"Banned in DC" by Cynthia Connelly, et al

sorabji.com: Last book you read: "Banned in DC" by Cynthia Connelly, et al
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Rhiannon on Monday, January 29, 2001 - 02:22 pm:

It's a collection of photographs and quotes of/from people in the early DC Hardcore scene (1979-1985). Highlights: pictures of really young Ian Mackaye and Henry Rollins, and some really funny anecdotes, including one concerning the band Black Market Baby walking down the street and being called "Sissies! Sissies!" by a bunch of old women hanging out of the window of a passing car.

Sem, Patrick, Margret....get this.

By patrick on Monday, January 29, 2001 - 02:36 pm:

I think I have seen this book....its sounds very familiar.

Another neato punk book i saw not too long ago. Its a collection of punk rock show flyers. Flyer art. Very neat. I used to actually collect show flyers, and put the on my wall. Even trade them with people in other cities.

have you ever seen Another State of Mind?

By Rhiannon on Monday, January 29, 2001 - 02:52 pm:

1)There are lots of pictures of flyers in this book, too. Some are really cool.

2)My brother does the same thing, except most of the flyers on his wall are for his band or his friends' bands.

3) No...is that also about the DC Hardcore scene?

By patrick on Monday, January 29, 2001 - 03:09 pm:

holy cow.....

Another State of Mind is a documentary made in the early 80s...from the USA Network show Night Flight. This film was my anthem as a teen. BAsically the film crew goes on tour with Youth Brigade (CA) and Social Distortion...they follow them from city to city...interview the members (there is a great scene in which Mike Ness if puttign his make up on and he's ranting about how good the make up makes him feel).....they get to DC and there is footage of them playing with Minor Threat, inerviews with Ian and Jeff about straight edge....shows them hangin at the Dischord house....recording in the basement....etc.

its a great documentry just because its footage of 3 or more of the most amazing punk bands every , Youth Bridage, Social D and Minor Threat.

they interview other punkers and in general its a documentry about punk itself. Its depicts the destruction of the tour shortly after DC, the bus is breaking down, people are getting home sick and so on.

HIGHLY recommended viewing....surely your DC indie video store has it.

By cyst on Monday, January 29, 2001 - 03:36 pm:

hey, I know cynthia. friend of a friend.

she's made a bunch of great postcards of d.c. rock stars sitting on their cars. last I heard, she was really into working with a camera that exposes four shots on each frame of film. or maybe it was just two shots. she was taking pictures of restaurants.

By Rhiannon on Monday, January 29, 2001 - 03:52 pm:

Cyst, I can imagine those photos are neat...even in her youth, she was a good photographer. I like her lighting. She looks like she's a nice person, too.

Patrick, I've got to find that movie!

By patrick on Monday, January 29, 2001 - 06:24 pm:

that camera cyst...is similar to the now popular russian lomo...although the 4 image thing is kinda gimmicky in my opinion. but its cheap and sorta neat. if you really want to get fun, 3d cameras can be neat....although you have to use slide film and processing is more and you have to use a stereoview finder to look at them....so on second thought..

By cyst on Monday, January 29, 2001 - 07:12 pm:

By cyst on Monday, January 29, 2001 - 07:20 pm:

hey, rhiannon, I just got e-mail from cynthia about other stuff that's not available yet on the web site. if you're at all interested, I can forward you the list of stuff and price list.

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 - 09:27 am:

Cool! Yes, please send it to me!

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 - 09:30 am:

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, January 30, 2001 - 11:27 am:

Oops, what was I thinking with "here's there's link..."?

AND I spelled "Connolly" wrong! Ack!

By Nick on Saturday, August 18, 2001 - 03:43 pm:

It is hard to find the life story of Cynthia.
    Do anyone know when and where she was born?

By bingo on Saturday, August 18, 2001 - 03:49 pm:

ask her mom

By Brandy on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 11:04 am:

Another State of Mind is the best!!!
    Ilove Mike Ness his voice is so sexy!
    He is so original, and his look kicks ass!

By Brandy on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 11:15 am:

Another State of Mind is the best!!!
    Ilove Mike Ness his voice is so sexy!
    He is so original, and his look kicks ass!
    Mike will forever be a punk legend.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact