MiNGUS!

sorabji.com: What are you listening to?: MiNGUS!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Cybin on Saturday, January 24, 1998 - 03:25 am:
    If nobody's ever heard Charles Mingus, I recommend any of his recordings... If i remember correctly, Blue Note just put out a complete set of his works. His stand-up bass playing is incredible... I'm working on an interpretation of Goodbye Pork Pie Hat right now for my 'cello --- :) any mingus fans out there?

By KED on Saturday, January 24, 1998 - 06:11 am:
    I think that you're on your own out there mate.

By R.C. on Saturday, January 24, 1998 - 01:32 pm:
    I'm a Mingus fan/& an ex-cellist. My Dad turned me onto Mingus. I've been eyeing that boxed set/but alas/'tis too pricey for my present budget. He wasn't just a great bassist/but also an great composer. If you haven't already/check out the tribute/collaboration album Joni Mitchell did for/with him -- Mingus ('79 - Asylum). And I once had a copy of his autobio/'Beneath the Underdog"/but someone lifted it from my apt. before I cd finish reading it (bastard!). Everyone I know thinks Mingus was a god/yet almost no one still has any of his recordings -- except the one's they inherited from their parents.

And I dug your poem on the 'Do You Love Me' BBS.

By Strange on Thursday, July 30, 1998 - 04:06 pm:
    I am a bassist and love Mingus. Unfortunatley I've only god a few of his tunes scattered across varios tapes of mine. Is there any 'best of' CD or such that is recommended for an aspiring jazz bassist without a job? (I have cash but not much, so I need to find out what the definitive Mingus album is before purchasing)

By Blindswine on Thursday, July 30, 1998 - 05:34 pm:
    mingus

i don't know about a "definitive" mingus album...

i personally like "Mingus at Monterey", "Live in Stockholm 1964" and "The Legendary Paris Concerts".

it's all pretty much a safe bet... you can't go wrong.

By Starchy on Thursday, July 30, 1998 - 10:38 pm:
    Mingus and Pastorius make my ears and my fingers drool.

I wish I didn't have this damn blister.

By Blindswine on Friday, July 31, 1998 - 03:05 pm:

Jaco Pastorius was, without question, one of the phattest electric bassists out there. it's tragic the way he self-destructed like that.

i always thought the bouncer who beat him to death should be tried for crimes against humanity...
    but i guess when you lose control like jaco did, you can't really blame anybody for the consequences.

anyway, thanks for reminding me... all the jaco cd's i used to own got lifted from me a few years ago, so i haven't listened to any of his stuff in ages...

i think i'll take a long lunch and go out and pick some up.

By Starchy on Friday, July 31, 1998 - 04:02 pm:
    Have you ever heard the album he did with Ian Hunter? I've been looking for this for a few months now... I have a transcription of his solo from one of the songs on it (All American Alien Boy), and I really want to hear the original..

Especially since I've gotten the first four bars down, but just can't quite figure it out from there.

By Blindswine on Friday, July 31, 1998 - 05:24 pm:

By Starchy on Saturday, August 1, 1998 - 01:52 pm:
    Wow. Thank you muchly.

Now I just to need to steal a credit card.

...still in the dark ages...

By Blindswine on Saturday, August 1, 1998 - 05:03 pm:
    troubles...

but you could always just take the catalog information to a record store and have them order it for you if they don't have it in stock... most places are happy to do that for you.
    if that doesn't work, revert to plan A.

By Starchyu on Monday, August 3, 1998 - 09:36 am:
    Maybe I'll just whine until one of my roommates does it for me. Hmm...

Shit, no, they're all broke. So much for that idea.

By Harazedcheeze on Tuesday, January 7, 2003 - 08:58 pm:

Mingus was one of the best composers of all time. If you haven't heard any of his works listen to Goodbye Pork Pie Hat, Fables of Faubus, Hacian Fight song, or Nostalgia in Time Square. Mingus Ah Um is a great album and is worth buying.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact