Reports that the RIAA is filing upwards of 100...

sorabji.com: What are you listening to?: Reports that the RIAA is filing upwards of 100...
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 01:01 pm:

subpeonas every day against plain jane music file sharing folk.

For even as little as downloading 5-10 songs.

Do you still download music?

Are you afraid?

Is this legal?

Is the RIAA full of shit?

I think so.

I think they should fuck the fuckin fuck off. This legal stiff-arming WILL back fire. Musicians should be encouraging them to back off because at the end of the day, thats who will suffer the most.

thoughts?

By heather on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 01:29 pm:

clearly it seems that it will be the musicians that suffer no matter what.

though they can still make money with touring and representation deals [that would be worth more if the sound is more widespread]

so proportionately it will affect the more obscure, less well known, most cutting edge music and that is sad.

the companies are just greedy and want to hold on to the 'old way'. maybe they should rethink the basis of their business because it's going to change no matter how many people they sue.

i wonder what the artists would say though, if they weren't being backed by big companies acting as their body guard, if no one was defending the ideas of money for music.

By dave. on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 01:31 pm:

i leech from newsgroups. unless they plunder my isp's access logs, i'm pretty safe.

i wonder what it would cost to order a hit on the riaa board of directors?

By patrick on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 01:47 pm:

well...as you may recall...im up on gnucleus.

though they never mention gnucleus in the media so...i dunno if its an obscure exchange or what.

By Spider on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 01:52 pm:

I use Kazaa at my dad's house. There are so many (SO MANY) bands I never would have gone to see live or whose albums I never would have bought if I had been unable to first sample their music via Kazaa/Gnucleus/Napster.

I always buy if I really like. Even if I've downloaded the whole album. I like looking at the cover art and liner notes and pictures and such.

I'm also the kind of person who will buy different copies of the same album if the cover art is different and I love the album. I have 3 or 4 versions of Firewater's "The Ponzi Scheme" scattered about my apartment.

By patrick on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 02:09 pm:

Just think spider. they could come for you.

apparently they are making a point of nabbing a cross section of users to demonstrate their seriousness.

whats a bigger problem is that the ISPs are providing user info.

By J on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 02:16 pm:

I had kazaa too,but got rid of it when I was having memory problems,but like spider I also bought the C.D. used if possible.

By semillama on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 04:16 pm:

Those idiots need to realize that the problem affecting cd sales is not so much downloading but an $18.99 sticker price for a freakin cd. Especially when the economy is like it is.

By TBone on Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 01:38 pm:

I think the RIAA is just randomly suing internet users. Since most of them do use the p2p networks at least a little bit, it works pretty well...
    mostly.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact