Atlantis

sorabji.com: Last movie you saw: Atlantis
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By wisper on Wednesday, July 4, 2001 - 11:51 am:

holy shit was it violent.
    goddamn.
    I haven't seen that many explosions in a long darn time. And people died. Lots. It was crazy. Not the usual Disney 'bad guy falls down a cliff so you never really know what happened okay kiddie?' death, but screaming fireball army plane crash and burn death.

Disney:"wait wait wait...we're not having any songs in this one...how can we make up for that?"
    "oh yeah, i know...BLOW SHIT UP"

really, this would scare little kids. Much shooting of guns and screaming. And it was pretty boring as well. And really funny too, but damn was it violent.

[stay tuned for wisper's special Art Fag(tm) review!]

By semillama on Wednesday, July 4, 2001 - 12:17 pm:

It seemed to me that the movie wanted to be a Ralph Bakshi film. If it was a Bakshi film, it would have been a lot better. Probably more explosions, blood, and way more T&A, plus swearing. The whole movie as it is seemed like a cleaned up Bakshi film.

Plus, how, if these people survived from the time atlantis went under, I mean physically were present at the time, did they forget how to read and write?

By wisper on Wednesday, July 4, 2001 - 04:20 pm:

want the Art Fag review?

there were some glaring faults.
    i’m glad they’re getting better at combining normal animation and computer animation. I think we can all agree that these beginnings were painful to watch (Beauty and the Beast dance, Aladdin tiger cave, etc.) but i tend to find that it still looks goofy. It’s a little too seamless compared to the cell stuff.
    I kept getting uneasy about the character design. Nothing fit. The blonde chick was handled nothing like Kia, even though they were obviously similar age + body type etc. Then you’ve got the pyro guy and the Mole. The pyro guy was handled classic Disney, so was the general and Milo, but wtf was up with the Mole. He moved like a Yellow Submarine reject. It just didn’t fit. The doctor’s movements were brutal. They tried to get some things to a standard style ie. all their fingers were boxy and simple, but usually they choose a style and run with it straight through. Like the curly roman decoration style lines in Hercules or the straight angled medieval styles in Sleeping Beauty. In Atlantis it’s like they forgot half way into the planning.
    They really fucked up on the females. Maybe they were being experimental? The mexican girl, Audrey i think her name is, was painfully done. I mean i know i pay close attention to this stuff anyway, but come on. Her line quality was shit. Pure shit, totally uneven. It didn’t match up with anything. Her lines were twice as dark as everything else’s, so much so that in some group shots all your focus is pulled to her. That’s not supposed to happen, and it was so obvious. That sort of thing should have been settled in the character sheets. She was handled like one of Disney’s low budget tv show characters. Kia and the blonde chick can move like normal humans, every other female in the movie can too, so why can’t Audrey? We need character continuity here, people. Kia has eyes, Audrey has huge exaggerated cartoon eyes, the blonde chick has no eyes at all. Her face design was icky...and didn’t match anything. All the other characters were *somewhat* zany with their lines, the blonde was handled like a comic book.

By semillama on Wednesday, July 4, 2001 - 05:07 pm:

Well, what I had heard was that the characters were all designed by the comic book artist Mike Mignola, but his name didn't appear in the credits. What I did notice in teh credits was taht each character had a different team and different designers - there was no one master character designer, so that's why the characters looked as if they were drawn by committee.

I'm waiting for Elfquest. That should be good.

By wisper on Wednesday, July 4, 2001 - 05:44 pm:

every character always has a seperate team and head designer. It's the only way to keep things fresh.
    If they were all done by one person, that would explain it.
    I'm doing 12 logo designs for someone over the course of this year, and i lost the line continuity after 3, and i knew it. I've put off starting again for a month now. Our brains get bored.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact