Portrait of Leda

sorabji.com: What are you listening to?: Portrait of Leda
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Nelly on Sunday, January 4, 1998 - 12:38 am:
    You didn't say obscure, but... This is about the weirdest record I own, or at least the one that comes to mind. On the web, sure enough there's something about it on the "Women of Exotica" page: 1958, Leda Annest as "Columbia's answer to Yma Sumac". (Oh all right, here). I trotted it out just for you, and am bemoaning the fact that it's been to one too many parties and has a wee scratch right at the beginning.

There are no songs on the album. No words. Just 2 full sides (parts 1-4) of orchestration and "the voice."

An integral part of the Leda experience is the album jacket. On the front is a closeup photo angled upward against a gold swirly fabric background, of a woman in semi-profile, gazing into the distance, with bright red cascading hair (slight suggestion of brown roots showing--or possibly colorized?) and bright red lipstick extending beyond the outline of her parted lips.

On the back are the liner notes. Would that there were time and space enough to quote them all here.
    Some highlights:

"Here you have a piece of music written for and named after the girl who sings it--a girl, moreover, good-looking enough to pose for her own record cover picture...

Who is Leda Annest? Well, to start with the obvious, she is a girl who sings. But this isn't as simple-minded as it sounds. When this girl sings she takes off into an area where most singers are lost, that area bounded by the libido to the east, the stream of consciousness to the west, the rivers of Lethe to the south, and to the north the Great Unknowable...

Leda sings blood music. D.H. Lawrence would have understood her...

I have seen a group of businessmen who listened to Leda together fall into consternation and embarrassment...

Listen to Leda alone. It is much the safest. Or listen to Leda with one other person. But be careful who it is...

Leda sings not to the ears but to the sympathetic nervous system. Does Leda sing about anything? Yes, about Everything. Is there a story told? Yes, and it is the story you hear when she sings it. It is your story she sings, whether you know it or not. It is a story, some say, about the loss of innocence, about lust and the sad recovery afterwards, about human darkness and despair. But that's their idea. You may find something else again...

Leda has that quality--the indistinct passing of the naked face of someone familiar and beloved to each of us, seen and then not seen, there but--gone. The reeds whisper by the river bank. We knew her. Yes, we knew her. But when?"

The record was "Composed and Conducted by Phil Moore," (tempted to mention him under Obscure Composers but knowing who hangs around there, thought better of it), and about him the notes are much more, uh, specific. (One theorizes that Leda's training and background, and perhaps even her real name, were things she chose to conceal.)

His resume includes "masters of the country's higher institutions of pedagogy," the scoring of such films as "This Gun for Hire," "My Favorite Blonde," and "Palm Beach Story," and about 200 songs published including "Shoo Shoo, Baby" and "I Feel So Smoochie."

"...anything that a musical man can do, Phil Moore has done, creating, directing, fostering talent, producing shows--a veritable one-man music industry, and all with taste, artistry and daring."

As the story goes, "...one day...he heard a voice that made him put all else aside for a year of solid creative exploration..."

No credit is given for the liner notes, but there is a strong suspicion that Phil's writing skills as well were called into play, especially noting the resemblance with notes from another of his albums that are prominently featured at The Wilds Scene: Liner Notes of the Gods. Truly a man of many parts.

As to the music, if you're not lucky enough to have this album, I'll just have to leave it to your imagination.

By R.C. on Sunday, January 4, 1998 - 12:57 am:
    I went here & it was not there! WHAT! No soundfile of Leda Annest! Nelly, why do me like that?

By Nelly on Sunday, January 4, 1998 - 01:12 am:
    I never promised you a sound file. I should've linked to the section entitled "Every Record Label Hand an Answer to Yma Sumac," but there really isn't much there, just a mention. I thought the site might be interesting to anyone who "connected" to this album. It really is pretty obscure though.

Piqued your curiosity, huh?

By R.C. on Sunday, January 4, 1998 - 01:49 am:
    Oh, you torturous sprite you! I am forever in search of new (or old) Ear Candy. I remember my Mom's old Yma Sumac lp's. But Leda Annest is new to me. Alas/I shall have to wait for morning/when the record stores open again.
    Pleasant Dreams.

By Leda on Wednesday, February 11, 1998 - 06:44 am:
    Hi! This is leda . . . believe it or not! Nothing to do with swans -for the time being at least- but a lot to do with . . . well, all of you who care! And something more. The country is Greece, the modern Greece of course, but the Gods are still here.

ledas@.ac.anatolia.edu.gr

By
Jack on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 01:56 am:

Hey there

I got a phone call from Leda Annest's daughter a few months ago and Leda did REALLY exist.

BLEW ME AWAY, but still kinda asked her right away IF she had ANY copies of the LP she may want to sell OR have me put on CD for her in trade, MAYBE ?????????

Nay she said and I despised her for it because the reality is that NONE of these grandchildren or beyond of Ms Annest have and in all likelyhood will NEVER have a rekkid player to hear it.
    DAMNITALL!

So, I'm trying to get this company to reissue the LP. They already reissued Sabu's "SORCERY" on Columbia's Adventures in Sound series, so I jumped all over the Leda and just as amazing mind you, Phil Moore compositions and arrangements
    I'm a HUGE Phil Moore fan

SO ANYWAY, classic hollywood major record label scum of the earth story.
    Record company screwed with her big time and she
    basically said LATER DOODS, I AM OUTTA HERE
    Only record she made, MUCH TO ALL OF OUR LOSSES!
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!

Somebody stop me!

I think that's it. I'll hopefully have the LP and CD for sale and my site is about to experience a 3 month late fabulous entire makeover with ALL ther same stuff plus sooooooo much more :-) presented in a way that will absolutley rock your world

Please check it out at your leisure and THANKS for the article and the space :-)

It IS an awesomely strange LP, indeed and the original is insanely rare. Mid 1950's

Jack

http://www.jackdiamond.com

By J on Thursday, July 26, 2001 - 02:39 am:

I get warm fuzzies from crap like this.J

By Tina on Saturday, May 28, 2005 - 03:23 am:

I'm Leda's daughter and she had the most magnificent voice. She could sing anything. She was a dramatic soprano with a five octave range. She had a god given talent. She was extremely beautiful, talented, and smart. I have yet to meet another human being of her stature. I miss her dearly.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact