What are the saddest/happiest songs you've ever heard?

sorabji.com: What are you listening to?: What are the saddest/happiest songs you've ever heard?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Rhiannon on Thursday, September 9, 1999 - 07:46 pm:

I'll go first.

Saddest: "Charlotte Sometimes" by the Cure

Happiest: "Pink Thing" by XTC or "Summerhead" by the Cocteau Twins

By Waffles on Thursday, September 9, 1999 - 07:57 pm:

saddest: Berlin by Lou Reed

happiest: Shiny Happy People REM....ok really seriously......hmmmmmmmm.........off the top of my head...Summer Babe-Pavement....or maybe ahh hell just about ANY Flaming Lips song is happy......those boys have good attitudes i tell ya....

speaking of REM, i finally recovered a copy of Murmur on CD, my tape was defunkt long ago....man what a good damned album........

but i think i will give this some more thought...........

By Waffles on Thursday, September 9, 1999 - 07:57 pm:

that whole damned record by Lou Reed is sad, now that I think of it.......then again, so is any Nick Drake album......

By Waffles on Thursday, September 9, 1999 - 07:58 pm:

ahhh....got it...happy........T-Rex....Bang A Gong....

By Lionel Vinyl on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 10:08 am:

oh honey it was paradise.

By Oop OOp a Dooh on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 10:12 am:

Happiest: "da doo ron ron"

saddest: Neil Young's . . . . can't remember the song but from the album with "Gimme a hit of that craaack!" lyric on it.
    What IS that album/song?

By J on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 10:40 am:

I love Neil Young,but I can,t think of that song. My saddest song:Somebody,s Crying by Chris Isaak happiest:If I Could Talk I,d Tell You by the Lemonheads.

By Jinafishes on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 12:02 pm:

I always thought Mint Car by the Cure was way cheery and bouncy. And that "aluminum tastes like fear" song by Rem is pretty sad. Me and a gun by tori amos is REALLY sad. I like that Lemonheads song too.

By Waffles on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 12:38 pm:

I have rethought my happiest song......One Note Samba...originally by Stan Getz/Jao Gilberto but redone recently by Stereolab........ by they way...if you even remote dig jazz/latin/samba what have you...I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend that record "Getz/Gilberto"

By Droopy on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 01:26 pm:

i'm so fucking glad to hear someone else say they like the getz/gilberto album. astrud gilberto haunts me.

one note samba must be so danco samba

vye-vye-vye-vye-vye

(however you spell that)

By Waffles on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 01:55 pm:

you know astrud learned all her english by listening to american pop.....FASCINATING!!

By Droop on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 02:21 pm:

wow. like the story about the african guy who starred in amistaad(sp?) who learned his english from the discovery channel.

don't know much about astrud. i've just always gotten a kick out of her version of "fly me to the moon." to me she's always been the nico of bossa nova.

i always listen to the aformentioned album for getz, gilberto, and jobim.

By Clinton Lee on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 02:34 pm:

happiest song 'from the 50's' is:
    "When" by The Kalin Twins
    The saddest: "Teen Angel" by Mark Dinning

By Droopy on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 02:44 pm:

oh yeah,

happiest song: "prelude to the afternoon of a sexually aroused gas mask" - mothers of invention.

saddest song: i remember driving in the rain after finding out that my grandfather, who had essentially been my father, died. i was listening to an old school r&b show and "a rainy night in georgia" (feels like it's raining all over the world) came on. i was in texas, but what the fuck.

By J on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 02:53 pm:

Come to think about it Let it be reminds me of when my Dad died.I always liked the mothers of invention,ever see 200 Motels?

By Droop on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 03:13 pm:

well, i was once semi-conscious and in the same room when it was playing. if i ever saw it again it would probably be like seeing it for the first time but with the occasional moment of deja-vu

By J on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 03:21 pm:

It,s a trip for sure,come to think of it, I saw Let it Be too.

By Wizard WWOM.fm 1968 - WCKW 1989 on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 03:36 pm:

Saddest: Hands down it's got to be "Bob Dylan's Dream" (possibly off of The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan album). .."Ten thousand dollars at the drop of a hat. . . I'd give it all gladly if our lives could be like that"

Happy _and_ sad: "Sweet Jane" by Velvet Underground. Lou Reed sings. . . "if any one had a heart they wouldn't turn around and break it. if anyone ever played a part, they wouldn't turn around and fake it."

By J on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 04:26 pm:

Thats an old Mott the Hoople song.

By Question mark on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 05:11 pm:

perhaps they did a cover version of it. . .

By Droop on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 06:14 pm:

"pale blue eyes" and "sweet nuthin'" are sad songs by the velvets. "after hours" always makes me sad, too.

husker du's "hardly getting over it" and "too far down" always get to me.

By Waffles on Friday, September 10, 1999 - 06:24 pm:

pale blues eyes and stephanie says are two of my fav slower songs........Whats Going On and Rock & Roll are porobably the two best rockin, get up and shake m songs...

now that I think of it,,,Jonothon Richman has a whole smorgas borg of happy AND sad songs.....

By Semillama on Saturday, September 11, 1999 - 01:29 am:

songs that are the saddest for me: recently, some of the tunes off of Tom Waits' new album have nearly reduced me to tears, "hold On", "house Where Nobody Lives" and especially "Georgia Lee".
    "how Could've I Been Such A Fool" by the Mothers of Invention gets me because I can relate. "Sadly Beautiful" by the Replacements. Finally, my friend Glade's whole last album, "bile", with songs like "Shit Job", "patsy", "Bittersweet", "Leaving Here" and I could go on. Finally, and I risk jeers and being called wimpy, the Barenaked Ladies have a tune called "such a good boy" that struck a huge chord with me at the time I saw them live ( granted, i was suffering from the worst broken heart I've ever had at the time [also my last broken heart]), and I wept like a baby.

Ther are alot of tunes that I find bittersweet, like "Waiting in Vain", "without You" by the Pietasters and "Honestly" by Boyoboy. I should mention that I find most love songs and all romantic movies to be bittersweet, being an abject failure in that department.

as for the happiest songs, there are more in this category. Jimmy Cliff's entire new album, especialy the cover of "Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da"; Solas' "nil na la", "one Love", The Pogues' "transmetropolitan", "Streams of Whiskey", "The sick bed of Cu Chulainn", and "Sunny Side of the Street"; Yo La Tengo's "Sugarcube", and the Mothers of Invention -"Wowie Zowie" the happiest song of all time.

you all knew I had to go on and on when the topic is music, so no complaints about length of the post.

By Gee on Saturday, September 11, 1999 - 02:28 am:

I don't know my happiest and saddest, but right now I think "Rites of Man" is a very very sad song. It's Spirit of the West.

By J on Saturday, September 11, 1999 - 02:35 am:

I just remembered I Want You,by Elvis Costello,makes me cry....a lot.

By Nelly on Saturday, September 11, 1999 - 02:41 am:

sad

I think I've already mentioned somewhere but...

"He Stopped Loving Her Today" ... George Jones

If you think it's a tear-jerker, damn right. I mean I had to pull over when I first heard that song on the car radio.

Didn't Lou do a song named "Sad Song"? yes, he did. And it's sad.

i'm not in the right mood to list happy ones. this may take awhile too.

By Silly on Saturday, September 11, 1999 - 03:16 am:

Talk amongst yourselves.

By Rhiannon on Saturday, September 11, 1999 - 09:22 am:

Two other really sad songs: "Three Peaches" and "The Two-Headed Boy, pt. 2" by Neutral Milk Hotel.

The saddest part about the first one is the last line, "I'm so happy you're still alive" sung in this incredibly sad voice, which you think would be funny, but it's not. The whole song is about someone who mutilates herself, so...well, there you go.

The second song is supposedly about a brother of a friend of the singer. The brother killed himself. There's a part that goes, "Brother, see we are one in the same / and you left with your head filled with flames / and you watched as your brains fell out through your teeth / push the pieces in place / make your smile sweet to see / don't you take this away / I'm still wanting my face on your cheek." But the tune is really simple and beautiful, like a nursery rhyme, and as graphic as those lines are, it makes them sound so sad.

Another really happy song is Morrissey's "Hold on to Your Friends." And Edsel's "Chester's Wig." And the Smiths' "There Is a Light that Never Goes Out."

By Crawford on Saturday, September 11, 1999 - 12:25 pm:

"let down" by radiohead is sad and happy.
    "fake plastic trees" is just plain sad.
    "Carrot Rope" (Pavement) is happy.

By Agatha on Saturday, September 11, 1999 - 06:23 pm:

"tomorrow never comes" by durutti column. "tears" by the chameleions u.k. "rubber ring" by the smiths, "sing me to sleep" or whatever it's actually called by the smiths. "little wing" by jimi hendrix. "fancy", as covered by the geraldine fibbers, i don't know who originally sang it. "too far down" by husker du, in agreement with mister droop. "seasons in the sun" by whoever-the-hell. that's all i can think of right now.

By Rhiannon on Saturday, September 11, 1999 - 06:51 pm:

That Smiths song is called "asleep". I forgot about that one. That song goes beyond sad. That's what you would listen to before you put the hose in your car window.

Pavement's "Gold Soundz" is happy and sad.

Tori Amos has a song called "Mother," which I think is about leaving home (or something...who knows what it's really about). There's a part where she whispers "He's gonna change my name" -- freaks me out every time i hear it. Her song "Yes, Anastasia" is pretty scary too. "We'll see how brave you are" and all that.

By Gee on Sunday, September 12, 1999 - 02:42 am:

I don't think Asleep is so sad. Maybe I just don't know from sad songs, though. I think so many of their songs are peppy, if you just listen to them properly. Maybe I'm not paying attention.

Rhi - My friend Jerry just sent me a couple tapes of Morrissey and The Smiths. "There Is a Light that Never Goes Out." is on there, but the other one you mentioned isn't. There's one called "You're the One For Me, Fatty", though. Hahahaaa! I can't wait to hear that one!

"Horses" played by Ashley MacIsaac is very very peppy.

By Friendly on Sunday, September 12, 1999 - 03:20 am:

here's a long funny song. 15 megs so don't click if you don't wanna wait. i think it's worth the wait. this link will die so get it while the getting's good. this is a test more than anything else so let me know if you have troubles getting the file.

click

By Swine on Sunday, September 12, 1999 - 05:11 am:

most passionate track:

act too(the love of my life)

without question.

By Pink on Sunday, September 12, 1999 - 08:43 am:

Ah yes, "fake plastic trees".

It builds and builds,...then lets you down to cry.

...isn't that what we are looking for?

By Rhiannon on Sunday, September 12, 1999 - 10:04 am:

Gee, is there a song called "Angel, Down We Go Together" on Jerry's tapes? That's a sad one, in a hopeless, resigned kind of way.

I used to play "Asleep" a lot in high school whenever I was depressed, so I'm probably not listening to that one accurately. Though Agatha thought it was sad, too, so...

How about "Unhappy Birthday"? Is that on there?

The only Radiohead I've ever really heard is from their first album. Now my interest is piqued.

By Gee on Monday, September 13, 1999 - 03:06 am:

I've heard "Unhappy Birthday"...it's either on one of the older tapes he's sent me, or it's on the CD of theirs I have. I can't remember. I don't remember if I thought it was sad, or not. I DO think "Unloveable" is pretty depressing, but not in your typical way, and even That seems to have some optimissim to it. The whole "I don't have much in my life, but take it, it's yours..." line. Love that.

The Angel song is no where to be seen. is that a sad one?

has anyone ever heard of the Paperboys? Geoffrey Kelly played with them over the summer, so I'm curious to hear what they sound like.

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Monday, September 13, 1999 - 08:27 am:

Ok. I know I'm gonna take heat for this, but I don't care.

#1 on my sad song list is "Candle In The Wind 1997" by Eltonbaby. #2 is Roy Orbison's "Crying." Coming in at #3 is "Sometimes it Snows in April" by Prince (well that was his name at the time!)

As for happy songs, Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World," is one, followed by "Sir Duke" by Stevie Wonder, and Garth Brooks' "I've Got Friends in Low Places."

And now a sad/happy song ALL IN ONE:

Carol Channing singing "Before the Parade Passes By."

By Rhiannon on Monday, September 13, 1999 - 11:19 am:

Funny...I always thought "What a Wonderful World" was sad.

Carol Channing herself has something sad about her, in a grown up lost child kind of way. You know?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Angel, Down We Go Together"

Angel, angel
    Don't take your life tonight
    I know they take
    And that they take in turn
    And they give you nothing real
    For yourself in return

And when they've used you
    And they've broken you
    And wasted all your money
    And cast your shell aside
    And when they've bought you
    And they've sold you
    And they've billed you for the pleasure
    And they've made your parents cry
    I will be here
    BELIEVE ME
    I will be here
    ...believe me

Angel, don't take your life
    Some people have got no pride
    They do not understand
    The Urgency of life
    but I love you more than life
    I love you more than life

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's off of "Viva Hate," if you ever want to hear it.

By J on Monday, September 13, 1999 - 12:49 pm:

Rhiannon,I,ll check Spirit of the West,you check out Radiohead.Spirit of the West sounds like a local band I love called the Celtic Cowboys.The song I think Crawford was talking about the song is high and dry,off the Bends C.D. On and on by the Longpigs,sad.Angel by the Eurythmics(about Sylvia Plath)sad.

By Rhiannon on Monday, September 13, 1999 - 01:08 pm:

Deal.

By Waffleboy on Monday, September 13, 1999 - 01:25 pm:

Spirit of the West....wtf...is that actually a band name.....??

completely convinced that all the good band names have been taken

By Jinafishes on Monday, September 13, 1999 - 04:42 pm:

No way, it's a very good band, Gee knows what she's talking about, I highly recommend it as well. Although Spirit of the West sounds like the name of a naval ship, it has nothing to do with sweaty guys.. unless you go to a concert or something, I donno...

And I love that song On and On!! I have been trying to find that song on Mp3 forever!! Do they have any other really good songs? I was going to get their cd but I didn't know if it'd be a one hit single cd or WHAT.

I love Radiohead too, nobody likes Pablo Honey but me, it took so long to get to like that cd tho, but I listened to the first song, and truly loved it. Love the song Just from the bends. I'd have to say Paranoid Android is my car song, really loud and that trebled voice. It's slinky too.

By Rhiannon on Monday, September 13, 1999 - 04:52 pm:

I always thought Murder, Inc. was the coolest band name. I know they stole it from an old street gang, but still.

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Monday, September 13, 1999 - 05:13 pm:

Wonderful World makes me happy everytime I hear it. Beautiful song.

By Gee on Tuesday, September 14, 1999 - 01:36 am:

Rhi - darn. That IS depressing. I'll have to find that song.

Waffle - nooooonononononononoo. I know I did Not just see you say something bad about my Boys. Even if it was just their name. You shush. Spirit of the West is a perfectly good name. My hunch is that their name has to do with the part of Canada they come from. namely, the west. It's a Great name. a Great band. You will now cease mocking my boys in any way shape or form, or I will walk to america and kick your puny ass.

I'm so very very loyal. Psychotic, but loyal.

By Waffles on Tuesday, September 14, 1999 - 11:42 am:

OH...their canadian.......SAY NO MORE!!!!......as if the name wasn't enough..........now it's confirmed.......I used to think Beautiful South was pretty bad.......the wife and i get violent over that shit.........but now this this this SPIRIT of the west crap takes the cake......

By Semillama on Tuesday, September 14, 1999 - 07:48 pm:

its no worse than Ghost of an American Airman

or Ko "backwards r"n

or Limp Bizkit, that name truly sucks.

My first real band, we couldn't come up with a name before our first gig (which was two weeks after we formed and wrote six songs), we asked two of our friends to come up with a name each, and not tell us what it was, then put the one they thought was best on the poster. We narrowly avoided being Six Hundred And Sixty-Six Chirping Chipmunks and were dubbed the Combs.

My second real band was called The Warren Commission which was a really dumb name,and we played incredible stupid goth-metal-noize. We reformed this year for one show and agreed that we should never have taken ourselves seriously in the first place. The name almost changed to War.Com, but I vetoes that on the basis that it was even stupider thatn the original name.

My last band started out as Trance Lucid, until some new age jazz group from Alabama threatened to sue us if we didn't stop calling our selves that. We were Sunshine Unit for one day, which was a good idea because it was deceptively innocent but really was the unit of measurement the militray uses for degrees of atomic fallout. But it sounded completely stupid whenever someone said it outloud, so our drummer came up with subshine, and it stuck.

Any modern Ska band that tries to have a punning name with Ska in it should be shot. It worked for the Skatalites, and that's it.

By Waffles on Tuesday, September 14, 1999 - 07:57 pm:

my first band was named Styrofoam Ceiling. We got it from Mark Robinson of Unrest. We were speaking with after a show, gave him a tape of our music, he asked what we are called, we said we didn't know, he said you should call it this. So we did. We we finally sent him four songs we had mixed down, we got a generic rejection letter from some fuck named Brad Rock.

My second and long lasting concept/band which is still loosely in effect with me and my wife is called accustat........came from an old thermostat in a friends apartment.....it seemed to wrk, but i suppose now Gee gonna bust my balls for my silly assed band names....that ok i suppose.....

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, September 14, 1999 - 08:02 pm:

My brother was in a band called Science for Kids. I thought that was a neat name. Then he was in a band called R.K. Foley (or RK Foley), named after a teacher of theirs.

Now he's in a band called Way of the Leaf, which I've told him is a bad name. Baaad name.

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, September 14, 1999 - 08:04 pm:

His friends' band's name was Ninja Attak. I thought that was neat, too. One of the guys in there could draw really well, so he drew an anime girl for their logo.

By Simon on Tuesday, September 14, 1999 - 08:35 pm:

My first band was called Antigone's Goulash.

By Fetidbeaver on Tuesday, September 14, 1999 - 08:39 pm:

By Fetidbeaver on Tuesday, September 14, 1999 - 08:43 pm:

I don't know why they are not working now. They worked when I previewed the message for posting.
    Type it manually, it works that way and is worth the effort.

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, September 14, 1999 - 10:13 pm:

"Garfield's on my fork"! Hoo boy.

As much as I hold Britney Spears in absolute contempt, I have to say that those claims may not be true...it is possible for someone to go up a cup size or two in a relatively short period just naturally. Happened to me.

I think it happened to J, too.

By Agatha on Wednesday, September 15, 1999 - 01:10 am:

i always liked the band name texas instruments. my band which doesn't exist yet will be called M.O.M., acronym for Mothers of Mayhem. i don't know what we will sound like yet, but there will be banjo involved.

By Gee on Wednesday, September 15, 1999 - 02:24 am:

I don't know whether to punish Waffle for continuing to mock my boys, or just feel sorry for him. If "Styrofoam Ceiling" is your idea of a GOOD band name, then it's easy to see why you think Spirit of the West is bad.

I think I'll feel sorry for you now, and punish you later.

By Waffles on Wednesday, September 15, 1999 - 12:09 pm:

thanks you Gee, you hit the mark as predicted.......

By Waffles on Wednesday, September 15, 1999 - 12:09 pm:

are you mounting anytime soon?

By J on Wednesday, September 15, 1999 - 12:41 pm:

Don,t you get it Gee? Waffles wants to be punished,he,s kinda kinky,he wants it,he wants it real bad.Spank him,spank him silly.My daughters s/o use to be in a band called Polyester Apple jazz(primus imitators)does that suck or what?Now he,s in a goth band called Mighty Sphincter.I like the name Hollywood Vomit.Yes Rhiannon,from b to c.

By Pamela on Wednesday, September 15, 1999 - 12:45 pm:

I was in a band once. We were having a hard time coming up with names. My best friend and I were the only two girls in the band. The guys wanted to call us the Poontangers (I'm not sure of the correct spelling for poontang, but oh well, just bear with me). Needless to say, we chose a different name. I think we ended up calling ourselves the Shit Disturbers. We didn't last very long though. Both my best friend and I each ended up 'dating' one of the guys, and then the other two got pissed b/c they felt left out and then the band broke up... and then the guys broke up with us. Oh well.

By Waffles on Wednesday, September 15, 1999 - 01:05 pm:

you should have orgied and verified the "pootangers" you would probably be a hit today

By Pamela on Wednesday, September 15, 1999 - 01:52 pm:

LMAO

By Pink Eye on Wednesday, September 15, 1999 - 02:34 pm:

If I were in a band, I'd choose the name Pink Floyd...has a ring to it.

By Waffles on Wednesday, September 15, 1999 - 02:53 pm:

fairy hurricane

By Pink on Wednesday, September 15, 1999 - 03:00 pm:

Theeeee coolest of 'em all:

EAT HOT FUCK

By Droop on Wednesday, September 15, 1999 - 03:00 pm:

many years ago i was in a band called amphetamine bill's travelin' freak show (this was in like '92). amphetamine bill's for short and to fit on the marquee.

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, September 15, 1999 - 03:02 pm:

That reminds me...my best friend's dad used to be in a band called Jack Dodge, and he was the lead singer, so people always thought that that was his name, and sometimes they'd be paid with checks made out to "Jack Dodge," and so they couldn't cash them. That name didn't last long.

By Pink on Wednesday, September 15, 1999 - 03:11 pm:

Sorry for this one, Mr. Henson...RIP.

Sodomy of Muppets

By J on Wednesday, September 15, 1999 - 03:12 pm:

How bout You Don,t Know Jack?

By Pink on Wednesday, September 15, 1999 - 03:21 pm:

A little week. Now if we made it "rap"ish.

U Don,t No Jak

By J on Wednesday, September 15, 1999 - 04:16 pm:

It would sound better for the M.T.V. awards.

By Droop on Wednesday, September 15, 1999 - 04:38 pm:

amphetamine bill was originally a joke name and a play on "the bill for the amphetamines". nobody in the band was named bill. i started writing songs about people and events in my life using a mythical "bill" as a central character. once i was in a car with about 5 guys in it, and the driver suddenly gets into this race (at 1 am) with somebody. while going over a bridge his car jumps the median and we start heading sideways toward the guardrail and a 65 drop. the rail held. this became the song "bill almost killed me."

ooh, you take you life in your hands
    when bill's behind the wheel
    and those tires start to squeal
    and we knew we were headed for a fall
    and that coked-up fuckin' prick'd kill us all.

By J on Wednesday, September 15, 1999 - 05:22 pm:

I like it.

By Gee on Wednesday, September 15, 1999 - 05:41 pm:

Glad I could be of service, Waffle. I like the way you said "Gee's gonna make fun of me now!" thinking I wouldn't bother anymore if you'd pointed it out. As though I'd feel it nessesary to prove you wrong. I think you underestimate the amount of joy I derive from making sport of you.

You are way way way too transparent.

Moxy Fruvous is on Open Mike tonight. woohoo!!!

By Waffles on Wednesday, September 15, 1999 - 05:49 pm:

the love is reciprocal my dear Gee, actually i said it with a slight fear you may not take the bait....so ifelt the need to give a big push..I completely understand the amount of joy you get from ribbing me as do i.......just admit it...you love me,

By Simon on Wednesday, September 15, 1999 - 06:11 pm:

jeez, get a room.

By Semillama on Wednesday, September 15, 1999 - 06:56 pm:

I'm listening to some sad sad songs right now, my friend Glade' last album. The song now is "Shit Job" which has a chorus: I like my Shit job better than your whole goddamn life

now 'patsy' starts:

you idiot
    you're too stupid to act on your own
    you're too half-baked to fry on your own
    you poor dumb fool

you're a product of their war machine
    and your death won't wipe the slate clean
    You poor dumb fool
    You poor dumb fool

I can't explain why I care about your fate you zealot
    My mind isn't made up seems you've been up to a whole lot
    on your own
    on your own

You patriot
    but whether you were at the top
    at the bottom you poor dumb fool
    Yeah we built you up just like the rest
    and we deserve your cold fate never the less
    and you knew poor dumb fool
    you poor dumb fool

I can't explain why i care about your fate you bastard
    well my mind is not made up seems that your plans had its master oh master
    all alone
    all alone
    all alone
    all alone
    (guitar break)
    We're idiots
    We're too scared to let ourselves bleed
    this precarious web we weave
    might someday fall
    might someday fall
    might someday fall

I can't explain why I care about your fate you asshole
    Well My mind isn't made up seems our mob's found its goal
    all alone
    all alone
    all alone
    all alone

jeez I didn't mean to transcribe the whole song but I got caught up. supposedly it's about an ex-girlfriend.

By Gee on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 02:07 am:

"I've been a bad bad girl. I've been careless with a delicate man."

Come on! Everybody! Sing along!

That's right...Fiona Apple. You know what else? I've got Jewel all cued up and ready to wail, next. Take that, hosers!!

By Pamela on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 11:13 am:

God, I really hate Jewel...

Fiona Apple rocks though.

By J on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 12:06 pm:

I like Jewel,I,m glad she,s not poor anymore.Fiona has rocks in her head,I saw her get an award once and she came off to me as a moron.

By Waffles on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 12:18 pm:

i saw Fiona at the movie theater with that schmuck from rage agnst machine.......the otherday...i harbor desires to lunge large blunt objects at them for being so annoying..........it be a perfect day if jewel were coincidentally standing right behind them...."ooops sorry...didn't mean to hit you too....by the forgo the poetry thing.."

i should give it a rest....

By Waffles on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 12:18 pm:

i saw Fiona at the movie theater with that schmuck from rage agnst machine..the otherday...i harbored desires to lunge large blunt objects at them for being so annoying..........it be a perfect day if jewel were coincidentally standing right behind them...."ooops sorry...didn't mean to hit you too....by the way forgo the poetry honey...it ain't workin"

i should give it a rest....

By Rhiannon on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 12:30 pm:

Why is it that the people who think they're great always suck?

I liked Fiona Apple the first few times I heard her stuff, and then I started paying attention to her lyrics, and they were just really lame. Mixed metaphors all over the place -- "you can't illuminate what time has anchored down" is one I remember. Babe, imagery only works if it makes sense. Yeah, and then I saw her on TV, talking...big mistake there. Ugh.

By Waffles on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 12:41 pm:

her poems are worse

By Waffles on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 12:43 pm:

sorry...hers as in Jewel's but you are right nonetheless

By J on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 12:46 pm:

Boy Waffles,didn,t your mom ever tell you it,s not nice to hurt girls?

By Waffles on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 12:59 pm:

girls smell

By J on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 01:05 pm:

Waffles cranky,his wife is out of town,what can I say?

By Waffles on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 01:18 pm:

actually she got back the other day, I am indeed tired, a large bottle of merlot and a scandinavian film called I AM CURIOUS not to mention the best booty kept me up late...

by the way, the film it's an ultra rare controversial film, I highly recommend it.

Very socialist, made in 1969, twoparts, yellow and blue, only saw the yellow. went to the supreme court for it to be allowed inthe US, has raw sex scenes with penis and all...sexy at times, it wants to be existentialist because the film exemplifies the humdrum ignorant society by doing a mock documentary on the class system. there are many interviews with the everyday peopleof stockholm. the plot centers around a girl fighting to break up the class system and then she finds her self becoming what she challenged, the class system in socialist sweden. After reading Camus recently the dialog is as dry and static....i liked it and i will watch the blue version tonight..,.

By Jinafishes on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 01:58 pm:

Fiona Apple has to be one of the good fake fucks out there in the Rock Scene. And Mariah Carrey. They both need to be shot in the leg so they'd understand the pain they've brought others. I read this interview on Fiona and she said that she always 'thought she was a diva' and now people are realizing that she is. What the fuck! Girl, when you stop spouting stupid shit to the audience like you're some chaotic crack whore, then maybe you'll get somewhere, but you sure as hell ain't no diva. Get some goddamn singing lessons while you're at it.

By Waffles on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 02:12 pm:

perhaps she needs a load of steamy hot ji.....

ahhh i bes let that alone

By J on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 02:13 pm:

Score!!

By Waffles on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 02:16 pm:

i knew you'd back me up J your the best!!!!

By Pamela on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 02:19 pm:

On second thought, I don't like Fiona Apple. She's a self absorbed bitch.

And I still hate Jewel.

By Jinafishes on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 02:56 pm:

What made you change your mind? Stand your ground!

By Pamela on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 03:15 pm:

I still like her music, but I do think she is a bitch. She reminds me of my sister and that just sickens me. But I do still like her music. <shrug>

By Rhiannon on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 03:53 pm:

I try not to let the musicians as people influence my feelings for their music. I mean, Greg Dulli's a bar-brawling smack hound, but he still writes a good song, ya know?

But when it comes to Fiona Apple, you feel like if you like her stuff, you're just contributing to the inflation of her ego. Plus, did you know she got a record deal without ever having played live? She just made a demo and sent it in, and out comes a deal. That makes me dislike her even more. Not only is she a pretentious and self-indulgent litte nitwit, she's priviledged too. She needs to talk to Fugazi. Maybe they'll kick her ass for us.

By Jinafishes on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 06:52 pm:

Wow, I remember when Fugazi was on the radio long time ago. I liked their song too. something about your generation. Or maybe that was Mudhoney.

By Waffles on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 06:55 pm:

minor threat, egg hunt, embrace, pailhead (Alan Jourgensen with Ian McKaye...wtf ?!?!?!?) and fugazi all take precedence as rock and roll and sticking to your moralities goes......do they still have $5 shows. I haven't been in a long time.

By Semillama on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 07:46 pm:

fugazi will always have $5 shows...they once refused to play Marquette, MI, becuase the only place that would be big enough to hold all the fans was a basketball arena, and fugazi won't play in venues like that. Poo on them, manRay 19 is better, although they would tell me I'm a stupid fuck for thinking so (even if it's true).

(man ray 19 is a Marquette band that probably none of you has heard, which is why they're going on Rhiannon's mix and probably any others I get requests for...although they are playing Chicago later this month, if any here lives there, go see them and bring earplugs))

By Gee on Friday, September 17, 1999 - 04:31 am:

I would just like to say, Fiona Apple is alright by me. I never heard her speak live, and her lyrics may not be the best, but they're not much worse than a lot of other peoples. Actually, I quite enjoy "Shadowboxer".

As for Jewel, I think her songs suck, but here's the deal on her poems: first time I flipped through her poetry book a couple years ago, I thought it was as bad as her songs. I flipped through it again a couple months ago, and the weird thing is, it wasn't bad. I actually really enjoyed a couple of them.

By Nkdshfu on Sunday, October 3, 1999 - 09:37 pm:

shiny happy people is by far the happiest song in the world. i remember everytime that song came on my brother would crank it up as loud as possible and just sing and tell me it was the happiest song in the world.
    the saddest is adam's song by blink 182

By Gee on Monday, October 4, 1999 - 01:19 am:

"I'm soooo sorry. ohhh, I'm sooooooooo sorrrrrry."

Morrissey. I could look up the name of the song, but I'm having too much fun.

Here's the weird thing: I have no freaking idea why I like Morrissey. His voice is average, his lyrics are average, everything about him = average. What is the appeal? I dunno.

By J on Monday, October 4, 1999 - 11:04 am:

Put them in the ground,love them,love them...shit I.m just giddy.Morrissey,yea,you belong to me fatty,all he does is whine.

By Waffles on Monday, October 4, 1999 - 12:09 pm:

I'm gonna kick morrisey's ass in November when he comes to LA......

By on Monday, October 4, 1999 - 02:23 pm:

Let me kick his do you want some whine with your cheese ass,you take the pictures,how does that sound?

By J on Monday, October 4, 1999 - 02:32 pm:

Oh forgot,that last post was me.

By friendly on Monday, October 4, 1999 - 02:50 pm:

we all know when it's you, j. you never put spaces between your punctuation. i bet morrisey could go ninja on you both and collapse your windpipes before you could say big mouth strikes again. never underestimate those wiry little bastards.

By Waffles on Monday, October 4, 1999 - 02:52 pm:

from one wiry bastard to another, he better have eyes in the back of his pretty lil head, cause it ain't gonna be sorry pretty any more, what will all the 13 year old depressed self absorbed teenage girls do then???

I guess they have robert smith to fantasize about, but he is getting old

By Waffles on Monday, October 4, 1999 - 02:52 pm:

from one wiry bastard to another, he better have eyes in the back of his pretty lil head, cause it ain't gonna be pretty any more, what will all the 13 year old depressed self absorbed teenage girls do then???

I guess they have robert smith to fantasize about, but he is getting old

By J on Monday, October 4, 1999 - 03:01 pm:

I,d have that little snot for breakfast,when the adrenaline gets in me,I,m something to fear.I turn red,shake like fucking nuts and foam at the mouth,I,m sure just the sight of me would have him on his knees and snot crying.

By friendly on Monday, October 4, 1999 - 03:12 pm:

he'd brush you both aside and run you through a wall steven seagal style. he'd make you look like fools.

By Waffles on Monday, October 4, 1999 - 03:15 pm:

and his legion of depressed teenage girls will stand at awe as their hero dies an ugly death

By Swine on Monday, October 4, 1999 - 04:22 pm:

"steven seagal style" ?

shiiiiiiiiit.

By A little bird on Monday, October 4, 1999 - 04:26 pm:

he was a track star in high school

By MoonIt on Tuesday, October 5, 1999 - 01:08 am:

*sigh*

Sometimes I feel as tho I'm on the other side of the world.

Oh yeah I am *hehe*

I have to confess that I haven't heard of half the bands u guys have named. Altho I did see some $9.95 cds of Tom Waits the other day at the CD Store. But I was too afraid to buy them. They were mixed up with Abba, and Tom Jones Live.

Happy song: is that million dollar song by barenakedladies. Cause it always makes me laugh.

Sad Song: Is Supergrooves 'For whatever Reason'

Gee, Rhi, Still working on your tapes - Got to get myself some more NZ music to chuck on. But I'll get there eventually promise!

By Gee on Tuesday, October 5, 1999 - 03:33 am:

Waffle - what's your freaking problem? You always want to beat up on people you've never met for some unknown reason. Whatever.

Moonit - I made you a couple of tapes. I'll have to reproduce one of them for another friend. Now it's just making it to the post office.

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, October 5, 1999 - 09:20 am:

Moonit -- I have all the CDs I need for your tape, but my stereo has been murdered, so if I can get my lazy self to the electronic store this week (which is within walking distance) and get another stereo, you'll get your Tom Waits real soon.

By Waffles on Tuesday, October 5, 1999 - 11:47 am:

Gee, I am begging you to have a sense of humor, I am begging you to appreciate a little sarcasm once in a while, i am sorry i pick on your heros but you need to realize when i am beign serious and when i am being silly, seriosuly if you can't determine the difference then don't respond

By J on Tuesday, October 5, 1999 - 12:14 pm:

I think Gee just likes to get you going Waffles and you fall for it every time,God love you.I still want to kick Morrissey,s ass just for We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful,the bitch.

By Waffles on Tuesday, October 5, 1999 - 12:26 pm:

on the contrary....she takes me way too seriously, she does have a thing for me, she will never admit her unconditional love, notice she only picked on me bustin Morrisey's balls and not you, even though yout shit was just as deep, either that or it verifies her penis envy

By J on Tuesday, October 5, 1999 - 02:49 pm:

She,s just pulling your finger,it,s Swine she has the hots for,too bad you two couldn,t hook-up when she was in California,gone to Denneys.

By Kalliope on Tuesday, October 5, 1999 - 03:02 pm:

hey waffles, id do you in a denny's. (if you ordered the sausage and eggs)

man, its rough coming back here and trying to make any sense when i havent been reading posts.

someone buy me a phone. being in a puter lab is damn near silly.

By Waffles on Tuesday, October 5, 1999 - 03:05 pm:

she reminds me of those girls on the play ground that beat up and mamed the object of their affection......and if she is bluffing and pulling a fast one on me, then props to her, but i think she is very serious with her posts directed towards me, i rub her the wrong way

By Waffles on Tuesday, October 5, 1999 - 03:06 pm:

hey you, what happened to those pictures you were mentioned ???? glad to see ya around and i prefer IHOP, but then again a "do" is "do"

By Semillama on Tuesday, October 5, 1999 - 08:51 pm:

Hey Rhiannon, maybe you could help me with this, cause I can't remember - Was it the lead singer of the Swans who spent several years in a jail, like in Yugoslavia or Romania or one of theose Eastern European contries, and wrote the song "Failure" while he was in? Whoever that was, that songgoes beyond the wimpiness of sad, it's flat out hardcore depression. It's the only song, whenever I think of it, makes me think of being in complete darkness.

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, October 5, 1999 - 09:40 pm:

Hmmm. I don't know about that. Give me a moment and I'll do some research.

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, October 5, 1999 - 09:54 pm:

Is this what you're talking about?

I haven't heard anything about jail time, but then I don't know a whole lot about Michael Gira. Give me another moment and I'll try to dig up some personal info.

By Gee on Wednesday, October 6, 1999 - 01:26 am:

1) I do not have a crush on Swine. Geeze. Talk about stalking someone and all of a sudden everyone thinks you're in love.

2) I don't pick on J because I like her. So she'd have to be Really offensive for me to holler at her.

3) I have a sense of humor.

4) Morrissey is not my hero.

5) Waffle, joke or not, stop condescending towards me. You may not realize it but You ARE, and that's one way to earn my scorn Fast.

6) Don't make me mad. You wouldn't like me when I'm mad. grr!

7) I was in a mood yesterday, but that doesn't change my point. You're always going on about how you want to kick someone's butt and never really saying why. It's always just that you'd like to kick 'em around a bit. What do you have against Morrissey?

8) If you can't handle someone replying to your comments, then You shouldn't be commenting.

9) Number 6 was a joke. Like the Hulk, you know? teehee.

10) See how polite I'm being? I think I deserve a pat on the back.

11) Okay, I do have a crush on Swine. Could someone corner him by his locker and see if he likes me?

12) Number 11 was a joke. Like the Hulk, you know? teehee.

By friendly on Wednesday, October 6, 1999 - 02:51 am:

didn't waffles go off on somebody else about how scary it was that they were talking about kicking people's asses? i swear i remember that from somewhere. i have an idea. since making a habit out of using a bulletin board as a chatroom is kind of unnecessary since there is a thing called irc, why not go there while bored at work and start up a chatroom where bored people at work can chat with themselves and others. call it #boringland or #boredom or #ennui or something. people can chat in realtime and not flood these boards with stuff that unbored people don't care about. then maybe these boards will become interesting again for both the bored and the otherwise. just remember to post the server and channel so we can all play there, too.

By Fetidbeaver on Wednesday, October 6, 1999 - 06:27 am:

I've listened to this shit long enough.
    Gee, The mental image I have of you is that of a petulant child sitting in the back seat of her parents car crying and kicking because the ride "Is Boring!!". IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE RIDE GET OFF AT THE NEXT STOP!!!
    Waffles, post all you want, fuck these idiots. I don't remember seeing a qouta for daily use of the board.

By J on Wednesday, October 6, 1999 - 09:59 am:

I don,t think some people can tell when some people are kidding,Gee has never came off as a petulant child to me,she,s entertaining and sharp.I think someone should just smoke a joint and look where this is going,I,m not going to go there.

By friendly on Wednesday, October 6, 1999 - 10:17 am:

fetid, that is exactly what i expected to hear and you are exactly who i expected to hear it from. you're also the guy who constantly farts on crowded buses and everybody else can just fuck off and breathe your anal vapors because you and your vapor have a fucking right to be on the bus and there ain't no rules against farting. you are irritating. and sometimes funny, i guess farts are also sometimes funny.

By Swine on Wednesday, October 6, 1999 - 11:41 am:

lame.

all this pointless bitching might be interesting if it happened in the real world and there was a chance of actual violence breaking out...
    but there isn't any chance of that in this virtual shithole, is there?

no. there isn't.

it's just gonna be a bunch of point-and-click wankers pissing on each other like a bunch of dorks on usenet.

pathetic.

you all suck.

but the upside is that you've inspired me to take action. yes, that's right. all your lame bitching and moaning has moved me to a philanthropy of sorts.

you see, i had a dream.

i dreamt of a large cage in the desert.
    a cage of biblical dimensions: 12 X 12 X 12.
    a cage lined with barbed wire and filled with all sorts of cruel and unusual implements of destruction. in my dream i heard a voice. a gentle, soothing voice quietly whispering in my ear:

"if you build it, they will come.

and with any luck, they'll beat the miserable life out of eachother.

bitches."

so there you have it. i promise you this:

someday, i will build that cage in the desert.

and there will come a day when your petty disputes will be met with an all expense paid trip to the desert and an invitation to step into the cage.

why do i do this?

partly because i love you.

but mostly because i want to see you bleed.

By Pink on Wednesday, October 6, 1999 - 12:22 pm:

can I bring my own implement of death?

By Waffles on Wednesday, October 6, 1999 - 12:52 pm:

if any actually took me serious about kicking morrisey's ass, i won't dignify that with anymore discussion. the one friendly is referring to is someone one who came off like 12 year old and THATS all he said, and he has soon left the boards....a random transient burst of text, talking random shit, i ahve said plenty other things to veruify i am not a 1 year old fascinated with using dirty word online...

beav your right in the sense that my discussion hardly prevents anyone from saying what they want, there is 150% freedom here

"8) If you can't handle someone replying to your comments, then You shouldn't be commenting." Your absolutely right, but if there is one thing that gets under my skin, and that is to be misunderstood. Sometimes i have no clue what swine or nate are talking about, so I a)say something nonsensical back or b) don't respond

and i am telling you if you didn't pick up my sarcasm in the orginal post then i am sorry, but Idon't have a damn thing against morrisey, i could careless. It's kinda like sayin i'd like kick Ricky Maritn's ass, it's a common male joking ego defense because they have all the girls attention. nothing to take too seriously. does this clear the air Gee? I hope so, because it seems everyone is getting all uptight for no reason and I too am ready to invest in the cage.

and friendly, i can't chat, my work servers here are monitored, they can see java applets running and pop people for it,. they have twice already. again, feel free to make all the interesting conversationa and i'll do my best not to dumb it up.

By J on Wednesday, October 6, 1999 - 01:01 pm:

I still want to kick Morriseys ass,just cause I think I can.

By Pink on Wednesday, October 6, 1999 - 02:05 pm:

I got $200 riding on J.

( a nice foot to the nuts is a great way to start )

By Waffles on Wednesday, October 6, 1999 - 02:12 pm:

it's a trap J, he doesn't have any nuts, he gottem removed to hit some of the higher notes and to please his lover,,,,,,,,,Pink actually works for him......he is inflating you with a false sense of confidence. First off, mess his hair up, then slap him around, psyche him out, and just when he is looking deep with his black self to make sense of this brutal attack, punch him in the nose and watch him go down like the Hindenberg

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, October 6, 1999 - 03:52 pm:

Semillama,

Here's what two people have to say to your question:

"hmmm...never heard about that...i've heard "failure" though...i think m. gira is the one person on the face of the planet who'd have to cheer up before he'd be able to commit suicide..."

and

"Even a casual glancing over Gira's lyrics and written words (he's written a book or two, I believe) might give one pause, as they seem preoccupied with rape, torture and suffering. It wouldn't be at all surprising if he had spent some time in the pokey, but then again, it's hard to tell. I've been lucky enough to meet the man in question on an occasion or two, and he's quite a nice guy (not at all the gent you'd expect to have written such little ditties as "Raping a Slave.") Who knows?"

Who does know? Sorry I couldn't be more help.

By Semillama on Wednesday, October 6, 1999 - 08:35 pm:

That's the song though, I'm glad my memory served me there. great tune. I am really looking forward to your tape. The thing about him in jail i only heard once from my friend when she played me the tune. She was a goth girl back in the 80's. I own her Bauhaus shirt now.

I want to be the special guest referee for the "hell in a cell" match swine is putting on.

By Gee on Thursday, October 7, 1999 - 02:41 am:

Waffle - So you're saying you didn't mean it when you said you wanted to kick Morrissey's butt. Okay. Whatever. I can't tell when you're being sarcastic. If someone says "I wanna kick his ass!" my first thought is that they mean it. But everytime I question you on something you've said you always tell me you were kidding, so...okay. Fine. I'll try not to take anything you say seriously from now on.

Swine - I'm not your friend anymore.

By Swine on Thursday, October 7, 1999 - 11:20 am:

i'll kick your ass.

By friendly on Thursday, October 7, 1999 - 11:43 am:

get a job, loser.

By Waffles on Thursday, October 7, 1999 - 11:48 am:

you mean hoser right?

By Pink on Thursday, October 7, 1999 - 11:54 am:

no, I think he meant boozer.

By Rhiannon on Thursday, October 7, 1999 - 12:16 pm:

Whoa. Far be it for me to criticize anyone's character, but petulant child indeed. Since when did anyone over the age of 10 tell someone they didn't like them?

Gee, sweetie, have you been feeling okay since you got that shot in your arm?

By Simon on Thursday, October 7, 1999 - 12:33 pm:

Comming this Thanksgiving to a theatre near you

"Mad Max: Beyond Sorabjidome"

Starring Mel Gibson as Semillama
    Tina Turner as J
    Angry Anderson as The Waffleboy

and Debbie Gibson in her big-screen debut as the affable Gee

Brought to you by MiraMax films, in association with Blind Pig Productions.

Rated NC-17

By Waffles on Thursday, October 7, 1999 - 12:41 pm:

who is angry anderson? I take it he is the adversary. Beleive it or not,I actually avoid filsm with washed up pop stars, any John Lydon, Mick Jagger, or david Bowie film.

Except for Basquiat in which David played Andy, that ws ok, i suppose

By Waffles on Thursday, October 7, 1999 - 12:42 pm:

thats cool as long as I can have a machine gun ammo strip around my chest, a loin cloth, and be a deadly stick fighter

By Rhiannon on Thursday, October 7, 1999 - 12:51 pm:

Waffles, you can't forget "The Labyrinth" -- David was a pretty neat goblin king.

*laughing at the image of Waffles wearing a loin cloth and machine gun cartridges* Dude, you have to wear something on your head! I'm picturing that handkerchief that the Monty Python Gumbies wear...or a pirate hat.

By Waffles on Thursday, October 7, 1999 - 01:24 pm:

i dig the pirate hat, that'll work, but he loin cloth and machine gun belt are key........and I don't think i ever saw Labyrinth, if i did i forget

By J on Thursday, October 7, 1999 - 02:47 pm:

I,ll settle for a whip.

By Simon on Thursday, October 7, 1999 - 10:11 pm:

J gets nothing but a whip.

Hence the NC-17 rating.

By Semillama on Thursday, October 7, 1999 - 11:05 pm:

Oh jeez, that's the lamest movie of the bunch!

I think the movie would be more like Ice Pirates - y'all can fight over who gets to be Space Herpes.

although I secretly thinkn the cars in mad max were super cool, and i don't even like cars that much.

I also think Tina Turner would smell really awful after five minutes in a chain mail mini dress, not to mention all the pinching.

(and he leaves that last remark Wide open...!)

By Fetidbeaver on Friday, October 8, 1999 - 12:33 am:

Friendly, tell me what bus you ride. I'll be happy to come fart on it :-)

By Gee on Friday, October 8, 1999 - 12:54 am:

Oh, okay. I get it.

Waffleboy,

It's likely you don't care, but I didn't mean to seriously imply that I don't like you. I would never tell someone I didn't like them, even if I despised them. I would just ignore them compleatly. My theory is, as long as you keep trying to communicate with someone, there's hope.

I pointed out that I liked J as a joke. There was an implication there, but it was a j o k e . I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. So, my jokes go over your head, and your jokes go over my head. Oh well. No big loss. I can handle you questioning me, and I guess you'll just have to handle my questioning you. I'm not sure why everyone's making such a big deal out of it. Does it keep you up at nights knowing that I don't "get" all of your jokes? I also don't know what "affable" means.

So everyone can just relax a little. For pete's sake. I don't hate Waffle. I'm not at war with the guy. I just like bugging him. He says a lot of things that irritate me (which is why I bug him), but he's basically harmless. I wish you well, etc.

As for Swine, I think I could take him.

xoxo
    Gee

By friendly on Friday, October 8, 1999 - 01:32 am:

all right, bitch. i ride the #7 to rainer valley. why don't you bring your farty ass to seattle and rip some real stinky ones. that and your attitude guarantee a big chucklefest for me. but i suspect that you aren't at all as brash in real life as you are here; therefore, you can go fuck your dad.

By Fetidbeaver on Friday, October 8, 1999 - 01:52 am:

It just so happens that tomorrow is his birthday and he's coming to my house for his birthday. Thanks for the suggestion, I always have trouble deciding what to give him. (by the way, do you even know who your dad is...BITCH)

By friendly on Friday, October 8, 1999 - 01:55 am:

of course i do, dork.

By Fetidbeaver on Friday, October 8, 1999 - 01:59 am:

Good-nite

By friendly on Friday, October 8, 1999 - 02:08 am:

die.

By Announcer on Friday, October 8, 1999 - 02:10 am:

and so the bell rang, recess was over, and everybody went to 4th period.

By Cyst on Friday, October 8, 1999 - 09:59 am:

do you really ride the #7 to rainier valley?

that's the scariest bus in seattle.

By Swine on Friday, October 8, 1999 - 10:47 am:

the #6 up aurora is definately a contender.

By friendly on Friday, October 8, 1999 - 11:45 am:

actually, i drive the toyota to lacey. i used to ride the 7 but that was years ago. never a dull moment on the #7. the #6 is the pits and so is whatever bus goes out delridge to white center. man, i am so glad i don't have to take buses anymore.

By Waffles on Friday, October 8, 1999 - 12:01 pm:

I m sure he'll be happy to fart in your Toyota as well

you're right Gee, I don't know what you are talking and I don't care..........cheers anyway

By Semillama on Friday, October 8, 1999 - 01:58 pm:

So, how many seattle folks here live in a river valley? (re: the current issue of discover.)

I checked, and my friends out there are out of the danger zone.

By friendly on Friday, October 8, 1999 - 02:44 pm:

i live about 5 miles from the mouth of the nisqually. i'm on a hill so i only have to watch out for flying rock. i haven't seen the issue you are referring to but i assume it's about mount rainer erupting and all the mud and pyroclastic flows.

By Cyst on Friday, October 8, 1999 - 03:42 pm:

last time I rode the #7 to rainier valley (after midnight on a saturday night in 1992 or so), someone threatened to kick my ass.

I was extremely stoned and equally afraid of staying in the back of the bus and moving up by the driver.

the ass kickers settled down and started toking out in the very back rows. I sat quietly, listening to them and the rapid beat of my heart.

By Semillama on Friday, October 8, 1999 - 04:44 pm:

the current issue, with rainier on the cover. I read all about it before. There is a very good article on a p.t.'s efforts to change attitudes about how feet are treated. Turns out that the ankle joints in some people aer asymetrical, that is the one in the left is different from the one in the right, whcih can lead to severe problems. She wants feet to be treated the same way as vision, ie prescription shoes. That would only work if Nike could make a profit off of it.

By Pink on Friday, October 8, 1999 - 04:56 pm:

yeah, Sem. and Nike would love to turn a profit with this new obstacle. imagine asian slaves, under the age of 11, trying to figure out a foot prescription for correcting the stride. plausible?

By Agatha on Friday, October 8, 1999 - 11:50 pm:

one time i was on the seven and a group of young men started picking on me and my friend because her hair brushed one of their hands when we sat down. they called her a bitch, she told them to fuck off, they threatened us for the rest of the ride and then got off at the same stop as us. they spit all over us and my friend got her face slapped so hard that it left a hand mark for several hours. concerned citizens flocked around us, and the police took off after the surly young men. it was all very exciting and terrible. i still ride the bus, but those kinds of things don't happen in olympia. i do have to ride the bus with the "smelly woman" and the crazy mother and daughter duo whose combined age is roughly 125, however.

By Pink on Saturday, October 9, 1999 - 01:10 am:

what's with this bus thing? nobody gives a shit what bus you take/took, the stories you over-embellish. i don't care. do you want to hear about my latest shit in the toilet? did't think so.

By Gee on Saturday, October 9, 1999 - 01:18 am:

Fuck you, Pink. The stuff Agatha blows out of her nose when she's sick is more interesting than anything I've heard you say.

By friendly on Saturday, October 9, 1999 - 02:48 am:

green snot > pink shit

By J on Saturday, October 9, 1999 - 02:52 am:

Can,t we all just get along?

By friendly on Saturday, October 9, 1999 - 03:09 am:

sure darlin. wanna beer? i have a few full sails left but you have to share your smokes because i'm out and i don't wanna put any clothes on to go to the am-pm.

By Pink on Saturday, October 9, 1999 - 04:58 am:

I believe I was talking about all those with a bus story, not limiting my distain for reading "I've got a better bus story than you" to Agatha.

Well. Gee, let me tell you like it is. Whether I'm home or at work, I'll hook up to sorabji to see what's shakin'. When I do, in the wee hours of the morn, I see your name adhered to at least 6 posts or more. I don't even bother reading them, for I know it's cancerous drivel that only you can spout. Kinda like reading a 90's version of Dick and Jane. Pure boredom.

I don't lay claim to posting anything intelligent or interesting, never have. Never will. I type from reaction. You, on the other hand, are just plain adolescent. No wonder some of the people here rile you. YOU are a target for laughter. You don't understand sarcasm and jibes. You just don't get it at all.

I am astounded that you finally used the phrase "fuck you"...about time. Run with dogs or piss with the pups.

By Swine on Saturday, October 9, 1999 - 06:45 am:

step into the cage.

By Semillama on Saturday, October 9, 1999 - 01:49 pm:

One fall, no disqualifications. Now if some one would light the fire around the ring,...LET'S GET IT ON!!

By Agatha on Saturday, October 9, 1999 - 02:59 pm:

wow, am i having a bad two days. i guess bus stories are officially off limits. let's talk about pathetic relationships with our girlfriend who is fucking her ex. that's always really fascinating. or, maybe we could talk about pets some more.

By Semillama on Saturday, October 9, 1999 - 04:23 pm:

my cat has a stubby tail and small ears.

By Agatha on Saturday, October 9, 1999 - 04:28 pm:

sounds like a fine cat, sem. my dog just rolled in something foul AGAIN, i guess i should go bathe him.

By Agatha on Saturday, October 9, 1999 - 04:36 pm:

nobody loves me, everybody hates me, i'm going to eat some worms. long thin squirmy ones, short fat stubby ones, itty bitty squirmy wormy worms.

that bus story was not an exaggeration. i have witnesses.

By Pink on Saturday, October 9, 1999 - 05:18 pm:

Let's talk about X's. Fire away, Ag. Let's talk about something with composition. Let's air it out here. Go ahead. You wanna talk, do it.

I may be pathetic, I'll own up to that, but I'm never beaten. I come out swinging most of the time. Go ahead, talk.

Now there are 2 on my ass kicking list. Anymore? Step up if you want to be heard.

By friendly on Saturday, October 9, 1999 - 05:52 pm:

my cat can eat a whole watermelon!

pink, arguing with tiny-dicked people like you and fetid is a waste of time.

By Swine on Saturday, October 9, 1999 - 06:16 pm:

the cage will be built next to the telephone booth in the mojave desert.

e-ticket confirmation will be sent upon project completion.

boo bah yay!

By Cyst on Saturday, October 9, 1999 - 06:36 pm:

everyone ready for another overembellished non-story?

last night I decided I wanted to see "happiness" again.

so I walked in the rain to hollywood video to pick it up on dvd, but I didn't see it. I asked about it and they said it looked like they didn't carry it at all.

fuckers.

I knew that blockbuster wasn't carrying it, but hollywood video carries nc-17 movies and the standard cinema edits of stuff. not like blockbuster.

but I guess they are like blockbuster.

so then I decided that I HAD TO SEE THE MOVIE that night. no matter what.

I called a couple of indie places and they said they had it, but the dvd was checked out.

so I decided to buy it. but where?

suncoast said no. I figured sam goody wasn't even worth the call. same with musicland and the rest of the mall stores.

I called borders. they asked if they could put me on hold, and I thought about asking "doyouselldvds?" really fast instead of saying "yes," but I just said yes and waited and waited.

while I was on hold, I looked at the other entries on that page. there's a town called "boring" near here, so I sort of chuckled at the "boring tavern" type entries.

then I saw something called "bored housewives."

the borders guy picked up again and told me sorry, and I was sort of pissed about that, but I was also curious about "bored housewives."

I called the number, hoping to hear a funny recording, but instead a petulant-sounding woman answered. I could hear kids whining in the background.

"hello?"

"umm hi." (I didn't know what to say.) "are you a bored housewife?"

"uh, who is this?"

"oh. did you know that your number is listed in the portland telephone directory as 'bored housewives'?"

"yeah, I know."

"oh. I was just wondering what it was." (I am so fucking naive.)

"it's an ESCORT service."

"oh. ok. thanks. bye!"

I hung up the phone really fast and then looked up the number for tower records and video, where I ended up buying the dvd.

By Semillama on Saturday, October 9, 1999 - 07:10 pm:

That's weird that hollywood didn't have it, even the podunk movie place here that doesn't even carry foreign films ( or many, at least) has it.

I have not watched the movies I have rented yet. I can't remember what the second one was. That's probabaly pretty bad and either means I shouldn't have rented it or am in for a pleasant surprise.

By Pink on Saturday, October 9, 1999 - 07:47 pm:

Now there are 3 on my ass-kicking list. Thank you, friendly. Wanna participate? Now that FETID is involved and perhaps WAFFLES, still wanna sling shit? I'll stand on my own, without them. Perhaps Cyst can delve into this. I seemed to have offended you also.

Come on, you bunch a pussies!

Let's start them fightin' words. I'm ready. Give it your best.

By Semillama on Saturday, October 9, 1999 - 08:40 pm:

I think we've got a four corner match shaping up for the pay-per-view! With the suprise return of Margret to SCW, this shakes up the contendership for the number one spot for the championship belt, currently held by nate, whose patented "fuck you, you ass" finishing manouver has helped him retain the world title.

Or, could we be seeing the formation of a new tag team feud, Margret and Gee vs. Fetidbeaver and Friendly (managed by the crafty pink eye) foro the now vacant tag belts?

never guess what i was just watching

By Swine on Saturday, October 9, 1999 - 09:45 pm:

what?!?

you llama-fucking shit-digging two-dolla slut!

the blindswine "EAT HOT FUCK" trick holds this shit-slingin' title, you cheap-ass maggie mead wanna-be bitch!

i'll kick your ringside announcing ass, cocksnot!

step into the cage, you post-coital drip sucking felch licka!

bring it!

BRING IT!!!

By Simon on Sunday, October 10, 1999 - 12:08 am:

Agatha's on my list of people on whose behalf I will jump into a fray. Sign me up, swine. I wanna piece of whatever's left of pink after everybody else in line before me gets done.

I'll be sure to have someone relieve me for guard duty first.

I'll schedule my vacation day for this first thing next week.

By Semi on Sunday, October 10, 1999 - 01:18 am:

Hey man, that's the angle now. I know you're totally over with the fans, so we're setting up a heel turn for you where you beat him for the title under a storm of controversy, smacking him when he's not looking with one of those rolands you talk about. You always gotta work the angles, ya see. later, oatmeal boy comes down and interfers in the rematch, where upon you and nate team up, kind of like the Rock and mankind in the WWF right now. Oatmeal boy ends up being put through a flaming table, after accidently taking me out with an international object that he was aiming for you with. I appear the next week with a neck brace. It's all planned to boost t-shirt sales for the new "eat hot fuck, you ass" promo.

By J on Sunday, October 10, 1999 - 02:20 am:

I,ll kick Oatmeals little blue balls so quick they will see flashbacks!!!

By Gee on Sunday, October 10, 1999 - 03:27 am:

LoL This is so freaking amusing. What a bunch of freaks.

Tomorow I go to my brothers house for thanksgiving. One day early. I'm goig to buy grapes and watch "The Man In The Iron Mask" with my mother (who knows almost as many lines as I do, I'm sad to say) and start a new tradition. Why grapes? Because even though there was a lot of food in the movie, the only time anyone ever actually ate anything, was when Leo ate ONE grape after having sex with some tart. That's why grapes.

PS-I like Agatha. She's very sharp.

By Pink on Sunday, October 10, 1999 - 04:59 am:

see? boooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring chatter.

By Rhiannon on Sunday, October 10, 1999 - 10:59 am:

Don't be cruel, Pink. What you have to do is slap her face with a glove and call the time and place.
    Oh, you've already done that...

Gee, you get to choose the weapon. I'll be your second, if you'd like.

By Cyst on Sunday, October 10, 1999 - 02:17 pm:

I'd really like to hear pink's ideas about interesting things to talk about.

I like hearing about bus experiences and thanksgiving traditions. I mean, exactly what level of discourse is expected of us here?

By Semillama on Sunday, October 10, 1999 - 06:09 pm:

Exactly. I wonder if there is a connection between Canada's thanksgiving day and our columbus day, as they occur the same day?

I call coulmbus day either Sea Pirate Day or Cultural Genocide day, since I think we should be upfront about what we are celebrating.

By Rhiannon on Sunday, October 10, 1999 - 06:45 pm:

Did you know that in ancient Greece it was socially acceptable to be a pirate? You didn't have to hide it or anything. At dinner parties, you could say "What do I do for a living? Why, I loot, pillage, and plunder the Aegean Sea. Yourself?"

Did you know that Jean David Nau, called "L'Ollonois," a French pirate of the 17th century, once cut the heart out of a Spanish prisoner and ate it on the spot as a warning to his mutinous crew? And that he was himself eaten by cannibals?

Did you know that my best friend occasionally attends a charismatic Catholic church, and that there was a parishioner there who was believed to be schizophrenic and had auditory and visual hallucinations of people being tortured and the sounds of battle...but through a revelation it was discovered that this man's ancestors had been pirates, and that he was suffering from generational trauma...and so when a prayer of deliverance was said over him, he was cured of his apparent schizophrenia and now is a healthy man?

Kind of neat, don't you think?

By MoonIt on Sunday, October 10, 1999 - 09:37 pm:

Did you know I had a tooth pulled on Friday and have missed all the fun Dammit. All the abuse. Ahhh it takes me back to my childhood. Anyhoo I am holidaying from work at home YAY. But in pain BOO. Which with a bit of luck will fade shortly. At least the swelling in my cheek has gone down.

Swine... need some food handout people/souviener sellers??

By Fetidbeaver on Sunday, October 10, 1999 - 09:38 pm:

Today pirates go by the title, Attorney.

By Fetidbeaver on Sunday, October 10, 1999 - 09:54 pm:

Pink, I think your comments regarding Gee are right on target.
    Friendly, I called your mom a two bit whore then she busted me in the head with a sack of quarters. She also tells me that your daddy cock-fed you as a baby.
    After the weekend I've had I would gladly come to Seattle and make you my bitch. Here's my email. Let me know your address, send airfare, lube your ass, grab your ankles, get ready for the "Tiny dick" violation.

By Sheila on Sunday, October 10, 1999 - 10:14 pm:

jesus herbie christ. it almost makes me want to come back.

By Gee on Sunday, October 10, 1999 - 10:19 pm:

I'm at my brother's house now looking for hotels in St. Catharines (for when I go to see My Boys). It's hard bcause I don't know where any of the streets are and the map St. Catharine's website provides is so tiny I can't make out the street names.

The tradition I'd hoped to start didn't work out. I was really dissapointed. I think we're going to start playing trivial pursuit soon. Star Wars version.

We did do the usual tradition of bringing up all the stupid things my siblings and I did when we were younger. My favorite was the story about my brother running around naked in front of strangers. Those stories always make me laugh so hard it really hurts, so it all worked out pretty well.

And it's almost time for pie! yaaaay!!

By Agatha on Sunday, October 10, 1999 - 11:29 pm:

pink: your mama's bald with a part. go away.

fetid: your mama's got no teeth and braces. mend your ways, but you are at least not as boring as pink so it's okay with me if you stick around.

By MapleLeaf on Sunday, October 10, 1999 - 11:53 pm:

Canadian Thanksgiving Day has nothing to do with Columbus Day other than sharing the same date.

And so you wonder...why is our Thanksgiving so early?

It is because our pumpkins are ready now for picking due to the supposedly cooler weather .....can't have Thanksgiving without pumpkin pie and they would be out of season if we waited until (what is it?) the third Thursday of November.

There is a reason for everything ...except for maybe this cage fight.

By friendly on Monday, October 11, 1999 - 12:43 am:

nice one, fb. you keep your shit-smudged l'il smokie away from me.

By Pink on Monday, October 11, 1999 - 12:52 am:

bitches stickin' up for the bitches.

maybe we should examine what caused Gee to snap. for never reading a post from her saying, "Fuck you,..." to any person here, it struck me as very odd and I won't ignore a comment like that.

By Agatha on Monday, October 11, 1999 - 12:09 pm:

that's bYtches with a Y to you, suckah.

that is very interesting about the pirates. i am enjoying the image that a conversation between a pirate and some merchant trader may have happened in some place in time. that's downright funny.

By Sarah on Monday, October 11, 1999 - 08:01 pm:

happiest: Don't Worry, Be Happy

saddest: whatever that hidden track is on Alanis Morisette's first CD. would you forgive me love, if i danced in your shower? would you forgive me love, if i laid in your bed? would you forgive me love, if i stayed all afternoon?

By Semillama on Tuesday, October 12, 1999 - 09:09 pm:

hell no. Go away Alanis, and bring back PJ Harvey.

(No offense, but to me personally, alanis is a faded out version of what the music industry regards as the selling points to Ani DiFranco, plus her voice! Makes my teeth grit!)

By Swine on Tuesday, October 12, 1999 - 10:02 pm:

queen bee by taj mahal always strikes me as a joyous song.

that song at the end of "KIDS" always sounds pretty sad. no idea what it's called or who performs it. probably one of those bands i say i can't stand when asked.

By Skooter on Wednesday, October 13, 1999 - 01:21 pm:

Saddest...bells for her by Tori Amos, a song plaed in a very minor key on a broken toy piano. For months i could'nt listen to that without chocking. Happiest? Heartbeat by cry on cue.....got the riddim'

By Waffles on Wednesday, October 13, 1999 - 01:58 pm:

DAMN!!!! what a hot thread, the shit is flyin in so m,any directiosn i am hesitant to get my coals in the fire.....muchless at who???

I still think the match of the millenium is me and lucy, armed with politicos and welfare stamps.........shit and hell fire, no metal chair needed...............and

inane public transit story. i got into a fight on a the G line ( i think) in brooklyn) this bitch across the way started talkin shit...older man, looked homeless, started saying some vulgar shit to my wife. i let him ramble, she usally takes care of herself....when the context was approprite she grabbed to me and said something admiring about my cock (the context was appropriate but i forget exactly what he was babbling about) he then stood up and started to unzip his pants...i said he didn't want to do that, he slapped me across the face i shoved him back across into his seat, when i stood up and he realized i was a good foot or so bigger than him, he continued his ramble shit and stayed seated.........it drew no attention what so ever amongst the other passengers....you can talk shit all you want, but don't touch me.....my wife was able to make me see that i didn't want to spend the rest of new years in a brooklyn holding cell

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, October 13, 1999 - 03:40 pm:

Boy, you are a psycho magnet if there ever was one.

By Waffles on Wednesday, October 13, 1999 - 03:43 pm:

it seems that way at times,

By Gee on Wednesday, October 13, 1999 - 06:18 pm:

Now you all know what I'm doing here.

By Sarah on Thursday, October 14, 1999 - 05:23 am:

i didn't say Alanis Morisette was some spectacular female artist, i only said that one song of hers is the saddest song i ever heard. it is! it's really fucking sad.

also, Alanis may be in the musical shadow of a slew of superior female artists right now, but in my opinion, Alanis is still a brilliant lyric/song writer. i find her stuff to be theraputic.

so there. neener neener.

By Rhiannon on Thursday, October 14, 1999 - 09:15 am:

It will never cease to amaze me that someone can rip a page out of her self-centered journal, set it to music, and then be regarded as a brilliant songwriter.

I know I'm self-centered, too, but I don't wish to inflict myself upon millions and millions of hapless people. I settle for the 30 or so hapless people right here. ;)

By Waffles on Thursday, October 14, 1999 - 12:01 pm:

i like her sillyassed disco stuff......

By heather on Thursday, October 14, 1999 - 01:59 pm:

i want to avoid a judgement on alanis

but i wouldn't call it 'inflicting yourself'

people obviously want it

whether it's because they relate, or they want to think that they're not alone in their feelings, or even that things are not so bad for them at that moment

even if people have been basically TAUGHT to ask for it... every commodity is asked for

By Frankie Teardrop on Thursday, October 14, 1999 - 02:30 pm:

.......he works at the factory

By Semillama on Friday, October 15, 1999 - 10:56 am:

Alanis could be the best songwriter in the world, its the voice - arrreeergghh is how it makes me go.

By Rarebit on Friday, October 15, 1999 - 01:53 pm:

Alanis looks sort of like a horse.

Sorry to veer back on topic, but:

14:31 by Global Communication, off the 76:14 LP.

Early-nineties ambient stuff. I'm not sure how many of yall are into that sort of thing, and it's really neither happy nor sad, but it sure as hell is moving. It's turned cogs in my brain I didn't even know I had. There's a certain innocence there that's missing from most of today's music, electronic or otherwise.

By Waffles on Friday, October 15, 1999 - 02:02 pm:

fuck 80s ambient, check out Harmonia, it was project that included Brian Eno in the mid 70s, or better yet, check out anything Brian did back then, also Faust and Neu had some far out shit.....also Cluster, THATS some ambient shit before that term was even coined.....i think withe the digital musci that is being produced we are missign ahuman elemnet. there is a craft to actually picking up some sticks and beatin on skins, the craft is human, mistakes must be made, i don't want anything synthisized by a perfect machine,,,,the human elemnet must be restored, anybody can learn a fucking software program if they stay up late enough...

By Rarebit on Friday, October 15, 1999 - 02:28 pm:

Don't worry, I'm familliar with Eno, and a few things krautrock (prolly not nearly enough, tho), and I'll be the first to agree, it's quality.

But...there is something to be said about being able to wring human emotion out of an otherwise "perfect machine." It *can* be done, and most certainly has been since the period you describe. You're sopt on about it being missing these days, though. Most people working in the digital realm in '99 are too busy custom building software to write music for them and fucking with DSP to worry about *feeling*

By Rarebit on Friday, October 15, 1999 - 02:37 pm:

erp...*spot* on

By Waffles on Friday, October 15, 1999 - 02:41 pm:

you know i once got the opportunity to speak with Holger Czukay on the the telephone and I was inquiring about Jaki Leibzeit, the drummer of Can, a huge influence on me and my drumming and he cracked a joke saying "they invented the drum machine to put the humanity back in drumming"....if you are not famililar with Jaki Leibzeit he is a fucking GOD, precise as a swiss watch, fucking amazing, it took me a while to understand Holger's weird German humor but i eventually figured it out. I guess my biggest example would be VU. They make all kinds of weird mistakes in their music, but is so very real, it's very grounded......

Rhi in regards to another post you asked who or what my band was in atlanta, sorry, were called Accustat, we had nifty umlout over the U, a psuedo term to imply something we wanted to be...accurate and set, we had to split it up when we moved out to LA, we got to play some amazing shows though with some great acts, Dave Thomas of Pere Ubu, Silver Apples, Seely (the only american band on Duphonic, stereolabs label), Subsonics and many more .....i miss it alot cause LA sucks royal shit for a music scene

By J on Friday, October 15, 1999 - 03:38 pm:

Ever hear of Carmen Appice?

By Waffles on Friday, October 15, 1999 - 03:47 pm:

no

do tell

By J on Friday, October 15, 1999 - 04:48 pm:

By H on Friday, October 15, 1999 - 04:58 pm:

Waffles, you are just too fuckin' cool. Can is great. I love "Mushroom."

By Waffles on Friday, October 15, 1999 - 05:10 pm:

yeah, have you heard the record Unlimited Edition? It's a kick ass record of all their out takes and loops that they made in their recording studio in Germany (i.e. this huge castle they all lived and worked in )

Have you ever seen their documentary or live concert videos? They fuckin rock to be able to see them do what you have always heard........a friend gave me copies of them, i think they come with the box set that came out earlier this year.

My favorite songs are Spoon, She Brings The Rain and Mother Sky.

By Semillama on Saturday, October 16, 1999 - 11:58 pm:

I am currrently listening to the "nw" Mahavishnu Orchestra track on the new CMJ comp. pretty cool. Some real good stuff here. One thing that annoys me about cmj is that they'll review albums coming out soon that I want to hear but not include tracks form them. However, since iusulay get those albums regardless, I guess it's not that annoying.

New Material album out soon, supposed to be an experimental glimpse into the future of hip-hop, with Killah Priest, Flavah Flav, and many others. Supposed to be the shit.

By J on Sunday, October 17, 1999 - 01:05 am:

Sem,do you ever come out here?

By _____ on Sunday, October 17, 1999 - 06:02 am:

mahavishnu.

prog rock cubed.

i wish i knew how to do a superscript 3. any ideas?

By Semillama on Sunday, October 17, 1999 - 08:58 pm:

"out there" is the Southwest, right? If i remember right, New Mexico? I'm horrible at remembering where people from the middle of the country are from.

So, anyway, if that's where you at, that's the one area of the country I have never been, there and California. In the foreseeable future, unless there's a conference I need to go to out that way, I don't see myself coming out that way soon.

Which is kind of unfortunate, because I would like to see Southwest.I've been to France twice, but never to the SW, weird, huh?

However, If I do make it out there I promise to let you know and drop in.

I may be going out to Portland and Seattle for a week next spring, if i can afford to take the time off from work. All my real close friends live in those two cities now. It so happens that some sorabjites live out that aways as well, so I may visit them if they be willing. I'm trying to hook up with Rhiannon for a night o' Philly fun when I go out there for a confernce in April. I don't think my charming personality has persuaded any of our Canadian compatriots to travel to f'ing Quebec City when I am there this january.

I am going back to Michigan next week for a conferance in Lansing. I am really excited about it. It's my first time presenting a paper at a professional meeting and I get reimbursed for everything. Plus, its a big college town and that means cool bookstores and used disc shops! Drool drool drool. I may have to pick up the Sheila Divine album this track I am listening to on the CMJdisc right now is off of. Sounds eerily like Cobain, although they look more like the Chess club from whitebread high.

So, anyway, I guees I will be absent from these boards for a week or so. Someone's going to have to cover my spot as ringside announcer if the cage match goes down.

By J on Monday, October 18, 1999 - 10:20 am:

Yea Sem,Arizona is rich in your field of work,I can walk to the A.S.U. research park,when we first moved here I took my kids to play in the park,came home with some broken Indian pottery.Walnut Canyon in Flagstaff always blows my mind,I could never figure out why the Indians live so high in the cliffs,when all the action was on the ground.

By BK on Monday, October 18, 1999 - 10:40 am:

Well I don't know but I'm sure Gee or her mom could tell ya

By Dougie on Wednesday, June 14, 2000 - 07:33 pm:

Could be either the saddest or happiest song, depending on how it's played: "Smile" by Charlie Chaplin.

smile
    though your heart is aching
    smile
    even though it's breaking
    when there are clouds
    in the sky
    you'll get by
    smile
    through your fear and sorrow
    smile
    and maybe tomorrow
    you'll see the sun
    come shining through
    for you

light up your face with gladness
    hide every trace of sadness
    although a tear
    may be ever so near
    that's the time
    you must keep on trying
    smile
    what's the use of crying
    you'll see that life
    is still worthwhile
    for you

smile
    though your heart is breaking
    smile
    even though it's aching
    when there are clouds
    in the sky
    you'll get by
    if you smile
    through your fear and sorrow
    smile
    and maybe tomorrow
    you'll see the sun
    come shining through
    for you

light up your face with gladness
    hide every trace of sadness
    although a tear
    may be ever so near
    that's the time
    you must keep on trying
    smile
    what's the use of crying
    you'll see that life
    is still worthwhile
    for you

By droop on Wednesday, June 14, 2000 - 08:12 pm:

oddly, that song has been running through my mind. if i could be said to have a philosphy, it would be: no matter how bad it gets, fake it.

chaplin wrote that?

By Dougie on Wednesday, June 14, 2000 - 08:35 pm:

Yes, Chaplin wrote it. I believe he wrote a lot of music for his films, even though he wasn't musically trained. I think it's from City Lights. I find that song so haunting, and it runs through my mind constantly. My new favorite version is by Gidon Kremer (a violinist) on his album, "Cinema."

By droopy on Wednesday, June 14, 2000 - 08:47 pm:

wild. the version i've got is by nat king cole. he's gotten me through some rough times. sort of like w.s. burrough's "few louis armstrong records and a bottle of paregoric."

By Dougie on Wednesday, June 14, 2000 - 09:00 pm:

Yeah, good old Nat sings it beautifully, as did he everything.

By J on Wednesday, June 14, 2000 - 09:14 pm:

My Dad had all his albums,they are mine now.

By Dougie on Thursday, June 15, 2000 - 08:34 pm:

That's cool, J. Sounds like a nice collection. You should hang on to that. Do you like Nat? Dumb question, how can anyone not like Nat? He's the ideal of suavity, and his singing is perfection. He was also a great pianist.

By Gee on Friday, June 16, 2000 - 01:36 am:

Nat King Cole could be swell sometimes, but honestly, he didn't have a whole heck of a lot of range with this voice. he pretty well only hit one note.

By dave. on Friday, June 16, 2000 - 02:46 am:

the same could be said for most singers. i like instrumental bands or bands with lyrics that don't matter. i'm tired of lyrics. just shut up and play.

By Dougie on Friday, June 16, 2000 - 09:17 am:

No range? One note? He had enough range to croon some of the greatest pop standards ever.

By J on Friday, June 16, 2000 - 03:05 pm:

I loved his version of On the Sunny Side of the Street,did a tap dance recital to that one.

By Rhiannon on Friday, June 16, 2000 - 06:13 pm:

Yo quiero Don Caballero.

Their song "Lucky Father Brown" totally rocks. It don't have no words neither.

By Spider on Monday, June 2, 2003 - 05:16 pm:

This was a great thread. It had everything.

By semillama on Tuesday, June 3, 2003 - 06:29 pm:

indeed.

"you cheap-ass maggie mead wanna-be bitch! "

I miss the good ol' days.

Let's try to bring 'em back.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact