Neutral Milk Hotel

sorabji.com: What are you listening to?: Neutral Milk Hotel
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By M on Friday, April 10, 1998 - 10:21 am:
    NMH is one of those strange and lovely Elephant 6 bands (e.g. Olivia Tremor Control). Beautiful new album : "Aeroplane over the Sea."

Acoustic guitar, singing saws, trumpets, very little drums. Great lyrics -- gentle, day-dreamy, sort of a fantastic little world you can enter at whim. Nice, meandering melodies.

Best songs: "The King of Carrot Flowers, pt. 1" and "Oh, Comely" --

"when you were young, you were the king of carrot flowers
    and you built towers tumbling through the trees [i'm missing some words there. the rhythm's off]
    in holy rattlesnakes that fell all round your feet
    and your mom would stick a fork right into daddy's shoulder
    and dad would through the garbage all across the floor
    and we would lay and learn what each other's bodies were for
    and in this room one afternoon I learned I could love you
    and from above you I sank into your soul
    into that secret place where no one dares to go
    your mom would drink until she was no longer speaking
    and dad would dream of all the different ways to die
    each one a little more than he could dare to try."

"Oh, comely" is really long, but really creepy and sad and beautiful -- "...i know they buried her body with others, her sister and mother and 500 families, and 50 years later will she still remember me? I wished I could save her in some sort of time machine. Know your enemies. We know who our enemies are..." I'm singing the song in my head, so maybe some of the lyrics are slightly off.

By Lester on Tuesday, April 14, 1998 - 01:25 pm:
    Say, you're right! I just got that album, too, and it's great! Especially "Two-Headed Boy" (pts. 1 and 2). Especially part two. I love how Jeff Mangum can make a song happy and sad at the very same time. "Holland, 1945" is a great example of this: the music is sooo cheerful and happy and lively, while the lyrics are about Anne Frank dying and a dead boy haunting a ferris wheel. Same with "Two-Headed Boy, part 2": the music is gentle and beautiful and happy, but the lyrics are about a father who can't love his son, and the son kills himself.

It's a really great album. You have good taste!

By Catafalque on Friday, December 1, 2000 - 06:58 pm:

the world would be a better place if more people listened to neutral milk hotel. they're so damned good.

By Spider on Saturday, December 2, 2000 - 10:12 am:

I agree. I think I posted the lyrics to "Little Birds" around here somewhere.

By Cali on Wednesday, March 9, 2005 - 09:12 pm:

NMH is amazing their lyrics make you think and are soo deep and meaningful. its unlike anything ive ever heard. its pure genius what jeff magnum does.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact