New Nick Cave?

sorabji.com: What are you listening to?: New Nick Cave?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 04:09 pm:

A friend of mine just wrote me:

<< NOCTURAMA is so good i actually had to shit while listening to it. i highly recommend it...esp 'dead man in my bed'... >>

Okay!

Just thought y'all'd like to know. ;)

By Spider on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 04:10 pm:

By dave. on Thursday, February 6, 2003 - 09:57 pm:

i think it's rather middle of the road. boatman's call was permeated with a subtle grace that made even the outwardly boring songs intrinsically beautiful. the whole band really nailed it on that album. nocturama has none of that. i love nick cave but i admit his work is spotty and inconsistent. this isn't one of his better efforts.

By Spider on Friday, February 7, 2003 - 12:15 pm:

I listened to the Boatman's Call this morning as I made breakfast. Is that song about Black Hair intended to be funny? I always start laughing after the 20th mention of black hair. I wonder if it's about PJ Harvey.

By agatha on Friday, February 7, 2003 - 08:42 pm:

i know! it's soooo repetitive. i laughed the first time i heard it, and commented about that very thing to dave.

By dave. on Friday, February 7, 2003 - 10:04 pm:

yeah, but the end of the song brings it all back home.

By dave. on Friday, February 7, 2003 - 11:05 pm:

the whole album is about pj harvey. nick admitted it in an interview and confessed embarassment about the whole thing. i think the album would have been perfect without the spoken word crap at the end.

By Spider on Tuesday, May 1, 2012 - 05:37 pm:

So. I'm listening to some PJ Harvey song from "Uh Huh Her" and I have to finally admit to myself that I haven't enjoyed anything she's done since "Is This Desire?" That album came out in 1998 and she's released 4 albums and 1 EP since then.

This is, like, a painful blow to me because somehow "I love PJ Harvey" has become woven into my self-concept. It's like

Spider
    *female
    *American
    *Northeastern American
    *Italian-American
    *Brunette
    *Lover of music
    *Lover of Tom Waits
    *Lover of PJ Harvey
    *Future post-apocalyptic librarian
    *Liberal feminist
    *Lover of fine cheese

Or something. You know what I'm trying to say? It's up there, my love for PJ Harvey. Discovering her music in my teens was a life-changing experience for me. She was so ferocious and unafraid of sounding ugly, and would often wail and woop like a dying loon in her songs, and dress up in full-on movie-glam-gear to make fun of rigid definitions of femininity, and she was just what I needed to hear and be inspired by as I was transitioning into adulthood.

What has happened to her? Not one song on "Uh Huh Her" does not make me cringe. The lyrics are uniformly terrible. Her last album was oookayyy -- I mean, I could see what she was trying to do, and I listened to an interview with her talking about how she wrote these songs in a totally new way, and how she wants to reinvent herself so her music never stagnates, and so on, and I respect that.

But I can think of maybe two songs she's written in the past ten years that made me think, ooh, better listen to that again.

And here's a big confession I have to make. This has been weighing on my musical conscience.

I don't really like Nick Cave.

I'm glad he exists and makes music, I think the world needs him and his contribution to the global musical tapestry is invaluable, and I love that this Australian dude is trying to carry out the American Southern Gothic literary movement through his music (and writing). But he's written probably hundreds of songs by now, and of them, maybe five have made me think, "Wow, goddamn, lemme hear that again!"

(One of those is his band Grinderman's "Love Bomb" -- that song is awesome.)

It's true.

I wish Dave were here to counsel me through this.

By agatha on Wednesday, May 2, 2012 - 12:34 pm:

I wish he were here too. I'll try to pressure him to come back. But
    you know what? Ultimately, everything you said it okay. You're
    going to be just fine. People's tastes change.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 2, 2012 - 02:16 pm:

I think it boils down to the fact that his music doesn't really have melodies. He writes great lyrics and he can build an auditory atmosphere beautifully (like the music/sounds in the background of "The Carny", for example -- great soundscape), but he doesn't actually sing.

I think in my youth I was more tolerant of bands with singers who don't sing, like Mark E. Smith or Girls Against Boys' Scott McCloud. Nowadays, I need a melody.

And since I'm baring my chest, here's another confession: It has grown to bother me that Tom Waits does not respect meter when he sings. He doesn't follow the beat, he just meanders through the melody. I know this is just his style, but seriously, Tom. Even on a very rhythmic song like "Singapore" he's "tempo rubato"-ing all over the place. It just bugs me, okay?

BECAUSE. It doesn't sound deliberate or done for effect. It sounds like he has no sense of rhythm. Now, this obviously is untrue because of how he plays his instruments, but that is the impression his singing gives. And I don't like it.

By semillama on Thursday, May 3, 2012 - 11:00 am:

You can't really sing along to Nick Cave, which is the whole problem.

Spider, when you talk about PJ Harvey's last album, are you referring to "Let England Shake"?

By Spider on Thursday, May 3, 2012 - 11:29 am:

Yeah. It's one of those albums that I like in theory -- she's talked about how she wrote all the lyrics to stand alone as poems, and she focused on writing melodies that you could sing along to, in a group, because she wanted the music to be something you could experience socially. Some of the songs are about WWI, which is cool.

But every time I try to listen to it, I get maybe a minute into a song and get bored and skip to the next one. Also, I prefer it when she sings in her lower register, which you don't hear much of on this album.

I know I clearly have attention deficit problems these days, so maybe this is a problem that lies with me and not her.

One non-melodic song I adore is Tom Waits' "Watch Her Disappear". It's magically both sexy and sad.

Last night
    I dreamed that I was dreaming of you
    and from a window across the lawn
    I watched you undress
    wearing a sunset of purple
    tightly woven around your hair
    that rose in strangled ebony curls
    moving in a yellow bedroom light

the air is wet with sound
    the faraway yelping of a wounded dog

the ground is drinking a slow faucet leak
    your house is so soft and fading as it soaks
    the black summer heat

a light goes on and a door opens
    and a yellow cat runs out on the stream of hall-light
    and into the yard

a wooden cherry scent is faintly breathing the air

I hear your champagne laugh

You wear two lavender orchids
    one in your hair and one on your hip

a string of yellow carnival lights comes on with the dusk
    circling the lake
    in a slowly dipping halo
    and I hear a banjo tango

and you dance into the shadow of black poplar tree

And I watched you as you disappeared
    I watched you as you disappeared

By Spider on Thursday, May 3, 2012 - 01:33 pm:

Here is a link to the song if you to hear it.

By Antigone on Thursday, May 3, 2012 - 01:41 pm:

Magnesium citrate. Really. Takes the edge off. Takes a while, but
    it does.

By sarah on Thursday, May 3, 2012 - 02:32 pm:

that song is kinda creepy.

By Spider on Thursday, May 3, 2012 - 02:45 pm:

Heh, there's that, too. It was written as part of a soundtrack to a play about Alice Liddell, the object of Lewis Carroll's obsession (until she grew up). A lot of the songs on that album are about longing for someone you can never have, and they are so beautiful you get drawn right into that feeling. And then you remember who you're empathizing with.

It's kind of like reading Lolita.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact