rented 'Happiness'

sorabji.com: Last movie you saw: rented 'Happiness'
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Tesserae on Wednesday, June 23, 1999 - 03:26 pm:

This has got to be one of the most disturbing films I've ever seen...I saw it on Sunday night, and it gave me nightmares. Fucking heartbreaking.
    It was wierd, cause we were all sitting on the couch together when we started watching it, and slowly moved apart throughout the course of the film, and by the end, there was one person left on the couch, and the other two of us were on opposite ends of the living room. None of us wanted to talk about it after it was over. Just silence.

By Cyst on Wednesday, June 23, 1999 - 03:41 pm:

it's the truest movie ever. everyone who hasn't seen it needs to. if you want to know the truth.

By R.C. on Wednesday, June 23, 1999 - 05:21 pm:

I can't imagine anyone making a 'comedy' abt a pedophile. Or spending my $$ to see one.

I have no interest in seeing that portrayed on film -- no matter how 'devastating'. If I wanna know what it's like (from the victim's perspective/ which you never seem to get in the movies) there are plenty of people I know that I can ask.

By Cyst on Wednesday, June 23, 1999 - 05:45 pm:

it's not a comedy.

for me, it was the kind of movie that was so real that it made me slump down in my seat, cringing.

it's only funny in that way that my coworkers and I sort of giggled when a bird flew into the newsroom, crashed against the wall, fell behind some file cabinets, and we could hear it, wounded and trying futilely to escape. it was horrible and we didn't know what else to do. we joked about whether we should just let it die there.

(we didn't mean it, though, ok? a coworker performed a valiant, successful search-and-rescue mission.)

it's about how horrible it would be to have sisters. about life in a society where people grieve for dead tamagotchis.

I will never ever forget the opening scene. a plain jane is on a date with a fat redheaded guy. she tells him, "it's not me, it's YOU."

he won't let her off without a scene. he yells at her about how worthless she is right there in the restaurant. I want to close my eyes, to not be there. it's the worst-case breakup scenario right there in the fucking restaurant, in the fucking theater. it's him not letting her get away without admitting that the reason is that he's a big ugly balding geek.

later we have to watch a man announce his intent to divorce his wife of a zillion years. he wants his space or whatever.

it's not about a pedophile. it's about everything.

By Cyst on Wednesday, June 23, 1999 - 05:48 pm:

not a redheaded guy. the redheaded guy comes later. it's about how men are affected by beauty issues too.

it's one of the best movies I've ever seen.

By Cyst on Wednesday, June 23, 1999 - 05:52 pm:

it's about the unending chain of desire, how everyone wants someone better-looking than themselves, but that person, of course, has their sights set a bit higher still. and how in the end no one gets what they want.

By Sorabji on Wednesday, June 23, 1999 - 06:31 pm:

it's one of my all-time favorites.
    and not because of all the ejaculata.
    it's different to see victims of wrongdoings depicted as ordinary human beings.
    no one i know who has seen it has come away saying it was a movie about a pedophile.

By Cyst on Wednesday, June 23, 1999 - 06:37 pm:

here's the url for a good, though not altogether positive, review of the film, from new york magazine:

http://www.newyorkmag.com/Critics/view.asp?id=1722

(the last sentence: "Happiness is a brilliant, disturbing, but unstable and half-crazy piece of work.")

anyone who cares about modern film should see it. whether or not you like it or think the subject matter is appropriately dealt with or whatever, I think it's an important film. what great movies have come out lately? I can't think of any others.

By Waffles on Wednesday, June 23, 1999 - 07:21 pm:

wow the boards are dead today

By Dave on Wednesday, June 23, 1999 - 11:08 pm:

Waffles, I'm gonna kick your ass if you say something like that again. Some of us have lives and if you can't grok that, then you can just get lost, bitch.

By Dave on Wednesday, June 23, 1999 - 11:09 pm:

LOmotherfuckingL

By Dave on Wednesday, June 23, 1999 - 11:12 pm:

Agatha rolls her eyes at me. I'm just trying to jump-start the boards. I give up. I'm gonna go pop another boner at the oral sex thread.

By Dave on Wednesday, June 23, 1999 - 11:13 pm:

LOL but not really

By R.C. on Thursday, June 24, 1999 - 12:50 am:

Perhaps I must stand corrected. But the reviews I read abt it focused on the father preying on his son's young friends. And I knew I cdn't stomach watching that.

By Waffleboy on Thursday, June 24, 1999 - 01:52 am:

......as i read ".....i'm gonna keek yer arse!"

i had split screen images of "happiness"....."dave"........"oral sex"....."sodomy"........"meatmobiles"................baloney ponies....."

i am indeed frightened........i am .....

kisses dave

pssst.....dave......same time right?....jalapeno waffles again??????

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Thursday, June 24, 1999 - 08:07 am:

*grin* Ya gotta love the Waffleboy! His sarcasm rivals only mine. And Stevie's. Oh wait... Stevie's in a different forum.

Heh.

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Thursday, June 24, 1999 - 08:17 am:

Jeeez Louise. I heard about this movie, but I had no idea of some of the plotline. I guess nothing is taboo anymore. And the latest appears to be Tom Cruise kissing and possibly "doing" a dead chick in "Eyes Wide Shut."

Thumbs Up? Four Stars?

How about Four Barfbags?

By Dave on Thursday, June 24, 1999 - 10:23 am:

Awww. That wasn't very satisfying at all! Diminishing returns, I guess. Oh well.

I would like to see your picture, WB. I'm not being a smart ass, either.

By Waffleboy on Thursday, June 24, 1999 - 10:56 am:

.....my picture eh?...........

"Waffles, I'm gonna kick your ass if you say something like that again. Some of us have lives and if you can't grok that,then you can just get lost, bitch."

no your not being a smart ass........and I am not being sarcastic......I REEAALLYY WWAANNTT TTOO BBEE YYOOUURR FRIEND!!!

ever see that skit on Kids in the Hall, the guy who was tragically sarcastic, but it actually was a speech impediment that he was born with.....fucking hilarious

what picture are you talkin of Dave, or just a picture in general?

By Dave on Thursday, June 24, 1999 - 11:06 am:

I don't remember that skit but I liked the "Lopez" skit. Was I hallucinating again or did you not send some people a picture or 2? There was one with a gun?

By Waffleboy on Thursday, June 24, 1999 - 11:42 am:

oh yeah, gimme yer email and I will be happy to share my work with you, what have you seen and haven't you seen

By Dave on Thursday, June 24, 1999 - 12:12 pm:

I ain't seen nuttin' yet. Ever notice that it's work for artists and play for musicians? What's a jalapeno waffle? I can't stand being on the outside of an inside joke. I also can't stand paying 2.50 for a wretched iced americano at work because I didn't have time to stop at my usual place. Into the trash with you, foul beverage!

By Waffleboy on Thursday, June 24, 1999 - 12:18 pm:

a jalepeno waffle is just that, no inside joke, i am the waffleboy (with Karo syrup too)

ok, i forgot there was discussion, well since i am a musician and photographer, what should I call it?

check your email

By Dave on Thursday, June 24, 1999 - 01:56 pm:

Sounds nasty. Gimme dem fried taters!

You might as well call it what everyone else calls it. I just notice that every other word that comes out of an artists mouth is work and with musicians, it's play.

Nothing yet. Advice: resist getting a Hotmail account.

By Waffleboy on Thursday, June 24, 1999 - 01:58 pm:

i actually sent them from my excite acct. my hotmail acct. was being a pain in the asa and not loading the attachments, they should be there anytime now

By Wisper on Thursday, June 24, 1999 - 03:03 pm:

my fav Kids in the Hall skit is the one with Dave doing a monologue in a surgery scrub covered in blood, about how much of an incompitent doctor he is and how he got through med school by people passing notes to him.
    And the one with all the guys around a campfire drinking beer and reminising about their dead friend who (we find out by the end) they snuck up on and killed together.
    And the little shy man who is a slave to tea.
    And the entire 'Steps' series, because I know exactly which Toronto coffee shop thats based on.
    And who could forget the delightfull Buddy Cole, gay bar owner extrordinaire.

Aww fuckit, I love the whole god damn show.

but I've never seen "happiness".

I'm crushing your head

By WAFFLES on Thursday, June 24, 1999 - 03:06 pm:

I AM PINCHING YOUR FACE

By Wisper on Thursday, June 24, 1999 - 04:29 pm:

;)

send me pics too, waffles

By Gee on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 03:34 am:

Wisper - what coffee shop is "Steps" based on??

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 10:17 am:

well shoot, send the pics to me too Waffledude.

By Waffleboy on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 11:50 am:

OKEEDOKEE

By Dave on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 11:52 am:

Hey Waffleboy!

By Waffleboy on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 12:36 pm:

..uh...HI...did you get em dave, i sent them yesterday

By Dave on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 01:21 pm:

I didn't get 'em.

By Waffleboy on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 01:23 pm:

hotmail is to blame,

By Dave on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 02:14 pm:

GREAT GOOGLY MOOGLY!

I guess that's that. Another disappointing hotmail experience.

By Nate on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 02:29 pm:

i like the beaver spread pics.

By Rhiannon on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 02:44 pm:

Hey, can I see the pictures, too?

Try and send them to *my* hotmail account.

By Dave on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 02:51 pm:

You mean the delicious horseradish? I like that, too. But for spreads you can't beat Sierra Nevada Porter Mustard.

By WAFFLEBOY on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 03:03 pm:

YEAH NATE.........BEEAAAVVEERRRRR!!!!!

rhiannon, dave.......check yer email for beaver shots

By Waffleboy on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 03:07 pm:

cancel that, MY hotmail is being a pain in the ass, I will send them a bit later...

By Waffleboy on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 03:13 pm:

dave, rhiannon cher yer mail now, i just sent them through another server...fuck hotmail..

i miss cyst and her lanky legs already

By Dave on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 03:53 pm:

You trying to get me fired?! I'll have to wait and scope the beavs at home. BTW, I'd hate to be your f5 key. Ow, man! Stop poking me.

By Nate on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 04:14 pm:

Sierra Nevada Porter Mustard -- awesome. i have a jar of it in my fridge at all times.

By Waffleboy on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 04:14 pm:

fyi , there aren't really any beav shots, and yes I am trying to get you fired and come again with the f5 key, i don't even use it so i missed that one

By Rhiannon on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 04:20 pm:

Dear Sir:

I know I replied to you via email, but other people must know -- that second shot, of your wife from above, is *awesome*. You should find out a way to post it to the boards so everyone can see it. Unless she would mind, of course.

By Waffleboy on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 04:23 pm:

no she doesn't care, i had an informal showing in front of 400+ people and she didn't care, if she did she wouldn't let me shoot it to begin with, I don't have a way of posting it on the boards, i don't have a website, but thank you kindly for the words, care for more?

By Dave on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 04:33 pm:

Why no beavs? I was just commenting on how you always seem to be there with a reply mere moments after somebody posts something. It's not a criticism so don't get defensive. f5 refreshes your browser.

By Rhiannon on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 05:15 pm:

Send 'em in!

By Waffleboy on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 05:29 pm:

no, no i am not getting defensive, i just didn't get it, and yes, my work is as about as exciting as watching grass grow...so I am in such a position that my only source of entertainment (aka-looking busy for the boss without having the balls to tell him I am overqualified for this postion) is this here internet thing, most of my time spent on the internet is here at work outta sheer boredom,,,,,

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 06:22 pm:

I am thankful I did not get any "Beav" shots. But I liked that "gun" shot.

By Waffles on Friday, June 25, 1999 - 06:46 pm:

danke

By Wisper on Saturday, June 26, 1999 - 04:33 am:

hey Gee:
    there's a Second Cup down around church+wellsely (excuse my spelling) with steps in the front, just like the show, and in the summer all the lovely lads sit out there and regard the passers by.....I have many fond memories of being there and my boyfriend at the time getting whistled and hooted at.....tee hee.....

ooo...the GayDay parade is this weekend...how ironic...always so much fun....

(go here)
    http://www.kithfan.org/

By Rhiannon on Saturday, June 26, 1999 - 10:34 am:

Waffleboy: I just opened your second batch of pictures, and I was wondering if you ever considered entering any of them in the Communication Arts magazine? The "nicobody" and "selene" photos are great.

And your message caused hotmail to threaten me ominously, saying my account was too large and if I didn't delete some messages, they would. Aaahhh, fuck hotmail.

By Margret on Saturday, June 26, 1999 - 12:39 pm:

OK, OK, I wanted to hold out, I wanted to be the one who had no interest, I suspected the split beavie shot and I had fear, but just please e-mail me some nice art photos. please. I am repentant. Use my real e-mail, too. mebailey@peakpeak.com. Grazie, Waffles, et merci.

By Waffles on Saturday, June 26, 1999 - 02:33 pm:

sorry about that, well no I haven't submitted them to anyone electronically or otherwise, I am still a student and I want to build a stronger portfolio, although I am talking around trying to maybe score a record cover or book cover gig. But right now, I am not confident about my images just yet, the ones you see on your compuer are not adulterated by computer, I am kinda agaianst that rigt now, the scn quality doesn't do it justice....

sorry about hotmail. yeah they do suck and Margret, check yer email

thanks for the kind words though Rhiannon

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Saturday, June 26, 1999 - 06:18 pm:

bitte

By Sheila on Saturday, June 26, 1999 - 08:49 pm:

Could any naked pictures surpass my phantasies about yall? Would I want to find out? Are yall frightened that I would share?

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Sunday, June 27, 1999 - 08:48 am:

phantasies? try nightmares. heh

By Markus on Wednesday, June 30, 1999 - 05:58 pm:

Alright, I'm beggin'. It would seem that I'm the only one who hasn't seen'em. So if it wouldn't be too much trouble to send them to a long-lapsed photographer.....

By Waffleboy on Wednesday, June 30, 1999 - 06:44 pm:

ok, Marcus, I will send em,

By Spellcheck on Wednesday, June 30, 1999 - 06:45 pm:

sorry.......MARKUS

By R.C. on Wednesday, June 30, 1999 - 08:26 pm:

Share yr fantasies abt yr fellow Sorabjians, Sheila. C'mon -- let loose around here for once in yr life!

So long as no sex w/waterfowl is involved.

By Margret on Wednesday, June 30, 1999 - 09:09 pm:

Well, fuck a duck, R.C., there goes that image. I have always fancied myself a little Leda like. But what god would manifest as a gander?

By R.C. on Wednesday, June 30, 1999 - 11:55 pm:

LOL! I used to know someone who used that expression all the time! God, he was a twisted bastard. In the best sense of the word/of course.

As for God's gender as a duck/I shall have to defer to Sheila on that one.

By Cyst on Saturday, July 3, 1999 - 04:49 am:

hey waffleboy -

thanks for the f-stop/shutter speed diagram. did I tell you that already?

actually, thanks for saying you miss me.

I'm doing the kept-woman routine here in paris but am leaving for seville on july 15. tomorrow I'll spend my second fourth of july here. maybe I'll eat at mcdonald's to celebrate. they know I'm american and fully cook my steaks at the regular restaurants anyway.

By R.C. on Saturday, July 3, 1999 - 05:16 am:

Hey Cyst!

Be sure to take lots of hot pix of you in Paris & post 'em for us! And inc. yr beau.

By Waffleboy on Saturday, July 3, 1999 - 12:53 pm:

no you didn't cyst, but i am glad it makes some sort of sense, in honor of the 4th i have a flag pole up my ass for the entire weekend

By Waffleboy on Saturday, July 3, 1999 - 12:53 pm:

no you didn't cyst, but i am glad it makes some sort of sense, in honor of the 4th i have a flag pole up my ass for the entire weekend

By She-leda on Saturday, July 3, 1999 - 04:01 pm:

god as gander, hmmmmmmm. enfolding you with his enormous powerful wings, biting the back of your neck fiercely, giving you a mighty hump up your all-purpose orifice with the extrusion from his all-purpose orifice.

i must see duck fucking at least ten times a day, so any divinity it holds is long gone from my vision.

By Waffles on Friday, July 16, 1999 - 12:09 pm:

I saw this last night, this is the greatest films to come out in a long time, it's big mirror to society, those who are distrubed (rightfully so) by some of the shocking images need to take a closer look at society. All of the characters were extremely grounded. It was depressingly sad at times and also fucking hilarious, the script was one of the best I have seen in a while

By Spider on Wednesday, May 2, 2001 - 03:52 pm:

I had thought that you guys talked more about this movie here than you actually did. Damn.

I really liked the last scene, where the sisters are eating dinner with their parents, and the father ignores the eldest daughter and won't let her pass the food to the others. I thought that was very insightful.

Explain the word "grok" to me. I want to know the nuances of its definition.

By cyst on Wednesday, May 2, 2001 - 05:06 pm:

yeah, only I talked a lot about it.

By Bobby on Thursday, May 3, 2001 - 01:52 am:

One of the things you said:

"it's about the unending chain of desire, how everyone wants someone better-looking than themselves, but that person, of course, has their sights set a bit higher still. and how in the end no one gets what they want."

That is more than mere movie commentary; that is real insight about life.

By Spider on Thursday, May 3, 2001 - 09:22 am:

Cyst is good like that.

By dave. on Thursday, May 3, 2001 - 02:19 pm:

to grok is to know something intimately and completely. to know something on all levels. mentally, emotionally, spiritually, physically. to have that knowledge become an integral part of who you are on all those levels.

it's a made up word.

read this.

By cyst on Thursday, May 3, 2001 - 02:51 pm:

aw, thanks you guys. I get overexcited about things sometimes and get a little carried away.

thank god.

By sarah on Thursday, May 3, 2001 - 03:30 pm:

grok was the word of the day on March 30th on my peel off word of the day calendar. when i get to the office, i'll post how they define it, and there's also a neat little "Did you know?" thingie on the back about its origin. it's from a sci fi novel, if i recall.

By sarah on Thursday, May 3, 2001 - 05:28 pm:

Sorry, it was thursday, march 29th.

grok: to understand profoundly and intuitively

"Are you a disgruntled baby boomer? One who just doesn't grok today's twentysomethings?" -Computer LIfe, October 1994

Did you know? --->>

"Grok" may be the only English word that derives from Martian. Yes, we do mean the language of the planet Mars. No, we're not getting spacey; we've just ventured into the realm of science fiction. "Grok" was introduced in Rober A. Heinlein's 1961 science fiction novel Stranger in a Strange Land. The book's main character, Valentine Michael SMith, is a Martian-raised human who comes to Earth as an adult, bringing with him words from his native tongue and a unique perspective on the strange ways of Earthlings. "Grok" was quickly adopted by the youth culture of America, and it has since peppered the vernacular of those who grok it - from the hippies of the sixties to the computerniks of the new millennium.

(note: i did not author the above garbage. it's from Merriam-Webster's 365 New Words Calendar * Workman Publishing)

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact