fund.

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Tuesday, November 10, 1998 - 10:49 pm:

RC you can be on MY team anytime honey! You're the greatest!

By Me.............. on Wednesday, November 11, 1998 - 10:48 am:

Wow, Jim & R.C.-Way to go! I'm so impressed I'm even using capital letters!!! Really, you guys are right and the homophobic James can take a flying leap to some other Web Page. Keep on keepin' on R.C. & Jim. I'm new around here, but you guys definitely are a couple of the coolest I've read,so far.. I know some of the stuff I've posted here has been pretty bizarre. I will persevere, though, & perhaps, someday, I'll post the "great post" and become the World's Most Famous Poster!!!!

By Blindswine on Wednesday, November 11, 1998 - 01:13 pm:

wow.

that's some pretty fucked-up disturbing shit.

i remember when Colin Ferguson went Johhny AK on the LIR. i don't recall thinking "what took so long for a brother to start randomly capping a bunch of white folks".

that's not retribution.
    it's just evil.

right or wrong, i'd probably feel a bit differently if he'd walked into certain precincts (especially in brooklyn) and started filling cops full of lead, or directed his assault towards more directly guilty parties. at least that would have fallen somewhere in the realm of "reason".

supporting the "black rage" defense that Bill Kunstler and Ron Kuby were trying to peddle in the U.S. Courts is not only unscruplous but dangerous. the idea that any individual who is part of a group of people who have been oppressed may fly off the handle and start indiscriminately killing innocents is downright dehumanizing. not to mention it begs to give credence to racist ideas.
    (blacks are vicious animals, gays are unstable perverts, etc., etc...)

"black rage" is no more a valid defense than "white rage", "gay rage", or "short, cross-eyed, fat-guy rage".

if we're gonna embrace that nihilistic shit, we might as well just all go out, buy high-powered rifles and start blowing eachother away right now.

By Blindswine on Wednesday, November 11, 1998 - 02:23 pm:

after re-reading your post i see you were talking about righteous vigilantism rather than angry, indiscriminate murder. so...

nevermind.

i'd write the guy a check, too.

By James on Wednesday, November 11, 1998 - 04:50 pm:

Fist of all, fuck all of ya'll. I don't know who the fuck Colon Ferguson is (probably some fagget idol) and I don't care. R.C., Jim, and Me.... can kiss my ass. All I wanted was to get some fucking info on The Third life.., and I run into a bunch of psycho, mass murdering, vigilante, fudge-packin faggets.

The only one who was making any sense was Blindswine. If a fagget goes and kills a bunch of mutherfuckas just because somebody called him a fagget, then he deserves to be called a fagget. Just because he doesn't have enough self-pride and confidence in his own sexuality doesn't give him the right to go and murder a crowd of people.

Oh, and by the way R.C., I don't see you making any contribution about The Third Life either. So get off of my sac, BITCH. And if part of the board has been archived or deleted by the host, don't you think you should let a muthafucka know?

I hope that the fagget you all are preachimg about goes off in the mall and kills all of you. Would it be right then? You stupid-ass bitches.

By Blindswine on Wednesday, November 11, 1998 - 05:26 pm:

By Me................... on Wednesday, November 11, 1998 - 05:42 pm:

right on, Blindswine!!! -and I'd kiss your ass, James, but its too hard to tell which is the front & which is the back. (Looks like ALL ass from here!!!!)) Love you, too,sweet baby James!

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Wednesday, November 11, 1998 - 08:50 pm:

*singing*

Kumbaya my Lord... Kumbaya...

By NZAngel on Wednesday, November 11, 1998 - 09:31 pm:

Oh Lordy Kumbaya...

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Wednesday, November 11, 1998 - 10:39 pm:

I'm gonna rock-UH my soul in the bosom of Abraham.. rock-UH my soul...

By R.C. on Wednesday, November 11, 1998 - 11:55 pm:

{{Hey Blindswine!}} Longtime, my brother!

BTW -- I'm taking you to the Oscars if I win. And if you're up for it. Details to follow...

Y'know James/all of what you find so amazingly threatening here started w/Brooklyn B's post abt digging looking at women. Which you conveniently overlooked. Becuz the idea of 2 women is probably something you can 'realte' to. When I started this board/it wasn't abt sex -- it was abt "Grange Copeland". IN answer to the query "What Was the Last Book You Read? ". But I have no control over what gets archived or deleted to save space. And I shure as hell ain't responsible for updating yr ass -- take that up w/the management. No one wanted to discuss the novel/so this thread morphed into something else. Something silly & meaningless /which had nothing to do w/anyone's actual sexual preferences. That kind of thing happens a lot here.

But if you're so offended or threatened by what you see here WHY THE FUCK DO YOU KEEP COMING BACK? If we're all such a bunch of lame "fudge-packin faggets"/then move the fuck on to someplace where the company suits you better.

Or if you REALLY wanna discuss "Grange Copeland"/you can post something abt the novel. No one's stopping you. If yr ignorant-ass has ever even read the shit... And if you're gonna call someone a bundle of sticks/learn to fucking spell it properly. Helps the credibility factor considerably.

By Me.................... on Thursday, November 12, 1998 - 10:38 am:

Whoa, R.C. - Way to go !!!!! I'm sorry I haven't even read the book, but I'm reading a really good one by Grace Slick , called "Somebody To Love ?" - anyone else read that?If so, maybe we can start a new page for that book....

By Me.......... on Thursday, November 12, 1998 - 10:40 am:

Oh, and I forgot "oh, Rock-uh my Soul !!!!"

By Agatha on Thursday, November 12, 1998 - 12:09 pm:

i'm reading a book called "feersum endjin" by iain m. banks. it's some crazy sci fi book. i like it, so far. for school, i am reading two lighting tech books, one book called "flash of the spirit" by robert farris thompson (cool guy, but he writes pretty academically), and a book called "decolonizing the mind: the politics of language in african literature" by ngugi wa thiong'o. that guy is ultra cool. readable, yet intelligent beyond any aspirations i may have. i never read "the secret life", but i did read "meridian". that was really good. the best books in that genre i think i have ever read were "bailey's cafe" by gloria naylor, which was an excellent book, and "sassafrass, cypress, and indigo" by ntozake shange. that book was also completely amazing. i read "stella gets her groove back" recently, i was not overly impressed. i like her style of writing, but her content is kind of soap opera-y. if that could function for a word for just the length of this post. just thought i would attempt to steer this back in the direction of books, so maybe jamesophobe would go away. how's that for you, james? i'm talking about books, will that work okay for you? sneer...

By Blindswine on Thursday, November 12, 1998 - 12:30 pm:

Oscars?

i'm definitely down with that.
    they run an open bar for that gig, right?

i can't pull up the link you added...

you send me a working link while i go shopping for a tux and we'll hash out the details later.

By Me......... on Thursday, November 12, 1998 - 01:18 pm:

Ever read any poetry by Leonard Cohen or listened to his music? Really good!! Actually, I like good ole' horror novels, too. Steven King, Dean Koontz, John Saul, etc. Medical Suspense is very cool, too-Robin Cook, Michael Palmer, Tess Gerritsen (sp?), etc. I've been reading a lot of true murder cases, also.

Since I work in the field of Recovery, I read a lot of recovery-oriented and self-help books...... John Bradshaw & Claudia Black are good. Input????

By R.C. on Friday, November 13, 1998 - 01:09 am:

I've never gotten much outta self-help books. The Bible is the best one I've come across so far. And even that doesn't cover all the gnarly stuff one sometimes faces. But for a 2000 yr-old anthology/the cast of characters runs the gamut of folks you cd run into anywhere in present-day life. Which is what I dig most abt the Bible.

I think if self-help books really worked/we'd be so enlightened as a species that we wd've evolved right off the planet & into the next dimension by now.

I just got off the phone w/my homegirl in Brooklyn. She sent me a whole box of books for my birfday. (And the fucking postal service delivery schmuck just left it sitting on my doorstep! I didn't get home til 9:00 & there it was -- in plain sight for anybody to steal! Can't believe that shit...I thought Priority Mail service means they leave a note on yr door if you're not home/& you can stop by the p.o. & pick up yr package...) Inc. 2 novels by Gayl Jones/who I was shamefully ignorant of til recently. So I've got brainfood to last me til the end of the month!

I'm starting with "Eva's Man". If anyone out there had read it/or anything else by Gayl Jones/pls. jump into the fray. She's a complete enigma in the pub. industry -- as reclusive as J.D. Salinger. I cdn't find any interviews she'd done at any of the search engines. But she was nominated for a National Book Award recently/ so maybe she'll have to show her face.

God, I love good books!

By Me............. on Friday, November 13, 1998 - 12:44 pm:

Yeah, I can relate to that!!! I have not read that book and in fact, I have not heard of Gayl Jones. I,too am shamefully ignorant. Anyone read "Fatal Analysis" by Dr. Martin Obler & Thomas Clavin?? It's pretty damn good, but then, I like books about very disturbed people. Really. The stranger the better.....I know! I bet one of youse guys have read "Metamorphosis" by Franz Kafka?????

By Mel on Friday, November 13, 1998 - 01:25 pm:

Me love Kafka. One of my favorites by him is a more obscure little story called "The Burrow". It's just about a burrowing animal (a badger, say, but K.'s animals are always dream-indeterminate) and his solitary daily routines and prides and worries. There's really nothing in terms of a story, but it does draw you in. It isn't about extraordinary circumstances, it's about day-to-day struggle.

I could go on and on about "Metamorphosis", but you'd hate me for it as though I were a bug.

By Me..................... on Friday, November 13, 1998 - 02:04 pm:

Come on, Mel, go ahead and go on and on........
    And I could never hate you as much for being like a bug than the people Kafka writes about in "Metamorphosis". Poor cockroach got an apple imbedded in his poor buggy back....I guess this was an early view of discrimination-possibly racism. Whadda ya think?

By Ill stop the world and Mel with you on Friday, November 13, 1998 - 03:48 pm:

Awwrighty.

Nabokov put forth a convincing argument that Gregor was in fact a beetle, not a roach. In the story, char woman calls him a "mistkafer", which I think means dung beetle. Not that it matters; it's just that it's easier for me to love Gregor as a beetle.

You probably have a point about the discrimination/racism. Kafka was a German-speaking Jew living in Prague, and I'm sure he was discriminated against. But it was his father who threw the apple at him. I've always read the story in a more personal way. His turning into a bug was his own sense of self-hatred, like those times when I'm so low I don't even want people to look at me because I must look as repulsive as I feel.

Hard to say where all of these feelings of loathing started, it's as though I woke up one morning and....

shooby-doo.

By Me................ on Friday, November 13, 1998 - 04:11 pm:

I used to have those feelings, too - now I take Prozac.....Sorry, that was shallow. Have you read "The Sufferings of Young Werther" By Von Goethe?
    I know its off the subject, but this whole website is-so it just really doesn't matter....Kafka , I really can relate to the feelings hidden in this little story- I know what you mean- but if it's self-loathing you've got, then I should think you would desire to identify with a baser-sounding creature than a beetle-I mean a -Cockroach!!!!

By Melcontent on Friday, November 13, 1998 - 05:47 pm:

Ah Me.......... oh my, I don't need no stinkin' Prozac! I've done a bit of time in the therapists office and taken the drugs, but it was wrong for me. I knew I'd never take control of my life unless I did it alone. I've met therapists in my life who weren't even able to think for themselves, who simply followed a model. Consequently they turned out "well-adjusted" patients of the same ilk(sp?). Many people I know who went to therapy and came out "better" reverted back to their old ways eventually, like a dieter after her time at Jenny Craig's is over.

If I come here and talk about self-loathing or whatever else I may have said, it ultimately has to do with me embracing it and putting it to a more productive use. As opposed to Prozac-induced dismissiveness.

Gads! Vehement, wadn't I? Do not take offense mon amie moi, it's just that I have strong feelings about therapy and even stronger ones about you-just-can't-feel-that-way talk.

Never read that Goethe, might try it though.

The beetle as opposed to cockroach thing may have to do with my hatred of cockroaches and my unwillingness to see myself as one.

Damn, I've worked up an appetite.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact