Peter Straub

sorabji.com: Last book you read: Peter Straub
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Margret on Saturday, November 3, 2001 - 07:08 pm:

I have been reading a lot of these novels lately. They're having a very curious fun-house mirror effect, because he uses a lot of the same characters and weird parenthetical not-plots over again, back stories shrouded in context, but they change from book to book so it's as those you're given a new something to flesh out the universe only to find that this new bit conflicts with an older known thing and explodes and reshapes the universe with its placement.

By sarah on Sunday, November 4, 2001 - 03:58 pm:

i just finished "America The Beautiful" by Moon Unit Zappa. it was fun and silly. the day i finished it i started reading and shortly thereafter finished "Shop Girl" by Steve Martin, which was gorgeous, absolutely mesmerizing. now i'm reading "All Families Are Psychotic" by Douglas Coupland, but i'm only a few chapters in and it's taking me a while to forget all his other books so that i can enjoy this one. i also have "Fury" by Salman Rushdie sitting on my coffee table. i bought the last three books all on the same day but i'm saving the best for last.

i've never read anything by peter straub.

By semillama on Sunday, November 4, 2001 - 04:02 pm:

I just went ot one of those big book clearance places and picked up a Bukowski reader, Portrait of the artist as an old man by joseph Heller, and a new book by that guy who did, um, . . . those illustrated books where it's all about this correspondence between these two people, I know the name but can't produce it, help me out here... Mavis would know.

By dave. on Sunday, November 4, 2001 - 04:10 pm:

fred?

By Antigone on Sunday, November 4, 2001 - 04:24 pm:

I just read "If on a winters night a traveller" by Italo Calvino and I'm in the middle of "Quantum Psychology" by Robert Anton Wilson.

This is technically called a "mind fuck."

By Ophelia on Sunday, November 4, 2001 - 08:36 pm:

I read "The Baron in the Trees" by Italo Calvino several months ago. Right now I'm reading "Dune" and analyzing "King Lear" for my senior literary thesis.

By agatha on Sunday, November 4, 2001 - 10:26 pm:

i just finished a lame book by maya angelou. before that, i read "widow for one year" by john irving, and i'm starting "postville: a clash of cultures in heartland america" tonight.

sem, are you talking about nick bantock? "griffin and sabine" and all that stuff?

By moonit on Sunday, November 4, 2001 - 11:46 pm:

i just read 100 ways for a cat to train its human, and reviewed it.
    shallow graves by jeffery deaver and reviewed it
    nip n tuck by kathy lette (funny) and reviewed it

and finally for my own pleasure (heh she said pleasure) i'm reading lawrence block's a long line of dead men.

By Billy pilgrim on Monday, November 5, 2001 - 01:12 am:

just rediscovered slaughterhouse five by kurt vonnegut. Its got really poignant resonances following the excellent tv series band of brothers.

read it and laugh. read it and weep.

but weep mostly.

so it goes..............

By Antigone on Monday, November 5, 2001 - 02:34 am:

"Baron" rocks. I haven't re-read that in a few years. Every now and then I get on a "read everything by Calvino again" kick, and I think I'm on it again now. Calvino inspires me. I read "Invisible Cities" about every year, and it's always new, always fresh.

By Margret on Monday, November 5, 2001 - 10:05 am:

Did anybody ever read AND finish the Isle of the Day Before? I fucking cranked through name of the rose and read Foucault's Pendulum with such attention to detail and intense love that I believe I added to text to the codex of my deoxyriblahblahblah. Who is that guy who did the Alienist? Caleb Carr? Is that the name? Them were some good eating. You know what else is good? A series about a young woman police officer named Mallory By Carroll O'Connell. Moonit, you are a reviewer of the books? Why don't I know more about Moonit. I blame dave.

By Dougie on Monday, November 5, 2001 - 10:37 am:

I've had Isle of the Day Before sitting on the bookshelf waiting to be read for over a year now. Loved Name of the Rose & Pendulum. Just picked up a book because of its cover & title: "A Heartbreaking Work Of Staggering Genius". (Gotta be good with a title like that) Yeah, Alienist was good, also have his other, Angel of Darkness sitting on shelf waiting to read.

By Spider on Monday, November 5, 2001 - 12:33 pm:

Antigone, I read "If On a Winter's Night a Traveller" a few years ago. I got lost in the middle of it.

I've begun reading G.K. Chesterton's "Orthodoxy" while trying to finish Dostoevsky's "The Idiot" (I've been working on that for months...I find it very hard-going).

I'm preparing to read Cormac McCarthy's "Blood Meridian," for real, this time. Wish me luck.

By droop on Monday, November 5, 2001 - 12:54 pm:

i plan one day to go out and buy a book that spider might find interesting: Summer in Baden-Baden by Leonid Tsypkin. There was a review of it in the New Yorker in which it was called it "among the most beautiful, exalting, and original achievments of a century's worth of fiction and para-fiction." it's supposed to be sort of a dream novel where the author interweaves his life with dostoevsky's.

By droop on Monday, November 5, 2001 - 12:56 pm:

in which it was called it?

By moonit on Monday, November 5, 2001 - 01:26 pm:

I skipped right over that it Droop, if you hadn't of pointed it out I wouldnt of noticed.

Yup I review books for the paper I work for.

I had this book last week or the week before and it had quotes from kiwis on the back with how great it was etc etc, and I thought it was shite. So I bagged it. Whoops.

By Spider on Monday, November 5, 2001 - 02:17 pm:

Para-fiction?

That sounds cool, droopy. Let me know what you think of it.

By droopy on Monday, November 5, 2001 - 02:39 pm:

i have a theory that para-fiction means autobiographical fiction and stuff like that.

i know, moonit. it's just that i'm trying to write something for a guy in florresville, texas and i'm trying consciously to be less careless with my sentences and shit. it's hard to do without coffee.

By Platypus on Monday, November 5, 2001 - 04:40 pm:

Island of the Day Before was long, and mostly tedious, but yes, I did finish it.

I'm reading "The Salterton Trilogy," by Roberston Davies (he's my all time favourite author right now).

I also just re-read "Watership Down," and remembered why I like it so much.

By Lautreamont on Monday, November 5, 2001 - 08:46 pm:

Just re-read Iron Crucifix by Gregory Sallust.

this is the almost unknown masterpiece about bdsm told from the perspective of a coil of whipcord. Its better than the Story of O and you can literally start the novel at any page - it redirects you to random page numbers so the the story is never the same twice.

Sallust is believed to be the pseudonym of a famous catholic philosopher called de Chardin.

Not available in the shops you have to order it from major metropolitan libraries. Tell the librarian geek that you are a divinity student reading your way through the Codex. There are only 3 copies circulating in the UK library system, waiting time is about eight weeks but worth it!!!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact