The Kinks

sorabji.com: What are you listening to?: The Kinks
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Spider on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 03:05 pm:

Where have these guys been my whole life? They're fantastic! Why am I only learning about this now?!

I'm downloading songs at random and have not yet heard a single album in its entirety, but from what I've heard, it seems like "Face to Face" and "The Village Green Preservation Society" are great albums. Is this generally considered to be true? What are some songs I must hear?

List of songs I love thus far:

Victoria
    Shangri-La
    Do You Remember Walter?
    Animal Farm
    Sunny Afternoon
    Well Respected Man
    Long Tall Shorty
    Waterloo Sunset
    Strangers
    Picture Book
    Dandy
    Dedicated Follower of Fashion

By Nate on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 03:20 pm:

oh, fuck me.

By Nate on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 03:43 pm:

that doesn't really read as intended. you can probably ignore me.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 03:44 pm:

I was going to ask what album that was off of, but then you spoiled it.

By Dougie on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 03:45 pm:

Waterloo Sunset has to be one of the most beautiful pop songs of all times.

"Dirty old river, must you keep rolling
    Flowing into the night..."

By Dougie on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 03:57 pm:

Had to look it up -- get the Kink Kronikles. It's a good "best of." Playing it now. Thanks Spider!

By Spider on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 04:06 pm:

Thanks, Dougie, I'll look for that.

I can't take "Animal Farm" off repeat.

...I'll take you where real animals are playing
    And people are real people not just playing...

By Nate on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 05:01 pm:

yea, i'm a schmuck. but the offer stands.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 06:58 pm:

Uh, thanks? I guess?

My mind is still reeling from this discovery. Was I living in a cave for the past 20 years? How did I not stumble across the Kinks before this, not even in college, when I was buying CDs by the bucketful and trying to catch up on 500 years of musical history in the span of four? This is shameful.

Some of these songs I recognize from covers (Of Montreal did "Do You Remember Walter?" ; "Animal Farm" was covered by the Judybats, etc.), and yet it didn't occur to me to investigate the originals when I was first exposed? Whatever, brain.

I'm also listening to the recently-discovered-by-me !!! (or Chk Chk Chk, or whatever -- what a silly name). Another band I'm getting around to five years late, though not nearly as exciting or worthwhile. After soaking in Ray Davies' graceful lyrics for the past couple of days, this dude sounds like a tool. Good beats, though.

By droopy on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 12:10 am:

only just now discovered the kinks.

finds jazz boring.

hmmm.

one of my fondest memories from when i was in high school - and spider was in like first grade - was sitting around a campfire, drunk and stoned with my buddies, while strumming a guitar and singing "apeman".

By J on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 01:14 am:

Dougie you were right on about Waterloo Sunset one of my all time faves and I have that vinyl.
    I have always loved the Kinks and am so happy that a youngin like Spider can appreciate them.They've been around as long as The Beatles and the Stones,but they get no respect.
    I always loved Lola,"Well I'm not dumb but I can't understand
    Why she walked like a woman and talked like a man
    Oh my Lola la-la-la-la Lola la-la-la-la Lola"

By jack on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 08:36 am:

fancy

better things

By Dougie on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 11:35 am:

Hey J, did you know Elvis Costello has a new album? Just ordered it off Amazon. Droopy, I can picture sitting around a campfire singing apeman at the top of my lungs whilst drunk and stoned. Sounds fun.

By Spider on Thursday, May 22, 2008 - 05:19 pm:

Hey, age ain't nuthn but a number.

The Kinks' "A Well Respected Man" makes me think of XTC's "Making Plans for Nigel" -- another song about the crushing banality of the (British) middle class. Elvis Costello has got to have a song or two on that subject, but I can't think of any right now...can you?

By Nate on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 02:50 am:

I just realized that, because of Primus, I've always thought "Making Plans for Nigel" was a Peter Gabriel song.

That really makes no sense under examination.

By Spider on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 07:23 pm:

It's kind of unusual for an XTC song. I don't know if this comes through in the Primus cover (which I'll have to look for -- I really like this song), but it sounds like there's a Police (or, could be, Peter Gabriel) influence in the instrumentalization.

By Spider on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 07:25 pm:

BTW, we watched "Hot Fuzz" last night, and I may have squealed a little when I heard the Kinks' "Village Green Preservation Society" on the soundtrack. Perfect use of that song!

By Droopy on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 07:31 pm:

i spent $60 on CDs today. no kinks, though.

By Nate on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 08:49 pm:

The Primus cover album Miscellaneous Debris is great.

They cover "Intruder" by Peter Gabriel, which is where my weak linkage formed.

I'm full of unexamined false-beliefs.

By Nate on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 09:08 pm:

interestingly, listening to the song again, i've dredged up a tangential memory:

this was in the age of dial-up BBS, and there was a kid with the handle 'nigel' who hung himself. take the level of asshole you've observed in me and multiply it by sexually frustrated 17 year old, add excessive caffeine and you get several weeks of me crossing every line i could fine in ripping on this poor dead kid and the people who liked or loved him.

my lesson in humility came when i found myself in the wrong house with the wrong people figuring out who i am. i ended up stuttering a confession and apology while a weathered old biker pointed a shotgun at me. he accepted my apology and told me to keep my nose clean and then kept everyone else from kicking the shit out of me while i scrambled out of there.

By droopy on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 09:23 pm:

the combination of "making plans for nigel" and nate's post about the kid who hung himself made me think of a donald barthelme story.

"Some of us had been threatening our friend Colby for a long time, because of the way he had been behaving. And now he'd gone too far, so we decided to hang him. Colby argued that just because he had gone too far (he did not deny that he had gone too far) did not mean that he should be subjected to hanging. Going too far, he said, was something everybody did sometimes. We didn't pay much attention to this argument. We asked him what sort of music he would like played at the hanging. He said he'd think about it but it would take him a while to decide. I pointed out that we'd have to know soon, because Howard, who is a conductor, would have to hire and rehearse the musicians and he couldn't begin until he knew what the music was going to be. Colby said he'd always been fond of Ives's Fourth Symphony. Howard said that this was a "delaying tactic" and that everybody knew that the Ives was almost impossible to perform and would involve weeks of rehearsal, and that the size of the orchestra and chorus would put us way over the music budget. "Be reasonable," he said to Colby. Colby said he'd try to think of something a little less exacting."

this, in turn, made me think that i wish i had bought some charles ives music today.

By Nate on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 10:46 pm:

it was a textbook on charles ives that my fingers found when grasping blindly in the dark.

this was college, and my roommate had assumed i would sleep through the quiet thunder of him pounding his girlfriend a few yards away. i woke to the warm swamp smell of her cunt, reached for the first thing i could find (the ives biography), and hurled it. i had hoped to hit one of them, but the book was heavy and i managed to land the book on the floor next to his bed, where they had set their beers.

this i barely remember, and he remembers not at all. we then had a loud argument, that the neighbor girl recounted for us the next day. good for a laugh.

we all messed around with that neighbor girl at some point. her name was vicky.

perhaps, short for victoria.

and back we are to the kinks.

By Spider on Friday, May 23, 2008 - 11:07 pm:

I've only been to the symphony once, and that one time, I heard Charles Ives' "Central Park in the Dark" and Ravel's piano concerto in G.

Charles Ives makes you work for your pleasure, a good trait in a composer.

By J on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 04:33 am:

Dougie,yes I know Elvis has a new album,thank you hotcakes for remembering I'm a fan.He's opening for the Police tomorrow night and I'm not going cause my husband is a asshole and that's all I'm going to say.I'm so gd mad I can't see straight.Anywho,I hoped you listened to the album before you bought it cause North was a real dissapointment to me.
    I bought Brian Wilson's Smile without listening to it,I don't care what the Rolling Stone said,it fecking sucked.I swiped fecking from you Dougie.Love

By J on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 04:40 am:

"Another song about the crushing banality of the (British) middle class. Elvis Costello has got to have a song or two on that subject, but I can't think of any right now...can you? "Costello based Armed Forces’ central track, “Oliver’s Army,” on the premise that “they always get a working-class boy to do the killing.”

By sarah on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 11:03 am:

I believe that you and me last forever
    Oh yea all day and nighttime yours, leave me never
    The only time I feel alright is by your side
    Girl I want to be with you
    all of the time all day and all of the night
    All day and all of the night!
    All day and all of the night!

By Dougie on Friday, October 10, 2008 - 11:31 am:

Ray Davies' autobiography, "X-Ray" is pretty good.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact