New sound program mapping

sorabji.com: What are you listening to?: New sound program mapping
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Christopher on Monday, March 18, 2002 - 06:25 pm:

Hey there folks, I thought I'd give you an update on my partners 1st month with sound. Things started off a little rocky. He'd get tired of me asking "can you hear this?", while rattling or banging on something. His first sound map was very basic, and everything sounded like hammering. This resolved itself over ten days, while he became accustomed to general sounds. He could hear things but couldn't understand what he heard at all. The 2nd sound map was switched on 12 days ago, and things sounded better in some circumstances (quiet environments, one person talking at a time..), but worse under others (noisy restaurants, TV..). This past Saturday, he switched over to the third map, and noticed almost immediately that he was able to hear A LOT more than previosuly. It takes the brain a couple of days to adjust, but by Sunday morning he was hearing things that he hadn't previously. I looked out the window, and saw him standing in our backyard, so I went out to see what was happening. A Mockingbird was sitting in our tree, and was belting out the best hits of bird-dom. He asked me what that was, and I pointed to the bird. He was amazed that it was so loud. He really enjoyed it. That afternoon, we were driving near San Jose, and stopped for some coffee near a pet shop. We went in, and the place was filled with birds. We walked around all the different cages, and listened to all of them. He couldn't believe their variety of song. I couldn't believe that he was picking up this much information, and was able to discern its variety. The previous maps tended to "blur together" if too much noise was occuring at one. This time, everything seemed to maintain its own distinct thread. We got home, had some dinner and watched a little TV. Len asked me what the sound was between when one person spoke, and the other replied. I didn't understand what he meant at first, and realized that he was talking about the laugh track. When you explain what a laugh track is to someone, you realize just how stupid a concept it is. We shut off the toob, and went to the Irsish pub on our corner. The police had cordoned off an area to handle the spill-over from the bar, so needless to say it was pretty raucous. We got inside, and ordered some beer, just in time for a couple of guys with bagpipes to set up right next to us. I mentioned to one of them that my friend had never heard bagpipes before, and they were only too happy to oblige. I couldn't believe it, but Len was able to distinguish the notes, and asked me what the constant low tone was. He was hearing the drone from the bagpipes, even though the place was so loud with people. It was an amazing day, and by far the best day that he's had since activation. We return to the audiologist next Monday, and are looking forward to receiving the next set of maps. Cool stuff. By the way, he still prefers early 80's music over everything, and really enjoys Kraftwerk with the new map. I put together a good mix for him to listen to in his car...

By Antigone on Monday, March 18, 2002 - 06:35 pm:

He likes early 80's?

Get him the soundtrack to the Blues Brothers. :P

By wisper on Monday, March 18, 2002 - 07:17 pm:

[insert Kraftwerk joke here]

By semillama on Monday, March 18, 2002 - 08:24 pm:

Madness!
    The Damned!
    and others what appeared on The Young
    Ones.

By moonit on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 12:34 am:

I want to say Pet Shop Boys, but that would be wrong.

By heather on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 02:52 am:

i have to insist that you put down the fabric softener

By patrick on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 11:08 am:

yes moonit that would be very wrong.

By patrick on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 11:09 am:

think about it....kraftwerk...the bleeps the boops boops and whoops whoops whireeee whireeeee etc.

By Spider on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 12:00 pm:

How about some Depeche Mode? Come on...

By patrick on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 12:37 pm:

shit....and after that you'd like some Yaz and DramaRama????

im think some of those tools and devices mentioned on Christopher's other thread could be handy.

By Christopher on Tuesday, March 19, 2002 - 01:23 pm:

Actually, I hadn't tried Depeche Mode...Their first US Album (speak & Spell?) has some pretty poppy, rythym heavy stuff on it. I remember listening to this stuff back around 80 or 81. I pretty much had turned my nose up at the American music scene around '79, and was into just about anything British. It must have been amazing to be in the music scene over there during 79-85, because so much really good stuff came out. Stiff Records didn't put out one bad artist during this time. One of my best friends, Rebecca Katchetag (who was a REAL eskimo) was thrown out of school in '81 for wearing a t-shirt that said "If it ain't STIFF, it ain't worth a fuck".

Tacky, funny, scary...The 80's was the best time to be a teenager. I saw Kraftwerk at Max's Kansas City, just weeks before it closed for good. I saw Klaus Nomi, wearing a plastic bell shaped dress, and oompa-loompa hair, sing opera. I met david Bowie while he was performing in "The Elephant Man" on Broadway (My father set the meeting up!). I saw Talking Heads play venues like CBGB's, even after they had made it big-time. I saw Blondie and Queen play a double -bill FREE concert at Roosevelt Raceway on Long Island. I saw Patty Smith roll around on the stage, doing obscene things to a clarinet, while I was surrounded by teenage girls wearing green garbage bags. I saw great clubs, like The Peppermint Lounge, Mud Club, and The Underground, rise and fall. I wore vinyl shirts and had a mohawk haircut. I had dog collars, and skinny ties, two tone boots, and pants that zipped up the sides.

God...I really miss the 80's.

By J on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 11:44 am:

Aside from the fact that I'm 20 years older,I miss the 80's too.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact