Magnolia

sorabji.com: Last movie you saw: Magnolia
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Jinafishes on Monday, January 24, 2000 - 12:10 am:

I had no idea this was going to be such a fucking good movie! It's completely wonderful.
    I was trying to think what the last best movie I saw and that was Life is Beautiful, great great movie, but god, compared to this, I don't know.. you just can't compare two good movies together, they always have something strong about them. But this movie.. it's like... what to say. It was fucked up. Everything about it was strong. The title doesn't do it justice. I always think of Steal Magnolias when I hear this title and that's absoloute shit.
    Just because you're done with the past doesn't mean the past is done with you. These things HAPPEN. It DID happen, it may not seem like something as crazy or as sad or as odd as this could EVER happen, but it did, and it does!
    We see movies all the time and know this could never happen, it's a movie, it's hollywood, but for once someone actually thought, "Hey, maybe we should make a movie based on things that do happen with people, that just don't seem to happen. And then let's tie it all in together and fuck with the audiences head." It felt good.
    8 people, 2 of each come together, have a kind of connection. The father who wants to see his kid he hadn't seen in years on his deathbed, the game show trivia prodigy kid who has all the pressure on him to make money, only for dad (which tottally reminded me of the Dennis the Menace story I saw on E!), a guy who is older now and was on the same game show, and how he has turned out, a cocaine addict girl and a police officer tottally interested in her unaware of everything about her, high on his ego, which screws with her mind, the game show host is the cocaine girls father, and she hates him. The directing was beautiful, it was woven, the camera would sometimes follow people around, or it would sometimes be them. I knew from the start it'd be good by just how it started out, there was just no stalling or letdown. there was great music that settled in just right, and then sometimes things would be thrown in and you'd have to catch it for it to make sense, which it didn't even if you did know why it happened. Sometimes there was no reason, IT JUST HAPPENED. It was funny, it was believable, it had multiple climaxes, and I'm still thinking about it the next day, and probly for a couple more. It was an enlightening movie. What an oxymoron. I'll probly never see a better movie.

By cyst on Monday, January 24, 2000 - 12:26 am:

I liked julianne moore's haircut. I want to get a picture of the scene where she throws a fit in the pharmacy, take it to a salon, and say, "do this!"

By Jina on Monday, January 24, 2000 - 10:44 am:

I kind of liked it too, but most of the time I would pay attention to her lips.

By cyst on Wednesday, January 26, 2000 - 08:36 pm:

I wonder how this is going to turn out.

earlier today on the phone:

someone: genesis salon.

me: is mandy there?

s: yeah, hold on a sec. mandy!

mandy: hello?

me: hi. this is sort of a random stranger calling. you cut my hair once. I was just wondering, have you seen the movie "magnolia"?

mandy: uh, no.

me: oh. ok. there's an actress in it and she has the haircut I want. has anyone else there seen it?

mandy: hold on. let me check. has anyone here seen "magnolia"? uh, no. no one's seen it. who's the actress, do you know?

me: julianne moore. do you know who she is?

mandy: oh yeah, I TOTALLY know who she is.

me: yeah. she has the most amazing haircut in that film. do you have a copy of willamette week?

mandy: no. but I could get one.

me: oh, it doesn't matter. there's a photo in there, but it's really bad. how much are you charging for a haircut these days?

mandy: $20.

me: do you have any openings tonight?

mandy: uh yeah. 8:30. and 6:30. and 7:30.

me: oh, 6:30 would be great. does $20 include a wash or should I shampoo my hair first?

mandy: oh no, $20 includes everything. what's your name?

By Isolde on Wednesday, January 26, 2000 - 08:56 pm:

You know, I hate living in the boondocks, because I always get movies about two months later than everyone else.
    So, should I go see Magnolia if and when it arrives?

By cyst on Wednesday, January 26, 2000 - 09:03 pm:

By cyst on Wednesday, January 26, 2000 - 09:05 pm:

yeah. you could do worse.

By Isolde on Wednesday, January 26, 2000 - 09:11 pm:

Be sure and post a picture of yourself with the new hair...

By cyst on Wednesday, January 26, 2000 - 10:24 pm:

she took so much goddamn hair off.

I forgot that hairdressers ALWAYS do that.

she asked me if I wanted her to take some length off in the back. I said make it just like the picture -- so all of the back would be the length of the longest part of the front. I guessed this would be about an inch.

she started in back. it felt like she was talking off a lot. I asked her how much she was cutting.

"two-and-a-half inches?"

FUCK.

now my hair sits on my shoulders instead of falling down. after she was done she said it wasn't going to look like the picture because my hair's thicker than julianne moore's.

oh well. I kind of like it.

By Isolde on Wednesday, January 26, 2000 - 10:43 pm:

As long as you like it...I've always been really paranoid about cutting my hair, since a hair dresser once claimed to be "taking off a few inches". When I got out of the chair, my formerly butt-long locks were all over the floor and I looked like a sheep. The only thing the woman said was: "My...I thought I was just cutting off a few damaged ends."
    I was not happy.

By Gee on Thursday, January 27, 2000 - 02:07 am:

I've been thinking a lot about cutting my hair off. I've had the same long hair for over ten years and I crave change, but at the same time, change scares me. I'm worried my hair may not grow back - it doesn't always, you know.

I was thinking of something shorter that that picture, though. Something just below the ears. something kinda sassy. Like Wade's hair in the latter episodes of "Sliders".

By Carrie Ann on Thursday, January 27, 2000 - 03:45 am:

Went in for a consultation today and I have an appt Friday @ 5:45pm to get something done to this mop o' hair on my head. My hair actually looks a lot like that pic of Julianne Moore's in 'Magnolia', but it's been like this for too long (in my terms: more than 3months) and I get bored too easily. Took me forever to grow the layers back out, however after the hairdresser decided she knew best (at $60+ a haircut, I think I should have a say in what they do) and went snipsnip happy. Seeing as how I have naturally curly hair, and a LOT of it, too many layers are not a good thing. I wasn't happy but didn't get too upset because in the end, hair grows back and you get on with life. (Gave me an excuse to go hat shopping anyway.) But I've decided to stick with letting them do the coloring and going to one of those smaller places for the haircut. Kind of want something a little wild too.. at least different.. but haven't quite made up my mind yet. Hmmm...

By Jinafishes on Thursday, January 27, 2000 - 06:42 pm:

I think you should do it Gee. Just do it. You'll like it. I got mine done at this beauty school where I knew the girl, so I trusted her. If you're a pussy, do it like I did. My hair was pretty long at first, but I slowly edged my way to getting shorter, to the shoulders first, and then real short. So I got it cut a couple times before chop chop. And when I did, she layered the back and did something to the sides, I didn't want my bangs micro short so she did something cool. I felt very girly afterwards too, my security blanket had been taken away, but I was paranoid the whole fucking time. I held a mirror, so I could see what she was doing. So I did trust her, just to an extent.

By spunky on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 10:52 am:

Frogs.
    I sat and watched this movie for 4 hours on Monday night, we started it at what, 9?
    It was almost 1 before it was over.
    For what? Cancer, suicide, incest, deathbed damnation, abusive fathers that put celebrity status over permenant phsycological damage, dumbass lucky cops, fooling around and frogs. Lots of frogs.

By J on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 01:27 pm:

I might as well slap this up here,saw Signs,it sucked.I figure if alians can figure out how to fly from their planet to ours then they should be able to open a door that has been nailed shut.Dumb.

By spunky on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 01:42 pm:

I have not seen that one yet, but I see your point.
    Thats a shame. I was really looking forward to seeing it.

By patrick on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 02:40 pm:

i heard it was a great sci-fi flic to see on the wide screen.

By Gee on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 02:44 pm:

hey, I did get my hair cut afterall. it used to be lower-to-mid-back length, and now it's shoulder-length. which may not seem like a big deal, but Hey! I've had that hair for years! Now it's a few inches shorter, and that was a big change for me.

I love it, though. it's red and layered and not so long it droops. (thin hair droops so easily).

my friend's going to take a picture of me tonight, so maybe if you beg and grovel...

By Spider on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 02:54 pm:

I really liked Signs. I liked the acting, the direction, the main idea, the fact that it had me curled in my seat biting my fingernails, the humor, etc. etc. I found it exciting and truly scary/suspenseful.

I recognized the voices of some of the newscasters on the radio....one is the sportscaster from the local ABC affiliate station. The girl in the pharmacy has my accent.

I think this is cool -- yay, Philadelphia!

I also thought it was cool that the Sixth Sense was filmed in the beautiful Old City section of Philly (it's rare that a movie's set in Philly, and when it is it's set in the skanky areas), and that the scene where the boy buys a pumpkin for Halloween was filmed at the Acme I shopped at in Bryn Mawr.

I thought it was silly, though, that the director cast himself in the role that he did (in Signs). Please.

By patrick on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 03:18 pm:

i did head shots for a green actor fresh off the boat from Philly this weekend.

I asked him if he's a Flyers fan....naturally he is....we rapped about hockey while i was loading film.

Boy was this kid stiff as a board though. He'll never make it in this town unfortunately, but I'll take his money.

We talked about Pat's Cheese Steaks and Yingling beer. Even though Ive never been there, I seem to be able to talk about it as if I have, many times.

His accent led me to ask if he was from NYC.

Lots of directors have cast themselves in their films. M Knight did write it the film as well as direct it.

Martin Scorcese in Taxi Driver, Orson Welles and of course Hitchcock did it numerous times and that guy the Angry Inch.

Was it a bad role for him to play?

By Spider on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 03:37 pm:

You mean Yuengling?

It just seemed arrogant for him to cast himself in the role, like it wasn't enough that he wrote, directed, and produced the thing...he had to appear in it, too. It was a pretty substantial role, not a cameo by any means, and he didn't bring anything to the part that a real actor (cuz he wasn't that great) couldn't have brought.

But you should see it for yourself.

By patrick on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 04:28 pm:

yeah thats the stuff. Oldest brewery in America.

"It just seemed arrogant for him to cast himself in the role, like it wasn't enough that he wrote, directed, and produced the thing...he had to appear in it, too."

maybe spider, but perhaps you're projecting some of your insecurities here?

If you didnt know it was him, would you even be remarking on the character?

By Spider on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 04:35 pm:

My insecurities?

If I didn't know it was him, I'd be wondering who the flat actor was. He plays the guy who killed Mel Gibson's wife. He's supposed to be guilt-ridden, or so I gathered from the dialogue, but I didn't sense much of any emotion from him.

By kazoo on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 04:36 pm:

I loved Signs. I had no idea what it was about. And it scared the shit out of me. It also made me laugh...I liked the balance between the suspense and comic relief. I also have a crush on Jaoquin Pheonix. He's my third back up boyfriend.

I didn't mind that the director cast himself in the movie. It was more than a cameo, but I didn't think it was that substantial either.

By kazoo on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 04:38 pm:

"He's supposed to be guilt-ridden, or so I gathered from the dialogue, but I didn't sense much of any emotion from him."

Yes, but in that scene he's also supposed to be in utter shock...which I got from him.

I don't want to say any more than that.

By patrick on Wednesday, September 4, 2002 - 04:55 pm:

what would seem "arrogant" or perhaps too much in your eyes is insecurity spider. You'd never ask for such.

what about someone who writes, publishes and sells his own book. arrogant? or innovative?

what about a guitarist who produces his bands music and puts it out on his label?

especially when it comes to the producing credit, many big time hollywood people demand that credit because it simply = more money, which is smart business in Hollywood. In one day, broke on your ass the next.

To me, the writing, directing, producing express a synergy and a control freak, which is not a bad thing on a film set.

The acting part, fuck it, its his movie. If it doesnt make or break it, who cares.

By Spider on Thursday, September 5, 2002 - 08:41 am:

"what about someone who writes, publishes and sells his own book. arrogant? or innovative?"

No, not arrogant.

"what about a guitarist who produces his bands music and puts it out on his label?"

Nope.

Fuck it, is right.

By J on Thursday, September 5, 2002 - 02:20 pm:

The Road to Perdition was really good and should probably win some awards. Has anyone seen My Greek Wedding? I hear it's really funny,I want to see that and One Hour Photo.

By kazoo on Thursday, September 5, 2002 - 02:52 pm:

One Hour Photo was AWESOME. I was so impressed. The shots were so precise and Robin Williams was just fantastic. It's almost like you can't even recognize him.

I did not see My Greek Wedding. I did see The Road to Perdition which was really good even though I wish they'd shown more Jude Law than Tom Hanks. I'm biased though, Jude is my first back up boyfriend.

By Spider on Thursday, September 5, 2002 - 03:13 pm:

I saw my Big Fat Greek Wedding. It was okay. (If I said that out loud, I would say it with a cheery voice.) I saw it with two Jewish women and I'm Italian, and we all agreed that our families could have doubled for the family in the movie....any big 1st-generation immigrant family could relate.

Kazoo, I'd threaten to arm-wrestle you for Mr. Law, but I know that even in the imagination, he would never notice me. *sigh*

By spunky on Thursday, September 5, 2002 - 03:18 pm:

Kind of like the English Patient was ok????

By Spider on Thursday, September 5, 2002 - 03:30 pm:

The English Patient was more than OK.

By spunky on Thursday, September 5, 2002 - 03:42 pm:

Ugh

By kazoo on Thursday, September 5, 2002 - 03:53 pm:

oooh Spider, come on, between our collective imaginations, certainly Jude would come over and buy you a drink.

Then he would fix me up with Joseph Feinnes.

By Spider on Thursday, September 5, 2002 - 03:58 pm:

You can have Joseph...I'll take his brother.

Heh, I just remember telling Dave I liked men who were tall, dark, and evil. What a goofball I am sometimes.

By Gee on Friday, September 6, 2002 - 01:18 pm:

Jude Law isn't going bald in real life like he is in "Road to Perdition", is he? he's ever so dreamy, but only with a full head of hair.

he and Paul Newman were the only ones that I thought did well in that movie.

By Gee on Friday, September 6, 2002 - 01:18 pm:

but not so much, Paul Newman.

By kazoo on Friday, September 6, 2002 - 03:35 pm:

I'm wearing my Jude Law tee-shirt today.

True story

By Spider on Friday, September 6, 2002 - 03:42 pm:

a T-SHIRT? Oh my God, that's funny. What's it look like?

By kazoo on Friday, September 6, 2002 - 03:53 pm:

He's leaning against something, looking past and off to the side of the the camera (I think, I'm having a hard time from this view), and wearing an aqua-ish shirt that is open half-way down his chest. He looks a little gay (for lack of a better term).

By semillama on Friday, September 6, 2002 - 06:06 pm:

He looks WICKED gay.

And Magnolia was a fucking fantastic movie. All the weird stuff like the frogs was inspired by the works of Charles Fort ( do a web search on him, or pick up a copy of Fortean Times at your local mega book seller).

And everyone should see One Hour Photo. Kazoo and I both liked it, even though it completely lacked any appearance by either Jude Law or Joaquim Phoenix.

For the record, Signs was a great piece of movie making. So what if there were some logical inconsistencies? It's a movie about FREAKING ALIENS WHO TAG CROPFIELDS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD. It's called suspension of disbelief.

Have I mentioned that I really am the luckiest guy in the world lately?

By J on Friday, September 6, 2002 - 07:21 pm:

I'm sorry liked it till the end,it's just how my mind works,probably the same reason I read so much non-fiction.

By patrick on Monday, September 9, 2002 - 01:47 pm:

Jude Law mows my lawn.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact