Dadrock?

sorabji.com: What are you listening to?: Dadrock?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Monday, August 4, 2003 - 09:06 pm:

I've been recently informed that my tastes have been categorized.

"Dadrock"

I read an article in a recent issue of Details describing the genre and marketing phenomenon. Though there really isnt anything fantastic other than its music that I happen to really like.

I can't link the Details article as they are too cheap to put any content on their site.

So i give you this

Strokes
    White Stripes
    Hives
    Libertines

to name a popular few.

All taking a page from the likes of the Stones, Pretty Things and the Stooges

Amusing.

The only thing Im drawing from the concept of "dadrock" is that the advertising schmucks are my contemporaries and its just another classification as men my age are THE demographic to hit.

I'll look for the Details article with a little more effort later as I have to go home and be a dad now of which i've been waiting all day to do.

By sarah on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 11:31 am:

Linda Ronstadt and Fleetwood Mac are the quintessential dadrock bands.

By patrick on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 01:08 pm:

Some articles on 'dadrock' and related bands.

The 88s

Revisiting the 60s with Oasis and Radiohead

This, much to my amusment sounds like its a response to Dadrock, written by a teen.I don't know who Ocean Color Scene but its amusing he disses Paul Weller and yet praises the Boo Radleys.

Funny the more i read about it, it seems like a british invention, citing Blur, Oasis, Weller as some of the cornerstones.

The Details article cited a different set of more diverse groups, Fleetwood being one of them, but also Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash, TRex, Neil young right on up to Sonic Youth, Built to Spill, Beck and the Flaming Lips.

The Details article also cited MTV marketing execs realizing the when Nevermind came out, many of their current and ideal demographic were 5 years old. So they still have to cated to the "Nevermind" group while simultaneously appeasing the teens now with snacks foods like Good Charlotte and Avril Whatsherface.

I dunno about Ronstadt. My dad was into her....but....

By Rowlf on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 06:12 pm:

since you mentioned Oasis.

I saw this video for Appleton.. (the two sisters from that All Saints girlgroup)

their song sounds exactly like an Oasis song with female vocals. One of them is married to Liam. Coincidence?

Whats really sad is its better than any song off of Oasis' last two albums..

If White Stripes are dadrock, then dadrock me up. Whats Sum 41? Pimple Rock?

By patrick on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 06:26 pm:

coincidence? no.

Boss Hogg sounded, in many ways, like Jon Spencer.

Hole, in many horrible ways, sounded like Nirvana.

let me take a moment to reiterate my despire for courtney love.

i can only hope I have a problem of Eva taking my records and cd's for herself.

dave, what does Cleo like to listen too?

i know at a certain age its not cool to like what your folks like, but even i, the most stubborn of kids, eventually realized my dad has some beatles and neil young records worth snagging.

By eri on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 06:44 pm:

My parents want to snag my records :)

My mom wants my Beatles, and my dad wants my 70's collection.

Hayley is into whatever is trendy at the moment, but she likes my stuff, too. So she is a cross. She is such a follower is scares me.

Micki is all about the hard rock and classic rock. She's hillarious.

By semillama on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 07:24 pm:

It's never too early to expose your children to Iron Maiden, Eri.

By wisper on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 07:32 pm:

eri: listen to sem.

By dave. on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 09:27 pm:

cleo likes pop drivel. pop/r&b radio dreck. she showed some promise a few years back when she learned the lyrics to sally maclennane and some hockey punk tunes. she got a karaoke machine with a handful of cds and, i must say, her singing has improved. still somewhat grating (maybe it's just the repetition) but she actually sort of works that diva modulation thing much more convincingly.

she's always had a knack for memorizing lyrics. maybe i need to start singing orders to her a la n-sync.

ba-by clean your room!
    oooooh ooh yeah eyeah-yeah
    girl you just ain't co-oo-oh-oming out
    til that room's all clean!
    oooh baby!

or

how many times must i tell you-oo-oo
    brush your teeth, girl.
    because your old enough
    and your teeth, your teeth are yellow-whoa
    and when you're close to me
    i just can't stand, can't stand the smell-oh
    ooo-ooo-oo-whoa-whoa-yeah-eyeah!

nah, she'd still tune me out.

By eri on Tuesday, August 5, 2003 - 11:40 pm:

Sound like Cleo and Hayley would make a disturbing pair.

I don't have a problem exposing my kids to much of anything excluding the old 2 Live Crew type of stuff. I don't need Hayley running around singing "Welcome to the FUCCCCKKKKK SHOPPPPPPPP". And Micki would do that.

I do let them listen to just about anything so long as it doesn't sound WRONG when they sing it, cuz Micki can hear a song once and know all of the lyrics. Hell, she makes up her own songs and sings them to herself at least 12 hours a day.

I am constantly trying to expose them to different types of music. All kinds of different types. Especially since Hayley is SOOOOO into pop music and thinks American Idol is KING OF ALL POP!!!!!! She needs a broader base, cuz most of it is shit.

I had one thing pop into my head earlier and I was thinking it was a band I used to listen to, but am not sure........SUICIDAL TENDENCIES????????
    Band, song?

Micki is totally going to be my punk queen in the end :)

By dave. on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 12:57 am:

micki's still young. cleo used to eat hummus and falafel and broccoli and brussels sprouts with lemon and butter, listen to eclectic music all without complaining or arm-twisting. now, she's so stubborn and resistant to us.

she went camping with her friend and asked to be excused after dinner -- like that would ever happen at home. at least it sinks in, but i wish she weren't so obstinate around us. it's not so much that she's obstinate, it's more she takes stands on the stupidest fucking things.

patrick. you just wait, buddy

By Spider on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 11:04 am:

Dave, I'm crying over here. That was classic.

By Spider on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 11:14 am:

Patrick, what word were you going for with "despire"?

That Strokes/White Stripes/etc list makes me despair. Unoriginal, unimaginative, unintelligent shite. Built to Spill, Beck, and the Flaming Lips are good. Fleetwood Mac? You know I love them.

My dad doesn't listen to music, and my mom listens to classical music exclusively. Though when we were little, she played her Simon & Garfunkel Greatest Hits LP a lot. I've always loved them, for that reason. Yeah, throw those tomatoes. My aunt gave us Fleetwood Mac, Led Zeppelin, early Elton John, James Taylor, Joni Mitchell.....I still like them, too. I never went through an "older generations' music sucks!" period. But lots of music sucks, period.

By J on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 11:43 am:

I love Joni Mitchell,Ladies of the Canyon is my favorite album by her,and for some reason it reminds me of my times in California. Also it has Morning Morgantown,as in W.V.

By Spider on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 12:25 pm:

I don't think my aunt had that album...I'll look into it.

By patrick on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 01:10 pm:

i dont even know spider. im still in a lather from the driving thread.

generally i feel the same way about white stripes/strokes.

yeah nico has a soft spot for Simon & Garfunkle because her dad used to play the records with her.

i hope one or two things stick with Eva that way.

and dave....im waiting. im mentally preparing constantly. I know its coming. i know its coming back. i gave so much of it up....i know i know i know.

and if you start pop-diva-cising your chore list to cleo, i must beg agatha to get that shit on tape.

By eri on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 01:13 pm:

I'll need a copy to see if it works with Hayley :)

By Lapis on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 03:52 pm:

I found this neat album, Boogaloo to Beck. They turned his songs to instrumentals and they sound great. I need to get it out.

By Dougie on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 07:31 pm:

I really like that Queens of the Stone Age video for Go with the Flow.

By semillama on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 08:36 pm:

yes, it's good. Has anyone seen the video by Junior Senior yet? It struck me as something that sorabji people would dig, and also validate Hal's ideas about squirrels.

By Skooter on Wednesday, August 6, 2003 - 11:33 pm:

Love that Junior Senior vid. It's great. If onl all videos took that much thought, it would be a better world. Plus the song is catchy as all hell.
    Sing, sing, sing, sing my song and you, you, you, you sing along!

By patrick on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 12:34 pm:

no.

but a video i really dig these days is Miss Elliot -Gossip Talk.

Missy fucking rules

By Rowlf on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 06:11 pm:

best video of all time

Avalanches - Frontier Psychiatrist

find it or meet your doom

By patrick on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 06:41 pm:

whoa. that video is awesome.

wanna see the Rob Halford video that my pal directed, and I got a chance to shoot stills on?

i got some really kick ass photos, as you might recall me going on about from this set.

its fucking neat to see how something is shot, and then also how much its edited.

By Rowlf on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 07:56 pm:

god do I hate that man.

a friend of mine did a video for an indie band a couple months ago for a Christmas punk album. Song kinda blows, but the video is alright...

http://www.spacejunk.org/webpub/rotep.mov

By patrick on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 08:08 pm:

it was hilarious in so many ways though. i nearly lost it on the first scene, when he came out in that captain crunch get up with a riding crop.

By semillama on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 08:24 pm:

holy shit. What did he do to his voice?!? He sounds like a shitty King Diamond.

By patrick on Thursday, August 7, 2003 - 08:40 pm:

thats the new Halford.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact