Tool lyrics, in case you're still wondering

sorabji.com: What are you listening to?: Tool lyrics, in case you're still wondering
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Lester on Friday, April 3, 1998 - 11:42 am:
    Someone above started asking for the meaning to Tool's "H" and "46+2" :

First of all, if you know anything about Tool and their philosophy, you're supposed to come up with your own meanings. There is no one set interpretation (don't you always hear Maynard saying "Think for yourself" in interviews? Yes.)

However, "46+2" _does_ have some pretty standard interpretations (check Tool's FAQ for better descriptions than this following one). There are two standard ways you can interpret "46+2", using either evolutionary theory or Jung's archetypes. Evolution says this -- we have 44+2 chromosomes. The form of the human before homo sapiens sapiens had 42+2. Therefore, 46+2 represents humans at the next stage of their development. So here the theme of the song is progression, evolution, getting rid of the old you and finding the new you.

However, there are a lot of references to the "Shadow" in the song. The Shadow, according to Jung, is that which is the antithesis of yourself, and yet all of us have a Shadow within ourselves. The Shadow, traditionally, is considered one's "dark side," though this is not necessarily the case. Now, Jung believed that unless we recognize our Shadows and accept them (embrace them instead of denying them) we will be very unhappy individuals. For example, if someone has an image of themselves as being very proper, lady- or gentleman- like, virtuous, pure people, one's Shadow is very sensual and pleasure-loving. If that person continues to deny that he or she (probably she, if you'll forgive me for saying so) has a sensual side, then that person will have a very warped view of sex (seeing it as dirty, humiliating, sinful, etc.) Embracing the Shadow, in this case, would not mean that she has to become promiscuous or anything, just that she has to recognize that she is a sexual being and that there is nothing wrong with that.

SO, in the song, the person embraces his Shadow and is able to move on and become a new kind of person with this new knowledge.

"H," on the other hand, is more open to everyone's individual opinion. To me, it seems to echo "Sober." The narrator (not necessarily MJK) is continuously haunted by his past or himself. He says something like "Days before I still feel you touching me, changing me." (sorry if this isn't accurate) The snake is the thing in your past (or the aspect of your personality or a person you know or whatever) that you are eternally trying to escape, and yet it keeps popping up in front of you, refusing to go away. "And I feel this coming over like a storm again, considerately." Meaning, it overtakes you before you know it. It tempts you because you'd (consciously or unconsciously) like to go back to that state, or have that addiction, or behave in a certain way, or fall back into madness, but you can't let yourself. You can't allow yourself to give in to whatever it is you're trying to escape.

Tool has really great songs, and you should all check them out (or just go to one of their websites). A lot of people (who are idiots) just like them for their sound. If you really listen to what they say, though, you'd be surprised with the insights into yourself and the world and life that you come away with. Their songs have all these layers to them: you can listen to a song for 50 times and realize what it really means on the 51st listen, and then by the 101st listen, the song has a completely different meaning to you. It's really neat.

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Friday, April 3, 1998 - 12:22 pm:
    OH! Is THAT what it means?

:)

By Dave on Friday, April 3, 1998 - 01:10 pm:
    Tool do have some really great songs. If only they weren't so full of themselves.

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Friday, April 3, 1998 - 01:39 pm:
    Wondering who in the sam hell "Tool" is. Am I so "old" and "unhip" at 28 (soon to be 29 YIKES!) that I have no clue?

Come on. I know who KC & Jo Jo are but Tool?

By Nate on Friday, April 3, 1998 - 02:19 pm:
    Tool is an incredible band. Full of themselves or not, their music and lyric is excellent.

Last year I bought AEnema and played it over and over and over for about a month. In an odd way it helped me through my biggest hells to date.

My roommate last year bought REM's "Adventures in HiFi" (or whatever that album is called.) He played it over and over. I started hiding it. He said "Hey, you played Tool over and over again." I said, "That's different." Because it is.

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Friday, April 3, 1998 - 02:57 pm:
    Ok. Now I'm even more confused. I guess I don't listen to the "right" radio stations. I suppose "Tool" is Modern Rock?

By Blindswine on Friday, April 3, 1998 - 03:00 pm:
    those sick visceral fuckers in tool are "full of themselves" because that's what their art requires. if they weren't so self-absorbed, they wouldn't be able to communicate the common intricacies and nuances within all of us... not that we share the same quirks, but we do have many of the same types of reactions to the unnatural socio-cultural environment many of us exist in... whatever...
    let me put it this way.
    i don't even *like* much "rock" music.
    but i own a tool cd.
    why?
    cuz both lyrically and musically, those boys are the shit.
    'nuff said.

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Friday, April 3, 1998 - 03:36 pm:
    Is that the same as "da bomb?"

By Brad on Friday, April 17, 1998 - 03:32 am:
    roger that jim

By Sariah on Sunday, June 21, 1998 - 10:19 pm:
    Hi! I just wanted to say that Tool is the best band ever and they have some of the best lyrics i've ever heard. THEY KICK ASS! Well that's all i gotta say about that, except if your gonna complain about the music and lyrics and the band itself then keep your comments to yourself!!

:)

By Overlord of Hell on Sunday, July 12, 1998 - 03:56 pm:
    Tool. enough said.

By
Joel M on Monday, September 7, 1998 - 09:46 am:

I just wanted to tell Jim the pyjamaboy that Tool is not some sort of new, hip "modernrock"-band.
    Definetely not! I live in Sweden and have never heard any of their songs on the radio. Iīve been listening to Aenima almost every day for almost two years. If I were a religious person MJK would be my GOD! Heīs got a voice of an angel. Just listen to "Pushit"(I most persuade you another way). Just waiting for Aenimaīs follow-up.
    Thatīs all I had to say...

By Wisper on Tuesday, July 6, 1999 - 04:14 pm:

I've got some advice for you, little buddy.
    before you point your finger
    you should know that I'm the man.
    I'm the man and you're the man and he's the man as well
    so you can point that fucking finger up your ass

all you know about me is what I sold you
    (dumb-fuck)
    I sold out long before you even
    (heard my name)
    I sold my soul to make a record
    (dip shit)
    then you bought one

why do I love those lines so much? not like the usual Tool poetry dream underwater sound...he sounds so angry...angry angel Maynard....

hope you got an album or an mp3 by now Jim-boy, you're missing out here.

(constant...over-rated....stimulation....numbs me...but I would not want you any other way)

half the fun is figuring out what the hell he's singing.

Opiate, all you beautiful sorabjians

By Yanni on Saturday, January 19, 2002 - 11:17 am:

Now i have been listening to TOOL for over 6 months now. Before Then i was not really into music a whole big bunch, but when i first heard tool on the radio, a surge of energy went through my body. so i went out and i bought lateralus and undertow. now i was surprised that every song on that cd was good.now other band they may have 5 songs out of 15 that are good that you can enjoy but TOOL is different. now i i own every cd of theres. there music opened my eyes to a new sight of looking at the world so I would never say that the band was full of them selfs. If they where full of them selfs they would not be making this great music for us to hear. TOOL FOREVER

By Zac on Saturday, February 23, 2002 - 12:33 pm:

I have been listening to Tool for about a year and a half. The first song I heard was AEnema. at first no one understands Tool. After a while it grows on you.
    My intepritation of Tool's songs is slightly different from others when it comes to H. At first I thought it was refering to heroine. "Days away I still feel you toaching me changing me and concideratly killing me." The lyrics "My blood before me begs me open up my heart again" also led me to belive what I thought.
    As I listen to It more I now think it could be refering to the chimical symbol for Hydrogin. When Maynard says "and I fell this coming over like a storm again" could be making a gesture twords crying. Water combines with Hydrogyn and forms tears. That is what Lachromology is about(the study of crying) and that is Tool's beliefs.
    Always form your own interpritatoin of these songs . I am still working on Lateralus, which is one of their best albums next to AEnema.

By Star on Saturday, February 23, 2002 - 10:59 pm:

Um...Joel dear...the "follow up" for AEnema came out LAST YEAR...of course..maybe not in Sweden, for some odd fucking reason...as Zac mentioned it is called Lateralus.
    LISTEN TO THE CRIES OF THE CARROTS REV.MAYNARD!
    And for all of you who just jumped on the TooL bandwagon..if you don't have Opiate you don't have life..if you haven't had sex or done hard drugs to any tool album...your missing out...

By semillama on Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 02:04 pm:

Maybe if you kept away from the "hard drugs"
    (whatever that means to you), you would have
    noticed that Joel posted in 1998.

That's four years ago, ok?

By Nate on Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 08:32 pm:

speaking of four years ago, i remember when opiate first arrived at the college radio station where i dj'd... o, TEN years ago.

when you were 7 (almost 8!) star, dear.

dumbass. bandwagon jumper.

By eri on Sunday, February 24, 2002 - 09:07 pm:

I have only heard of Tool. A friend of mine from work (how many years ago was that? O.K. about 8 years ago) had gone to a Tool concert. Never heard of them. She had a great time. Other than that I don't know their music. Then again I don't know much about hard drugs anyways. Not my thing. Hope they don't go hand in hand.

By Spider on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 08:30 am:

I'm listening to A Perfect Circle right now, myself.

By patrick on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 12:16 pm:

i met the husband of a very prominent designer this weekend. his wife supposedly has an addiction to heroin, via eye drops.

i had never heard of such a no fuss method of taking in heroin, but i suppose for the chic, there are no tracks, no smoke and no snorts.
    but then again, its your eyes man.

i also was chatting on and on with a guy about music only to find out he was the guitarist for the Lily's. I praised their first album 8 years ago but didnt say anything about the stuff they've done since, as its not very good.

By Enquiring_kappa_receptors on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 04:13 pm:

heroin eye drops? compatable with contacts? or need contacts to supply them?

By Hostile_mu_receptor on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 04:19 pm:

fuck you, just stick it in your ass!

By Delta_receptor on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 04:20 pm:

can't we all just get along?

By patrick on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 05:13 pm:

eat me cockmouth

yeah thats him

i dont think you understand how exciting this was for me.

here i am geeking about records (he schooled me that indeed "I Dont Care If You Go" Velocity Girl single on Slumberland was NOT the first single by them, but rather the third. Here i was thinking i had a copy of the very first and very best.HA!), telling him my indie rock crush on Sarah from Velocity Girl, led to me to play music, which led him to say he was in a band, when he revealed who, I, in my tipsy stupor was floored. Here i was outside a downtown hotel bar, having a smoke with a member of the Lilys, whos album had courted many a drunken, high stupors, many a sex-filled evenings, many mellow evenings.

I was also a bit shocked (apprently im not the only one) that the Lilys arent english. They are from Philly. Its an easy mistake to make considering they hit the scene right around the same time with MBV, Ride, Lush, Spacemen 3, Slowdive and Stereolab....all english, all with comparable sounds. Its an easy mistake.

A bit later as we were leaving he was chatting with nico and apparently he fondly regarded me as a giddy school kid dorking about music and such. Thats fine, I felt as such and didnt mind.

By patrick on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 05:34 pm:

By Czarina on Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 12:00 am:

Well,Patrick,thats pretty damn cool. Laginappe,for living on the west coast!

By Dez on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 12:13 pm:

upon reading this message board I was just wondering why all of you think Tool is full of themselves. Please tell I'm "dying" to know the answer

By dave. on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 01:18 pm:

tick

tick

tick

tick

tick

tick

tick

tick

tick

tick

tick

tick

tick

tick

tick

tick

tick

tick

tick

tick

tick

tick

tick

tick

By Spider on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 09:58 am:

Dave, did you type that or just cut and paste?

By dave. on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 11:30 am:

i typed 3 of em. copied and pasted the rest.

By Nick on Wednesday, May 5, 2004 - 12:31 pm:

Tool is one of the few group of artists that has produced timeless creations. Meaning, you will not find one song from them that fits only into a certain time period or genre/generation. From where they speak is infinite, and is within all of us. That is not to say they are above everything or everyone. They simply are more in touch with the true nature of themselves and the universe than most other beings, which enables them to consciously change and to help others realize who and what they are (they are a 'tool' for evolution, lachromology, consciousness...thus the name Tool). Their art is strongly connected to and a part of the process of the collective unconscious becoming conscious. That is why many people have a strange feeling or connection when they listen to them deeply. It is as if Tool is the sound of yourself becoming more one with yourself. Their music is the release during this process of evolution. They are surely not the only artists that are strongly connected to themselves and this process (which is actually one in the same), they are just perhaps the most prominent and influential to come along in quite some time.

Oh yeah, and they rock like you wouldn't believe.

By dave. on Wednesday, May 5, 2004 - 12:40 pm:

oh yeah, step away from the crack pipe.

By kazu on Wednesday, May 5, 2004 - 12:43 pm:

I had a dream about Maynard James Keenen the other night. He was part of a group of guys (I think it was the rest of APC) that I was going on some kind of video game adventure with. But it was like a virtual reality world that we stepped into. Before we left, we went into this drug stores for supplies, but all they had was water, twix bars, and some other kind of orange drink.

By semillama on Thursday, May 6, 2004 - 10:03 am:

The name Tool also refers to a PENIS. So you know.

Low-brow, high-brow, all is good.

I bought a Judas Priest greatest hits tape at the gas station for a lark the other day, $5, "Prisoner of Pain". I popped it in the 4runner and one of my employees got all excited and started raving about how timeless Judas Priest's music is.

Keep that in mind.

Not that I'm dissing Tool, mind you...

By Chuck on Friday, May 7, 2004 - 12:50 am:

Dave is a moron, and probably smokes crack. But anyway, I don't think Tool is the only band that makes timeless music, and I can see how lots of artists could seem timeless to different people. But good points anyway.

By Vyvyan on Friday, May 7, 2004 - 01:07 am:

I like Tool, but MJK has the kind of face that invites a smack from time to time. lay off the daveman

By dave. on Friday, May 7, 2004 - 01:34 am:

so, nick a.k.a johndoechachacha, you're saying that, maybe in 30 years, we'll be treated to as-advertised-on-tv k-tel timeless music classics featuring tool?

timeless music? that's the kiss of death.

By Listenlaybackandletittakeu on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 12:00 pm:

u can lead a horse to water but u cant make it drink it....
    new tool album due in early months of 2005
    much heavier than Lat.
    10-12 tracks
    once MJK finishes with APC in June this year he'll start laying vocals to pieces of music that have and are being created.

By David on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 08:06 pm:

you people are realy lame and need to get a life!

By Simon on Sunday, October 3, 2004 - 02:17 am:

Stop being critical and be inspired by Tool

By Joey on Wednesday, January 12, 2005 - 04:48 pm:

can somebody break down the song "aenima" and tell me what it means? im kind of curious as to what yall think.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact