the rat pack

sorabji.com: Last movie you saw: the rat pack
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Sorabji on Saturday, August 22, 1998 - 10:57 pm:

on hbo.

it just ended.

that was not bad at all. i'll look forward to seeing it replayed every 5 minutes for the next 30 days.

i'm going out for beer, does anyone need anything?

By Nate on Saturday, August 22, 1998 - 11:56 pm:

i don't think i could swallow what'shisface playing sinatra.

if i had a damn tv i'd be more up to date on these things.

By Sorabji on Sunday, August 23, 1998 - 12:36 am:

try whatshisass as kennedy.

or don't.

By Quidam on Sunday, August 23, 1998 - 02:02 am:

Sorabji -

I could go for some Salt-n-vinegar chips.

By Markus on Friday, June 11, 1999 - 04:10 am:

William Peterson as JFK was jarring, but Ray Liotta as Sinatra was cringingly bad casting. I kept expecting him to break into his Something Wild tirade.

Those aside, the flick was well done, and the rest of the casting quite nice, most prominently a superb job by Don Cheadle, though the actors doing Lawrence and Martin were also good.

By Swine on Friday, June 11, 1999 - 07:50 am:

i kept wanting to see sammy davis jr. snap on stage and start kicking sinatra's smarmy ass.

but it never happened.

go figure.

By Cyst on Friday, June 11, 1999 - 08:20 am:

has anyone else here read don delillo's "underworld"?

there's a brilliant chapter near the start about some famous october 1953 ball game between the giants and the dodgers on the very eve of the start of the cold war.

the next day the new york times gives both stories, the outcome of the game and that the russians did their first atomic bomb tests, equal play on the front page. and the next day a character hears someone mention "the shot heard 'round the world," and he thinks they're talking about the atomic bomb, but he's talking about a home run.

anyway, when delillo was doing research for the book, he read that j. edgar hoover had shared a box with toots shor, jackie gleason, and frank sinatra. so he has hoover find out about the tests during the game. and hoover comes across a page from that month's life magazine that shows a bruegel painting called "the triumph of death" -

http://metalab.unc.edu/wm/paint/auth/bruegel/death.jpg

- which hoover is fascinated by, especially the bottom-left detail of a skeleton about to rape a woman's corspe.

anyway, the imagined conversation between hoover and sinatra is fascinating. anyone who is interested in these people should read this section of the book (which, I believe, was separately published as a novella back in the early '90s).

By Cyst on Friday, June 11, 1999 - 08:34 am:

princeton professor michael wood's description of the chapter:

It recounts the famous baseball game of 1951, and it does it in such a way that you don't need to know or care about baseball to catch the suspense and the dizzying implications of the game's conclusion. If you do care about baseball you are presumably eye-deep in legend as soon as you realise where you are: the now demolished Polo Grounds, New York, 3 October. We get the following points of view mingled with many others: that of Cotter Martin, a 14-year old black boy, who has jumped the turnstiles to get in for free; that of Russ Hodges, a radio commentator; those of J. Edgar Hoover, Frank Sinatra and Jackie Gleason who have arrived together. Gleason is playing hookey from a rehearsal for The Honeymooners , has been drinking hooch and stuffing himself with junk food, and is sick on Sinatra's shoes at the climactic moment of the game. Hoover is preoccupied, because an agent has just crept up to him and told him about the Russian bomb. Old jokes, like the one about Speedy Gonzalez, are glimpsed in moments of their early life, and Life magazine not only brings Bruegel into the scene, it shows a picture of Sinatra with Ava Gardner. All this stuff has fallen indelibly into the past, but DeLillo retrieves it by the sheer energy and movement of his prose, and his shifts of angle, and by threading into the story of the game - the Giants are losing, it seems they cannot win, they win at last on an unlikely home run from Bobby Thomson - the story of the fight for the ball Thomson hit into the stands. After much struggle, and being chased along the streets until he makes it home to Harlem, Cotter manages to keep the ball. But then his slippery, drinking father sees money in it, and once the boy is asleep makes off with it and sells it. Throughout the novel, in a series of cross-referenced moments, the ball reappears, a collector's item passing through various hands, coveted mainly, it seems, for the least obvious of reasons. Not by Giants fans, in memory of the great occasion, and not for money or curiosity, but by Dodgers fans, as a tangible trace of the instant of loss, defeat snatched from the jaws of victory. Loss is important in Underworld , a tune played in many keys. The home run ball stands for history in its most immediate and elusive sense: you can handle it, you can touch time past, but it's also just an old ball. It's significant too that no character in the novel knows the whole story, how Cotter got the ball, and how his father sold it. So history, as detectable record, the reverse trail back to 1951, stops one stage short of the game itself, at the man the father sold the ball to. Only fiction bridges that last gap.

By Quidam on Monday, July 7, 2003 - 04:47 pm:

Seriously. Where the fuck are my chips?

By Quidam on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 01:53 am:

Fuck it. I don't even want them anymore.

By Quidam on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 01:55 am:

Seven years, Mark! 7!

By agatha on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 02:05 am:

has anyone else here read don delillo's "underworld"?

Ooh, I loved that book.

I'm sorry you never got your chips, quidam.

By Quidam on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 02:19 am:

I haven't, sorry. But you know what? It's strangely comforting to see you still posting here. Didn't you have a turkey farm or something? Or maybe you just lived in the middle of nowhere and had some animals. I don't know. Hi, Agatha.

By dave. on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 03:22 am:

quidam, you're thinking of sheila and the ducks. and the vicodin hounds. which is an awesome band name.

where's sheila?

By V on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 05:54 pm:

agatha,regarding "underworld",the book is superb,the movie not too bad.Movies miss out too much of the fine detail.,same as "2001"....as you may know,I love anything Vampire.

By droopy on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 06:48 pm:

wow, i never thought of that. add space vampires to the mix, and "2001: a space odyssey" actually starts to make sense.

By Fuzzy on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 07:12 pm:

Except that "Underworld" wasn't based on a book.

By V on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 06:02 pm:

...did I say it was based on a book? it makes no odds if it is or not,you get more in a book.As for "2001" the effects were superb,the scrip rubbish.As far as I know,90% of the budget went on effects.,but it was a great film in its day.......and droopy,as normal you come up with good ideas.,in a parallel world some place you are a script writer.

By sarah on Friday, February 3, 2006 - 03:35 pm:

mark.

By V on Friday, February 3, 2006 - 07:30 pm:

sarah,as a posting,you last was shit...................................................................................................................come on,post something smart,you can do it when you want.

By V on Friday, February 3, 2006 - 07:39 pm:

look, most days v goes through shit,on Sorabji I expect to be amused,at least.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact