Where was Psylocke?

sorabji.com: Last movie you saw: Where was Psylocke?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Shpidah on Friday, July 14, 2000 - 06:37 pm:

Ok, duh, what do you think I saw today? What with a half-day at work and a brother who has grown his hair and sideburns just to look like Wolverine?

It wasn't as good as I'd hoped, but neither was it as bad as I'd feared.

Kinda short. Not very meaty. But cool nonetheless. It was neat to see things with your own real-life-seeing eyes that you've only seen drawn before.

Of course there'll be a sequel. There was hardly any ending. It kinda sucks that they did it that way, like the Phantom Menace...it's like Lucy van Pelt and her football.

Well.

Dinner's ready.

By Biro on Saturday, July 15, 2000 - 12:26 am:

I loved that movie set in Australia about the fat girl who goes into bridal shops just to try on Brides dresses, the music was by ABBA, not my favorite listening choice, but I really loved the movie. Cannot remember the title, I hate it when that happens, all too frequently for me. Nonetheless a good movie. My most recent movie was Boys dont Cry, very depressing. Came out the theatre feeling like I deeded a valium. I went with my mother-in-law who had seem only half as her friend walked out in the midde and she wanted to see it through. We both walked home feeling depressed. We have a local theatre that only plays Independent movies, the tickets are cheap and you can buy good coffee and wine too. My kinda theatre. It's very small the audio none too great but it will a sad day when it goes, it was actually featured in the movie cocoon, which was the reason I saw the picture as it was set in and around my neighborhood, one of the old ladies, Herta Ware stayed at the Motel I was running. Cool lady, rode a bike everywhere just like me.

By Antigone on Saturday, July 15, 2000 - 01:37 am:

Gambit is supposed to be in the sequel.

I liked it quite a bit. For a movie, it was pretty good. For a comic book adaptation it was fantastic. It was very true to the comic without being cheesy or overblown. It was larger than life where appropriate, but not all of the time. The viewer wasn't beaten over the head with action, and the actors had decent chemistry.

I saw it with some people who had never heard of the X-Men before, and afterwards they were quizzing me on the characters, what happened to them in the comic series, etc. That shows me that the movie was decent enough to appeal to the non-fan.

By Cat on Saturday, July 15, 2000 - 01:57 am:

Muriel's Wedding. Actually Toni Collette (minus the 30 pounds she put on to play Muriel) was also nominated for an Oscar for her role in the Sixth Sense as the boy's mother.

By Spydre on Saturday, July 15, 2000 - 10:32 am:

We saw it with a friend of my brother's who had never read the comic, and I think he liked it as much as we did. I haven't read the comic in years, and I could follow along just fine. (But isn't Mystique Rogue's foster mother? I thought they were related in some way.)

We also felt the absence of Gambit. Good to hear he'll be in the sequel. But...what about Psylocke? After Magneto, she's my favorite character. (And couldn't they have dyed Ian McKellan's hair white? Was that too much to ask?)

My bro says there was a "cameo" by Jubilee in the classroom scenes, but I missed her. He said you could tell by her yellow loop earrings.

By semillama on Saturday, July 15, 2000 - 11:48 am:

supposedly there is acameo by Iceman as well in the classroom scenes.

I'll keep an eye out for them.

By Bell_jar on Saturday, July 15, 2000 - 12:12 pm:

i've never read a comic book, but i went to see it last night. unfortunately, the show we went to see was sold out, and i had to volunteer during the later showing. i have a date for monday night though.

By semillama on Saturday, July 15, 2000 - 09:22 pm:

Wow. Much better than I had anticipated. Good, strong characters, and it stands on its own apart from the comic book.

I countd the cameos by Iceman, Jubilee, and of course, Kitty Pryde.

Man, Ray Park! He just about stole the show as Toad! Very good job there. Good jobs all around, actually. I really thought Hugh Jackman nailed the character of Wolverine. I freely admit that i am something of a fanboy here, I have every issue of the Wolverine title, and that was perfect. The effects were very good, yet didn't overshadow the characters. You could tell a lot of care and attention to detail went into this movie.

I give it 3 thumbs up, which in my own movie review parlance, means I highly recommend the movie.

We were talking after the movie, and Steve the Gothic Archaeologist and I both agreed that the likeliest sequal would folow the "Weapon X" storyline as part of the plot. Steve thought, and I agree, that another good sequel would by the Phoenix Saga, as well as the Mutant Massacre. Hell, there's so much one could do, if it was done with the same care.

By Gee on Sunday, July 16, 2000 - 01:33 am:

I spotted all those cameos and Johnny Storm to boot. he was playing with a little ball of fire in the class.

Ishmael (whom I went to see the movie with) pointed out that the truck driver who gave Rouge a lift early in the movie was played by the guy who does the voice of the Beast in the cartoon. I love all that inside stuff.

wolverine was too goodlooking. I understand the man has something that draws women to him, but it ain't his pretty face. that was distracting.

the thing that excited me the most was recognizing Famke Janssen as a gueststar on an episode of Star Trek NG. she played one of Captain Picard's romantic interests. fantastic.

It was good, but I'm pretty sure the next one will be better.

By Celia on Sunday, July 16, 2000 - 02:34 pm:

I'm one of those fans who were disappointed with the Halle Berry casting. With one of the most powerful abilities, she sure is petite and gets beat around a lot. Also disappointed by the lack of ANY chemistry between Cyclops (James Marsden - isn't he a little young?) and Jean Grey. Aren't they supposed to be engaged? They didn't even talk to each other unless they had to. He looks more like her younger brother or something.

But that's about it for my gripes against the movie. It was worth seeing...not great, but ok. It's a pretty good job, considering the difficulty of the task of having to set up all the characters and still maintain a plot.

By semillama on Sunday, July 16, 2000 - 03:06 pm:

Are you sure that was Johnny Storm? Cuase, he isn't a mutant, right? it'll come to me.

By Isolde on Sunday, July 16, 2000 - 04:40 pm:

Yes, the two playing with ice/fire int he classroom, when the teacher says: "Johnny..."
    I think my favorite line was when Storm said: "Do you know what happens to a toad when it gets hit by lightning?....The same thing that happens to everything else!" Ba dum boom sh! That was awesome. I liked it. I was really pissed that the comic book they gave us in the movie theatre was laced with Toys 'r' Us crap. That made me sad. But now I want to go buy action figures and fill my house with them.
    Hm.

By sPiDeR on Sunday, July 16, 2000 - 07:28 pm:

I thought Wolverine was the most true-to-comic character in the movie. Hugh Jackman (makes me think of our friend Hugh Jarms) looked and acted just like Wolverine should look and act, ya know?

Same with Patrick Stewart as Professor X...great casting.

I thought Sabretooth could have been more grizzly...more shaggy and rugged in the face or something. Sabretooth is probably my favorite X-men character after Magneto, so I'm biased (and what is up with me always rooting for the hard-assed villains??)

Dudes, next time, they'd better have a wider cast of characters. *All* the X-men, maybe some X-factor people (like Multiple Man...I loved him!), and more bad guys (like Juggernaut!). And the movie should be a full two hours long.

The Dark Phoenix saga is a good idea. I liked Famke Janssen as Jean Gray (and I'm with Celia on the Jean-Cyclops crying shame....though my brother made the comment that the Jean-Cyclops-Wolverine triangle in the movie was lame but no lamer than the Jean-Cyclops-Wolverine triangle in the book). THat would give her a bigger role, which would be nice.

I've got to dig up my old comics. I started reading when the "second generation" series came out (1991, I think....Omega Red was in it), and then I stopped about two years later. Magneto started getting weird (didn't he lose his memory and turn good, or something? I gave up before that.) My brother's got a whole box of Wolverines in his room that he didn't take with him to school...

By Celia on Monday, July 17, 2000 - 02:36 am:

Agreed that Wolverine couldn't have been better played.

Hmm...Magneto. Ok, he marries Rogue, then something happened and everybody assumed he died, Rogue then leads the Brotherhood. Magneto, as it turns out, was living in the "Savage Land"...remember, down in the Antarctic? That's the last I remember. I think he was down there to recoup.

By Spider on Monday, July 17, 2000 - 11:23 am:

You're kidding, right?

By Celia on Tuesday, July 18, 2000 - 01:57 am:

Nope. I forgot what exactly happened to Magneto, but yeah...if my memory serves me correctly.

By Gee on Tuesday, July 18, 2000 - 02:44 am:

I have no memory of Rogue marrying anyone. she did have a romance with Magneto quite a while ago, but marriage? can anyone confirm?

I suspect that what Rhiannon is remembering is the early issues of Joseph.

Rhiannon, you know if they have too many characters in the next movie it's just going to clutter things up. Half the people in this movie didn't even get a chance to act. they didn't have enough time to develop much of a story. If they include too many x-men they'll have to make the movie about twenty hours long. not that I'd complain, mind you...

By semillama on Tuesday, July 18, 2000 - 08:20 am:

They can just introduce a couple new ones each movie (I envision a "Star Trek"-like franchise...)
    starting with Beast and maybe Colossus. I think Gambit should be saved until later, when Anna Paquin doesn't look so damn young.

By moonit on Thursday, September 7, 2000 - 06:26 am:

ha. Went to see this with 'drew last weekend. Loved it and I've never read a comic.

Of course there were only three other women in the theatre.

My fav:

cyclops: 'how do we know its you'
    wolverine 'you're a dick'
    cyclops 'oh its you.'

and man was toad cool. heh. that long tounge.

By moonit on Thursday, September 7, 2000 - 06:27 am:

oh forgot anna paquin is a kiwi girl ya know - and she still looks about as old as she was when the piano came out.

By Gee on Friday, September 8, 2000 - 01:35 am:

I hate the dolls of the movie. all the chick dolls have their boobs hanging out. If I were on my way to save the world, I think I could stop for three seconds and tuck my boobs in first.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact