Depends on My Mood

sorabji.com: What are you listening to?: Depends on My Mood
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By spunky on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 12:17 pm:

Upset or depressed:
    Depeche Mode, Oingo Boingo & Pet Shop Boys
    Angry: Metallica, AC/DC & Def Leppard, or Chamber Music (Most Notably Thundering Classics)
    Happy: Anything
    Lonely: Same as depressed, or love songs that mean something to both eri and I.

I am sure there is more, but this is what I can come up with on the top of my head

By patrick on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 01:31 pm:

btw

i take issue with your "punk" (new wave is more appropriate) section on your mp3 page.

that aside...

i get really really uncomfortable about this....emotional tooling by media.

so....i try and avoid it all together.

especially with mainstream songs. i feel like im being poked and prodded by some media dickhead and well, that just bothers the fuck outta me.

By patrick on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 01:35 pm:

i can tell you though...when the wife first left for france...i need some strength so i listened to Velvet Underground's "Jesus", "Pale Blue Eyes", "Candy Says" really loud and sang like a motherfucker. Especially 'Candy Says". God damn that song is beautiful.

By spunky on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 01:48 pm:

these are my personal choices for when I feeling a certain way, and has nothing to do with the media, mainstream or otherwise

By Spider on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 02:25 pm:

I thought of starting a thread like this over the weekend, except focusing on activities.

Ideally:

I like to listen to Neko Case or the Stooges when I clean.

Jeff Buckley when I drive distances.

Amon Tobin or Goldie when I drive in the city at night.

The Dirty Three and Rachel's when I write.

Bjork's "Homogenic" when I'm going to or from church.

Ravel or Tom Waits when I work. (I'm listening to Nick Cave now.)

When I read Kate Chopin's "The Awakening," I had one of Moby's songs off of "Animal Rights" on repeat the whole time. (It's a short book, and it's a long song.) I find instrumental Moby to be good background music when reading.

The Cure's "Disintegration" when painting. (NOT because of its mood, but because it reminds me of my childhood -- I bought it when I was 10 or 11.)

Ella Fitzgerald when cooking.

By JusMiceElf on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 02:59 pm:

Hmmm....Garmarna's Hildegard von Bingen is my latest to listen to when I'm writing or doing other work.

Richard Shindell's Courier is good when I want to relax, as is Deb Talan's Something Burning.

Cooking--Mingus, Oscar Peterson

Driving--Johnny Cash Live at San Quentin. Driving is tricky--what I like to drive to, M often finds too grating. When I'm fresh and rested, I usually compromise. When I'm tired, I don't, and sometimes get snappy.

By kazoo on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 04:05 pm:

Lately I have been listening to Bach's St. Matthew's Passion when I write.

When I am really depressed I tend to choose one song and listen to it over and over for hours. "Let Down" by Radiohead is one such song.

When I need music to sleep, Barber's adagio, Nick Drake, Morphine.

When I cook or clean I listen to music that I can't when I'm working or trying to sleep like Frank Zappa

When I worked in an office I listened to a lot of Charles Mingus, Count Basie and Joan Armatrading

Ali Farka Toure, the Mermen, the Red Hot Chili Peppers when I miss someone.

And in keeping with the transformation that I am making from being a non-crying type to a crying type, I discovered a song by Danu that made me weep like a baby...I was driving and could not, for the life of me, hold back tears.

By Spider on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 04:29 pm:

"Let Down" is one of the most beautiful songs ever.

A few months ago I went through a phase in which it was all Radiohead all the time. "Bulletproof" and "How to Disappear Completely" are my depression-soundtrack songs of choice.

Morphine's "Candy" and a few songs off "The Night" make me cry when I think of them in relation to poor Mark Sandman. I kick myself because I had a chance to see them live at one of their last US performances, and I left the show before they came on stage. Stupid stupid stupid.

By agatha on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 03:01 pm:

early roberta flack is good when i'm either mellow and happy, or depressed.

By Lapis on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 - 03:02 am:

I've been listening to Sinead O'Connor lately, quiet but not-quite-sad music for writing and typing.

Gloomy neo-classical is the shit. I heard some Black Heart Procession the other day and fell in love. I've been picking up on Tori Amos and thirsting for more modern piano stuff.

Kittie is good for anger. Spit is good, I don't like Oracle as well but it's so much harder and screamy and though it's good in its own right I can't take it. Fernando is good for lethargic gray days, Len and Elwood for sunshine.

Hard/Goth rock just makes me want to dance. I can imagine ballets and choreographed roller skate routines to Orgy and Rob Zombie.

By The Watcher on Thursday, July 3, 2003 - 06:56 pm:

For the last couple of days I've had ABBA The Definitive Collection playing.

So they are very middle of the road - I like them.

By Vilnius viper on Friday, July 4, 2003 - 06:43 pm:

BEE GEES,STAYING ALIVE,OR LOVE TAKES US UP WHERE WE BELONG,WHERE THE EAGLES FLY,OVER MOUNTAINS HIGH ETC.,JOE COCKER,I THINK.BUT THEN AGAIN,I DO HAVE A STRANGE ELECTRICAL EFFECT ON ALL THINGS,LIKE CAR RADIOS.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact