The Other Sister

sorabji.com: Last movie you saw: The Other Sister
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Jim aka PajamaBoy on Monday, March 1, 1999 - 08:19 am:

I only went to this movie as a favor to a friend. We wanted to do a movie together, but we have EXTREMELY varying tastes. I would never have seen this had he not asked. And I'm SOOO glad I did. What a cute, darling little movie. My friend works with mentally retarded people and wanted to see if the movie would be appropriate for his "guys." He said that while the portrayals were not completely accurate, he enjoyed it as well.

It stars Juliette Lewis and Giovanni Ribisi as the young couple, and Diane Keaton and Tom Skerrit as Lewis' parents. All give outstanding portrayals.

Most of the newspaper reviews did not like the movie saying it was too sentimental, and strictly a vehicle for garnering Oscar Noms. I have to ask though, isn't it the dream of every actor to turn in a performance worthy of an Oscar? Clearly the leads in this movie studied hard. I'd vote for them!

By R.C. on Monday, March 1, 1999 - 11:30 pm:

I'm glad you liked it. I was hoping at wd be as good as the trailers. I plan to see it this wknd.

Damn PJ -- "The Other Sister" AND "Analyze This"! Yyou caught ALL the flicks this wknd/ huh?

Well, I did rent "Permament Midnight" (a little sparse on plot/but Ben Stiller was quite good) & "Dangerous Beauty" (far better than expected/ esp.for a costume drama) over the wknd. But I zeeked on "Living Out Loud" & it's gone from the $1.50 theatre but not out on video yet!

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Tuesday, March 2, 1999 - 06:36 am:

R.C., I got free passes from work to see "Analyze This," and a friend took me to see "The Other Sister." Know what trailer is looking REALLY good? Clint Eastwood's "True Crime."

I kicked myself for not seeing "Living Out Loud" too.

I can't wait til I buy a VCR. I'm gonna get SO caught up on my movies!!! Shit, I still got like 60 some odd movies from the AFI's list of 100 that I have to watch!

By Semillama on Tuesday, March 2, 1999 - 01:22 pm:

God I completely forgot about the $1.50 theaters! I used to go all the time when I lived in Pontiac/Auburn Hills. Now I really can't wait to get out of the woods for a while!

(No offence to those who liked the other sister, but they did make a pretty good joke about it last night on theDaily Show: "The role Juliette Lewis was born to play!")

By PetRock on Thursday, March 4, 1999 - 12:43 pm:

I heard that Snuggle the bear co-stars in this movie. True??? Cuz ya know, he's cute & cuddly, just like the movie.

I have no plans to go however as I've already surpassed my FDA daily requirements of sugar and corn for the year.

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Friday, March 5, 1999 - 12:24 am:

Pete: ya big lug!

By PetLug on Friday, March 5, 1999 - 01:23 pm:

LOL

LOL

LOL

LOL!!!

oh, and

LOL

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Saturday, March 6, 1999 - 10:03 am:

*grinning proudly*

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact