Elvis, How Great Thou Art

sorabji.com: What are you listening to?: Elvis, How Great Thou Art
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Nelly on Wednesday, May 9, 2001 - 02:25 am:

I've had this tape in my car for 3 days now. I think it's finally breaking down my resistance to Elvis.

I used to tell this story, of working in the record library at the MOR radio station (they used to have such things) and taking requests. This little old lady would keep calling, asking us to play Elvis' "How Great Thou Art" at precisely 6 a.m. every morning so it would be the first thing she heard when her clock radio went off. I had to gently explain to her that we couldn't do it, that the news came on then and we had a contractual relationship to air it at 6 a.m....

Now I understand...

By Nate on Wednesday, May 9, 2001 - 03:29 am:

why didn't you suggest she get up 10 minutes earlier?

By Nelly on Wednesday, May 9, 2001 - 05:11 pm:

do i have to explain such things?

By cyst on Wednesday, May 9, 2001 - 05:43 pm:

tonight I'm going to listen to some old elvis records.

"When Sun Records combined the backwoods sounds of rural country-and-western music with black R&B and channeled them through a teenager named Elvis Presley, a cultural revolution was born. Kevin Cole, radio and club DJ veteran, currently heard Sundays noon to 3:00 p.m. on KEXP 90.3 FM, will dig into his arsenal of over 70,000 records to celebrate the sounds, style, and spirit of Sun Records."

By crimson on Wednesday, May 9, 2001 - 06:09 pm:

during my first marriage, i had an in-law who kept an elvis shrine in her trailer. sounds like a joke, but she was deadly serious about it. the shrine came complete w/ some of those black velvet paintings of elvis. there were candles burning around the shrine. she had elvis pix & little angel statuettes all over the place. she knelt & prayed in front of the elvis shrine a lot. she thought elvis had special favor w/ god & she'd pray to him. she often asked elvis to help her w/ her spleen problems.

this lady had some daughters. at least two of them were named for elvis (one's middle name was elvisina; the other's middle name was elvisette).

By cyst on Wednesday, May 9, 2001 - 06:19 pm:

my most conventionally trashy friend once lived in a very small bungalow with her bastard child, her father, his wife, her brother, his girlfriend, their bastard child, two macaws, and a rottweiler.

By droopy on Wednesday, May 9, 2001 - 06:39 pm:

i've got a trashy relative story that involves an elvis fetish and codeine, but i'm not going to tell it.

i actually like old sun records elvis - "that's all right, mama" and "mystery train" and all that.

have you seen that movie "mystery train" by jim jarmusch(sp?). probably.

i nearly killed my cat just now because she likes to crawl under my wheelchair and fall asleep and if i don't check under my chair before i move i'm in danger of running her over.

howlin' wolf, little walter, and ike turner (that i can think of) all got their start at sun records. let us know if they play any black artists at that sun shindig, cyst.

By patrick on Wednesday, May 9, 2001 - 07:24 pm:

one of my favorite atlanta bands recorded in sun studios in memphis...the forty fives see

is this the same "Sun"? they spoek of it on their website as if it was truly an honor to record there.

By Czarina on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 09:02 am:

I've always prided myself on BEING the trashy relative.

By Pug on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 11:11 am:

I think I've become the PERENNIAL trashy relative in my family---everyone wants to shut me up and when the relatives show up my Mom desperately tries to tie my dreads into some kind of pseudo-ponytail..."so you won't be embarassed," she says....but what the fuck can I say?

By cyst on Thursday, May 10, 2001 - 01:16 pm:

all I remember is that he played some early elvis and some louis prima.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact