OutKast

sorabji.com: What are you listening to?: OutKast
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By semillama on Wednesday, October 8, 2003 - 04:26 pm:

I figure this album needs its own thread.

Start with this review, forgive me for posting Slate, and discuss.

By patrick on Thursday, October 9, 2003 - 02:03 pm:

"Apparently there are people in this country who would not dance in their chairs when "Bowtie" comes on. This is why we need national health care now, because that is not right."

got that right.

great review.

i dunno about the idea that there wont be Outkast albums in the near future. as he says "...No not Oukast ever lastin, no not clashin, see my nigga went to do a little ...actin...."

moreover, i read a great interview in Urb magazine recently. They both insisted that aint the case. If anything, they have so much friggin material, they could release three more Outkast albums tomorrow.

sweet baby jesus.

By semillama on Thursday, October 9, 2003 - 03:45 pm:

in-DEED.

Although - weird thing - i went to put the album on my computer so I didn't have to have the album with me all the time, and I can put one album on fine, but if I put the other album on, it replaces the music from the previous album. which is frustrating. So much for that idea. I need to check and see if each song is identical in length - maybe that's why. There are 20 tracks on each disc, but I doubt that's it.

By dave. on Thursday, October 9, 2003 - 05:01 pm:

yeah, macs are so much better.

By wisper on Thursday, October 9, 2003 - 06:44 pm:

"macs are so much better"

my eyes are burning!!!

By TBone on Thursday, October 9, 2003 - 06:59 pm:

Dude, the new macs are the best. I wish I could afford one.
    'Cause if I could, I'd buy a new car.

By dave. on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 01:09 am:

yeah, new macs are pretty cool if you're prepared to cast off all shackles to the windows platform. i was just laughing at semmy's shit not working.

http://www.stankonia.com/000165.html

andre 3000 rules it.

By semillama on Friday, October 10, 2003 - 10:12 am:

eh, I didn't pay for this computer. As long as work lets me take it home, it doubles as my personal computer for now.

It hasn't crashed all week though, which is good.

When I can afford to buy myself a computer, I am going straight back to Mac.

By J on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 12:53 pm:

I need a new computer are mac's really easier for computer stupid people?

By dave. on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 01:53 pm:

yes they are. but you can't own a mac unless you also own a new beetle or a p\t cruiser. you need to always wear a fanny pack and you need short hair with a long, skinny braided tail. 'cause, y'know, you're a rebel and shit.

By dave. on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 04:46 pm:

i still don't like speakerboxxx as much.

By wisper on Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 06:47 pm:

i love dave.

By J on Monday, October 13, 2003 - 11:41 am:

Me too:) I bought a car a couple of weeks ago,it's used 28,000 miles a Nissan Quest,it has an extended warrenty to 100.000 miles,it has about every option you could get with it except the sun roof it has a vcr, cd player and the best airconditioner I paid $17,000 cash.The young couple I bought it from has 3 young kids I couldn't believe they wanted to sell it,it looks brand new.They lived in Scottsdale,were "yuppies" and then I saw that she had bought a Mercedes one of those cheap ones that look like a regular car,what fools I thought to myself.They couldn't believe we paid cash.It's cause we have never been the keep up with the Jone's or wear our money on our back kind of people that we could do it.I feel like I got a screaming deal.I guess I'll skip the mac I can't do fanny packs...I've got my pride you know.

By Rowlf on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 06:08 pm:

check out the mainpage of the Onion. Right now.
    You'll see what I mean

so true.

By semillama on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 06:36 pm:

Did you see the "What Do you Think?" It's about Ahnuld.

my fave:

"Who would have thought that a bad Austrian artist who's obsessed with the human physical ideal could assemble such a rabid political following?"

By kazu on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 10:15 am:

Question for Patrick:

Have you ever a mentioned a band called the subsonics 'roun these parts?

By patrick on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 01:49 pm:

yes

atlanta legends

i even have their bumper stick on my car, what 7 years and 3k miles away.

By kazu on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 03:22 pm:

I'm going to see them play Friday right up the street
    from my house. I caught a lone poster on a tele-pole.

By patrick on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 04:18 pm:

are they by chance playing at the Majestic theater?

they used to play afterhours a lot there, the thing to do when the bars closed.

i see they gave just released album. the first in 5 years.

have fun.

By sarah on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 05:41 pm:

has anyone here heard My Morning Jacket? i saw them friday night, sold out show. good shit.

By patrick on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 06:06 pm:

havent heard anything by them to my knowledge, but really good things about them.

By kazu on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 07:54 pm:

the subsonics are playing at the star bar

By Rowlf on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 09:06 pm:

i mentioned My Morning Jacket a few days ago after mocking Dave Matthews on some other thread...

since i'm banned from buying cds this month, wisper broke and ended up buying the Outkast album herself. I've listened to it twice now, and I think overall Speakerboxx is the better disc...

the only disappointment is that while reinventing the hip-hop wheel, Outkast fail to see a future that doesnt include pointless intros and skits.

By dave. on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 09:24 pm:

yeah, i'm about to burn a skit-free version.

also, you're all wrong about speakerboxxx.

By Rowlf on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 09:47 pm:

I'unno dave.

Love Below is great, but the Prince'isms all over it cant surpass the real thing. Don't fuck with the Jedi master, son.

By dave. on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 12:35 am:

ok, if the falsetto funk does nothing for you but evoke prince memories, you prolly shouldn't like tlb. i think the music is top notch. for example, "she lives in my lap" is fucking intense and i don't even care about the lyrics. the lyrics are dorky. the delivery is badass, the production is impeccable and the last minute and a ½ is pure wall of sound funk heaven. most of all, dre 3k isn't "representin'" and he isn't "frontin'". he's not trying to bring us home to the 'hood, as most of the rappers seem to need to do, he's trying to take us away.

it would be hard for me to say i like speakerboxx without also saying i like nas and ludacris and fuck, even nelly. i haven't been able to find very much about big boi's work that rises above the usual hip-hop fare.

By Rowlf on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 12:58 am:

oh it does stuff to me besides evoke Prince memories, but when i step back from it i can clearly see he still cant step up to Prince. really.

By dave. on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 01:20 am:

yeah, i dunno. i get more of a p-funk vibe than a prince vibe. it's in the attitude. granted, prince is amazing but i could never get into the narcissism of prince. i've always preferred the hedonism of p-funk.

By Rowlf on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 01:52 am:

i think prince had plenty of hedonism to spare...

By dave. on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 02:08 am:

bah.

By kazu on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 11:27 am:

There is something about "Flip Flop Rock" that simply sings to me. I don't know what it is, because I don't even think it's the best song, I just like it.

I like speakerboxxx a lot, but I think The Love Below is more interesting. I liken it to watching a good movie over and over again, I find myself hearing something "new" everytime. I like the prince memories that tlb evokes, but there is so much going on that I don't care if he can or cannot step up to prince. It's more eclectic than the other disc and I like that.

oh and dave. I put a lot of faith in your musical judgement this weekend. All I have to say is that NoMeansNo Wrong better be worth my entering into the evil wicked world of ebay which I said I would never do. of course, if it's as good as what I have already heard, then it was a journey well taken.

By dave. on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 11:56 am:

wow. i'm flattered and nervous.

hopefully, you're getting the cd with "life in hell" and "i am wrong".

if you like it, you should pick up "mama" to see what the wright bros. sounded like when they started out.

By patrick on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 12:44 pm:

nas? nelly? no way.

ludacris? maybe, but I actually think he has some ok songs.

but nas? i dont hear 'no shake your tail feather' in big boi's disc.its maybe a finer line, that dre lays out, for sure but the handful of cuts that really do something to me on Speakerboxx, like Ghettomusick, Bowtie, War and Church,

There's way more P-Funk in speakerboxx. And while im with you that She Lives in my Lap and even Spread are the best songs on dre's disc, I have a hard time dodging the silly lyrics and the skits. In otherwords, I find myself skipping tracks on Love Below far more than i do Speakerboxx. There's more meat on big boi's disc.

By semillama on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 12:52 pm:

I think that Big Boi's disc has more flow to it. Dre's jumps all over the place. I'm tempted to reorder the songs and burn a disc of how I think it shoudl have gone, almost...I just picked up Jurassic 5's Power in Numbers, and I really like that. I also got Nation of Ulysses' The Embassy Tapes, which is alright. It was $3 so I figured I'd check it out. I also got Bowie's Hours for the same price. I also picked up Andrew W.K.'s I get wet.

Now before you all start yelling, I took the plunge on this one on the recommendations of the folks at Chunklet and I really like this album. The lyrics are on par with Wesley Willis, but the music is well composed and so joyful. It's awesome car music, and if I had it available after the time I spent staying up all night with Kazu, it would have been the album I reached for to listen to while I drove home.

By dave. on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 02:17 pm:

i've listened to speakerboxx ½ a dozen times now and i can barely remember any of it. it just doesn't engage me on any level.

jeez, sem. ffffhh.

By semillama on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 04:51 pm:

There's a lot about The Love Below I can't recall either. It's a little TOO schizo you know? but I agree that there is too much on speakerboxxx too. Now I think they could have had one album instead of two.

By kazu on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 05:09 pm:

There are lots of double albums that should have been just one, but I kind of like that the Outkast has so much stuff, even the stuff that I don't like so much because I get a sense of the process that went into deveoping the various sounds...not the whole process, but of the different sources they were pulling from...it gives me a lot to think about.

By Rowlf on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 07:08 pm:

i think my favorite song on either disc is "bowtie"

I've turned away from the Outkast the last couple days. I made myself a new Radiohead album... i already have their other "b-sides" discs (the my iron lung ep and the how am i driving? ep), so i put together a compilation from mp3s and the few cd singles I do have... for anyone who's interested, this is my tracklisting. hit kazaa and get going. the way i arranged it has a good flow.

1. bishops robes
    2. talk show host
    3. the amazing sounds of orgy
    4. fog
    5. cuttooth
    6. worrywort
    7. paperbag writer
    8. where bluebirds fly
    9. i am citizen insane
    10. gagging order
    11. i am a wicked child
    12. fog (again) - live
    13. climbing up the walls (zero 7 mix)

if you want to go further, you could get the mp3 of "kinetic", but that song fucking sucks... and if you dont have their live album, find "true love waits", and there you have a new radiohead disc...

better than amnesiac at the very least.

By Rowlf on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 07:09 pm:

"There are lots of double albums that should have been just one"

GNR Use Your Illusion shoulda been one disc.

most people say the same bout Smashing Pumpkins mellon collie, but I love it.

By kazu on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 07:16 pm:

Funny coincidence (or I could piss Harvey off and call it ironic) the smashing pumpkins was what I was thinking of.

I haven't listened to that album in years. Maybe I should.

I just want Wrong to get here.

By Rowlf on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 07:18 pm:

Wrong?

I dont follow

By kazu on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 07:21 pm:

scroll up a bit to my first post about outkast.

By wisper on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 12:00 am:

"GNR Use Your Illusion shoulda been one disc. "

shut UP!

By moonit on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 02:36 am:

But but.. would there be the two versions of don't cry?

By kazu on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 05:50 pm:

Patrick, the subsonics were great. it was one of the most satisfying $6 shows I've seen in a long time. Their singer looks like a cross between Jerry Harrison and Moe Tucker, plucked straight from the late 70s CBGB punk scene.

Their drummer is totally hot and she stands up which totally changed the dynamic of their stage presence.

And while I kind of liked that there weren't a lot of people there (you know, so we could have them to ourselves kind of thing) I was also irritated that any whitestripes-weenies-from-atlanta didn't show up. Shameful.

By patrick on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 06:03 pm:

ah yes. Buffy. She's a mega bitch though but only because she's been a scene queen for so long.

i started out playing drums standing up.

My favorite thing about Clay is that he's so god damn wirey he's able to take his slinky leg, wrap it around the mic stand, holds it and leans forward while rockin out. thats hot.

I was surprised to hear that they were playing, as Clay has battled heroin for years and years and when we left Atlanta i had heard that Buffy left, and things were in disaray.

its best the whitestripe weenies didnt show up. they have no idea. subsonics have been doing it, and consistantly better for so long. somethings should be kept from the masses, i think.

By kazu on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 06:09 pm:

You're probably right. I think I just hate the whitestripes and wish they would go away and that people should know better. My friend that I was with is something of a whitestripes weenie and wouldn't admit that the subsonics were better and when I asked what was better about the ws he brought up the strokes.

don't ask.

That mic thing was pretty cool.

By patrick on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 06:50 pm:

check out something else that the mainstream will never ever be a part of.

my longtime friend "Christopher Exits" 's ongoing project

he was a catalyst to me playing drums in my first band in highschool.

i got the 12" recently which is fucking amazing.

what they are doing, is, by far the most innovative things around and a total breath of fresh air

Here's a pretty raw live segment
    http://punkcast.com/242/

scroll down and click on the real audio link

By Rowlf on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 08:26 pm:

i am a 'whitestripesweenie'

i've heard the subsonics. There is a difference. Comparing the White Stripes to the Subsonics is a disservice to both.

By Rowlf on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 08:27 pm:

I hope y'all arent hating on a band for becoming popular. Because i hate it when people are doing that. its as ignorant as writing off a band because you've never heard of em before.

By Rowlf on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 08:49 pm:

"My friend that I was with is something of a whitestripes weenie and wouldn't admit that the subsonics were better and when I asked what was better about the ws he brought up the strokes. "

whats up with your friend?

you know, i'm gonna say it. as good as the subsonics are, the reason they get away with their sound whilst the strokes and the white stripes get nailed for it is because noone has heard of the subsonics. come on, listen to the songs - the subsonics probably owe even more to the Velvet Underground than the strokes do themselves. I mean, listen to "hello beauty", theres some serious Lou Reed shit goin on, albeit a touch more rockabilly than people would credit to the old man.

the reason the strokes have moved ahead is because more of their songs sound different from each other while still remaining consistent. it fills out an album better, and wins converts. thats what happens. its not gonna work for them very long because they'll keep repeating themselves but for now i can see why they're popular. hold on a second, let me rephrase. the strokes are nowhere near as popular as everyone thinks they are. they're like pearl jam, radiohead and phish, in the sense that everyone knows who they are, but only a devoted following really buys the record...

the reason the white stripes have moved ahead is because they actually dont have a lot in common with either of the two bands i just mentioned other than their production values. The White Stripes are a blues band, plain and simple, who happen to be smart at self-marketing. They had their own label for years and worked HARD to get where they are, and it still blows my mind that they can have such presence with just two people, can play so loose and still hold itself together so well. you can listen to john lee hooker and the white stripes one after the other and see the direct connection. the only punk band i think they really have anything in common with is the MC5/. i hate hearing how they're oh so gimmicky, when look at the subsonics or man or astroman? or whatever... the only thing that annoys me about the white stripes and the strokes are specific band members' celebrity girlfriends.

if the subsonics had been big, you never know. they could do the same damn thing. rock musicians - they're all starfuckers.

i'm sorry to go on some asshole lester bangs tangent, but i really dont like hearing all these bands lumped together as if they're the same. they're not. and the cream does rise to the top. shitty versions of these same bands have tried and failed. The Vines failed and good riddance. Division of Laura Lee failed. The Hellacopters are still hangin in there, but they're not up to speed. Nicke should just quit and go back to Entombed.

And don't even try to lump the hives or the International Noise Conspiracy in there either. Its just not right.

By kazu on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 08:55 pm:

It was just a little mean spirited catty annoyance.

I'm not hating anyone for becoming popular. However, some bands are served up better in small clubs for $6. If they get big, they often lose their appeal for me. That's just the way it is. But I wouldn't waste my time hatin' on them because of that; I just move onto something new.

"its as ignorant as writing off a band because you've never heard of em before."

i hope that you are not calling me ignorant, implying that I've never even heard the whitestripes because I made a comparison that you don't agree with. and the only reason I compared them was because 1. it was a nod to something patrick said earlier about them and 2. they seemed to be the kind of band that people who listen to ws MIGHT also like. I've heard the white stripes. I wasn't impressed and I've since been tired, not that people like them, but that they've tried to convince me of how wonderful they are.

By kazu on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 08:58 pm:

You just proved that you aren't a whitestripes weenie Rowlf.

By patrick on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 09:00 pm:

well you should know by my professed likes around here that being popular or not is certainly not a prerequisite for who i like and don't like.

i don't even think the Stripes or Strokes are that bad, its they easily represent a "new" flavor of pop, that all the monkeys jumped on in the last two years. a flavor that had been around forever.

"the reason the strokes have moved ahead is because more of their songs sound different from each other while still remaining consistent."

shiiiiiit. different? no fucking way. they just happen to be cute and catchy.

aside from buffy, subsonics have always been too ugly for the mainstream.

speaking of pop wonders of the rock scene, i made the mistake of buying Black Rebel Motorcycle Club's latest. Booooooring.

the stripes lack emotion to be anything related to blues, muchless BoogieChillum himself man. You should be slapped with a white glove for that holmes.

and yes, nearly a decade ago thats ALL people compred the Subsonics too, was VU and New York Dolls.

By kazu on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 09:32 pm:

And I like that asshole lester bangs. A lot.

"the stripes lack emotion to be anything related to blues"

That's kind of how I feel. I'd have to go back and listen again, and I'll hear a connection between ws and john lee hooker because I think they sound bluesy, but i don't recall that the ws made me feel the way that john lee hooker makes me feel. Speaking of...now i know exactly what I am going to listen to as I correct papers tonight.

Don't even get me started about my friend. He has good taste in music but represents exactly what I mean by strokes/stripes weenie. My opinion was that I liked the subsonics better, his was that ws IS better. But, instead of explaining why he thought ws was better than the subsonics, he just started talking about when people think of good music of "our" time they will be talking about the strokes and the stripes. There are also radiohead weenies. They can be the worst. Now, I LOVE radiohead, let me say it again. I LOVE radiohead, but I can't stand people who won't hear anything other than their genuis, when even I can admit that their sound isn't appealing to everyone and that at times, Thom Yorke's voice can be extremely irritating. Plus, he's got fetusface

By Rowlf on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 09:47 pm:

"i hope that you are not calling me ignorant"

to noone in particular, its just a phrase i always say when i notice there are people abandoning a band simply by becoming popular... i remember when all the Gishheads stepped aside from the Smashing Pumpkins cause "today" was a hit, and decided to ignore "siamese dream", which is still probably one of my top 5 albums of all time... it happens all the time... even know amongst the mook rockers they're all abandoning Korn to listen to 3rd rate versions of the same like Adema. what gives?

"shiiiiiit. different? no fucking way. they just happen to be cute and catchy"

i think they're different from each other not like how Ween songs are different from each other, but how Pixies songs are different from each other. I still think the Strokes are more a Pixies ripoff than a Velvet underground ripoff. especially their new album. their bassist is really taking a shining to the Pixies sound, and its for the better.

"speaking of pop wonders of the rock scene, i made the mistake of buying Black Rebel Motorcycle Club's latest. Booooooring"

i have the first BMRC. its good, a couple times. but not good enough to get another.

"the stripes lack emotion to be anything related to blues, muchless BoogieChillum himself man. You should be slapped with a white glove for that holmes. "

i think thats cuz Jack, er, i dont want to say tongue in cheek cuz that sounds disrespectful to his influence... its not irony either, its some damn 'postmodern' thing or something... i'm talking more about the music, not the voice. the blues isnt just the voice. this is where that mc5 thing i'm talking about comes in, where the entertainment 'kick out the jams motherfucker' part collides with the blues sound. er... i'd even though in a Captain Beefheart comparison here... Beefheart, even when he's tight the magic band is so loose, and Captain Beefheart has his own blues influences (note that the WS have covered "china pig" too), and when Beefheart does his blues thing, he too doesnt have the typical 'blues emotion' most people demand a blues song have. Jack White, Cap'n B, they're no Skip James, but I still think, at the core, they're blues.

"Plus, he's got fetusface"

proof to me that noone is 'too ugly for the mainstream'
    I actually think Thom Yorke is quite handsome.

I'd blow him :P

HAHAHAH

and Tom Green...

so, when I said "international noise conspiracy", did any ears perk up? becuase i feel really sorry for them. Dennis Lyxsgenwhatthefuck really actually wants to be in a big band, you can tell. and 'a new morning, changing weather' is such an amazing album, but it hit before the Strokes really paved the way for 'similikes', and they got lost in the shuffle. it would have been so awesome for something like 'capitalism stole my virginity' to be a hit, because it could have been...

oh, this just reminds me to go listen to my Refused and Blood Brothers albums again...

By kazu on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 09:56 pm:

I'm going to write an essay on this weenie thing in my spare time. hahahahaha spare time hahahahahaha

If you can talk intelligently about a band (and I mean A LOT of things by that) then chances are you aren't a weenie. And, if all one can say is, "they just give me a (insert postive adjective here) feeling," well that doesn't make one a weenie. No, I'm talking about that special (but not untique) brand of uncritical enthusiasm that I know you are all familiar with. Most weenies are weenies about everything they listen to.

I also think that different bands produce different kinds of weenies.

To date, I've never met a Les Claypool weenie. It doesn't mean that I don't think they exist, I've just never met one.

I've met more than my fair share of Classical "ooooh Pachebel's Canon in D is so pretty" Music Weenies, I think they need their own special name and category.

By kazu on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 10:04 pm:

Sorry, I have to admit that feeling of satisfaction I had knowing that while everyone's going on about this new band, I already had their first album.

Siamese Dream is a great album. I'm listening to it know. Rowlf made me do it.

I can't correct papers to this.

Okay, just a few minutes and then blues.

By wisper on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 10:16 pm:

"ooooh Pachebel's Canon in D is so pretty" Music Weenies"

LOL
    "omigod, i'm totally going to use that song for my wedding!"

one x-mas someone gave my mom a cd of that song (and just that song, in a loop, for 60 min), except in the background it had "tranquil nature sounds", like birds chirping and waves. You know, the way it was always meant to be heard?

my mom played in a symphony for several years, she was WAY impressed. It's a coaster now.

we saw School of Rock!

By kazu on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 10:32 pm:

How was it?

There is another kind of classical music weenie.

"I don't really listen to classical music much, except maybe to sleep to."

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not that there is anything wrong with listening to classical music as you drift off. I do it all the time. But if that is the ONLY thing it's good for...I don't want to hear about it. And there seems to be an assumption here that classical music is all adagio all the time and that makes me insane.

By kazu on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 10:35 pm:

actually, that's not really a musicweenie by my definition. never mind.

By Rowlf on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 10:48 pm:

i dont have any classical cds....

i like classical music, but i seem to only really like it when its with a movie. i think thats the way it is with most people. i think most people like music other than 'to sleep to' and dont realize how much of it they actually hear all the time. its just in the movies, when the retarded kid gains acceptance, when the killer has the girl trapped in a small room, when harry potter is about to uncover the secret of Grizznizzles Merry Dungeon of Doom. its everywhere...

other than Danny Elfman or Carter Burwell, i dont really listen to anyones score on its own....

because i put siamese dream in my top 5, i had to go all "high fidelity' on myself and assemble a top 15 list... while doing so i forgot about my pizza and doing it.

this list does not include soundtracks, 'best of' discs, compilations, and i do discriminate against recent releases because i tend to think the albums that are really your favorites are at least a few years old, and you look back at them and know they're your favorites as you remember that time in your life, and remember if they really affected you or not...

in no particular order...

Catherine Wheel - Adam and Eve
    Radiohead - OK Computer
    Strapping Young Lad - City
    Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
    Beck - Odelay
    Keith Caputo - Died Laughing
    Faith No More - Angel Dust
    eels - Beautiful Freak
    Sepultura - Chaos A.D.
    Devin Townsend - Infinity
    Poe - Hello
    Decoryah - Wisdom Floats
    Amorphis - Elegy
    Reef - Glow
    Catatonia - International Velvet

these are the ones I still listen to often despite sitting on the shelf. I cant just KNOW that they're good, i have to bask in them reguarly and get all retro on myself, where i was the first time i heard them, whether or not part of them made me cry, remember the day i listened to "adam and eve" for 11 hours straight... good times.

By Rowlf on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 10:49 pm:

i forgot about my pizza and doing it"

and burned it.

i dont have sex with pizza anymore.

By Rowlf on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 10:50 pm:

these are the ones I still listen to often despite sitting on the shelf"

INSTEAD of sitting on the shelf.

why cant i be like wisper and spend half an hour proofreading every post i make?

By dave. on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 11:17 pm:

i read a review of the white stripes recently that basically said something like "if only you could keep getting that feeling you got the first time you heard it with all your subsequent listens". i hate quoting reviewers but i agree with that guy.

"you can never go home", said mark e. smith. a lot of shit strikes me that way these days.

for me, listening to classical music is a solitary activity. or at least there should be nobody trying to talk to me. i'm very particular about my classical tastes. i don't like most arrangements for more than 3 or 4 instruments. i don't like brass or organ and can barely tolerate woodwind. i tend to not enjoy tempos above andante or moderato. other than that, modern or baroque or whatever, i'm open to many different styles.

kazu, did you get wrong yet?

By kazu on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 11:45 pm:

I agree with you Rowlf, but I'm talking about a very specific kind of person who, even after you indicate all the classical music they've heard in films and bugs bunny cartoons still maintains, but that doesn't "count."

And of course, listening to classical music and enjoying it in films are not the same thing.

I guess I just classify these people in the same group of people who assume that if you read poetry than you must write it or that unless you can write poetry, then you shouldn't want to read it. What about song lyrics? It's not that everyone has to like poetry or think of song lyrics as poetry...it's really more these automatic/built in/thoughtless assumptions about what poetry or music or art of any kind is and how it should be enjoyed.

And believe me, I do not subscribe to the idea that anything and everything can be artistic because someone says so...it's just the weenies I don't like. And it's just me, but I like to be annoyed with people. If I were supreme ruler I wouldn't kill them or ban them, I'd just give them the most degrading and least satisyfing jobs in the kazudom.

dave. I didn't get wrong yet, the outfit that is sending it seems to be a little slow, like only mailing thing once a week and stuff. Believe me, you will know.

Can you tell there is something I don't want to do tonight? Actually, I have more time to waste than I thought because I only have five papers to correct.

By dave. on Monday, October 27, 2003 - 11:54 pm:

ok, i'll play. nostalgic albums that i still enjoy. because there's a lot of nostalgia that i can't get behind anymore. like bauhaus and sex gang children and christian death and virgin prunes -- all that goofy goth shit as well as hardcore (fang, jodie foster's army, big boys), funk (red hot chili peppers, infectious grooves, 24-7 spyz, big boys), etc. that just sounds weak anymore.

in no particular order:

+brown reason to live - butthole surfers
    +psychic, powerless. . .another man's sac - butthole surfers
    +perverted by language - the fall
    +grotesque - the fall
    +firemans curse - hunters and collectors
    +up on the sun - meat puppets
    +the punch line - minutemen
    +wrong - nomeansno
    +mama - nomeansno
    +no contest - tar babies
    +invisible lantern - screaming trees
    +entertainment - gang of four
    +the boatman's call - nick cave
    +host - critters' buggin
    +welcome to sky valley - kyuss
    +perfect from now on - built to spill
    +something vicious for tomorrow - treepeople

that's just a quick sampling of stuff that doesn't get played too much anymore but still holds for me the power it had when i first heard it. i could go on.

By moonit on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 04:53 am:

Dave is your Hunters and Collectors my Hunters and Collectors? Gotta be.

It's scary when I recognise only 2-4 bands in yours and Rowlf's posts.

By kazu on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 09:10 am:

By semillama on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 09:53 am:

There is only one reason I don't like the White Stripes, and that is because I think they are way overrated as musicians. I really have to wonder how far they would have gotten on just their music, without all the "Are they husband/wife or borther/sister?" and the red and white imagery.

I enjoy classical music in the same way I enjoy jazz - it's best to listen as an activity in and unto itself. For that reason, I like it for long car trips by myself. So I can get into the zone of driving and just become absorbed into the music. There's so much going on in jazz and classical music that if you just put it on in the background, you're going to miss 90% of what makes it so good.

By Dougie on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 11:11 am:

Wow, kewl discussion guys, although like Moonit, I only know about 2 of the bands named.

dave, when you say you like arrangements for 3-4 instruments, what specifically do you listen to classical-wise? String quartets? Piano trios/quartets? Just curious. And why the aversion to brass, organ and woodwinds? If you'd like, I can probably give you some recommendations that might change your mind about them.

Are you into any orchestral music? I've been listening to Prokofiev 5th Symphony a lot lately, and have always thought that the 3rd movement would make some awesome film music for the right movie, although I haven't figured out yet what movie that might be.

By TBone on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 11:39 am:

I have to admit that I'm not particularly well-versed in most of the music mentioned here.
    I like a lot of it, but I just have such a limited memory for things like connecting songs to artists and artists to their music.
    If that makes sense. Maybe it doesn't.
    Classical -- I took "Music Appreciation" to fulfil a general education requirement. At one point, our teacher expressed a pet peeve of his regarding "Classical" music. Just because music is from an orchestra or whatever apparently doesn't make it classical. It's more complicated. But I don't remember what _does_ make it classical. It wasn't a great class.
    The Pachabel's Canon types are familiar to me. So silly. Weenies miss out on a lot of good music. And adding nature sounds to old classical music is the weirdest damn thing. The stuff you hear from that department store machine where you press on one of the pictures of an album, and suddenly you're hearing some guy poking around with a synthesizer, accompanied by whales and coyotes and birds.
    I've been really digging a lot of music that makes heavy use of strings. There's a really nifty album - a bunch of electronic artists remixed the Requiem For a Dream soundtrack. Every damn time I play Aeternal (track 4, remixed by Paul Oakenfold) on the air, somebody calls and says "What was that?! Gimme more of that!"
    Strings.
    Rob Dougan (of recent fame due to Matrix Reloaded) includes a second CD with his Furious Angels album full of instrumental versions of many of his songs. He uses lots of strings on both disks.
    Soundtracks. Instrumentals. I'm in an anti-lyrics phase. There's some rule that says a song can't be really popular unless it has vocals. Seems like a lot of music I hear has vocals tacked on to give it a greater chance of being heard. I just want them to shut up so I can hear the music. But this tends to be of an entirely different genre than you folks have been talking about.
    I'm with you on that about listening to classical and jazz as apposed to just hearing it. I think people tend to write off instumental music as "background music" and so miss out on some incredible stuff.
    (ramble, ramble - mutter, mutter)

By TBone on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 11:41 am:

Oh, and along with strings, I've been really into piano as well.

By Spider on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 12:19 pm:

TBone, check out the works of Ralph Vaughn Williams...lots of strings there. "Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis" is really pretty.

Sample here

By patrick on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 12:21 pm:

dave did you check out the link to my friends band Ghost Exits?

The live link aint so hot but their EP is pretty damn nifty and Chris's love for Mark E Smith is up there with yours. Have you ever checked out the The Pop Group? Apparently a side project of mark's but unbeknownst to me.

And rowlf, International Noise Conspiracy means nothing to me other than in name only. I think.

also, if anyone is interested My Morning Jacket is playing live on http://www.kcrw.org in the 11am PST hour.

I have yet to hear them, but Ive heard so much about them.

And also, if it wasnt made apparent by my previous references to that site/radio station, that morning show Morning Becomes Ecclectic with Nick Harcourt is probably one of my favorite radio public radio shows as Nic is pretty damn ontop of things. I've come to realize I just can't tolerate the college radio any more and Nic fills in the gaps of professionalism where the 19 year old college weenies leave off. There's also a kick ass show at night that plays soul/rb/funk called Chocolate City with Garth Trinidad who is probably one of the DJs around. thats at 10pm PST so, if you are looking for something new to tune into on the web.

I'm always on the lookout. Lately I've been diggin Seattle's KEXP during some of the dull talk shows during the day. They seem like they have their shit together too.

By Spider on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 12:24 pm:

I used to find clarinets irritating, until I heard Aaron Copeland's Concerto for Clarinet and Strings. That sounds to me like heaven's soundtrack. Sample here (it's the first track).

By Antigone on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 12:58 pm:

"Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis" is a favorite in my family. We played it for my nephew in the hospital.

By kazu on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 01:15 pm:

"Just because music is from an orchestra or whatever
    apparently doesn't make it classical. It's more
    complicated."

It's not that complicated, classical refers to a specific
    time period.

I think.

But as far as classical meaning, "Of the first rank or
    authority; constituting a standard or model" that kind of
    music is held up as such and I am sure there is much to
    be debated there, especially as to who or what
    specifically can be said to constitute said model for
    music.

By Spider on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 01:34 pm:

Right, technically, "Classical" refers to music composed from about 1750 to the early 1800s. It comes between the Baroque and the Romantic eras.

My favorite era is late 1800s to about 1950. Debussy, Satie, Copeland, Ravel, and Rachmaninoff were all active during this period.

"Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis" sounds like music you'd discover the Holy Grail to. Your family has good taste, Antigone.

By Dougie on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 02:12 pm:

Vaughan Williams' 5th Symphony is also pretty awesome -- I love the first movement. If you guys like Fantasia on a Theme, check out his "Lark Ascending" for violin and orchestra.

By patrick on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 03:09 pm:

oh wow.

Jet.

They're blowing me away with their shaggy hair-dos, innovative lyrics about a girl and oh so original 70s rock riffs.

jesusfuckstick

i forgot....thats why i often let a little contempt seep through in regards to mainstream music...i feel like im being tooled by record label execs.

By kazu on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 05:51 pm:

I love strings. I went through an organ phase that lasted for about the hour it took me to listen to the Bach Toccata and Fugue CD that I bought. I don't like brass. The exception is the trumpet, but only sometimes, like in Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring which is probably one of the first "classical" piece that I ever fell madly in love with. It is also an exception to the organ rule. I was twelve.

Stuff I like now: most of Beethoven's symphonies and Missle Solemnis, Bach's brandenburg's concertos and St. Matthew's Passion, Gorecki's third symphony, Thaikovsky's Violin Concerto, Rachmaninoff's 2nd piano concerto, Philip Glass's Violin Concerto, Barber's adagio my copy of which also has Mahler's adagio from his 5th symphony (which is gorgeous). Arvo Part, Tabula Rasa.

Tell me what to listen to. I need more 3-4 instrument type stringy stuff. Also, to the best of your ability, tell me what recording to buy. I would rather spend good money on and get the best than the $4.99 version, which if I like it, I am just going to find a better recording anyway. I trust you. Besides, I always listen to classical CDs many many, times before I even decide if I like it so it's almost always money well spent.

By Rowlf on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 05:53 pm:

Jet are basically the sequel to a bad movie. THat first bad movie being the Datsuns.

"There is only one reason I don't like the White Stripes, and that is because I think they are way overrated as musicians. I really have to wonder how far they would have gotten on just their music, without all the "Are they husband/wife or borther/sister?" and the red and white imagery. "

I liked them before I even saw their video or album cover... and I dont think they're amazing musicians. I think its their songwriting and their energy that makes it work for them...

By kazu on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 06:03 pm:

I like evengy kissin, not only because he's a good piano player, but he also hehas good hair.

I bought Ween's Quebec today because I was tired of wanting it. I also bought two magazines. at first I was just going to buy the mojo special edition on the rolling stones. I've decided that charlie watts in my rock and roll hero even though personally I rate more keith moon on the keithmoon-charliewatt temperment index but not by that much. i bought Q even though the strokes were on the cover because I need to read more non-school stuff (even though I read magazines backwards) and a I am a closet anglophile.

By kazu on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 06:08 pm:

i'm sorry that's missa solemnis.

By Rowlf on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 06:32 pm:

how much do you have to pay for Q in the US? its like 10 bucks here. too much...

I sometimes buy "uncut" magazine if the cd on the front is good. I got this great "Keith Richards presents the Devils Music" blues album last year. great disc.

By kazu on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 06:38 pm:

It's $8.75 which is more than I can afford normally, but I'll read all of it and I wanted a treat. The mojo rolling stones I'll keep forever. It's got a picture of charlie that I want for my wall. I just love him. I mean, how does someone like that put up with the whole lot of them without losing it at some point?

By wisper on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 06:45 pm:

School of Rock was good.
    Lite and fun and all that, very PG.
    Jack Black was 100% himself, which is what he's best at. He's in almost every scene, so it's not boring.
    And they actually found some kids that are not annoying or unbelievable.
    I'm quite interested in finding out if the guitar player-kid was actually playing, because his finger moves were very convincing.
    And if it was him playing, i'm scared.

By semillama on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 07:34 pm:

I'm listening to Fishbone's "The Reality of My Surroundings" - an underrated album if ever there was one. Everyday sunshine, Housework, just a lot of good tunes on this album and the whole album just hangs together well.

By Rowlf on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 07:38 pm:

I'm listening to "Songs for Dustmites", the Steve Burns album...

he was the former host of blues clues, and the album was put together by members and producers of the Flaming Lips...

at this point, it is likely to be my album of the year... you can listen to the album in full, i still think, at http://www.steveswebpage.com

most recommended songs:
    Mighty Little Man
    Troposphere
    A Song for Dustmites
    Superstrings

By patrick on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 07:42 pm:

im listening to the sounds of my insides wanting to poopy

By dave. on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 09:43 pm:

yup, moonit. the very same hunnas. they were cool up until human frailty. they used to record at can's studio in germany. one of the few horn sections that i can bear. what is it about aussies and horn sections?

dougie, yeah i was referring to stuff like trios and quartets , etc. to be truthful, i do like some orchestral music. i think i might have the wrong idea about classical music. i tend to like the performers more than the composers. i dunno really why i don't like wind instruments. i mean, i like some jazz sax (skerik) and i like some organ music, just not necessarily in a classical style.

patrick, i'll check it.

By Lapis on Tuesday, October 28, 2003 - 10:13 pm:

Kazu, I just bought a cd of string Tool covers, I can burn a disc for you. They call it a quartet, but there's 4 violins, 3 violas, 2 cellos and a bass. Percussion isn't listed but there is a bit there.

No vocals.

I love covers done ina different genre.

By kazu on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:45 am:

That sounds interesting. Sure. Whenever you get a chance, let me know and I'll send you my address.

By Lapis on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 01:04 am:

I could make it right now. Is MP3 okay? I could put Black Heart Procession on there as well. Much of their stuff features piano and saw.

I don't listen to many strings generally, but every once in a while I find something new to adore.

By kazu on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 01:17 am:

kewl. mp3 is fine. i just e-mailed you. let me know if you don't get it.

By Lapis on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 01:27 am:

got it.

By Dougie on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 02:25 am:

Speaking of covers, I just saw on Amazon that Christopher O'Riley (a classical pianist) has a cover album of OK Computer (!?) I'm scared to buy it before I hear a few samples of it.

Jeez, recommendations -- where do I start?

OK, for brass inspiration, check out Janacek's Sinfonietta, 1st movement. If you can find a recording of it by the Chicago Symphony, tant
    mieux.

For winds -- did you ever see the movie Amadeus, where Salieri is describing Mozart's Wind Serenade #10, 3rd movement -- how it starts out slowly and reluctantly, almost like a hurdy-gurdy starting up, and then high above it, an oboe appears out of nowhere, and offers a simple downward scale, which hands off to a clarinet, which beautifully completes the phrase -- you can almost picture the music coming off the screen? You can't go wrong with that.

Re organ, can't really help you out there. I'm sure Mark would have some good recommendations though.

Kazu, my 2 all-time favorite "3-4 instrument type stringy stuff" pieces are actually 5-6 instrument type stringy stuff -- specifically Schubert's String Quintet in C, and Brahms' String Sextet in B flat. For the first, my favorite recording is by the Melos Quartet with Rostropovich, and for the latter, my favorite is with the Amadeus Quartet with William Pleeth and Cecil Aronowitz. I think they're both still in print. Some of the most glorious chamber music ever written IMO. Especially especially especially the 2nd movement of the Schubert -- time stands still in this sublime suspended animation piece of music. The first violin plays a very simple but achingly beautiful melody above the four others accompanying him. Definitely a "headphone lying on the floor" piece of music.

Re saxophonists, I think my favorite has got to be Paul Desmond. You know, the dude who played with Dave Brubeck -- Take Five and all that. I love his sound, so airy, and his playing is so understated. Check out his album Easy Living, he's got one of my favorite renditions of "Here's That Rainy Day".

In terms of symphonies, basically you can't go wrong with any of the great composers' fifth symphonies (including Beethoven and after.) Beethoven, Mendelssohn, Sibelius, Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Tchaikovsky, Mahler, Schubert. Weird huh?

HTH

By moonit on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 03:58 am:

hee The Datsuns. They're a kiwi band. You guys probably say it funny like you say mazda funny.

By Lapis on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 04:01 am:

What saxophone does Paul Desmond play?

I have to admit I'm a bit of a snob about saxophones. I won't listen to soprano, tolerate alto but absolutely love tenor and bari.

It sounds like you prefer chamber to full orchestra.

By Dougie on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 04:21 am:

He played alto sax.

No, I don't necessarily chamber to full orchestra -- it's all good.

By kazu on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 10:35 am:

"The first violin plays a very simple but achingly beautiful melody above the four others accompanying him. Definitely a "headphone lying on the floor" piece of music'

sounds like my kind of thing.

By Antigone on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:05 pm:

Kazu, want some mp3's of brass music you might dig?

By kazu on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:12 pm:

absolutely. thanks.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:22 pm:

i dig Brubeck and Co. incl Desmond.

But when it comes to alto....no one rocks it like Parker. None. No how. No way. Nada.

How many ways are there to say "Datsun" or "mazda" ?

Dah T sun (as in shine)

My mom used to drive a datsun 210.

Mazda Maaaaaaa OZ duh

hey moonie, i thought of you last night as ive been reading about a huge migration of CAians to your land in a recent LA Times Magazine article. In fact you prime minister it seems is practically rolling out the red carpet because of the money we bring and investment into your land but there is a small but growing movement of NIMBYs. In the states its Not In My Back Yard as in, you arent going to build that nuclear reactor in my neighborhood where as over there its Not In My Blue Yonder. The article cited the fact that CA and Kiwiland share very much in terms of topography and climate. I have to admit the idea of being able to buy land and a house for about half the price with twice as much scenary is damn tempting.

I have to

By Spider on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 12:38 pm:

I'm listening to the Lonesome Organist right now. I really dig the solo accordion pieces, "Walking to Weston's" and "The Blue Bellows," the latter in particular.

By TBone on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 01:16 pm:

Dougie and Lapis: Have you heard "Strung Out on OK Computer"? OK computer done with strings.
    I'm downloading it.
    I just discovered that I have trouble properly writing and saying the word "concerto" at the same time. I either want to write "concherto" or say "conserto".
    I think it's because I thought it was pronounced "conserto" for a long time.
    I'm that way with words occasionally. I learned most of my vocabulary by reading, so I didn't always know how to pronounce them.
    For example, the written word "genre" and the spoken word pronounced "zhonra" were two different words in my head, with slightly different meanings. That was, until I tried to spell the word as I had heard it spoken. Blew me away.
    Anyway, I'm hunting down most of y'alls suggestions on the peer-to-peer so I know what to buy.

By Spider on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 02:57 pm:

TBone, look for things by Rachel's. (Note: not The Rachels, or whatever, but Rachel's. No joke.) They're a modern chamber classical group type thing that has produced some really nice avant-garde instrumental music. Their latest album is called "systems/layers" and I listened to it on my roadtrip -- incredible when driving through the desert at night, let me tell you.

Samples

Their album called "The Sea and the Bells" is also fantastic.

By Spider on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 02:59 pm:

Patrick, when I was at my family reunion, my great-uncle John told the story of how Dave Brubeck (John's patient) told him that his brother (my great-uncle) Joe was one of the five best viola players alive. This was in the '60s I think. I've never heard my uncle Joe play, but, dude. Dave Brubeck. That's gotta be a high compliment.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 03:13 pm:

he's nerdy smart that way so yeah i would think so.

By Lapis on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 05:09 pm:

The group that does "Strung Out on OK Computer" is the same one doing the Tool tribute.

You'll get to hear it.

By TBone on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 05:33 pm:

Rachel's has a track called Packet Switching. Cool.
    Download faster!

By Rowlf on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 05:44 pm:

i keep trying to get rachel's songs off of kazaa, or find their site on google, but i never have any luck, i just get stuck with quotes from Friends, or people named rachel or some shit.

anyone heard the Rapture album yet? I heard all this hype about it, then heard some of it.

The hype is undeserved.

By wisper on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 06:40 pm:

"How many ways are there to say "Datsun" or "mazda" ? "

Datsuns- dat sns
    (i don't pronounce the U at all)

Mazda- maws dah

By patrick on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 07:24 pm:

do you really pronounce the U when you say "Sun" Its the very same pronounciation, as far as I've always heard.

Maw?sdah?

as in Paw like a puppy?

again, i've only heard it pronounced one way, the same way the pronounce it on the commericals and otherwise.

stop mucking shiyat up with that Canadian accent lady.

By dave. on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 07:36 pm:

did you see the new datsun commercial?

how bout the commercial with ween song, "ocean man"?

By Rowlf on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 07:40 pm:

pronounce the U? but what U? U sound as in "oo", "you", or "uh"?

I say sun the same way you'd say "this is my son", with the U making the short "uh" sound...

Mazda = mahs daw... say it like you were making fun of harvard, like "hah vahd"

when you see someone phoenetically use "ah", do you think AH as in "at" or AH as in "aw" - because "ah" to me should really be "aw" or else it gets confused.. "Say aw for the doctor... AWWWWW..."

Canadians dont say "a boot" by the way

they say "a boat"

I say "roof" as "ruff" and dont even notice...

people from New Brunswick, where i was born, say "dem" instead of "them" and "dere" instead of "there". its not slang, it just happens.

when Canadians do have a thicker, more noticable accent (other than French people talking in English, which sounds weird), its usually really from the prairie provinces, and its pretty much the same as the "minnesota nice" dialect you see in the movie Fargo.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 07:48 pm:

exactly

(polka) dot (my) son

granted the U is extremely brief and when trying to communicate pronounciation here, I can see why it might be easy to desribe the U part as nill.

I know a couple of Toronto natives and they have a slight accent, usually detectable in the Os of various words.

By Rowlf on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 08:10 pm:

oh btw, to me

Datsun = dat sins

Canadians generally hold their O's longer.

By agatha on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 10:46 pm:

How about the car commercial with Modest Mouse?

By wisper on Wednesday, October 29, 2003 - 10:48 pm:

okay, i've done some hard listening...

Mazda- moz da (moz/maws, said the same)

'oz' like the magical land of.

i say the U in sun, and the I in sin, but in 'Datsuns' the U just gets erased. I've been told i'm a bit of a mumbler.

Also, i've never heard the word out loud before, so i have no reference.

By Dougie on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 11:35 am:

I would imagine the aussies pronounce it Mazz-da and Datt-sin.

BTW, does anybody know anything about Sigur Ros? Recommendations please. Is it new-agey stuff? I saw it at Border's yesterday, but they didn't have it at a listening station. I was tempted, but figured I'd wait. I was also really tempted to get Allman Brothers Live at Fillmore East remastered, but it was $30, and for some reason, I felt really frugal yesterday, and didn't get anything.

Kaz, if you get the Schubert and/or Brahms, let me know what you think.

Also, I remembered a CD I have at home by the Kronos Quartet -- it's a sampling of "modern classical" music, with stuff by Nancarrow, Glass, Sculthorp, and it's got their rendition of Purple Haze, which although it doesn't do much for me, is interesting, and kind of put them on the map. You guys might check it out. I'll post the title when I get home.

By patrick on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 12:26 pm:

Sigur Rose.

shit.

you'll have to decide for yourself.

i think its crap but a lot of people, seem to like it....the way many people loved that Enigma shit about 10 years ago.

By Spider on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 12:45 pm:

I don't like Sigur ROs much either. I thought what I heard of them was pretty uninteresting.

They're not new-age, but they're, like, twinkly and stuff. They sing in Icelandic. I don't know, go listen to their music on Amazon.

By TBone on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 01:04 pm:

I got Rachel's Systems/Layers (downloaded). Just started listening to it. I like it so far.

By Spider on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 01:16 pm:

Glad to hear it.

By kazu on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 01:32 pm:

I like Sigur Ros, but they aren't spectacular. Their album () is better than Agaetis Byrjun, but still nothing special.

I'd recommend Mum, Finally We Are No One, over Sigur Ros any day.

By kazu on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 01:34 pm:

Maybe that should be ( ). Anyway, if there was music made for putting ME to sleep or distracting me from the noise in coffee shops, but only so I can concenctrate on reading, that would be it, which probably says something about how interesting they are.

By dave. on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 01:50 pm:

mum is great. upon repeated listenings, i skip over the 4th and 5th songs. they don't really belong on the album anyway. their first album is good, too. way more glitchy.

sigur ros are pretty boring.

By kazu on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 01:52 pm:

"upon repeated listenings, i skip over the 4th and 5th songs"

I knew there was a reason I starting taking music cues from you. ;)

It's still not here. :(

By dave. on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 03:50 pm:

i waited for over a month for a cd from a zauction. very unsatisfying.

but how cute are mum?

i really shgould have gone to see them when they were here but it was a weeknight and i have raging social phobia when it comes to stuff like that.

By Rowlf on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 06:04 pm:

I really like Sigur Ros, but you can only listen to it in certain situations and times... I like listening to it while on the computer. It helps me concentrate.

I also like it late at night in the car, but it distracts wisper or makes her sleep, so thats not an option anymore.... its just awesome for driving into a city at night on a highway with bright lights..

Mum i like, but I dont listen to them very often.

I dont think of it as new agey any more than i think Mercury Rev is new agey... i think they share a lot in common...

By dave. on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 06:19 pm:

monolake's "cinemascope" is awesome for city-at-night driving or just plain ol' night driving.

i like sigur ros music. it's the vocalist that puts me off. i should like it if only because i like so many other odd, unconventional singers.

By patrick on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 06:23 pm:

Mum.

new to me.

im only getting around to checkin out the decline of british sea power.

they make think of throwing SubHumans and the Boo Radleys and tossing them in a blender.

i kinda dig it.

By semillama on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 06:38 pm:

British Sea Power's album really gets better after you listen to it a few times. At least it did for me.

By semillama on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 07:20 pm:

By semillama on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 07:44 pm:

Go here and listen to Rocked By Rape, which is a fucking awesome rap tune using cut up clips of Dan Rather announcing for the lyrics:
    http://evolution-control.com/sounds.html

Also check out the video for Rebel without a Pause, if you care to wait a little for it to load.

By Rowlf on Thursday, October 30, 2003 - 08:34 pm:

By Dougie on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 03:22 am:

Well, I guess I'll pass on the Sigur Ros then.

By moonit on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 06:25 pm:

I think Dougie got it right.

Mazduh and Datsin.

I would record me saying those words and email them, but thats like far too technical for my liking.

Patrick we had something in the Press this morning about how Cali people are buying up land along our foreshores and creating executive housing. One dude was bitching about how we don't treat him well, but another dude from a different state was saying about how the whole town knew his name and that he'd been treated really well. (he was world famous in Nelson)

By Rowlf on Friday, October 31, 2003 - 06:26 pm:

Well, I guess I'll pass on the Sigur Ros then. "

is it so hard to sample a song of kazaa, or find a video for them on Launch.yahoo.com?

By kazu on Wednesday, November 5, 2003 - 08:55 pm:

it's here dave. and it has the songs you mentioned. i just finished opening it. assessment TK.

By Rowlf on Wednesday, November 5, 2003 - 10:33 pm:

i bought Neko Case's "blacklisted" album yesterday...

if you dont know her she's the singer of the New Pornographers...
    fucking AWESOME... C&W for people who hate C&W...

By dave. on Thursday, November 6, 2003 - 12:33 am:

neko case is from tacoma. i never met her. she was probably 13 or 14 when i left town. apparently, she was quite the local scenester before she emigrated to the vancouver, b.c. scene.

pj harvey sounds pretty good on the new desert sessions 9-10. dean ween's on there, too, as well as mark lanegan and twiggy from marylin manson.

i also appear to enjoy the new posthuman album, "lagrange point". undecided on my morning jacket and the decemberists.

kazu, i hope i didn't overhype and it kicks your ass. i hate when shit gets overhyped.

By kazu on Thursday, November 6, 2003 - 09:36 am:

holy shit. that's all I have to say about the album. even if I didn't like it so much, I wouldn't consider your excitement about it as "hype"

By Spider on Thursday, November 6, 2003 - 09:39 am:

I want to tell you...
    about my hometown...
    it's a dusty old jewel in the south Puget Sound...
    where the factories churn...
    and the timber's all cut down...
    and life goes by slow in Tacoma...

I love Neko Case.

By dave. on Thursday, November 6, 2003 - 11:37 am:

sweet. oh and, upon repeated listenings i skip over the end of all things and all lies. other than that -- solid.

look how old they are now.

By kazu on Thursday, November 6, 2003 - 11:59 am:

old, but not corpse-like with skin that looks like it's melting of their faces, like so many other aged rockers.

it's the kind of album that makes me want to go out and kick some ass. Also makes me wish I still played my bass guitar.

Speaking that, primus isn't coming to atlanta. I almost cried when I saw that and decided that I am going to forbid sem from talking about it with my brother over thanksgiving...at least when I am around.

By Dougie on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 11:32 am:

Kaz, did you check out any of that music above? If so, what did you like, and what didn't you?

By kazu on Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 05:21 pm:

Dougie, I was just thinking I had to thank you for the recommendations. Unfortunately my mother didn't get me either the Schubert or the Brahms and I was a little disapointed. She did, however, get me Prokofiev's 5th and Vaughn Williams 5th and The Lark Ascending and I like them, especially the Prokofiev.

The Prokofiev also came with Symphony number one, Lieutenant Kijé Symphonic Suite, Overture in B-Flat major, "American" Overture, Music from Cinderella, and Suite from the The Love for Three Oranges (I like that name). I haven't listened to many of these carefully so I am not sure what I think just yet.

By Clay on Friday, May 7, 2004 - 10:44 pm:

Sorry to have to correct...I've never taken heroin
    in my whole life...and if I had -it would be very
    uncool to say so...you don't know who reads
    this shit...some asshole who hates my guts
    could point a finger at me and I get a dog's
    nose up my ass at the airport...people can say
    or do what they want...but to mention my name
    in the same sentence as a felony is not
    cool...no one ever mentions my
    misdemeaners

By dave. on Saturday, May 8, 2004 - 03:12 am:

spider, have you heard the gutter twins?

By agatha on Saturday, May 8, 2004 - 01:20 pm:

Why are you sorry, Clay?

I'm working on not apologizing for things that I shouldn't these days. It's hard.

By kazu on Saturday, May 8, 2004 - 01:37 pm:

Do you have almost an automatic "I'm sorry" response to things? Even things that don't warrant an apology of any kind? I used to do that.

By agatha on Saturday, May 8, 2004 - 02:37 pm:

YES.

By kazu on Saturday, May 8, 2004 - 04:04 pm:

i know how that is.

right now i am nursing a nasty cut i got while washing a blade for my food processor and typing with one hand.

By Gee on Saturday, May 8, 2004 - 05:22 pm:

sometimes my friends will complain about something bad happening to them and I'll say "I'm sorry." and they say "Why? You didn't do anything." and I say "I'm not accepting responsibility for what happened to you. I'm just sorry it happened to you."

that's my story.

By moonit on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 02:40 am:

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Email address?

By TBone on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 03:44 pm:

I find that "Bummer, dude" results in less confusion than "I'm sorry."

By semillama on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 04:19 pm:

Gee - stick around!!!! We missed you!

By Gee on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 12:43 pm:

I have the same email address. GEE at YorkU dot CA

look how I try to avoid spam. like it matters.

I feel so blah lately. I feel trapped. which is weird, because things are nice. I'm just confused. what I want is to go away somewhere where nobody knows me and I can be anyone I want (or no one at all) and figure out what I really want and not just what I think I should want.

By Gee on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 01:05 pm:

that also how you find me on messenger, if anyone loves me enough to do so.

yay me and my violent mood swings of late!

By V.v. on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 12:26 am:

Gee,you need to get your self to the best place on earth,myself i may move there in a year or two...see you in Crete.

By patrick on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 12:26 pm:

there are gremlins all over this place. im so confused.

By V.v. on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 11:13 pm:

...adds to the fun, nothing like a Sorabji rollercoaster...

By Clay on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 04:47 pm:

And,hey,Patrick;whataya mean-Buffi's a
    megabitch-what she ever do to you?
    Something horrible I hope to rate be tagged
    like that...keep hearing this kind of crap for
    years,but no one ever backs it up w/facts.
    Heres your chance to enlighten me.

By patrick on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 04:57 pm:

facts?

she never loved me clay.

there. ive said it.

By Antigone on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 05:18 pm:

Love is overrated.

By semillama on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 05:24 pm:

Do you realize how far back you have to scroll to find when Patrick mentioned Buffy, not to mention to even find out who she is?

It's called "quotation" folks!

although I guess that shows Clay read the whole damn thread, or at least up to that part before his incandescent rage at Patrick at dissing the angel above his bed made him burn out on the mouse wheel to vent his frothy vengeance.

By patrick on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 05:34 pm:

i think its funny because i tend to believe that Clay really is Clay from the Subsonics.

Hey clay, though im thousands of miles from Atlanta now...i still have your band sticker on my bumper right next to WRAS sticker.

By Spider on Tuesday, June 29, 2004 - 06:40 pm:

I am in love with the Killers. A band out of Las Vegas that sounds like they're from England.

I love them. I love their sound. I love that they sound like a happy early Cure. They have scratchy synths that sound good, and the singer's voice is piercing and strong and right in my range, and he's cute to boot, and the melodies are catchy and a blast to sing along to, and I unabashedly love them.

And if you come along and tell me they're crap....don't care. I'll still love them.

Forget what they said in SoHo, leave the oh-nos out. And believe me, Natalie, listen, Natalie, this is your last chance.

By Clay on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 10:47 pm:

that's all you gotta do to be a megabitch?
    not love- you?sheesh...lots of people hate my
    guts- but,who cares?it doesn't make 'em
    worthy of being tagged.why would anybody
    love anybody,anyway?
    ya got a bumpersticker-that's great.none of
    you gossipy backbiting shit talkers rate being
    a megabitch...but now that I think about
    it,maybe that's a complement...I take it all
    back.and this is not Clay from the
    Subsonics,he's completely illiterate...he just
    dictates and I write it...I'm his secretary

By . on Wednesday, July 14, 2004 - 02:53 pm:

No,your just an idiot.

By on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 02:03 pm:

Oh,lost your name now?That is a bit
    chickenshit.

By on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 02:04 pm:

So,I lost mine,too.

By on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 02:06 pm:

You'll talk a load of crap...and when I call you
    on it you crawl under a rock.Har-har...I bet
    you're scrapin that bumper sticker off.

By Rowlfe on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 08:37 pm:

I had been looking forward to the Outkast movie coming out on Friday.

I got the album/"soundtrack" today.

and now I'm no longer looking forward to the movie.

Real mediocre stuff.

By dave. on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 08:50 pm:

i was afraid of that.

By Rowlfe on Tuesday, August 22, 2006 - 11:56 pm:

yep. in the end it basically turns out Gnarls Barkley are Outkast now

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact