the book i am reading right now

sorabji.com: Last book you read: the book i am reading right now
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Mavis on Thursday, July 6, 2000 - 03:09 pm:

the mole people
    it's nonfiction about homeless folks who have gone underground to live. it's pretty interesting, although i'm not as taken with it as much as my roommates were. there are some fascinating interviews/vignettes....

By Biro on Thursday, July 6, 2000 - 10:34 pm:

Hannibal..... bite me.... Have heard good and bad, loved Silence of the Lambs so am giving it a try.

By J on Friday, July 7, 2000 - 12:51 am:

You will be so disapointed.

By J on Friday, July 7, 2000 - 11:12 am:

Ooops!! Sober now,Silence of the Lambs was a great book, I was thinking of Hannibal which came after Silence of the Lambs,that was a disapointment.If you can,try to read The Red Dragon before you read Silence of the Lambs.

By Jay on Friday, July 7, 2000 - 12:16 pm:

ah shit! does that mean you don't think i'm cute anymore now that you're sober. (see Screw Effort in case you don't remember).
    I ordered this great jack kerouac poster the other day that had been out of stock.
    I fancy myself a scientist and am reading this book about this guy who set out to scientifically prove that jesus was not the son of God only to become a firm believer from the things he uncovered. interesting stuff.

By Biro on Saturday, July 8, 2000 - 02:38 am:

Have read Red Dragon, and I have heard that Hannibal sucks at the end. But what the hell, am gonna give it a try, I love stories that scare the shit out of me.

By J on Monday, July 10, 2000 - 11:07 am:

That is why I like to read true crime stories,just knowing there are people out there like Albert Fish,or Ted Bundy,that scares me,I am so paranoid.

By Jay on Monday, July 10, 2000 - 03:40 pm:

like they say, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean someones not after you.
    remember that shit.
    comes in handy when shoplifting.

By cyst on Monday, July 10, 2000 - 09:23 pm:

finished "the counterlife" last night. when I was done, I clutched it to my chest.

now I guess I'll proceed with "when she was good." I have a lot of periodicals to catch up on, though.

By Wavy on Monday, July 10, 2000 - 11:38 pm:

"The gospel according to Jesus Christ"
    by Jose Saramago

I'm about 80 pages into "The Transmigration of Timothy Archer" by Phillip K. Dick.

They both have some weirdish religious themes in common and I'm undergoing a reevaluation of my spiritual beliefs, so it oughta be interesting once I finish the book and try to digest the two.

By Dougie on Tuesday, July 11, 2000 - 06:36 pm:

How's the Dick book, Wavy? I've got it sitting around but haven't touched it yet.

By Spider on Wednesday, July 12, 2000 - 11:58 am:

"She Captains: Heroines and Hellions of the Sea" by Joan Druett (page 127)

"What I Think I Did" by Larry Woiwode (p. 53)

"Ellen Foster" by Kaye Gibbons (p.13)

"The Love of a Good Woman" by Alice Munro (p. 75)

"Last Exit to Brooklyn" by Hubert Selby, Jr. (p.21)

"Light in August" by William Faulkner (p. 501)

By TBone on Wednesday, July 12, 2000 - 12:11 pm:

Phil Dick wrote some insane stuff. I love it. If you read his books in the order he wrote them, you get the distinct feeling that he was steadily losing his mind. The books he wrote just before his death are out of control.

By JusMiceElf on Thursday, July 13, 2000 - 01:14 am:

Spider, hows the She Captains book? I have one on Women Pirates that my sis gave me last year that I'm about halfway through. Right now I'm reading Forests of the Heart, by Charles de Lint. Next up is Chimera, by Will Shetterly, with a whole backlog waiting for me. I figure when I go on vacation this fall, I'll do a bunch of reading. I tried to convince my boss that I needed a month, since it's been almost a year since my last vacation, but he said two weeks at a time was about all they'd let me go for. So I figure two weeks at the end of september, maybe a week in november, and one in december, if I can swing all of that.

By semillama on Thursday, July 13, 2000 - 08:48 am:

A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll never do again - just finished the essay on television, which is one of the most insightful pieces on that medium Ihave read in a while.

By Spider on Thursday, July 13, 2000 - 11:45 am:

"She Captains" is very good...nice wide scope, lots of details, and it's well-written.

I used to be obsessed with Charles DeLint. "Jack the Giant-killer" is my favorite.

By JusMiceElf on Friday, July 14, 2000 - 12:11 am:

I got hooked by Moonheart, what seems like a lifetime ago; between jobs and before I moved to the 'Valley. I think my favorite is Trader.

By Biro on Friday, July 14, 2000 - 12:11 am:

This has been driving me nuts for a long time, who wrote the Gormangast (spelling?) trilogy? In the same genre as Lord of the Rings. Please put me out of my misery. I used to love Saul Bellow and Raymond Chandler novels. Still like Chandler, the same cannot be said for Bellow. I tried re-reading one of his books and it was just not the same. Chandler was the best pulp fiction writer of his time. His prose was and still is hilarious.

By Jay on Friday, July 14, 2000 - 12:16 am:

i think it was H.R Puffenstuff

By JusMiceElf on Friday, July 14, 2000 - 12:16 am:

Mervyn Peake. I tried to read the first book long ago, on my dad's recommendation, but never got into it. I never could get the hang of Knut Hamsun either. My dad has all of his novels in our living room. I did rediscover Bernard Malamud recently; I bought the cds of the "Jewish Stories from the Old World to the New" that Leonard Nimoy hosted on public radio, and they did two Malamud short stories, both of which I loved. I had read some of his novels several years ago, and really liked them then.

By Biro on Friday, July 14, 2000 - 12:37 pm:

JusmiceElf, thankyou, and it does take some getting into, and on Jewish authors Chaim Potok is wonderful. Ever read any of his? Jay, get back to your microscope.

By Spider on Friday, July 14, 2000 - 01:30 pm:

He wrote "My Name Is Asher Lev," right? I read that when I was 14 and liked it a lot.

My best friend's dad thinks Saul Bellow is the greatest living author and tries to get me to start reading his stuff *right there* whenever I see him. I've tried to read some of Bellow's short stories but couldn't really get into them...i thought they were kind of boring. To each his own.

By Biro on Friday, July 14, 2000 - 01:51 pm:

I think that we all go through reading books that are "in" and then wonder what all the fuss is about. And yes to Potok, that was one of his. Snobbery rules in reading, if you dont like the book there must be something wrong with you! To each his own! Its the same with art, it always pisses me off when people stand around critiquing works of art, like they can do better? Its all a question of taste, you love it or hate it. My friend (an artist) taught me that. God rest his soul.

By PeriPheral on Friday, July 14, 2000 - 02:15 pm:

Potok's _The Chosen_ is good, too. It's a boy's coming of age sort of thing. I read it in jr. high, but I don't think it's aimed at that audience necessarily. It was made into a movie starring Robbie Benson, and for some reason, I'm thinking that Richard Dreyfus was in it as well. Maybe he just narrated. "Where is my mind?"

By droopy on Friday, July 14, 2000 - 02:19 pm:

saul bellow was once one of my favorites. when i was 17 i had picked up a battered copy of "herzog" at some garage sale and started reading it. i loved it, for reasons i can barely explain now. there's seems to be no reason why a teenage catholic boy should identify with a middle-aged jewish intellectual. but i'm weird.

i will say that i liked his robust way of writing. he's less boring in a longer work, and a first-person narrative, where he can stretch out and have some fun (well, i think so). he's also a very "male" writer - not macho like mailer or horny like miller (my lesbian cousin loves henry miller), but still with the old male outlook. almost all of the main characters in his novels are divorced, and women seemed to be perceived as, at worst, bitches, or at least as something holding one back from true freedom.

if ya gotta read bellow, start with the novella "seize the day".

By Biro on Saturday, July 15, 2000 - 12:09 am:

The Chosen was the first I read. Loved it. Again, it makes me want to go back and re-read some of the great ones. There are few books that I read twice, I did read Hemingways For whom the Bell Tolls and also The world according to Garp. I never saw the movie version of the Chosen. Some books are better left in print. There are some exeptions but mostly the movie version becomes too hollywood for my taste. Someone once said that they buy the book after seeing the movie, I found that an odd comment.

By Wavy on Monday, July 17, 2000 - 01:26 am:

Dougie - I had a hard time getting into the PKD book, but now that I'm almost finished with it I like it. It has some interesting ideas and concepts to chew on.

On Chaim Potok: I've read three of his books and I really enjoyed them all.

Biro: I agree on the Hollywood assessment. If it's made by a US studio, it generally sucks.

I did see a british version of "1984" that was refreshingly true to the book. Very dark and depressing.

By JOY on Saturday, September 11, 2004 - 09:23 am:

HAVE YOU READ THE GORMANGAST IT IS THE BEST READ
    I HAVE HAD FOR A LONG TIME.

By JOY on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 12:25 am:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

By V.v. on Sunday, September 12, 2004 - 10:50 am:

The book I am reading is how to dress like a woman. Already here I am. I felt like soft as lady.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact