Hannibal

sorabji.com: Last movie you saw: Hannibal
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By wisper on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 12:41 pm:

yum
    An amazing film, beautifully done. Even the
    opening credits were great. I'm still in shock.
    Goddamn it was fucking good.... and make
    sure no-one ruins the end for you. Smack
    them.

well acted, well made..... awesome from first
    scene to last.

By Pug on Saturday, February 17, 2001 - 09:30 am:

I heard a lot of the people who saw it hated the ending....then someone actually DID tell me how it ends....
    Now I REALLY wanna see it!!!!!!!

By J on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 02:01 am:

I read the book,I'm going to wait till it comes out in video,I figure if Jodie didn't want to do it,somethings wrong.Most people I know that have seen it liked it .

By Pug on Sunday, February 18, 2001 - 03:10 pm:

I think, just on the basic descriptions I've heard, I can tell you---it sounds, in certain ways, to be a different game altogether from SILENCE----and maybe she read into it as another flick a la "Taxi Driver" where she'd end up getting stalked by some head case who wanted to off the President for her....that is, of course, just a sweeping assumption on my part.....

By wisper on Monday, February 19, 2001 - 05:57 pm:

Jodi-shmodi, i didn't miss her at all.

aww fuck, i need to see it again, it was
    beautifull.....

By Pug on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 10:09 am:

I've got no problem w/Jodi....but I think the current Clarice is more than capable....I really DON'T think it's that hard a role to step into, personally-----

By Cris on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 11:25 pm:

i didn't like Hannibal very much, it was 'okay' but nothing to write home about. It was too predictable and he didn't even 'eat' anyone! I mean come on! The ending was really cheesy although it was pretty neat at the same time. I was forced to see the movie alone because none of my stupid friends wanted to go and the one that did want to go punked out on me! I sat in the very back of the theater behind a crying baby and having to listen to the door slam open and close every five freaking minutes! Where in good lord do people go during the movie?!?!? and so many freaking times! Anyways, I liked the movie, but I was just a little disappointed. It 'could' have been better, but I LOVE ANTHONY HOPKINS!!! he's a god! Julianne Moore is a really good actress as well...

By semillama on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 09:00 am:

Who the fuck brings babies to movies? They're babies, they can't enjoy movies yet! IF you have a kid that is going to be noisy, then you should know better than to bring it into places where it will disturb other people excessively. There are some sacrifices you must make when you have a small child, and not going to the movies when you can't find a sitter is one of them.

end of rant.

By Pug on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 04:40 pm:

Amen and Praise Bob, sem.....
    Unfortunately way too many people DO bring screaming kids to movies----which is unfair to moviegoers and to the kids as well....

By Kalli on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 07:28 pm:

Throw Juju Bees.

By Dougie on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 07:32 pm:

Do they (whoever "they" is) still make Jujubes? I used to like those, although I always they had a kind of "soapy" taste to them.

By Kalli on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 07:32 pm:

Oh and as for Hannibal...

I got all excited about it. It was partially filmed here. (The entire fishmarket scene took place right down the street from me.) Most of us were excited....our silly little Virginia city was in it. So before it was released, I went out and got the book.

I *loved* the book. I loved how the book ended.

The movie was, in my opinion, a half assed version of the book that was not done well. The lines the actors speak in the movie have no meaning when the story behind them is left out. It's like the director took snipets from a terrific story...and tried...

Half assed is the best way to describe it.

Besides, he changed the ending from the book and that super super super sucked.

Ok. Soapbox over.

I just hate dissapointment.

One of those screaming kids was me.

By Kalli on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 07:33 pm:

I think they do....

Heh, now I have a mission.

By Cris on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 09:20 pm:

I was wondering the same thing "who brings babies to movies?" I was thinking "hmm, okay bloody movie and a small child... not a good combo" she was bored anyways and the stupid parents ended up leaving the stupid theater early (THANK GODDDD!) But I agree, little kids shouldn't be taken to those types of movies, dumb parents probably couldnt' get a babysitter..

By Kalli on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 10:46 pm:

On the contrary I don't think there's a better sort of viewing to bring little ones too...

I mean....the blood, the gut, the gore...it prepares em for life.

The only the worse would be to bring em to a matinee of "Dude, Where's My Car."

That'll set em up for reality.

By Cris on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 11:21 pm:

yeah.. some children it doesn't bother, but some it really fucks up later in life with a combination of other things! i was brought up on freddy, friday the 13th and texas chainsaw massacre movies.. i was two years old when i first watched freddy and i loved it! maybe that's why i'm so demented now!

i do agree with you though.. in some respects..

By Cris on Wednesday, February 21, 2001 - 11:22 pm:

yeah.. some children it doesn't bother, but some it really fucks up later in life with a combination of other things! i was brought up on freddy, friday the 13th, halloween, night of the living dead, zombies, texas chainsaw massacre and a million other horror movies.. i was two years old when i first watched freddy and i loved it! maybe that's why i'm so demented now!

i do agree with you though.. in some respects..

By Cat on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 01:23 am:

What a bunch of selfish poobums. Wait till you have a baby and some asshole frowns at you for taking it to the cinema cause you can't afford a sitter.

By pez on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 03:29 am:

i watched friday the 13th (or what was it? it had freedy kruger) when i was little and had nightmares for years.

and they crying baby problem: many of the newer theaters have cry rooms, where i believe the mothers (and fathers) can continue to watch the movie, even with a screaing child, without offending anyone.

just think. the parents go to a movie to relax, and the kid starts screaming and crying. people are angry at you, it's embarassing and meanwhile your eardrums are being blasted out of existance. no matter how bad the other moviegoers feel at the shrieking, the parent isprobably feeling infinately worse.

By Kalli on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 08:53 am:

Yea but the thing is..

You have a kid and you suddenly have a new responsibility. And that new responsibility means you probably should avoid movie theaters with your child. Can't afford a sitter? Stay the fuck home. You shouldn't have bred in the first place.

It's like getting a dog. There's certain places you can't take your dog. So, because you want to spend time with him, you find alternative things to do that you can do together.

By semillama on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 09:44 am:

Yeah, it's like Stephen Wright said:

"I got kicked out of a movie theater for bringing in my own food. My argument was that the concession prices were outrageous. Besides, I hadn't had a good barbeque in a long time."

By patrick on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 11:46 am:

yeah cat, you picked the wrong battle here sister. its totally selfish for parents to bring kids to a movie. if they can't afford a babysitter, go rent. its just common courtesy

By J on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 12:17 pm:

I saw What Lies Beneath at a theater,and the people next to me brought a little girl about 2 with them and the kid freaked at the scarey parts,and I was so mad,not at the kid,but the parents.Some things are just too scarey for little kids to see,and I think people that take small children to see horror movies are morons.

By Cris on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 06:28 pm:

Yeah, movies are freaky for kids, and a lot of times they don't understand or pay attention, but when I watched freddy movies when I was a kid I had nightmares every freaking night.. But yeah, I don't really think they should haul their kid along.

When I went to see Yitanic a while back there was a kid behind me talking the whole time, it was really annoying because he was like 'DAD! IS HE GONNA DIE!? IS HE GONNA GET FROZED TA DEATH!? IS HE GONNA DROWN IN DA WATER?! (he continues rambling on and on) HEY DAAAAADDDD! ANSWER MEE!' I wanted to turn around and smack him in the face! or tell his 'dad' to make him shut up.. The kid wouldn't be quiet for anything! The theater was stuffy because it was all sold out, I had a headache from the kid screaming in my ear the whole time, I was on the isle seat and to make matters worse there was a stupid guy who kept going in and out.. so all of that put on top of the kid screaming right behind my head was just enough to make a person go crazy! *laughs*

blah.. enough ranting for today... i'm out :)

By Cris on Thursday, February 22, 2001 - 11:51 pm:

i swear it said 'titanic' when i typed it.. stupid dyslexic fingers!

By Hal on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 07:16 am:

I hated that movie... I mean come on, it was such a fucking let down...

FUCK, Like we all didn't know exactly how the movie ended. Shit the damn ship SUNK for christs sake... THATS WHY THE TITANTIC WAS FUCKING FAMOUS.

By Cris on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 08:00 pm:

Yeah Hal, I agree... i didn't like it much either.. I HATEEEEEEE predictable movies!!! with a passion!

By Cris on Friday, February 23, 2001 - 08:01 pm:

Yeah Hal, I agree... i didn't like it much either.. I HATEEEEEEE predictable movies!!! with a passion!

If anyone wants to know a good movie to see rent 'Brokedown Palace'! That movie is VERY good! and Very unpredictable! I like movies that make you think, and that is one of them!

By Cris on Saturday, February 24, 2001 - 08:17 pm:

i'm thinking about going to see chocolat.. anyone know if it's any good?

By Dougie on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 09:30 am:

I watched this last night. Thought it was pretty ok. Although the casting seemed kind of off kilter -- good actors in wrong parts. Ray Liotta's character seemed pretty transparent -- maybe could've used a no-name actor? Gary Oldman's character reminded me the whole time of Jim Carrey's Fire Marshal Bill from In Living Color. And Giancarlo Gianni (who was so great in those Lina Wertmuller films) was wasted as a bumbling Italian cop. I missed Jodie Foster too.

By Spider on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 10:14 am:

Will someone please tell me how it ended? I read the book, if that will assuage your conscience.

Please. How did it end?

By patrick on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 11:47 am:

shi spider, i rented it last week, but ive seen so many damn movies in the past week, i cant remember other than the fact that its open, i.e. another sequel.

shit girl, just rent it.

By Spider on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 12:01 pm:

Goddammit, just tell me!

By patrick on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 12:06 pm:

I don't remember. In fact, Im trying to remember where in the hell Gary Oldman appeared in this? Im loosing it spider.

By Czarina on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 01:10 pm:

I'll tell ya,Spider.Shall I post it here?Or maybe I should email you,so I don't ruin it for anyone else?

By J on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 01:32 pm:

Ruin it? I don't think you can,didn't you read the book Spider,the movies ending was as shitty as the book.

By Czarina on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 01:38 pm:

Hey!Sign onto MSN!

By Spider on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 01:56 pm:

I don't have MSN! Email me!

I MUST KNOW.

Yes, but J, people say it was a different shitty ending, and I want to know what that was!

By Czarina on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 02:05 pm:

Okay Spide,its coming!

By Pug on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 03:57 pm:

I like the way the book ended. I was disappointed that the movie DIDN'T end that way.

By Spider on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 04:02 pm:

I know! I wanted to see that, too. Maybe we're just sick, Pug. I know I'm sick.

Thanks, Czarina!

By Dougie on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 07:31 pm:

Patrick, Gary Oldman was that guy Virgil, who was one of Hannibal's victims -- the one that scraped his face off and fed it to the dogs at the behest of Hannibal. The one who was plotting to feed Hannibal to the boars as revenge. To me, he just looked like a post-incendiary Fire Marshal Bill.

How does the book end?

By Pug on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 08:44 pm:

Hannibal and Clarice living happily ever after as cannibals (in the book, they're BOTH eating Ray Liotta's brain!)

By Dougie on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 09:05 pm:

Kewl. Flesh or organ-meat eaters?

By Pug on Tuesday, September 11, 2001 - 09:51 am:

Brain eaters! Damn----where's my copy of MISFITS WALK AMONG US?
    Gary Oldman looked like a cross between Fire Marshall Bill and the baby in "Eraserhead".

By J on Tuesday, September 11, 2001 - 03:11 pm:

I just got done reading the book Mind Hunter,written by the man who Jack Crawford in Silence of the Lambs is modeled after, Speacial Agent John Douglas,a facinating book,and of all the murder books I've read,the only one that really gives you an idea of how a killer really thinks.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact