getting my comics badge

sorabji.com: Last book you read: getting my comics badge
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Nate on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 07:59 pm:

so, i'm renting a room to a friend of mine who is an avid comic collector. i've tried to read comics a few times before, but never really got into them.

so when he moved in, and with me still unemployed (gloriously), i started going through his trades. he started me with the preacher (which margaret recommended to me years ago, but i never followed up on). excellent book.

now i'm about halfway through sandman. i've read some ed brubacker stuff (criminal, and the daredevil arc that started about 2 issues ago).

next i've got transmet and swamp thing.

then apparently i'll have my badge. ennis/ellis/moore/gaiman.

so, heather, have you read sandman? for some reason delirium reminds me of you.

By heather on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 08:43 pm:

it makes more sense to me than when i remind people of tori amos.

hi nate.

i had a trauma this weekend which makes it difficult for me to share my reaction to this. the inner critic of a friend's new fiance decided to jump out and bite me in the face. a favorite: "you just want to be cute"

By wisper on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 09:43 pm:

:(

By Spider on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 10:04 pm:

Has anyone read Hiroaki Samura's "Blade of the Immortal"? (Sem? Rowlfe?)

You could read it in chapters online until chapter 131 or so, but now it's only available in the US in printed volumes that come out every six months or so. This adds a component of mental torture to the reading experience that I didn't expect. The next volume comes out in December.

It's so good, though. The art is fantastic. Don't let the cover featured on the wiki fool you -- most of the art looks like this (pen and ink) or this (pencil). It's seinen manga, written for adults, and full of historical details.

By Nate on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 10:19 pm:

fiances often feel the need to prove themselves.

i meant it in the best of ways. and not that i think you act like delirium. just one facet of one place reminding me of one facet of another.

By Antigone on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 11:48 pm:

But, heather, you just are cute.

Anyway, Nate, I highly recommend Kury Busiek's "Astro City" series.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astro_City

It's super hero stories, but told mostly from the point of view of normal folks. It doesn't deal with the big events and battles directly, but with their after effects. It's some of the best writing I've seen in my decades of comic reading.

Another good pick is the "Supreme Power" series, written by J Michael Straczynski. (Creator of Babylon5)

And, of course, you've gotta read Watchmen.

By Nate on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 01:21 am:

oh, right, i read Watchment after Preacher. i forgot about that.

By droopy on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 01:54 am:

i collected comics - in the sense that i just bought a lot of them and never threw them out - back in the 70s. by the time i was 13, in 1980, i stopped and gave them all away. a few years ago i read the book 'the adventures of kavalier and clay', a fictionalized account of the birth of american comic books in the 40s. it made me curious about comic books again, although the only thing to come of it was that i bought one collection of 1933-35 krazy kat strips and an 'american splendor' collection.

i also got into the habit of listening to a radio show called fanboy radio which originates out of fort worth. i'm still not inclined to buy the comics, but i like hearing them talk about it.

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 03:07 am:

droopy..... you should have not give away all of these comics. it has a value like treasure.

By platypus on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 04:52 am:

I hope you checked out V for Vendetta as well, and I'm also a pretty big fan of Transmetropolitan.

By kazu on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 12:04 pm:

Sem tried to get me to read Transmetropolitan.

I can't read comics, they hurt my brain.

By semillama on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 01:31 pm:

Transmet is awesome. I also recommend Doktor Sleepless and Desolation Jones by Ellis as well. I love his title Planetary, but for some reason they haven't been issuing trade paperback collections of the series in the last few years.

Moore's From Hell is another must read.

Ennis' current insane project is The Boys, which is one of my current favorite comics.

Other titles that should be read: Jeff Smith's "Bone" and Stan Sakai's "Usagi Yojimbo"
    Brian K Vaughan's "Y: the Last Man" is damn good, too - that series just wrapped up and the whole run is now available in trade paperbacks.

And I can't give enough props to Bendis and Oeming's "Powers" - I highly recommend it.

By sarah on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 01:52 pm:

you should have responded by looking her dead in the eyes and saying, "i'm not sure i understand what you mean by that. could you please explain?"

then flirt outrageously with her intended.

i can't read comics either. i appreciate them as an art, but they're not for me.

By Spider on Thursday, July 17, 2008 - 09:56 pm:

I like them when they work as art. Samura has a very subtle, very sharp eye for detail, and he can work characterization into the ways that people hold their hands at rest or place their feet when they stand. It's brilliant.

I read Fullmetal Alchemist, too, which is drawn and written in a very different style. That one I stick with because I have to see how the relationship between two secondary characters pans out -- I couldn't care less about the main characters.

By droopy on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 12:32 am:

i don't know it this means anything, but my 5-CD set of edgar allan poe poems and short stories read by vincent price and basil rathbone came in the mail today.

By Dr Pepper on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 03:34 am:

i got my blackberry in mail today, i just won it off ebay last sunday.

By semillama on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 01:17 pm:

Spider, if you haven't checked out Usagi Yojimbo, you should. I think you'd love it.

By Spider on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 02:08 pm:

Ah, I see that my library has it -- I'll go get it on Monday.

Cute little rabbit. :)

Have you read Lone Wolf and Cub?

By wisper on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 08:52 pm:

Rowlfe? manga?? Rowlfe wouldn't read manga if you paid him to. When i bought all 18 original Japanese volumes of Sailormoon (with the dust jackets and mini-poster inserts all mint omg!) off eBay, you should have heard the noise he made when he saw me type in my final bid. It was like the sound effect they use in movies for when a dog gets injured. I still laugh.

I think one of the most trying nights of my college experience was when i spent like 16 hours over one weekend in the basement of my house, painstakingly drawing my own skull for anatomy drawing class.
    See, you get a mirror and a lifesize headshot of yourself, then draw over the photo on velum paper, poking at your face in the mirror to find where all the various bumps and ridges and holes are. I was in the basement because i needed unchanging light of course. The basement was also one of my housemate's bedrooms and he had Kingdom Come lying on the floor, so in between drawing i would read it for a break. But it was not a break, it was torture. I'd be thinking "Oh hey yeah this is looking really good, I'll just step back and read this here comic a little bit OH GOD DAMN YOU ALEX ROSS, I am *NOTHING*!! Why do i even bother!!*sob*"

So yeah Kingdom Come is essential reading. Or essential staring. I loves me some Watchmen, though i fear the movie.

By semillama on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 09:34 pm:

Anything Alex Ross touches is pure gold.

By Spider on Friday, July 18, 2008 - 10:55 pm:

Aw, I'm sorry Rowlfe isn't more open-minded. :|

By Rowlfe on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 11:58 am:

It just isn't my taste. There are exceptions to every rule, I mean I have some anime DVDs, however I bot burnt out in my teens after watching too much of it at a friends house. At one point we watched this one that seeemed to go on forever called Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend, and that alone made me so sick of every anime stereotype that even the visual style alone kind of turns me off.

By wisper on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 03:12 pm:

i just saw the Watchmen trailer and i'm afraid to watch it again, lest i spoil its perfection in my mind.

By Nate on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 05:06 pm:

that looks like it will be good.

i liked the Watchmen, but i think i was expecting more (hard to avoid when something is talked up so much, justifiably or not.)

i'm going to go wrap up sandman, now. and then i'm going to read a 'real' book.

By Spider on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 11:15 pm:

I googled "watchmen trailer" and this video appeared as the second link.

Whut.

And then, thank goodness, I found this.

I was afeared for your brain for a moment, Wisper. Whew.

By Spider on Saturday, July 19, 2008 - 11:16 pm:

PS. It's, as they say, all good. I don't much like anime either.

By Spider on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 12:33 am:

Um, that last post was for Rowlfe.

By semillama on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 01:28 am:

Rowlfe, I too have seen the Legend of the Overfiend. It's a fairly disturbing piece of work and I'm happy to say I have never seen it again.

We just got back from seeing The Dark Knight.

Holy shit, that was GOOD.

By platypus on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 03:30 am:

I second that motion, sem. We loitered in front of the movie theatre for a good 45 minutes talking it over when it was finished.

By kazu on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 04:34 am:

I wanted to go buy another ticket and watch it
    again.

Also, it seemed long to some people, but I didn't
    want it to end.

By Spider on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 12:36 pm:

Would you say it was better than the first one?

I saw the first one three times in the theater.

By kazu on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 03:19 pm:

Batman Begins?

So much better.

By Spider on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 04:12 pm:

Wait, Batman Begins is better or this one is? I'm slow. :(

By kazu on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 04:16 pm:

I was asking if by "the first one" you were
    referring to Batman Begins, and then I answered
    your question.

By Spider on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 04:30 pm:

Thanks! :)

That's high praise indeed. I might have to ditch work and go see this tomorrow afternoon...

By kazu on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 05:42 pm:

Not wanting a movie or book to end is among my
    highest praises. It doesn't necessarily speak
    to the quality of the movie (there have been
    plenty of good movies that I wanted to end, e.g
    The Butcher Boy, Breaking the Waves, etc.) but
    it does reflect my immense enjoyment.

By wisper on Sunday, July 20, 2008 - 06:45 pm:

I thought it was long as hell and will have to watch it again on DVD before i decide if i really liked it or not.
    But i'm not saying it's bad. It's great. I am just undecided on whether i liked it.
    I was impressed that they made it so dark. Like, really dark. Emotionally straining dark.

i just watched the Watchmen trailer again 3 times.
    The castle on Mars builds out of the sand....holy god damn crap the Mars castle.

By Nate on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 04:51 am:

It was long as hell. I liked it. I was ready for it to end, though.

They closed a door I didn't think should have been closed.

By semillama on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 03:57 pm:

If you are talking about a scene at the very end, Nate, I totally agree with you.

If they attempt to make another Batman film in this series with the Joker, they're going to have a hell of a time finding someone who can follow Heath Ledger. God damn, he was good. In a film that was full of really well performed roles, he overshadowed everyone, and not just because the character was exceptionally scripted.

By heather on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 04:31 pm:

sarah, it was the he side.

i was drunk, i was with friends, my guard was down. that was just one of many things he said.

i didn't say much as i was struggling to understand his motive. all i could figure out was that i might be a symbol for something he is veryvery bitter about.

he intuitively stirred up things that aren't "true" but that i have issues/internal nastiness with.

anyway.

By droopy on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 04:45 pm:

you are much more interesting than comic books, heather.

By sarah on Monday, July 21, 2008 - 11:13 pm:

well, what i said still applies, even to the he side.

you should have flirted outrageously with his intended.

either way, you're okay. only the weak prey on others' weaknesses.

you are better than okay.

anyway.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact