even cowgirls get the blues

sorabji.com: Last book you read: even cowgirls get the blues
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Jenwren on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 04:08 am:

i really liked this book a lot. i am semi in love with tom robbins, after reading this and another roadside attraction. anyway has anyone seen the movie for this book? i read on wiki that it was a bomb, but it had uma thurman and river phoenix. i'm gonna try and find it tomorrow.

sidenote, i caught a bad cold and somehow fucking fractured my rib from coughing. this is bullshit.

By Semillama on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 01:09 pm:

I think Tom Robbins may be one of those authors whose works just can't be translated to film, like Douglas Adams.

By Spider on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 03:20 pm:

A friend of mine broke her rib from coughing a couple of years ago. It took her over a month to heal.

She thought it was bullshit, too. :)

Two other friends of mine were in a car accident and broke their ribs three years ago, and one of them was tortured for a couple of months with the feeling of itching inside of her bones, where the bones were knitting together. The other one re-split her ribs after a coughing fit nearly two months after the accident. But she had broken three ribs in two places each, like this:

---/---/---
    ---/---/---
    ---/---/---

...so there were portions of her ribs "floating," if you will, in her rib cage, making re-fracture a likely occurance.

By Spider on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 03:20 pm:

I don't know why I'm telling you this. Feel better!

By beta on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 04:45 pm:

I just finished (and will recommend) *Wild Ducks Flying Backward* - I dug the entire book, but would have bought it for the essay on transcendental absurdity alone.

By jack on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 07:27 pm:

am i remembering correctly that "still life with woodpecker" is generally the favorite?

very possible that i am misremembering.

By wisper on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 09:19 pm:

You know what's also rib-related bullshit? Costochondritis. Which i've had twice in the last year and probably will be getting on and off forever now.
    If you look up the symptoms, med pages basically tell you (to paraphrase): "If you're reading this and you have these symptoms, you either have costochondritis or you're having a heart attack. Only a doctor can tell so STOP READING THIS PAGE AND GO TO THE ER RIGHT NOW".
    Oh my it's fun. Your ribcage and sternum cartilage gets inflamed and swells, making it feel like your chest is going to explode. They don't know why it happens or how to stop it. Oh, and it's perfectly harmless except that it feels like a heart attack 24/7 for a few weeks at a time :(
    Internets tell me that the majority of people who phone 911 or show up at ERs thinking they're having a heart attack actually have this, it's so common.
    Got a handful of Tylenol 3 for my troubles last time though. Good times.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact