Life of Pi

sorabji.com: Last book you read: Life of Pi
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Gee on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 06:31 pm:

is this book as big in the US as it is/was in Canada? for the longest time you couldn't even sneeze without wiping snot off of someone's copy of "Life of Pi" - that's how big this book was.

my friend Alys gave it to me for my birthday in 2003 and I've Finally read it. Really I don't think I would have read it if it hadn't been a gift, and I felt kind of obligated.

The first 80% of the book is this introspective, view-of-the-world, inside his Head kind of book, if you know what I mean. then all of a sudden, for like twenty pages, it goes hardcore science-fiction. I was reading with my face all screwed up in confusion and amazement at the turn of events.

then, right near the end, everything makes sense again, and you kind of understand the hardcore sci-fi.

in a way that may not be much of a connection at all, it kind of reminded me of the film "Lost in Translation". In both cases I went through the entire thing going "What is this? What is this about?" and it wasn't until rightattheend that I actually liked it.

I didn't love it too much while it was going on, but upon reflection I think it was pretty good. it would probably be a great book to re-read.

By Danielsssss on Wednesday, July 1, 2009 - 05:59 pm:

yep, reading through it: a zoologist and theologian rolled into one I guess. More as I read it. I am behind the times...just now picked it up from the bookshelf, well stocked, in the house carol and I are renting on the beach on AMI (Anna Maria Island). I have been coming here for twenty years now, thought I would be living or dying here by now, and well, instead am reading a loaned book abandoned by a previous renter in a rented house where the air conditioning is too cold and the porch too small to avoid the pouring rain boiling down out of dark skies on an island a foot or two above sea level, and te roads are all flooded this afternoon. I should walk out to the beach in the rain...yesterday's storms were a great inspiration. I haven't had any time for recreation reading in a long long long time.

ANy boday else read this?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact