Mozart Piano Quartets

sorabji.com: What are you listening to?: Mozart Piano Quartets
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Jeffrey Scott Holland on Tuesday, January 6, 1998 - 08:56 pm:
    Just purchased today and just popped in the disc player : Mozart's Quartets for Piano, Violin, Viola, and Cello in E-flat major and in G minor. Emanuel Ax, Isaac Stern, Jaime Laredo, and Yo-Yo Ma.

So far I am underwhelmed, but I've only heard the first quartet, which was very dynamic in the Allegro but lost its fizz thereafter. I'm hoping the cello will be given ample opportunity to shine in the G minor.

By Jicotea on Tuesday, January 6, 1998 - 09:49 pm:
    J.S.H. Wrong performances! Big names, Stern & Ax are chamber music patzers. E-mail*
    me your fizzickle address and I will supply a cassette of K. 478 and 493 in playing which will not underwhelm unless you are really trying to be underwh'd. Jeez, I can't keep up with the misguided, maybe I'll hafta write a book. Provisional title ("Mein Kampf gegen Kammermusikpatzern und Kammermusikpatzerei).
    *get it from R.C. or from earliest posts here.

By Jeffrey Scott Holland on Tuesday, January 6, 1998 - 11:32 pm:
    Jicotea : well, I pretty much knew not to be TOO hopeful when I bought it - I wanted the Giuranna one but alas, they didn't have it at Joseph-Beth (which is the only place with any selection of classical music in the central Kentucky area).

Objects can be mailed to me in the real world at :

Jeffrey Scott Holland
    P.O.Box 75
    Renfro Valley, KY

If you have an idea of how I might reciprocate the favor, by all means ask.

By R.C. on Wednesday, January 7, 1998 - 12:34 am:

By R.C. on Wednesday, January 7, 1998 - 12:41 am:
    Jicotea:
    Ax I don't know from Adam/but pls. to explain how Stern, Laredo & my hearthrob Yo-Yo Ma PERFORMING TOGETHER could be anything short of brilliant! Maybe you're just too darn persnickety from all those long winters living in a barn. :) And what means "patzers"? (Izzat Yiddish, nu?)

By ILL KILL U on Friday, January 9, 1998 - 01:29 pm:
    OH SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU SICKLY DECREPID FESTERING
    GLUTENOUS MAGGOTS

By R.C. on Friday, January 9, 1998 - 03:39 pm:
    Yes, well, please learn to spell 'DECREPIT" before you do away with all of us. Such violence AND ignorance all in one package! You're going to make some trailer-park trollope very happy one day.

By Jicotea on Friday, January 9, 1998 - 05:09 pm:
    R.C.: You got one mean mouth on you when set upon. Remind me not to offend you! I'm surprised these assholes can find their way onto the BBS, when they are so obviously averse to thinking about anything.

The Big Names among instrumentalists are not always the best chamber music players, where the closest teamwork and sharing of ideas is essential. Isaac Stern always was a big beefy interpreter of the standard violin concertos; fine if its a big beefy concerto to begin with. These people don't play together regularly to get deeply into the music; those Mozart piano quartets need the tightest imaginable control.

J.S.H. You were headed in the right direction until availability came into it. Central Kentucky is pretty country (I read Wendell Berry) but I don't expect it to have the equivalent of Tower Records. But the Net does...
    Expect a mailing from me soon.

By R.C. on Friday, January 9, 1998 - 06:26 pm:
    Yeeahhh! Jicotea's back! :) Did you make piles & piles of $$? Good -- now you can come out & play!
    Re: my missive above -- Mother taught me that a lady never throws a punch. So I went to my Dad & asked him to teach me how to cuss. (It all started with some kid back in 3rd grade/kept sitting behind me & pulling my hair on the bus. I don't remember who he was/but I needed a way to make him stop. And cursing seemed to work for the bus driver.) Daddy told me I must learn how to cuss someone out without stooping to their level. Profanity is emphatic/but it lacks imagination. The trick is to dress down the jerk so badly he would have PREFERRED an ass-whipping/but use language even a school marm couldn't object to. It's a good trick to know. Daddy is also quite a fan of the word 'trollope'/which simply doesn't get used enough these days/in my opinion.

By Jicotea on Friday, January 9, 1998 - 08:02 pm:
    Yeah, patzer or potzer is yiddish for a down-the-line player working off a large handicap, one step up from an (also yiddish) kibitzer. My everyday yiddish vocabulary also includes gonif, tsuris, schlemiel, parnosseh, shiksa, meshugganer, and other resonant terms.

Now we're in for it. While the word "trollop" will be understood in context by anyone but the kind of arschloch (yiddish for you-know-what, rhymes with Koch) you just used it on. You have to lop off the final e to be correct.

Trollope refers most commonly to English novelist Anthony and his gutsy mama, Frances, who wrote a mid-19th C. book that put the U.S.A. in an uproar: (_Domestic Manners of the Americans_). We've stopped spitting on the floor as a general habit, but much of what she describes still applies.

Go ahead, flame me for that. I couldn't resist.

J.S.H.: I'm cooking on some Mozart which will surely float your boat. I'll fill up a 90" cassette this weekend and boot it out Monday.

By R.C. on Friday, January 9, 1998 - 10:40 pm:
    I am duly chagrined. :( A perfectly good cuss-out ruined by failure to drop an 'e'. Gotta start actually proof-reading this stuff before I hit Post.
    Perhaps he'll come back/& I'll get to try again...

By Tralfy on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 10:42 pm:

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact