Halloween Music

sorabji.com: What are you listening to?: Halloween Music
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Gee on Tuesday, October 15, 2002 - 11:59 pm:

what are some good songs for Halloween?

Suggestions, please.

By Nigel Mason on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 12:26 am:

Scary Organ Music!

As a kid, I always found Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor kind of creepy.

By semillama on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 11:37 am:

Danny Elfman movie soundtracks.

Tom Waits - The Black Rider

Bauhaus albums

By J on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 11:46 am:

The monster mash,it's a graveyard bash.

By Spider on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 12:02 pm:

Ministry's "Every Day is Halloween."

Lycia

This Mortal Coil

Black Tape for a Blue Girl

Front 242's "Flag"

By patrick on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 12:12 pm:

goth chick we knew you'd come in strong for us in this one.

hee hee!

By Spider on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 12:31 pm:

It was my pleasure. Let me correct you, though -- the three bands I mentioned are labelled "Gothic," not Goth.

I was seriously disillusioned with all things Gothic in high school. I discovered the Projekt record label and got excited by their catalog. Here's a sample, a description of Lycia's sound:

"Isolation. Loneliness. Neglect. Distance. Such is the emotion of Lycia. ... Taking the name of a city in ancient Greece, Lycia evokes the imagery of a long-lost mythological landscape. ... Whether it's the vast emptiness of the desert or the bleakness of a winter scene, Lycia's dark, soothing sound evokes sadness and release."

I mean, come on! That's got to be cool, right? I had to have me some of that.

Talk about bait-and-switch. Lycia (at least what I've heard) is fairly boring. You get some whispery atmospherics covering some trite synth music. The exception was a song called "Renewal" -- that's a neat song.

black tape for a blue girl is pretty embarrassing. The music is pretty but the vocals are so over the top. Ghastly.

That's the biggest problem with the "Gothic" music I've heard -- it's like the neat ideas are there, but the people are such melodramatic freaks that they screw everything up. They have no concept of restraint or subtlety.

By Spider on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 03:03 pm:

Um, was that too much information? You'll never look at me the same way again?

By patrick on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 03:08 pm:

too much? no. its ok.

just fuel to the fire of why we call you our goth(ic) queen.

By Spider on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 03:15 pm:

You know, I'm hearing "Renewal" in my head now...I like it. It reminds me of this book I read often at that time, Greer Ilene Garson(?)'s "Moonwise." Hear a clip here.

Isn't that a cool album cover? I still have a t-shirt of the band with that image on the front.

By Spider on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 03:16 pm:

Ha! That site credits someone other than Mike van Portfleet for writing "Renewal" -- no wonder it's better than the others.

By Spider on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 03:22 pm:

All right, this is the last you'll hear from me on this subject: don't listen to the clip there. It's a clip of the song's bridge. WTF is up with that?

By spunky on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 03:29 pm:

By semillama on Wednesday, October 16, 2002 - 06:16 pm:

Embarassing - that is the BEST description of
    Black Tape for A Blue Girl I've ever heard.

By Skooter on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 04:00 pm:

How about Halloween Hootananny, compiled
    by RoB Zombie, or anything done by him.
    The Misfits
    Concrete Blond-Bloodletting
    Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy
    Skinny Puppy

By patrick on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 04:04 pm:

did that Rob Zombie movie ever get released? a pal worked on it and said it was the biggest, most disorganized mess of a production he had ever seen and said Rob was a big fuckin weiner who cost Paramount excessive amounts of money.

just stirred a thought. i have no opinion of his music and halloween.

By patrick on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 04:04 pm:

Universal rather

By spunky on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 05:18 pm:

By spunky on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 05:20 pm:

does universal own lion'g gate?

By patrick on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 05:29 pm:

yes. I believe its their "indie" releasing label. Kinda like Fox Searchlight is for Fox. im positive its a Universal picture because I picked my buddy up from work one day there. Most releasing lables are in one way or another owned by Sony, Universal, Paramount, Fox, Warner or MGM.

By Dougie on Thursday, October 17, 2002 - 06:53 pm:

Jerry Goldsmith's score to the Omen.

By J on Friday, October 18, 2002 - 01:58 pm:

Tubular bells.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact