fIREHOSE, Ragin' full on

sorabji.com: What are you listening to?: fIREHOSE, Ragin' full on
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Wavydave on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 12:41 pm:

Mike Watt is a KLLLER bassist - and they do some very original music. Today I also have:
    Honest Don's welcome wagon - compilation of ska/punk
    Fat Music Vol IV - comp of punk bands on Fat Mike's label
    Clumsy Lovers - Irish/Folk/whatever band out of B.C. Canada - they are a helluva lotta fun live

By Waffles on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 12:45 pm:

you should be here, he plays weekly around town with various other people....usually a Nels cline combo or possibly with Keith Morris of circle jerks.....

By Rhiannon on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 12:50 pm:

I've never heard Mike Watt, but I like him anyway. He looks like someone's nice dad.

By Waffles on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 01:01 pm:

bass player from the Minutemen way back when...he has done a million side projects....did he also work with black flag in the day?

By Wavydave on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 01:04 pm:

where do you live waffles?
    closest he comes here (Idaho Falls) is Salt Lake City, oct. 1st or 2nd (cant remeber the date right now)

i'm going to see Jethro Tull on the 26th in Boise - saw him in Anchorage a couple of years ago - Ian Anderson is an incredible showman - he knows how to work a crowd. His voice isn't as strong, but he more than makes up for it with his music and charisma

By JusMiceElf on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 01:06 pm:

Damn! Clumsy Lovers are still around? I had Flip The Cat on cassette years back, and I have a cd from a few years ago as well. Great stuff, what!

By JusMiceElf on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 01:09 pm:

As for fIREHOSE, they're great too. I had Ragin' Full On, and Flyin the Flannel (a promo cassette, which came with a real piece of flannel).

By Waffles on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 01:09 pm:

LA

By Wavydave on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 01:12 pm:

waffles - just confirmed with my roommate - mike watt's wife has played with Black Flag, but he doesnt think mike has played with them.
    have you ever seen a Henry Rollins Spoken word perfomance - i've been to two and I've laughed so hard my face was sore afterwards.

Jus - Yes, the clumsy lovers are still playing and touring. they swung thru here the first of the month (as well as a few months ago)
    www.clumsylovers.com is their site: you can find tour/gig info there
    rumor has it they're coming back thru I.F. sometime soon.

By Wavydave on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 01:14 pm:

Ok, I like Mike Watt, but I'm not willing to move to L.A. to see 'em on a regular basis :P

I've borrowed two nickels on the dime from a co-worker - was going to copy the CD but it's 2 min over the allowed length...so i have to go try again and drop a track..lets see, one out of..44?!

By Droopy on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 01:43 pm:

mike watt rules.

by the way it's "double nickels".

i am at a fihose concert in denton, texas (miraculously, no one was shot). at the end of it mike watt starts circulating around the crowd because he is the man of the people. i shake his hand one of my friends tells him that i'm a bass player

mike watt: a bass player? alright! whaddya play?
    me: p-bass
    m.w.: fender! that's the shit! i never play anything else!

i look at him quizzically because that night he'd been playing a light-blue thunderbird.

m.w.: yeah, i know i was playing that gibson tonight. i busted the neck on my fender and had to borrow that one. it's weird...it's like a dolphin, man!...this whole porpoise experience!
    me: where are you playing next?
    m.w.: trees, in dallas, come see us.
    me: when?
    m.w.: tomorrow night and the next. we play every night when we're on the road, 'cause when your not playin' your payin'.

now that's rock and roll.

By Jinafishes on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 02:01 pm:

He's playing in Olympia soon Wavy, or maybe he already played... that's somewhat closer anyhow.

By Wavydave on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 02:13 pm:

Olympia is quite a drive...but thx Jina.
    btw, what's with the fishes?

Idaho Falls is 16hrs from Seattle (drove that in one stint - whew)

I'm approx 3.5 hrs north of Salt Lake City and 4.5 hrs east of Boise. Not exactly musical Mecca

By Waffles on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 02:14 pm:

i like you Jina

By Friendly on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 03:48 pm:

hold it a minute!

i think that watt/rollins thing is called minuteflag. rollins is also on ballhog or tugboat. nels cline is amazing. i have this thing called scarnella (i have a huge crush on carla bozulich) that is very nice if you like nels cline trio or geraldine fibbers. i hope to see watt "searchin the shed for pliers" in oly.

alright, carry on.

By Jinafishes on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 04:11 pm:

I like you too Waffles.

The fish? I don't know. I had a friend who would just make up outrageous names to use, to name a few she liked Ninka, Spectre, Ananda, Azul, Kiami, Alli, Jinafishes. She just made them up, off the top of her head, and I like her a lot, and Jinafishes is just weird, you know? It keeps me guessing too.

If you need a music mecca I suggest the area between seattle and olympia cause those are the two places for music that you'll see a lot. Not all of it's good, but it's still worthwhile. I just saw Harvey Danger in Olympia a couple weekends ago and it's just amazing to even get good music like this here, I'm blown away. I was standing in line and had to go to the bathroom, so I ran to this local restaurant and on my way back I pass the whole Harvey Danger group going the other way. It was weird. The lead singer is really fucking tall.

By Waffles on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 04:24 pm:

nels cline is a guitar god, h owes everything to Thruston though, i heard a cd they did together,,,holycowfuck does it rock. it was recorded live here in LA at Rhino records. I did see the geraldine fibbers in SF one time. They are ok, but iam not spastic about them. I like Polvo simply because they are on the radio and they are from a place I once lived and they wore funny sports jerseys

By Semillama on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 07:51 pm:

I just listened to FLyin' the Flannel yesterday...weird...

So, I have heard that the Rollins band has broken up and Rollins is about to put out an album with a different group, while the absolutely amazing guitarist,Chris Haskett, is going to play with Bowie and Gabriels. Holy Shit!

By Wavydave on Thursday, September 16, 1999 - 11:29 pm:

wavydave is actually from my friend Miranda
    the other name my friends would call me was Torsoman - I have a long torso and I used to hike my shorts down to make it seem longer. I'd strut around making weird poses to make 'em laugh. the pic on my homepage is my imitation of a model doing the gothic slump .

wavydave's humble page

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact