British Sea Power

sorabji.com: What are you listening to?: British Sea Power
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By semillama on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 11:43 am:

So, Sunday, I was at Virgin records and was listening to music on the headphones they have there. I was listening to this crazy electronic 80's sounding but highly melodic stuff and decided to buy it. Only one album was left on the corresponding shelf, and it was British Sea Power's debut, "The Decline of British Sea Power." It turns out that this album was NOT the one I was listening to on the headphones, so it took me a while to decide if I liked it, since it wasn't what I expected to hear. I've given it a few listens and have decided that they are a damn good band and this is a damn good album. Hooray for serendipity!

They are in the same genre as Joy Division and Echo and the Bunnymen. If you like Interpol and that stuff, you'll like this album. It rocks and it storms and it drifts.

the AMG review of the album:
    "The Decline of British Sea Power isn't your conventional pop record and it's not particularly a pop-sounding record from an English band. With garage rock ruling overseas and Brit-pop still making the charts in the new millennium, a four-man band from Cumbria arrived with a provocative post-punk sound brazen enough to blast away other indie rock fashionistas like Interpol and the Walkmen. The hypnotic album opener "Apologies to Insect Life" is just as intense as any Joy Division song and Echo & the Bunnymen's early work. However, British Sea Power will not be characterized as a parody. For musicians only in their early twenties, British Sea Power are intellectually complex with their inquisitive lyrical tales about Russian literature, Czech history, and influential figures of time. To call them eccentric would deem them quirky and that's not all. They're musically spontaneous and frontman Yan composes erratically charming songs reflecting nature in its most literal and perplexing senses. From the dreamy wonder of "Carrion" to slagging off the royal regime on the brassy punk-toned "Remember Me," The Decline of British Sea Power is vehement in color and substance. The 13-minute mind trip "Lately" could very well be the album epic; however, "The Fear of Drowning" is the genius standout. It's rich in space and time with its cascading guitar work, intrinsically dark with its own life lesson of having independent thoughts far away from socio-political ideals. British Sea Power are so convincing, it hurts. The Decline of British Sea Power is a conceptual effort that breathes hard in passion. With an unlikely rock blend of classicism and narrative, British Sea Power has composed a brilliant album that's nearly perfect. It's not exactly pop, but it might as well be. — MacKenzie Wilson"

By patrick on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 12:44 pm:

i like their name, for sure.

By Spider on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 12:52 pm:

Me too.

By Spider on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 01:02 pm:

I just listened to the soundclips on Amazon, and I wish I had known about this album when I was on my road trip -- it sounds like it would be perfect driving music.

By Rowlf on Wednesday, October 15, 2003 - 05:56 pm:

yeah, i got a few mp3s from them a couple weeks ago.

damn this fucking self imposed CD ban. not till November.

I recommend everyone download "apologies to insect life", right the fuck away.

By Spider on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 12:03 pm:

Last week, I picked up an EP by the Decemberists (whom I had heard such good things about, and who sadly disappointed me), John Parish's (producer and collaborator w/PJ Harvey) solo album called "How Animals Move" (sort of hit and miss, but the good songs are real good), and Mary Timony's solo album called "The Golden Dove."

I love Mary Timony. Download her song called "Ant's Dance."

My brother got the new Rachel's album, "system/layers," which -- if you're into modern classical music -- is the shiznit. Ahem.

By Rowlf on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 04:01 pm:

i just heard a decemberists song

i am annoyed.

very annoyed.

By Spider on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 04:21 pm:

I hear you, man. I read this review and was mightily intrigued:

Much of the joy of Her Majesty the Decemberists comes from leader Colin Meloy's love of language. He indulges in archaic diction and extravagant alliteration; and he revels in wonderful sounds in phrases such as "I know I need unique New York." Meloy is a quirky, wordy storyteller. He peoples the Decemberists' songs with vivid, fascinating characters: marauding pirates, orphan "chimbley" sweeps, tumbling gymnasts, latent-homosexual World War I soldiers.

The Portland, Ore., quintet uses acoustic guitars, accordion and organ - with occasional horns, strings and surf-style electric guitar - in songs that recall hootenannies, English ballads, and indie-rock rave-ups, sometimes simultaneously. With the band's equally charming debut, Castaways and Cutouts, The Decemberists heralds the voice of a unique new writer.

Too bad they sound like every other boring alt-country band.

By Spider on Friday, October 17, 2003 - 04:22 pm:

(Though, to be fair, I got their EP, not their new album.)

By Snowman on Sunday, October 19, 2003 - 08:45 am:

You should all check out Jellyfish' 4 disc compilation Fan Club. Or their only two albums Bellybutton and Spilt Milk from -90 and -93.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact