Damn comic book nazis

sorabji.com: Last book you read: Damn comic book nazis
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Kalli on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 03:39 pm:

So they just came out with a new Swamp Thing..where it's Alec's daughter this time..and I scooped it right up.

Bought all the back issues (1-16) and read them in one day.

Drooling everywhere.

So I go to the comic book store today to pick up the latest issue and the little dork boy behind the counter told me they're canceling it at issue 21.

Ass monkeys.

I was sooooooo getting into this too.

And I realized why I hate and love comics. I love them for the addiction. Because if it's a good story and the artwork is good, you're hooked. But I hate the cliffhangers. I hate that I have to wait a month just to get rid of the uneasy feeling it leaves me in the end of the last one. In a book, you can choose where to hang. A comic you can't..and I'm unbelievably annoyed.

Grr.

By Antigone on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 03:56 pm:

That's why I stick to graphic novels and compilations of insteresting story lines. That way you don't have to wait. :-)

Have you checked out Kurt and Ann Busiek's "Astro City" graphic novels?

By Kalli on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 04:03 pm:

No..haven't heard of that one...good? I'll check it out.

I need a new one to get into.

I've been randomnly reading some of the Dreaming comics although they will never ever ever live up to Sandman.

Ever.

I agree...it's better to get it in graphic novel form..but there's something redeeming about getting the individual issues.

Check out the new Swamp Thing ones...even though its getting cancelled, it's an absolutely great storyline. The whole conflict between man and nature and can they co-exist or do we have to choose?

By patrick on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 04:10 pm:

dorks

By Kalli on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 04:12 pm:

you shut it too.

Did I ever tell you how I used to play D&D just because I had a crush on a boy?

I have an affliction for nerds.

By Antigone on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 04:21 pm:

By J on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 05:26 pm:

There is a comic book place by me called The Atomic Comic,I just could cry whenever I go inside,I hade a huge comic book collection and my mother tossed them out behind my back.They'd be worth a fortune now.I just rememberd that my son has the whole set of the X-men cards,I should look into if they are worth anything.

By Kalli on Friday, July 20, 2001 - 10:31 pm:

Oh keeeep em. Some stuff (like comic books, books in general, and cds) are just not worth getting rid of because you'll miss em years from now.

I love me some XMen.

You can guess who was one of the first in line when that movie came out last year.

By semillama on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 10:44 am:

Have you read the Universe X/Earth X series? Pretty good for an X men title. Actually it's my comic book weakness, those xmen books.

You should check out Girl Genius by Phil Foglio, it's really good. Also you really need to check out everything Jhonen Vasquez has done (Johnny The Homicidal Maniac, Squee!, The Bad Art Collection, I Feel Sick) and Lenore by Roman Dirge. If you played D&D, you should pick up a copy of Knights of The Dinner Table.

By wisper on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 04:59 pm:

Lenore makes me laugh till i cry

By semillama on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 05:04 pm:

How about the vampire that was turned into the little doll? That's one of my favorites. Or Lenore as queen of the fairies.

Have you checked out Johnny The Homicidal Maniac as well? I think it's even funnier.

By Nate on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 07:57 pm:

Lenore!!! i know what you dorks are talking about!

i like lenore. some lenore stuff ended up in the shitter of some place i lived at. i used to read them over and over.

By cyst on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 08:09 pm:

wasn't the only reason any girl ever played d&d beacsue she had a crush on some guy?

this weekend I saw "ghost world," a movie based on a graphic novel by dan clowes. its realistic presentation of what relationships are like reminded me of "happiness."

beware of spoliers:

the thora birch character sort of falls for steve buscemi, a guy she is too cool to really actually like. she wants to be his buddy, but she also wants him to want her. she tries to set him up with other women, and to her chagrin she sort of succeeds.

birch knows this new woman isn't good enough for him. she knows she is better. but he withholds his affection from her, knowing that he cannot continue a close relationship with birch while progressing with the new, inferior woman, who will actually deign to be his girlfriend for real.

after losing buscemi to this other woman, and then managing to alienate her best girlfriend, she gets really depressed and heads to buscemi, her former confidante, and she makes him take her in and talk to her. she feels forsaken by the entire world, and she says things she may not really mean, making buscemi think that she wants him. which she sort of does, at the moment.

then he falls for her for real, which he has wanted to do all along but hasn't let himself because she has been distant. and as soon as he does, she is forced to withdraw completely. she can't even answer his pleading answering machine messages.

she has to cut herself off from the only two people she cares about in the world. she's too good for them. but what then?

movies so seldom deal with the topics that seem most real and important to me, like self-sabotage and unsustainability of longing and the cruel daisy chains of desire and the real difficulties in relationships (like not being as pretty as your best friend), that I get really excited about the few that do. this is one.

By cyst on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 08:11 pm:

that was totally incoherent. sorry.

By cyst on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 08:19 pm:

NYT clippings (excerpts from just four paragraphs):

When boys gravitate to the less rigorously misanthropic (and conventionally prettier) Rebecca, Enid scares them away with her glowering superiority. One of the film's narrative threads charts the growing distance between the two friends, as Rebecca gravitates toward a maturity that Enid regards as a fatal compromise.

In her dogged search for authenticity amid the fakery that surrounds her, Enid befriends a middle-aged record collector named Seymour (Steve Buscemi). His obsession with obscure popular culture and his grumpy disconnection from just about everything else ("I can't relate to 99 percent of humanity") fascinate her; he seems like a kindred spirit, the grown-up version of herself.

But Seymour's own view of himself is colored by a sense of self-loathing and failure. While Enid's estrangement from everything and everyone is in part a youthful pose, his is rooted in the pain and frustration of unfulfilled adulthood.

As the movie gathers momentum, we see that Enid faces a delicate predicament, a crisis much more real and familiar than the usual senior-prom agonies. Can she hold onto her critical intelligence and her skepticism without succumbing to bitterness? Can she find her way in the world without being swallowed up in it?

By cyst on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 08:27 pm:

I don't know. those situations are so painfully real to me.

liking some guy but not being able to fully LIKE HIM, you know? you're his buddy, his confidante. but he wants a girlfriend. specifically, he wants you to be his girlfriend. but he doesn't push it, so it's ok. you go so far as to give him advice, give him a little push into asking women out. then, oh my god, you fucking succeed. then he's dating some woman who is thoroughly inferior to you. you wonder how he can stand her, even though it was your idea in the first place. ok, so you've done him this great favor, but then you are out in the cold. she will have none of it, and that's perfectly understandable. you had the sort of relationship that can only work in a vacuum. ow.

or, how about this? there's a guy you like, but you can't fully LIKE HIM. but circumstances lead you to hang out with him a lot, then sleep with him. whatever. then these circumstances, which are outside normal day-to-day life, lead you to say things that you don't really mean, things about deeper, longer-term connections. and of course he takes you seriously. then he calls you. and calls you. and writes to you. and what can you do besides totally ignore him? there is nothing else that can be done. you are a monster.

By The Watcher on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 04:45 pm:

This sounds so much like a Network Soapopera.

Comics need to be Unreal.

They should take you away from boring mundane everyday life.

By Gee on Friday, July 27, 2001 - 01:36 am:

my friend Morgan is starting a d&d game. I've never ever played before ever in my entire life, but he's my friend and I want to support his first effort at being a DM, so I'm playing.

I'm a halfling. I wanted to be something really cute, now I find out I have hairy feet and a potbelly. Also, I don't have a name yet, and I'm being really lazy about picking one.

By TBone on Friday, July 27, 2001 - 02:01 am:

It's been so long...

I used to like to DM. Mostly because my attention span was too limited for me to wait my turn and still keep focus if I was a player... but my wandering imagination came up with some fun things.

Hal's the halfling type. I don't know that I played with him though.

A friend of mine played a halfling named Slingshot.

By semillama on Friday, July 27, 2001 - 08:53 am:

Gee, just think Elijah Wood.

Read some Knights of the Dinner Table (available at fine comic book stores) for teh right perspective.

Hoody Hoo!

By Hal on Friday, July 27, 2001 - 11:31 am:

I'm in a game right now playing a kender, which personally is probably the perfect persona for me to pick up. Especially when I get in the mood, because I can't shut up, and when I get pissy at the group for being indecisive I just go off and do something that seems fun and extream, it usually gets us all in some sort of trouble and ends the argument. God I love playing kender. And so far its been true to style to, I've been the closest one to death more times then I can count, and we've only been playing 3 weeks now. My characters name is Flixon Thissleknot, but you can call him Flix. Let's see, I've been poisoned, beaten, cooked alive, almost drowned to death, attempted to be eaten alive by rats (normal sized ones not even giant rats,) stabbed, I've been told I now have assasins after me, thrown, shot with about 6 arrows, chased beyond my ability to move faster, kicked hard in the noggin, and thats all just from my actions that doesn't even count what happens without me being a kender.

By patrick on Friday, July 27, 2001 - 11:34 am:

dorks

By Nate on Friday, July 27, 2001 - 02:17 pm:

HAHA. geeks.

let's go do some drugs patty.

By patrick on Friday, July 27, 2001 - 02:58 pm:

and heckle people?

By TBone on Friday, July 27, 2001 - 03:50 pm:

Hal, how many times have you been physically, actually, no-dice-thrown been strangled by another player?

Heh. I don't think I've played since Jr. High. Maybe early high school.

I always got impatient with the silly battles. I just wanted a story.

Wait, I did play some in late High school. DM'd by this guy who did a lot of local acting and whatnot. That was great. I was just there to listen to him. I'd throw dice when I had to, but it was just an excuse to watch/listen to this guy.

By Hal on Friday, July 27, 2001 - 04:02 pm:

2...Whats your point?

By Gee on Saturday, July 28, 2001 - 04:12 pm:

Elijah is a halfling? But he's so cute! They keep telling me I have hairy feet.

one of the girls who's playing thinks I'm immature because when we all had a meeting to create our characters I kept making silly suggestions. like:

I said, Can I have wings?

Morgan said, no. No wings.

I said, Can I have wings that no one can ever see and we never discuss or refer to in any way?

Morgan said, yes then. You can have wings.

I said, Thanks. Can I have a tail?

and so forth.

my friend Jamie made me buy my first set of dice the other day. I don't know what the heck I'll ever use them for, but she was really excited about it. they're clear with tons of purple sparkles. and they roll like suck.

By Nate on Saturday, July 28, 2001 - 04:27 pm:

you tell that bitch that she's the immature one.

jesus christ. playing a jr. high game is one thing. but taking it so seriously. mental.

By dave. on Saturday, July 28, 2001 - 05:33 pm:

now, i understand.

gee: short for geek.

By Gee on Sunday, July 29, 2001 - 12:33 pm:

no, you're pronouncing it wrong. It's pronounced like the letter "G". It's short for Giardello.

oh wait, you were making fun of me.

By Hal on Monday, July 30, 2001 - 11:23 am:

Gotta get yourself some ju ju dice.

Its very important.

By semillama on Tuesday, July 31, 2001 - 11:21 am:

Just read a few back issues of Knights of the Dinner Table, seriously. Everything you will ever need to know or understand about gaming and teh people who game are contained therein.

By Dorkass on Tuesday, July 31, 2001 - 12:23 pm:

I play d&d every sunday.

By patrick on Tuesday, July 31, 2001 - 01:18 pm:

dorkass

By semillama on Tuesday, July 31, 2001 - 01:27 pm:

I'd play D&D with Dorkass. And Gee.

I think Fairy Meat might be a better game for this group though.

By Gee on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 06:00 pm:

I was right. I never once used those stupid dice for anything. we never even made it to game One in Morgan's role-playing venture.

I don't remember where I put those dice.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact