Austin Powers 2

sorabji.com: Last movie you saw: Austin Powers 2
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Kendo on Friday, June 18, 1999 - 04:41 am:

What sort of foul masochism leads me to attend a screening of the sequel to Austin Powers 2?

Did I really believe that I'd extract enjoyment from the same jokes?

..hmm, looks like I need a hobby. :)

By R.C. on Friday, June 18, 1999 - 09:42 am:

Was the 1st one funny? It looked really dumb to me/so I never bothered to see it. Now/the sequel is #1 at the box office. So I guess somebody must find it funny.

By Nate on Friday, June 18, 1999 - 11:10 am:

they were both funny.

goddamnit.

By J on Friday, June 18, 1999 - 12:04 pm:

And I,m planning on going to it,but then again I,ve been told I have the mind of a 15 year old boy,but then what does that mean coming from someone who has been married to me for so long?Was Elvis Costello in it?Was he good?I posted somewhere about this before the board went down,but never found the thread.

By Nate on Friday, June 18, 1999 - 12:32 pm:

Elvis Costello was wierd. They did these close ups of him giving uncomfortable smiles.

It scared me.

By Kendo on Friday, June 18, 1999 - 03:58 pm:

I'd agree that both movies are funny. I feel like the second movie didn't really have much to add. (Not that any sequel should be expected to add anything at all)

The first Austin Powers was sort of a sleeper hit that snuck up on most people. You thought it looked stupid, but you saw it anyway. It turned out it was much better than terrible. However, this time around, the public has a favorable view of the movie coming into the theater. I know that I hate it when I go into a movie thinking it's going to be good. More often than not, I'm disappointed. Nobody's fault but mine I suppose.

btw- any time you can get a good look at English people's teeth, it's funny! Hence, Elvis Costello's goofy grin making an appearance... :)

By Sarah on Friday, June 18, 1999 - 05:05 pm:

i didn't see the first one.

the recent one is simply one penis joke, from beginning to end. literally.

if you like penis jokes, you'll like the movie.

seeing Elvis Costello sing was worth the entire $7 i paid to see the movie. he always has been and always will be so far ahead of his time... a brilliant artist. and the short appearance of Willie Nelson rocked too.

By Margret on Friday, June 18, 1999 - 05:54 pm:

I would like to point out that every single "bit" involving Seth Green was uproariously funny with the exception of the roadkill thing. My fave from this one was the "I have a gun upstairs, I'll go get it, let's just shoot them now" mock-up of the whole batman style imprisonment/murder, and this one I really favored the early Springer thing. Seth Green rawks (too bad he's so very wee and so very young).

By Nate on Friday, June 18, 1999 - 06:07 pm:

the roadkill thing seemed to die not only in the crowd, but in the movie also. it didn't make sense that they left it in.

penis jokes are funny.

By Droogy on Friday, June 18, 1999 - 06:56 pm:

Lots of Elvis Costello fans here. If you play an instrment but aren't good at picking songs off records yet, you can go here:

east.isx.com/~schnitzi/ec/albums.html

(i just now I would fuck up putting it as a link)

for lyrics and chords to all of E.C.'s songs.

By MoonUnit on Saturday, June 19, 1999 - 12:44 am:

WOOHOO my buddy Jules scored us a double ticket to tomorrow nights preview (movie dont come out here until next week) YEAH BABY

By Agatha on Saturday, June 19, 1999 - 02:39 am:

my sister just got a pair of austin powers false teeth. we were scaring people all over vancouver, bc with them. she put them in when we were in a bar, and the waiter recoiled in horror when he saw them. it was very funny.

By J on Saturday, June 19, 1999 - 11:25 am:

I saw the sight that sold them,you go girl.I would shag Elvis in a New York minute.

By Gee on Saturday, June 19, 1999 - 04:03 pm:

I freaking hate Heather Grahem or however you spell her freaking name. She has nice legs, though. Was she Annie on "Twin Peaks" or was that someone else?

Elizabeth Hurley (in the first one) was very surprisingly good. Both movies did seem basically the same, but it was okay with me cuz I saw them both for the first time just this past week, so it was like one Long movie.

The Springer bits were hilarious, and Seth Green looks so much much prettier with red hair. How old is he?

By J on Saturday, June 19, 1999 - 11:26 pm:

I don,t know,but her head looks too big.

By MoonUnit on Sunday, June 20, 1999 - 05:50 am:

www.shh.com
    *lmao*

That was so funny. The whole zip it scene cracked me (and surprising the rest of the peoples in the theatre) up.

Austin rocks.

And Heather does look funny.

So does that Reese Witherspoon chick from Cruel Intentions. Whats up with her face?

By Spiracle on Sunday, June 20, 1999 - 02:22 pm:

god..i've been told to shczz so many damn times i can hardly stand it..

haven't even seen it yet

By Waffleboy on Monday, June 21, 1999 - 11:37 am:

i was real disapointed, all the cross promotions killed me, the jerry springer bit was the highglight, otherwise it was the same lines different people

By Gee on Monday, June 21, 1999 - 05:33 pm:

Oh my God, Reese Does look freaking weird! I always think she looks like she has a chipmunk face. I'm really not getting the latest standards on beauty.

By Markus on Monday, June 21, 1999 - 07:58 pm:

I'll be seeing Elvis Costello on Saturday. I'm heading up to the City for the all day New York Fleadh on Randall's Island. It'll be good to see my buddies the Saw Doctors again. No idea why the hell Hootie's going to be there, though.

Heather Graham has a weird intensity, especially around the eyes, that served her well in Boogie Nights. Or am I smoking crack here? I know I've seen her somewhere before, and am pretty sure that was it.

By J on Monday, June 21, 1999 - 10:27 pm:

Yea Swine,your right.

By Gee on Tuesday, June 22, 1999 - 02:00 am:

I'm pretty sure Everyone's smoking crack here.

By Margret on Tuesday, June 22, 1999 - 04:27 am:

I love Reese Witherspoon's features, precisely because it's a stretch to call her pretty in this super-model-attenuated whatever, and I don't want that frigging chick beauty thread restarted. Let's leave it at Reese Witherspoon looks interesting to me, and Heather Graham doesn't, and couldn't act her way out of a wet paper sack to boot (ok, actually she wasn't bad in Boogie Nights, but she was either REALLY poorly directed in AP2 or else she's got some sort of laudanum action going on). She's just, not, like my type...but that's a forgivable sin. That performance she turned in as Felicty Shagwell was pretty darned unforgivable. My cats are campier when playing with ever receding irony horizon around the subject of their objectification of me as the dinner machine and the meaning of love and human/non-human epistemological chasms.

By R.C. on Tuesday, June 22, 1999 - 05:13 am:

Reese Witherspoon looks like an eternal 12 yr old. She looks the way little sisters & best friends look. She will still look that way when she is 50. Which is what I like abt her.

Heather Graham looks like something the cat. dragged in. Altho' I'm sure my cat (& Margret's) wd have better taste than that.

By R.C. on Tuesday, June 22, 1999 - 05:21 am:

Summer movies always suck. I generally use the summer to catch up on videos of the movies that were in the theatres 4 mos. ago. that I refused to spend $6.00 to see. Or missed when they were at the $1.50 theatre(which now costs $2.00) just before they came out on video.

Other than "Eyes Wide Shut"/I can't think of a single movie I plan to stand in line to see at a theatre this summer. Maybe "Bringing Out the Dead". Just to see Nic Cage get back to doing some real acting/instead of playing the action hero. But those 2 are it.

By Margret on Tuesday, June 22, 1999 - 07:27 am:

Dude: Wild Wild West.

By Cyst on Tuesday, June 22, 1999 - 10:07 am:

heather graham is beautiful. plus she has a great little ass.

By Nate on Tuesday, June 22, 1999 - 10:57 am:

bingo, cyst.

By Waffleboy on Tuesday, June 22, 1999 - 12:52 pm:

i'll second that, she WAS the best part of the movie, hot pants and heather go real nicely

By Margret on Tuesday, June 22, 1999 - 03:02 pm:

I didn't say she couldn't weasel a drink out of me, Jeez, I said she's not my type and she can't act.
    Kelly Lynch, now...
    Ahh.

By Nate on Tuesday, June 22, 1999 - 03:03 pm:

like on that episode of the simpsons when homer goes to the lighthouse and then marge too and the lamp gets fucked up and the lighthouse goes dark and then the ship crashes and all those boxes of hotpants start washing up on shore and everyone is on the beach and all excited and the police guy who looks like a pig and has that funny kid as a son says "who likes short shorts?" and all these people say "we like short shorts!!"

oh god that was funny.

By Waffleboy on Tuesday, June 22, 1999 - 03:09 pm:

yes indeed, i was just watching that episode the other day.....

By Cyst on Tuesday, June 22, 1999 - 03:15 pm:

last night I discussed with my roommate how gentlemen do not prefer hanes.

By Nate on Tuesday, June 22, 1999 - 03:32 pm:

it's very true.

i can't even believe they call those things burgers. hanes burgers taste nothing like burgers.

By J on Tuesday, June 22, 1999 - 03:59 pm:

snot burgers

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact