I need help!

sorabji.com: What are you listening to?: I need help!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By moonit on Thursday, November 7, 2002 - 09:05 pm:

Hey guys,

For our Xmas party at work this year, we're having 'A right royal occasion'. Its at this really old house, and I'm making some cd's to play until the dj starts.

I'm thinking the first CD should contain music with a 'royal' theme - songs that have Queen/King/Princess/Prince etc in their titles or lyrics and artists of the same line....

So far I've thought of:
    Queen
    Prince
    Michael Jackson (cause he's the king of pop)
    Elvis
    Britney Spears (don't ask - someone told me she's the princess)
    Juice Newton's Queen of Hearts

but I need more...

Any suggestions?

By moonit on Thursday, November 7, 2002 - 09:05 pm:

Oh I should mention that these are pretty mainstream people...

By agatha on Thursday, November 7, 2002 - 09:37 pm:

sultans of swing?
    dancing queen

that's all i can think of at the moment

By moonit on Thursday, November 7, 2002 - 11:43 pm:

oh yeah dancing queen. thanks.

I need more - work with me people!

By semillama on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 08:40 am:

"King of the Road" by ????

Dj JAzzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince?

I would say some ska by Prince Buster but that might be too out of the mainstream.

Queens of the Stone Age?

that's as mainstrea as I can get, otherwise I wouold suggest
    Killing Joke : "Kings and Queens"
    THe Damage Manual: "King Mob"
    Lords of the New Church
    Queen Latifah
    King Diamond
    Burning Spear: "Jah Kingdom"

By Spider on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 08:57 am:

Hmmmm...

Cop Shoot Cop has a song called "The Queen of Shinbone Alley"

Girls Against Boys has a song called "The Royal Lowdown"

PJ Harvey has a song called "50 Ft. Queenie" (heh, I'd like to hear that played at an office party)

There's the band King Crimson
    The band King Kong
    Nat "King" Cole

Ummm...

By Spider on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 08:57 am:

Ooh, there's a singer named Princess Superstar

By Spider on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 08:59 am:

Another one -- The Spin Doctors' "Two Princes" (remember? "So go ahead now" in the chorus?)

Doesn't Sinead O'Connor have a song called "the Emperor's New Clothes"?

By Spider on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 09:02 am:

Lords of Acid (I'd laugh and laugh if you played this)

Bob Dylan's "Lay, Lady, Lay" (ok, stretching it)

This is fun!

By Spider on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 09:18 am:

How about the band Palace?

(I promise, I'll stop now. Well, FOR now.)

By Dougie on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 09:25 am:

...Roger Miller, Sem?

Bowie's Heroes: "I, I will be king
    And you, you will be queen"

King Crimson

By dave. on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 09:32 am:

king ink - the birthday party
    slang king - the fall

the dukes of stratosphear

i'm lost when it comes to mainstream music dj-ing. best i could do is turn on a radio.

By J on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 09:38 am:

The Amboy Dukes have been together 37 years.

By kazoo on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 10:43 am:

I like REM's version of King of the Road where they're all trashed and Mike Mills (I think) is calling out all the chords in the background.

Beatles' *Her Majesty*? (though it's very short)

VU's *Lady Godiva's Operation*?

By Nigel Mason on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 10:46 am:

God Save the Queen?

By Spider on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 11:06 am:

The Smiths' "The Queen Is Dead"

You could always type in "queen," "king," etc into Amazon.com's search engine.

By Gee on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 03:22 pm:

"Killer Queen" - Queen
    "King of Wishful Thinking" - Barenaked Ladies

By agatha on Friday, November 8, 2002 - 08:25 pm:

i knew there had to be a beatles song, but i couldn't think of one.

spider, good ones.

By Dougie on Saturday, November 9, 2002 - 09:13 am:

Her Majesty's Satanic Request

By patrick on Saturday, November 9, 2002 - 12:48 pm:

HA! im sure her workmates would be all over King Crimson, Cop Shoot Cop and the Sex Pistols. Especially Lady Godiva's Operation. I keep picturing my mom and her contemporaries at a social with that on.

she said mainstream people.

Like you know....Tom Petty, Celine Dion, Elton John and Bruce Springsteen.

By moonit on Saturday, November 9, 2002 - 08:37 pm:

Uh Patrick, If I put any Celine Dion on there my ass would be kicked big time.

Most of my workmates are 30-40's, professional grown-ups, however our last work function was three hours at time out (video games place) and everyone had a blast.

Just don't think the Sex Pistols would go down well.

By J on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 09:45 am:

Then King of Confidence and Little Palaces off of Elvis Costello's King of America. Elvis was on The Simpsons last night.

By patrick on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 11:34 am:

that episode ruled!

By wisper on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 01:41 pm:

yesterday i bought the Prison Sideshow Bob action figure, and he comes with a rake! I can do the rake gag, over and over and over again. It still makes me fall over.

*thWACK!* ".....ggrrrRRrrr"

see? i'm laughing right now.
    And the boy got Disco Stu, who comes with a disco ball and that disco sales chart from the Fleeta Pita episode. Oh yeah.
    These two make 3, along with the first one i got, of BumbleBee man! But until i win the lottery i won't be able to hear them talk on those damn expensive bases. The bastards. And they're barely shipping any to canada. I've never seen 3/4ths of the figures. Plow King Barney? I would kill.

It's so stupid. When the show was at it's hight, the merchandise sucked. Now the show's gone downhill, and the products are amazing.

By patrick on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 01:46 pm:

likewise, that is probably my favorite Sideshow Bob moment as well. The god damn rake! THE GOD DAMN RAKE!

Im not so sure the show is gone down hill, as much as our sense of sarcasm and humor has become more keen to their brand. Our tolerance is higher.
    They showed the Homer/Medicinal Pot episode prior to last night's Rock & Roll Camp. Thats another winner too.

By Spider on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 02:02 pm:

I missed last night's episode. :(

One of my favorites is the one in which Homer hallucinates after eating a chili pepper and goes on a quest for his soul mate. It's more sentimental than funny, but it just hits the spot or something. It's satisfying.

The Bumblebee Guy is one of my favorite secondary characters. "Dios no me ama." Heheh.

By patrick on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 02:21 pm:

i think any of the drug episodes, such as the one you mention, also a favorite, or the one where Lisa drinks the water at Duff Gardens and trips, any of those are great because clearly the writers are experienced in those matters.

By semillama on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 03:03 pm:

ANything that causes Homer to scream in any episode is guaranteed to have me in stitches.

By J on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 10:52 am:

He's crazy about the breast implants Marge will soon be getting and she shows them to anyone.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact