Sorabji Project #4b - The Mix

sorabji.com: What are you listening to?: Sorabji Project #4b - The Mix
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Saturday, February 7, 2004 - 12:04 am:

Since a lot of us are enjoying the use of link{http://www.slsknet.org/,Soulseek}, I thought it would be neat if we could recommend single songs (as opposed to whole albums) for the rest of us to download. Maybe songs you can't stop listening to today, or maybe songs you think everyone needs to hear at least once, or whatever. Even if you think we might know these songs. Just recommend away.

I want you to download:

Autechre - Caliper Remote
    Front 242 - Flag
    The Faint - Glass Danse (Paul Oakenfold remix)
    Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Red Eyes and Tears
    Girls Against Boys - Zodiac Love Team

These are all songs I like to listen to at night, especially in my car at night.

By Spider on Saturday, February 7, 2004 - 12:12 am:

Oops, wrong song. It's Autechre - Arch Carrier.

By Spider on Saturday, February 7, 2004 - 10:32 am:

Duh, I should have known better than to start this on a Friday night.

By Rowlfe on Saturday, February 7, 2004 - 07:45 pm:

Steve Burns – Mighty Little Man
    The Glands - Livin Was Easy
    Fun Lovin Criminals - Stray Bullet
    Boy - French Diplomacy
    Constantines - Shine A Light
    Blood Brothers - Every Breath is a Bomb
    The Shins - Saint Simon
    !!! - The Step

By Rowlfe on Saturday, February 7, 2004 - 08:39 pm:

By Spider on Sunday, February 8, 2004 - 01:47 pm:

I like those Glands and Boy songs.

By Spider on Monday, February 9, 2004 - 05:19 pm:

Aw, why does no one want to participate? Just list songs you like, dammit. You don't even have to have Soulseek.

By dave. on Monday, February 9, 2004 - 06:58 pm:

try these for now:

boards of canada - julie and candy, the beach at redpoint, pete standing alone

autechre - zeiss contarex, xylin room

cLOUDDEAD - the velvet ant, apt a side b

decemberists - california one, the bachelor and the bride

lali puna - come on home, bi-pet

By dave. on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 03:11 am:

i tried to d/l you guys' songs but only got one of what i haven't already heard. the front 242 song. i didn't really dig it too much but i could see it as a good night-driving song if it came on the local college station while i was out and about.

i wanna add:

boards of canada - sunshine recorder, the devil is in the details, amo bishop roden

the devil is in the details is way creepy. in fact, the whole geogaddi album has a creepy, corrupted innocence feel to it. especially when compared to "music has the right to children", which evokes nostalgia for childhood in many listeners. boc have a penchant for back masking, weird cult/occult references, math, and have shown an interest in things branch davidian. http://www.speakeasy.org/~adbrown/boc.html

i'll list some more rockin stuff soon.

By Spider on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 10:00 am:

That Front 242 song was like my introduction to industrial music, back when I was in 9th grade or so. The middle part where it gets all chaotic and obnoxious gets on my nerves, but the other parts are neat.

I downloaded your songs, Dave, last night, but I didn't get to hear them yet. Tonight.

By Rowlfe on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 07:52 pm:

song of the day

The Notwist - "pick up the phone", from the excellent album "neon golden"

the first listen was "this is alright.".. I disdained how it bordered on emo, although it has regular indie and even alt/country influence... but theres also something funny going on in the beats, and some electronic tinges here and there... the album is awesome, it works in a lot of different ways...
    I then noticed that unlike actual emo, this singer's lyrics arent cheesy, and he sings in a way that can actually be moving and sad, without sounding whiny or pretentious like Dashboard or whoever would...

Yeah, so now I've only listened to it 3 times and I think its amazing... I have heard that their latest EP isnt so good though.

By dave. on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 08:06 pm:

that's an excellent album. although it does sort of trail off by the end.

i like "pilot" the best.

"pick up the phone" has a good video.

By dave. on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 08:10 pm:

wait, i mean "pilot" the least.

"trashing days" the best.

By Spider on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 09:18 pm:

I love that Notwist album. Every song is good, esp. "Trashing Days," like Dave said, "Pilot," "Off the Rails," and "Consequence." I think "Consequence" is my favorite song on there.

Even "One With the Freaks," which would be horrible in someone else's hands, is decent.

"and he sings in a way that can actually be moving and sad, without sounding whiny or pretentious like Dashboard or whoever would..."

Word.

By Spider on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 09:19 pm:

Duh, I meant to point out that I disagree with you, Dave, and think "Pilot" is good. I did read your post, I swear.

By dave. on Tuesday, February 10, 2004 - 11:54 pm:

pilot is good, i just like it the least. it's that new order bass riff.

By dave. on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 12:27 am:

damn, i'm striking out on youse guys' songs.

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 12:34 am:

some more:

Kaito - Should I
    The Walkmen - We Have Been Had
    Pulp - The Trees

and featured song of this post
    Dizzee Rascal - Fix Up Look Sharp

this guy could be big

By Spider on Wednesday, February 11, 2004 - 09:58 am:

I love that Pulp song! That's probably the only song on that album I do like.

By Spider on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 09:48 pm:

Hey, can any of you (dave?) recommend some Nomeansno and Add N to (X) songs for me to download?

By kazu on Saturday, March 20, 2004 - 11:43 pm:

I would recommend everything on Wrong by nomeansno...the end of all things is kind of cheesy though. you could skip that one if you had to narrow it down.

big dick is among my favorites:

It's Catching Up
    The Tower
    Brainless
    Tired Of Waiting
    Stocktaking
    The End Of All Things
    Big Dick
    Two Lips, Two Lungs And One Tongue
    Rags And Bones
    Oh No! Bruno!
    All Lies
    Life In Hell
    I Am Wrong

By Tired on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 04:19 am:

Manitoba - Hendrix with Ko

By Rowlfe on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 09:40 am:

Patrick Wolf - Lycanthropy
    Franz Ferdinand - s/t
    the Walkmen - Bows and Arrows, esp. "The Rat"

By Spider on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 07:40 pm:

Thanks, Kazu!

On another note, can someone recommend some sinister techno, à la VNV Nation? (But, like, not VNV Nation.)

By Spider on Sunday, March 21, 2004 - 07:41 pm:

PS. The best (IMO) Franz Ferdinand song is not on their s/t album. It's called "Love & Destroy" and has a great hook.

By Rowlfe on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 12:02 am:

Thanks. Just got it.

I dunno abou being their best song, but its definitely one of their top 4

By Spider on Monday, March 22, 2004 - 01:45 pm:

Yeah, how about I amend that to "my favorite."

Jacqueline, Auf Achse, and Darts of Pleasure -- those are good too.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact