The Streets

sorabji.com: What are you listening to?: The Streets
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 09:06 pm:

Sometime last year I saw a video for 'lets push things forward'.

I dug it.

He's getting press now and brought him back to my attention. I guess he has a new album. I kinda dig it. Its so British its perfect. A pastey white fellow with neat hair, delivering neat and innovative words, over finely crafted beats that remind me of the likes of The Clash and Madness and other late 70s, early 80s britska. It so much better than the mainstream shit comign out here. American hip hop can be so fucking flamboyant, idiotic, loud and over the top. The Streets...in some ways remind me of an old band mate that dave recently reminded me of....Prefuse 73 aka Scott Heren. Not only does he look similar but the type of beats, dub and otherwise are favored by both.

Heard em? Like em?

By patrick on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 06:49 pm:

god dammit!!!

By kazu on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 07:03 pm:

I was thiking of buying it tonight actually.

By patrick on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 07:07 pm:

maybe i will too.

By kazu on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 07:12 pm:

I think I heard him on 88.5 or something. I hope it's what I think it was because I liked that.

By patrick on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 07:19 pm:

he has a couple of cool videos.

the reviews seem mixed on his new album. i may pick up the first one, first, as that has some of the tunes i like.

launch.yahoo.com has 3 videos of his.

By kazu on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 11:19 pm:

I like it so far, it's not genius, but it's refreshing and fun. I love how it's just so goddamn assfucking british. The photos in the liner notes make him look like Mr. Bean's hiphop nephew. I can imagine him performing on the Young Ones, if that show was still around.

By kazu on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 11:29 pm:

Oh my, I'm listening to DRY YOUR EYES and it's just lovely, sort of sad, sort of sweet.

By kazu on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 11:37 pm:

Oh and by *fun* I meant, I'm having fun listening to it...it's not quite as upbeat as *fun* might imply.

By Rowlfe on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 01:35 am:

I downloaded it to preview it... havent listened yet

By dave. on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 01:38 am:

me too.

By dave. on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 03:15 am:

mmmmmmmmmmmmm. . . no. don't like.

By kazu on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 05:39 am:

I had a feeling you wouldn't, though I'm not sure which album or videos you downloaded. This ones really growing on me though. Some of its a little cheesy, but not obnoxious. I also find I'm digging the narrative element of the album more than the music, this kind of thing works for me.

By Rowlfe on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 09:27 am:

Its okay so far, but as far as british rappers go, I definitely definitely prefer me the Dizzee Rascal

By patrick on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 12:22 pm:

i don't know dizzee rascal but he and the streets are performing here soon, apparently.

By sarah on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 05:28 pm:

brittish rappers. isn't that oxymoronic?

By Spider on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 07:09 pm:

Aw, but they're so cute when they act tough.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact