Memento/Bamboozled

sorabji.com: Last movie you saw: Memento/Bamboozled
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By semillama on Sunday, April 29, 2001 - 03:39 pm:

Memento: what a glorious mindfuck of a movie. See this as soon as you can. Good acting, great plot, well executed. My candidate for movie of the year actually, even over Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Bamboozled: Once again, Mr. Lee has produced a controversial picture, but I think that it's one of his best as well. Get's bogged down a bit in the middle, but overall it's very good. Fine acting, too, which was the first I think I've seen with Damon Wayans and Tommy Davidson. All around, I recommend this highly. I wish R.C. was around to talk about this movie, I'd like to know what she thought of it.

By Pug on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 02:11 am:

I also clocked "Bamboozled" last weekend---brilliant---altho as per usual it's got those Spikeisms indigenous to Spike Lee's stuff where he always plays both ends against the middle and you're never 100% sure of what he wants you to think....I'm anxious to hear anyone's take on it.

By Skooter on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 09:54 am:

I posted on that movie a long, long time ago. anyway, I thought in turns it was Lee's most brilliant, sarcastic, bitter and controversial film. The acting was great, and it did need about half an hour cut out, but I was really impressed

By semillama on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 12:31 pm:

I agree with you Pug. I think that's why so many people hated it. One thing I got out of it was Lee's equating much of modern commercial Hip-hop with the old minstrel shows.

By Pug on Monday, April 30, 2001 - 03:53 pm:

Yeah----but I think one really pointed thing about it is---here are the militant rappers, the Mau Maus...(w/the ludicrous white guy claiming he's black)...and as militant and terroristic as they are(offing Man Ray/Mantan) Lee seems to be telling us, these people are idiots.....and he always does that, too----as many fingers as he points, he points them in about a bazillion directions----ambiguity on top of ambiguity...but then I thought that of "Do the Right Thing", too.
    It's like there's just a kind of universal Wrongness----no one in this movie is ultimately "Right" and they all more or less end up getting destroyed....

By patrick on Wednesday, September 5, 2001 - 12:31 pm:

Memento rocked.

This should be a standard for contemporary cinema. Creative, curious, solid acting and intelligent.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact