From Midwives to Medicine...it made me think of Dougie

sorabji.com: Last book you read: From Midwives to Medicine...it made me think of Dougie
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By kazoo on Monday, December 9, 2002 - 02:15 pm:

okay, well I've only gotten as far as the prologue, but I had a nice chuckle as it made me think of Dougie and so I felt obliged to share.

The prolgue to this book starts of by describing the first recorded case of vaginismus ever. Later, it also describes the various remedies and treatments that they used to treat the condition. Now, from what I recall, Dougie did not introduce the concept here, but he did ask sem if I had it.

So thanks to Dougie for bringing a tiny bit of joy into this research process

By Dougie on Monday, December 9, 2002 - 09:41 pm:

Ha! I had forgotten about that. Glad you weren't offended by it, kaz, and that it brought you a tiny bit of joy.

You know what brought me a tiny bit of joy this weekend -- unexpectedly skiing at Mt. Rose near Incline Village in Nevada this weekend. I did an install at a hospital in Reno, then decided to take a couple of days on the weekend and ski. It was perfection -- nice and warm, and they had blown snow, very uncrowded (unlike Eastern skiing). And the scenery, ohmygod is it beautiful there. I never knew anything about Lake Tahoe -- 1350' deep (!!!) and it never freezes. If you ever get the chance, it's a must see.

By dave. on Monday, December 9, 2002 - 10:43 pm:

lake tahoe is beautiful when you get away from the tourist traps. that whole area in the central sierra is amazing. it's incredible to me that you can get out of your car at 10,000 ft and it's 90 degrees outside. then you see a sign saying "range area watch for livestock". what a place to be a cow.

By patrick on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 11:39 am:

"10,000 ft and it's 90 degrees outside"

really? is it because you are so friggin close to the sun?

By dave. on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 09:00 pm:

it's because it's a desert for over half the year. the only reason that area has those bigass pines is because of the snowpack during the part of the year it ain't all hot and dry. i only live 1000 miles north and anything 10,000 ft high here is covered in glaciers year round. down there, 10,000 feet is just the pass elevation -- the mountains keep going up, up, up.

here's a tip: if you're gonna drive up there, you might wanna tweak your car, if possible, for altitude. the little hyundai we were in was struggling big time and that was a damn zippy little car in the flatlands.

this family needs to take a vacation somewhere before the kid gets too old to care about shit like that. we haven't had a family vacation since she was 2 or 3 and i bet she doesn't remember a bit of that. i should start a website: sendmyfamilyonavacation.com . then there's fixmyplumbing.com, refinishmyfloors.com, insulateandsheetrockmygarage.com, fixmygaragedoor.com, rebuildmyfrontporch.com, findacarburatorformy81fordcourier.com. . .

By agatha on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 09:10 pm:

ha!

By Dougie on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 02:54 am:

"you might wanna tweak your car, if possible, for altitude."

You might want to tweak yourself for altitude too by taking along plenty of Excedrin Extra Strength. I had a fucking constant headache the 2 days I was there. Might have had something to do with the drinking, but I think it was mostly altitude.

By dave. on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 09:33 am:

or clean air. oxygen hurt brain.

By Spider on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 10:05 am:

Dave, what about a road trip to Glacier National Park? How far away would that be? 600 miles or so?

By patrick on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 11:48 am:

what the fuck is a ford courier?

im getting the impression of some sort of late 70s prototype that ford made for booming Eastern European market that now only rural mail carriers drive. The kind of vehicle with the drivers side on the right and obnoxiously loud turn signal.

By patrick on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 01:27 pm:

By trace on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 01:49 pm:

a ford courier was a front runner for a ford ranger. When couriers were being produced, a ranger was a full sized pickup.
    Now, they courier may exist as a small minivan in european countries today, but the old ones were small trucks

By dave. on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 01:01 am:

yup. a ford courier is a mazda b2000 with round headlights.

glacier national park sounds delightful. to me, at least.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact