Lock, Stock and two smoking barrels

sorabji.com: Last movie you saw: Lock, Stock and two smoking barrels
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Patrick on Thursday, November 11, 1999 - 02:07 pm:

This movie rocks. Not only is it a witty script and extremely well thought out, but the cinematography is tops. It's an english film, so I love the accents, the backgrounds are always cool, i love the dress, the men are often in pea coats with cool cesar cuts and chops, lots of fuckin guns....kinda of a trainspotting minus the junkie aspect.....you must rent this....

By Nate on Thursday, November 11, 1999 - 03:25 pm:

i agree. i watched it 3 times in a row.

By Patrick on Thursday, November 11, 1999 - 03:31 pm:

yeah i could stand to see it again, i got a little lost a few times towards the end as to who was with who, but the damn video was already two days late......and the video store is 1 block away...

By Rhiannon on Thursday, November 11, 1999 - 03:33 pm:

I read that the guys who played the older mobster-types were real mobsters. The director felt that only real criminals could bring the right kind of malice to the role, as actors have lived too soft a life.

By Nate on Thursday, November 11, 1999 - 04:23 pm:

that would make sense. there are some hard mofos in that movie.

i didn't get it all the first time through.

By Patrick on Thursday, November 11, 1999 - 05:53 pm:

though one steel jawed mobster guy whose names escapes me reminds me of Lawrence Tiernny (spell?). Did you ever see that "movie" Red, basee on the series of crank calls to the tube bar in the early 80s.....

By Rhiannon on Thursday, November 11, 1999 - 06:24 pm:

The French movie "Red"?

By Patrick on Thursday, November 11, 1999 - 06:57 pm:

no, ever hear the Tube Bar. It's on teenbeat records and I think other have re-released it. Bart Simpsons prank calls to Moes is based on these classic pranks win which this guy called the Tube Bar in Baltimore MD in the early 80s, he taped hundreds of calls like.....burly graying big old man answers
    Red"tube bar"
    Caller"is Joe there..."
    caller "Joe Mama"

Red to the bar "is Joe here..Joe Mama.....Joe Mama?!!!"

you hear the croonies laughing

and then it usually takes a turn for the worse

Red (now getting the joke) "listen here you little prick, you fucking cock sucker....

Caller "oh yeah, i fucked your mutha you douchebag balding fuck...fuckface"

Red "i'll kill ya ya muthafucker, come down here come down here...you little prick"

and so on

some of the best prank calls, no one ever knew who it was

go here
    http://www.missioncreep.com/mw/tubebar/index.html

i can't find the movie on line but the websites have download calls....i believe it's called Red, like the trilogy you are referring to Rhi

By J on Friday, November 12, 1999 - 11:03 am:

Waffles this is just great,love crank calling,ever since I was a kid calling bowling alleys and asking them if they had 10 pound balls,"How can you walk with them", to calling bars and asking for Mike Hunt,as I got older I got more creative.I have the Jerky Boys autograph,and I called some guy for some Nursie Poo who posted her once and she never even thanked me.I think I posted the phone losers link her once,that,s where I use to hang out till I came upon you all.That is just great!!

By Lucy Phurre on Friday, November 12, 1999 - 03:28 pm:

I saw the movie with my ex-boyfriend, who is from Stepney. The rhyming slang was so fast-and-furious that he had to read the subtitles.
    He loved the film.
    I thought it was incredibly funny. Kind of reminded me of what would happen if Tarantino were actually a good director with a sense of humor.

By Patrick on Friday, November 12, 1999 - 03:36 pm:

your copy had subtitles? strange, the one i saw didn't

By Lucy Phurre on Friday, November 12, 1999 - 06:35 pm:

I saw it in the theater.

By Spider on Saturday, July 3, 2004 - 09:19 am:

I watched this before I watched Office Space, and I had to watch it a second time to really enjoy it, because the first time, I was so worried about everything working out well for the characters that I was sure I missed stuff.

I think my favorite part was the scene at the very beginning, with Bacon selling the stolen goods on the street (hand-made in Italy, hand-stolen in Stepney). What a great introduction to the character/lifestyle.

Did you know the guy who played Barry the Baptist IRL was a bare-fisted boxer who won over 3000 matches? BAD. ASS.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact