Holiday scores

sorabji.com: What are you listening to?: Holiday scores
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Friday, January 4, 2002 - 05:40 pm:

ok, so i scored some music over the holidays.

my pals in Athens burned me a shitload of discs and I used some xmas money to pick up some things along the way.

here's what i got:

(i realize that lack of excitement in all of this, but the theraputic value of blabbing during such a painful hangover is too great to ignore)

a burned copy of Velvet Underground Bootlegs Box Set. This newly released 3cd set of reel to reel recordings from live shows...which is where the Velvets were their best. 3 versions of Sister Ray OH MY!!!!

a burned copy of Can's bootleg CD- Horrortrip in the Paper House

a burned copy of Vue, a San Fran band thats new to me. Kinda of a mix between Tortoise and Make Up

a burned copy of Hovercraft, semi new to me, kinda cool mathrock.

a burned copy of recently released Lou Reed's American Poet. Holy shit this rocks almost more than the booleg series. Its right after he recorded Transformer and he has the best backing band ive ever heard.

a burned compliation of Johnnie Thunders' tunes

a burned copy of Spiritualized's new album. Havent listened to this too much yet.

Dinosaur Jr. -Where Have You Been

Bob Marley -Kaya

Subhumans-Worlds Apart. I used to have this on vinyl and im thinking i made a trade many years ago with another collector...man it was good to have this back...this is some good shit yo.

Buzzcocks- should have checked the production date, this pretty much sucks. Though i was reading some thought this was the best album they've made since 79. Shit.

Pussy Galore-Live:In The Red dude! enough said.

Hendrix-Radio One sessions. Holy poop on a stick is this some good stuff.

finally

Ornette Coleman-Shape of Jazz to Come this rocks!

did you get any music for the holidays???

By The Watcher on Friday, January 4, 2002 - 05:55 pm:

Crabs for Christmas The twentieth aniversary album.

It's fun to here local talent lampoon local traditions.

See http://www.daviddeboy.com

By Dougie on Friday, January 4, 2002 - 06:03 pm:

I got Mahler 10 with Ricardo Chailly and RSO Berlin (the bootleg copy -- very rare). Does that count?

By patrick on Friday, January 4, 2002 - 06:06 pm:

well im sure it would if i had a god damn inkling as to what that is.

By Dougie on Friday, January 4, 2002 - 06:14 pm:

Ever see Death in Venice? Same composer, different tunes, different conductor.

Ditto on yours.

By dave. on Friday, January 4, 2002 - 08:21 pm:

is hovercraft any good? that's eddie vedder's wife's band. i figgered that was why they were popular.

By dave. on Friday, January 4, 2002 - 08:26 pm:

i got kyuss' "and the circus leaves town" on colored vinyl. thanks, agatha.

i also got my car window busted out and my cd player and cds stolen early xmas morning in shithole seattle. damn you, santa.

By cyst on Saturday, January 5, 2002 - 09:37 pm:

hovercraft is one of those bands that show movies while they play. they're ok. I don't think she's married to eddie vedder anymore.

christmas was the usual dull affair, and new year's was sucky. I hosted some sexually ambiguous, leather-wearing friends from portland, who wanted nothing to do with the pleasant and sedate mini-parties to which I'd been invited, but there wasn't much else to do (that didn't cost at least $40), so I was unable to show them as good a time as they had hoped for. their two grams of coke helped, but not enough. I ended new year's eve holding someone's sleeping cat on my lap, listening to my boyfriend play that someone's digeridoo, while my friends all did lines in the kitchen.

my boyfriend is in san diego, so I finally tried yoga for the first time today. I couldn't even get half way through the routine. not from lack of flexibility but patience. I made time for it first thing in the morning, but you're not supposed to eat first. there was no way I was going to do anything without some coffee. so I had a couple of americanos, then started in with the stretching and stuff. you're supposed to hold each pose for 10 breaths or whatever, but even cutting down to five quick breaths, I just couldn't relax enough to get into it.

so I smoked some pot. and it helped a little, so I smoked some more. and I could understand how someone could enjoy doing this, but I got even hungrier than I already was, and all I could think about was getting through all these asanas so I could make breakfast, hell, it was getting to be lunchtime. not even halfway through, and I'd spent an hour on the floor. fuck it. maybe I'll try doing it at night sometime. jittery, stoned yoga probably isn't that beneficial.

I love that he's gone and I miss him so much. I enjoy having this big, nice place to myself for a few days. and I've liked not talking all day long. I hope someday we can get a nice house that's big enough so sometimes I can feel like I can be alone even while we're together.

(by the way, I recently saw the last guy I had a thing with, who acted kind of assholish at the end, and now he's really, really fat! ha ha!)

By patrick on Monday, January 7, 2002 - 12:06 pm:

hovercraft is ok dave. its nothing terribly special. just quirky, instrumental, stop and go, change chord/direction instantly, 8 minute songs that really just show off their coordination and memorization skillz.

its nice background music.

for some reason cyst, through no fault of your own, your posts always seem to either make me feel really good, or really bad about myself. that one kinda made me feel bad. maybe it was the blow reference. we attempted to get some for new years, but never hooked up with our pal who was holding the 8 ball.

hmmm

im sure its me, and nothing more

By Hal on Monday, January 7, 2002 - 02:06 pm:

Pot I have no problem with...

In my personal opinion (and hey its just me) people who do blow are fucked up...
    That and Crystal, I grew up in Billings, MT crank and meth capital of the world, so its not something that pleases me when I find out a friend is doing it, I place coke right up there in that catagory.

By patrick on Monday, January 7, 2002 - 02:16 pm:

Coke is an opiate.

Meth is a skank drug made from trucker speed and Draino. Its a nasty trailer park drug.

They are two distinct drugs. Not that the highbrow version is any better than its lowbrow version in terms of addiction....well, wait, yes, yes it is...for me anyway.

Ive done coke, meth, and even crack. Ive tried them all. Crack is wayyyyyyyyy more addictive than blow and meth. After takin a hit of crack i was reaching in my pocket for another $20. Bad bad bad bad bad.

Actually Fresno is supposedly the crank capitol of the world because of the huge biker population there.

Coke is expensive, which is for the better.

By Hal on Monday, January 7, 2002 - 02:57 pm:

I should probably clarify.

Billings, MT is the Crank/Meth Capital of the world in amount of Meth/per capita.

Its produced in mass ammounts there, and then moved out to other places.

By The Watcher on Monday, January 7, 2002 - 05:38 pm:

I've stayed away from that stuff all my life.

I have absolutley no desire for any illegal substance.

Once you've seen someone have a bad experiance with that stuff you stay clear of it. There isn't enough money in the world where I would even consider ever putting myself in that position.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact