Ella

sorabji.com: What are you listening to?: Ella
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By R.C. on Sunday, January 4, 1998 - 10:45 pm:
    Ella Fitzgerald - The Best of The Song Books
    (compilation - Verve - 1993). Becuz Norman Ganz knew how to handle Talent. And becuz Gershwin/Porter/& Rogers & Hart are good cure for the Mean Reds. And becuz my neighbor's dog must like Ella -- he's FINALLY stopped barking!

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Tuesday, June 23, 1998 - 01:31 pm:
    Thanks for the idea R.C.! I'm listening to the Ella sings Cole Porter Songbook now. Ahhhh, heaven!

By Rhiannon on Monday, September 13, 1999 - 07:51 pm:

I worship this woman. That's all I can say.

By Waffles on Monday, September 13, 1999 - 07:56 pm:

give Etta James a go, she'll give yer boots a jangle and having you shouting tyhe gosple in no time.....also Billie........she has sexy, sultry nature to voice......

By Rhiannon on Monday, September 13, 1999 - 08:43 pm:

I already have. I like them both, too, but no one touches Ella.

By Droopy on Monday, September 13, 1999 - 09:35 pm:

you need ella live: the complete ella in berlin: mack the knife.

to me she does the only version of "summertime" that matters. the last two songs on the album are "mack the knife" - where she forgets the lyrics and extemporizes - and then "how high the moon" - with a scorching extended scat improv where she even quotes bird's "ornithology." buy it, live it, love it.

By Rhiannon on Monday, September 13, 1999 - 10:51 pm:

I've got:

*Ella Fitzgerald -- The Best of the Songbooks
    *Ella Fitzgerald -- Love Songs: the best of the Songbooks
    *Pure Ella (which starts with Mack the Knife, though not the version you're talking about)
    *The Intimate Ella Fitzgerald (this is my favorite -- just her and a piano)
    *Ella Swings Gently With Nelson (AWESOME "Body and Soul" on this one)
    *The Best of Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong

I agree with you on "Summertime." Mahalia Jackson also does a nice version, but it strays away from the original melody too much, at least the one version I've heard.

Do you know if Ella Fitzgerald ever sang "Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child"?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact