odd questions that have nothing to do with anything but i feel like asking anyway

sorabji.com: What are you listening to?: odd questions that have nothing to do with anything but i feel like asking anyway
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Z on Monday, October 23, 2000 - 02:04 am:

The other day, at school, i forgot my portable cd player (because im one of those cool kids that listens to his music at school or something) and i had brought a quantity of music with me.

including my emperor cd.

and waiting for the bus to take me home, my usual group of friends/acquaintances and i had gathered about in our morass of idiocy...
    and i pulled it out. and andrew, (he's kinda tall, black, a wrestler, likes lots of rap and some alternahardrock etc...)
    had his cd player.

and he asked if he could listen
    he did
    he TOTALLY LOVED IT

how on earth?

are black people that are into hip hop/rap/korn/limp bizkit/etc supposed to like sophisticated music like the wonderful Black Metal of northern europe (emperor is from norway)
    ?

he borrowed it, and burned himself a copy. he said that its like one of the best cds hes ever heard... wow

i was suprised.

and i respect him quite a bit more for it.

any other tales of people liking music that they stereotypically shun?

By J on Monday, October 23, 2000 - 04:30 am:

I don't usually care for country music,but those Dixie Chicks sang some song about a wife-beater named Earll that I thought was pretty entertaining.

By semillama on Monday, October 23, 2000 - 02:15 pm:

If you are going to talk stereotypes, then your buddy already broke 'em by listening to korn. Actually, I am never surprised by that. People like what they identify with, huh? There are lots of black people who play in metal/aggressicve guitar rock bands (prime examples: Living Colour, Bad Brains, Suicidal Tendencies, Sevendust,Dead Kennedys, Sepultura, and so on) so it's not stretch to meet those that listen to it.

By Notwolf on Tuesday, October 24, 2000 - 04:27 am:

well, lemme tell yeh. i'm almost 6' tall and weigh in at 300 lbs. my hair is so short i'm practically bald, tho i do wear a beard (NOT goatee). my septum is pierced and i dress predominantly in black. i'm tattoo'd and alla that shit that goes with being in yer late 20's in the late 90's (tho i _know_ some smartarse is gonna pick that one apart..). point?
    i love country music.
    not 'hat country' like Shania, but Merle Haggard. George Jones and the Outlaws. I'm rarely without Sun Volt or Hank (or Hank 3, even).
    mebbe cos i grew up in Texas, listenin to Willie Nelson, Emmylou and like that. New music to me was the discovery of the Kingston Trio when i was 8.
    i lissen to all kinda stuff, and i revere the Afghan Whigs and Placebo... but it all comes back around to 6 strings and tepid beer...

By droopy on Tuesday, October 24, 2000 - 12:18 pm:

when i was in high school, i knew a black guy named peanut who loved led zeppelin. almost always wore a zeppelin t-shirt. this was in texas.

my favorite country song:

gloom,
    despair,
    and agony on me.

deep, dark
    depression...
    excessive
    misery.

if it warn't fer
    bad luck,
    I'd have
    no luck at all.

gloom,
    despair,
    and agony on me.

By Notwolf on Tuesday, October 24, 2000 - 10:15 pm:

i like that one by the same bunch that goes
    "git yer tongue outta my mouth cos i'm kissin' you goodbye"

heh.
    actually, as of 01 Nov, i'll be a "County Music" (actually more Americana/Folk: Son Volt, Wilco, Steve Earle, Utah Phillips, John Prine, Ani DiFranco..) Internet Jockey.

www.audioether.com the show's called "Mansfield Road" plugplug.

By Tired on Tuesday, October 24, 2000 - 11:44 pm:

jesus, droopy.

portishead could do that. well, Beth Gibbons prolly wouldn't sing "warn't fer." I'd like it if she did, tho.

By Z on Friday, October 27, 2000 - 06:55 pm:

portishead. hmm.

well...i know black people that like metal, but this is different.

go out and but something like satyricon, dimmu borgir, in flames, emperor, old mans child, cradle of filth (although they are fast going cliche goth/evil crap...ugh), incantation, krisiun...well...i could go on for weeks. but I won't. actaully, krisiun is death metal from brazil...so maybe they dont count...but thats besides the point.

this is "dorky satan worhsipper white boy" music (i only match the dorky and white boy parts there...)

oh well.

i'm just going on shit that i'm against

people can and should like any and all the music they can.

right.

By Notwolf on Saturday, October 28, 2000 - 02:50 am:

the 'Darkman" soundtrack (danny Elfman)

.. cos the group in the store is playin Ravenloft tonight and the DM always has music on.

thas right, D&D. what about it?

By pez on Sunday, October 29, 2000 - 01:34 am:

some of my very favs include debussy and beastie boys. not the usual names you hear together.

By moonit on Sunday, October 29, 2000 - 08:34 pm:

my mum loves danny elfman.

By Nate on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 12:22 am:

black people are scary and i hope they never come to my neighborhood.

you all are freaks.

By heather on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 02:25 am:

that 'bout says it all

By agatha on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 11:59 am:

(?)

nate loves reactions.

By Z on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 01:09 pm:

damn.

dnd rules.
    heh.

although i havent plyaed a full game once.
    right.

yes. we are freaks. got a problem with that?

good.

i got a cd of a group that plays techno on string nsturments and a flute. its nifty

By grandpa dolemite on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 02:56 pm:

freaks?

general consensus seems to firmly place you people in the "bunch of dorks" camp.

but hey, whatever.

they say that self designation is the first step to empowerment.

By Isolde on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 02:56 pm:

By TBone on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 05:36 pm:

How, exactly, does one play techno with sting and wind instruments? Sounds interesting.

I was a D&D freak for a good while... I had the most fun being the DM. I came up with some crackheaded stuff.

By Isolde on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 06:51 pm:

Maybe we shouldn't ask? I, too, played D&D for some time...

By TBone on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 07:30 pm:

Wow. I just did a search on raging.com and found bentobinco.com. That's oddly disturbing. Also, apparently there is a guy out there who goes by Ben Tobin who has been ripping people off left and right with Multi-level-Marketing schemes and other scams.

By Purple on Monday, October 30, 2000 - 11:59 pm:

you've got to watch out for those Ben Tobin's out there...

By pez on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 01:23 am:

i can make guitar sounds and shriek on my flute. overtones rock, man!

what group is it? how can i get a copy?

i bought "dookie" by green day, "kid a" by radiohead, and that new orgy cd yesterday. and the new u2 album's out tomorrow!

By Isolde on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 01:43 am:

What think you of Kid A?

By semillama on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 10:09 am:

That D&D movie looks cheesy as all hell. Matinee material for me.

I still haven't bothreed to check out radiohead too much yet. I have the bends, and that's it. Didn't impress me that much.

By Isolde on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 10:27 am:

The Bends isn't great.
    The D&D movie does look terrible, doesn't it! It shall be great. I'm sure my little D&D friends will drag me too it, I'm not afraid. They can pay for my tickets. I think I need to revel in the badness, you know?

By Nate on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 10:44 am:

fuckshit.

41/.

horses.

By Isolde on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 10:59 am:

yes, nate?

By Kalliope on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 12:16 pm:

no, just 40..

and they aren't horses..
    they're billy goats.

By semillama on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 12:30 pm:

The Chinese Government is using armies of ducks to control a particularily large swarm of locusts.

By Isolde on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 12:56 pm:

Are they going the speed of light?

By Nate on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 02:30 pm:

i am beyond. time-cube has you.

By pez on Tuesday, October 31, 2000 - 04:06 pm:

go ducks!

i love the optimistic track. c'est tres cool. perfect mediator between the happy-go-lucky green day and moody orgy.

"i love the world!!!!" says the person who'll be marge simpson in two hours.

By semillama on Wednesday, November 1, 2000 - 12:47 pm:

Ducks and Simpson ignorant of 4-corner lifef stage.

Do you like being a liar?

Time Cube brooks no guff from wuss-bands.

By Z on Thursday, November 2, 2000 - 12:05 am:

quack.

quack.

if you would like to hear a duck quack, press 7.

yes

hehe

i've known about the dnd movie for a bit.

http://www.dndmovie.com

that and the supposed rob zombie movie are 2 films i am looking forward to...

a danzig movie, anyone?

The group is instrumental (or something....i cant telll for sure just yet) its really fun stuff

some examples include "Little Fluffy Clouds" by the orb and "Consume" by Plastikman (very nice music....i only have that one cd...anyone heard any of his other stuff?)

nate, you crack me up.

what's your new email?

i did some kinda promo for kid a.

i only have ok computer

the new fatboy slim cd sucks. ass.

heh.

dont buy it when it comes out in a coupla weeks.

z has it, and doesn't like it much.

By pez on Thursday, November 2, 2000 - 01:23 am:

the old fatboy slim cd kicks ass.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact