ani difranco ani difranco ani difranco

sorabji.com: What are you listening to?: ani difranco ani difranco ani difranco
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Mere on Sunday, June 18, 2000 - 04:49 pm:

ahem, id like to add ani difranco to this little message board. i cant seem to get enough of her! shes incredable. just listen to one of her more than 20 cds and compelations. youll see. im an ani fan till i die :)

By Isolde on Sunday, June 18, 2000 - 06:05 pm:

Ani Difranco sucks. She's a whiny, obnoxious, self indulgent individual who is incapable of singing a note. Fuck Ani.

By Rhiannon on Sunday, June 18, 2000 - 08:17 pm:

Ah, Isolde...always the voice of reason.

Change of topic:

I love Matthew Sweet! I do! I do!

I found my old "Girlfriend," "Altered Beast," and "100% Fun" tapes and have been listening to them to and from work every day this past week. I so dig them.

Who couldn't possibly enjoy this stuff? It's the purest, sunniest pop, guaranteed to cheer even the most abject soul. And for those people, there's always "Someone to Pull the Trigger."

I found an MP3 for "Until You Break," off of "Blue Sky Over Mars," which I think I'll get tomorrow after work...anyway, what a beautiful song.

Hanging onto your pride
    Trying not to decide
    Who could take you
    Do you hold it inside
    Or let it fall by the way?

I'll feel the way you feel
    And tell you after
    But how long will it take?
    How long until you break?
    To talk you into space

Put an end to your day
    Turn your light out and say
    That first I'll get to know
    And love you after

Just how long will it take?
    To talk you into space

The melody / instrumentalization is so gentle and loving. I love that man. I hope he's happy.

(He's from the town my mother grew up in: Lincoln, Nebraska.)

By Isolde on Sunday, June 18, 2000 - 11:06 pm:

I feel so culturally inadequete for not having heard him. At least I know he's from Nebraska now.

By Gee on Sunday, June 18, 2000 - 11:50 pm:

I'm downloading "Copacabana" right now. It's such a fun little ditty.

By Jay on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 07:53 am:

I saw matthew sweet about three years ago in this strip bar turned music venue. it was about ten thousand degrees in the place, but he put on a good show, although he got a little pissy about the sound. i can't blame him, the place wasn't really configured for live music.
    It's back to being a strip bar now.

By patrick on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 12:19 pm:

Matthew Sweet? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

i second Isoldes assesment of that DiFranco chic.....

By semillama on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 06:44 pm:

Don't dis Ani DiFranco - she's done more in her short life than everyone on this board put together, and she always plays her heart out.

I admit, I felt much the same way about her the first few times I heard her. My roommate would constantly play her stuff, and i was always like "God! Her voice is driving me up the wall!"

But then i noticed her guitar playing, and thought "wait a minute -she can really play."

Then I saw her in concert in a small ballroom in the UP and damn-what a show! And man can she REALLY play! Now I even like her voice.

She does put out way too many albums though. She should slow down and really work on releasing a really excellent album every couple of years, instead of releasing 2 so-so albums 9with a few really great tunes) a year.

By Sems ex-roommate on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 07:46 pm:

i agree, she does need to cull her work a little and not record every damn song she ever writes....i actually stopped buying her twice and thrice-yearly albums.....

on another note--i think she does and has done a lot for the self-esteem of young women, and maybe that is why her work doesn't always speak to the ears of everyone....maybe it is more about the message and less about harmonics, intonation, melody, etc.

By Isolde on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 10:02 pm:

*dis* *dis* *dis* *dis* *dis* *dis* *dis* *dis* *dis* *dis* *dis* *dis* *dis* *dis* *dis* *dis* *dis* *dis* *dis* *dis* *dis* *dis* *dis* *dis* *dis* *dis* *dis* *dis* *dis* *dis*
    This aside, this is why I do not like ani DiFranco:
    Far from raising self esteem, all her songs seem to be about how much she resents/wants to get even with some man. Either that or she wants him to come back, but first she wants to play mean and hard to get.
    Her voice annoys the fuck out of me. I don't like the little breathy thing she does, I don't like the pitch and timbre of her voice, I don't like that she's miked everywhere she goes.
    I hate Santana, too, did I mention that? I don't realy like the guitar as an instrument, and I _really_ don't like her utilization of it.
    I don't like that everyone who likes her pushes her on me. I don't care if someone likes Ani, but I don't want to hear about it.
    Her music does not appeal to me personally, and neither does any form of pseudo-pop, which is how I, personally, choose to classify her.
    This said, I _respect_ her. I can respect her for choosing to do a lot on her own, and that's the only good thing I have to say about her.
    I also resent to comment that she's done more with herself then the people on these boards, because I find the artistic accomplishments of someone like Patrick far more appealing to me, personally, and can arguably claim that he has done more than she has.
    All this aside, did I mention the most beautiful sunset in the world is about to take place outside my window?

By Gee on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 11:34 pm:

have you guys ever seen "Making the Band"? that show is so fascinating to me. It's about all these little people compeating to be members of a boy band.

what's interesting is the way they always talk about this being their dream or their career. If it's really their dream/career to be in music, why are they trying to get into a boy band? How long do those things last? Three years at the most. it seems kind of sad to know that your dream will be over in three years. what do you do then?

By Isolde on Monday, June 19, 2000 - 11:49 pm:

Good question. Is the movie any good? Should I rent it? I feel so sorry for the members of boy bands. And girl wonders. I guess it's mostly boys who group up, but there were the Spice Girls....

By Dougie on Tuesday, June 20, 2000 - 08:30 am:

I do like the guitar, and I have no opinion either way of Santana, but what's the big fucking deal with him now? He's been around forEver, and now that he's got a catchy yet annoying tune in the charts, he gets deified, as if he was in a coma for 30 years and finally is out of it and returns to playing with a hero's welcome. WTF? Guess it's just media frenzy. His new album will be in the bargain bin this time next year, and people will once again say, "Carlos who?"

By patrick on Tuesday, June 20, 2000 - 12:15 pm:

i really haven't accomplished anything....really.

By Dougie on Tuesday, June 20, 2000 - 01:10 pm:

None of us has. Semillama tells us so.

By J on Tuesday, June 20, 2000 - 01:56 pm:

By Kalliope on Tuesday, June 20, 2000 - 06:38 pm:

I used to be a big Ani fan when I was in high school. Course, that's when the only people who knew of her were the little perky dykes (I had a interesting adolesence) and the boys who weren't afraid to admit they liked cock as much as the rest of us.

I still listen to her on occasion, but after Not A Pretty Girl came out, she pretty much sold-out and started appealing to all the little whiney bitch cheerleaders who suddenly thought it was cool to dye their hair with manic panic and shop in thrift stores. So now, most of the people who rant and rave about her, pretty much piss me off.

Course, most people piss me off anyway, so whatever. Ani's old stuff is good though. I'll give it that. Her new stuff, after Little Plastic Castles, is too rockygrungywhiney for my likes tho. Sides, she married her basist. Kinda defeats the purpose of yelling "I'm gay! I'm gay! I'm gay!" doesn't it?

As for Matthew Sweet, you can't dis the guy. I just bought 100% fun again the other day on my desperate attempt to pretend I'm 16 again and have no responsibilities. I also bought Queen, Material Issue, and The Samples.

I'm not proud.

I saw him (MS) at the Boathouse in Norfolk a few years ago. He put on a good show, but he's generally a cranky little shit as far as personality goes.

By semillama on Tuesday, June 20, 2000 - 08:25 pm:

I thikn it's hysterical how the lesbian community reacted in general to DiFranco's relationship with a man and the fact that she appeals to people who either don't have a vagina or have a vagina, but like the penis. It's really funny how betrtayed they seemed, although it was alright for her to be bisexual as long as she was dating women.
    It's like once she deviated from their hallowed image of her as their appointed representative/lust-goddess/role model, then they started to scream "Sell out!" (please note my use of "they" strictly refers to the obsessive militant lesbian DiFranco junkie-type only).
    it really looked like a case of the group being valued more than the indivifual once again.

By Kalliope on Wednesday, June 21, 2000 - 08:48 am:

To an extent I agree with you...but seriously now. I think the reason everyone "felt betrayed" when Ani married was pretty easy to see. A lot of young gay girls and guys did use her as a role model. Being a teenager is hard enough. Being a teen and gay is a fuck lot harder. Ani was a role model for encouraging these chicks to admit they dig pussy instead of cock.

For Ani to get married, after being such a strong influenece in saying "it's ok to be queer", it was a betrayal to these people. It's like saying "It's ok to be gay, but when it comes down to it, you better do what's normal."

Am I making any sense?

And the fact remains, her new albums blow compared to her old ones. That's really all I was trying to get at.

By patrick on Wednesday, June 21, 2000 - 10:56 am:

so kalli, when you come to ...uh...Cali.....to show me your tits, will you say "dig pussy" over and over....

damn!

By K on Wednesday, June 21, 2000 - 12:19 pm:

i knew you'd pick up on that.

By Notwolf on Thursday, October 19, 2000 - 05:07 pm:

...now i don't feel so bad about the 'vulva' remark...

By Karla on Tuesday, August 2, 2005 - 12:54 pm:

We're in a room without a door
    And I am sure without a doubt
    They're gonna wanna know how we got in here
    They're gonna wanna know how we plan to get out
    We better have a good explanation
    for all the fun that we had
    Cuz they are coming for us, baby
    And they're going to be mad.
    Ani rocks.

By Anon on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 01:43 pm:

I don't think Ani Di franco or whatever her name is a true artist. her music is not quality. she has little musicality and alot of it sounds like mindless drivel and noise.

By lapis on Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 06:01 pm:

two cents in an old thread.

i used to have several ani difranco albums, but now i'm down to one cdep called "swingset". some of the images that her lyrics bring up are nice but i don't like her musical style and general instrumentation.

she did record a very nice cover of "hurricane" which i love.

i'd rather listen to casio than whatever-folk.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact