A.I.

sorabji.com: Last movie you saw: A.I.
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By wisper on Sunday, July 8, 2001 - 12:48 pm:

yeah.

I'm so confused.
    I am desperate to know what was Kubrick and what was the S-man.

first i'd like to warn anyone going out to see this that if you want to have a good time LEAVE WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER. (hint:"we are in a cage, David") because after that, there's no turning back. You are about to whitness the most incoherant thing ever filmed. See, it had a perfectly good ending, ..... then they added on another half hour of the biggest, useless, nuttiest crack dream i've ever seen. Don't turn back. Run.

I wish they kept Joe the way he was rumoured to be in Kubrick's treatment, which was considered too dark and perverse to keep in for rating reasons. Joe had potential. Joe was reeaal good. Teddy is good too.

i have few comments about this movie. Only questions.

By wisper on Sunday, July 8, 2001 - 02:15 pm:

and the whole thing was so ...weird and disturbing. It was a strange, strange movie.
    Mr.Cranky says: Having Steven Spielberg take over a Stanley Kubrick film is sort of like letting Glinda, the Good Witch of the North, raise the Wicked Witch of the West's kids. Glinda is constantly dressing up those bratty little bastards to look nice and teaching them how to act nice, but at their core, they're just nasty.

that's about it. For all the sunlight, it was a dark thing. Very dark.

By spunky on Monday, July 9, 2001 - 12:06 pm:

Now I really want to see this movie...
    I Love Kubrick's fucked up shit.
    Full Metal Jacket, The Shining, Dr Strangelove, 2001, A Clockwork Orange, have not seen Lolita or Spartacus yet, and have no desire to see Eyes Wide Shut

By semillama on Monday, July 9, 2001 - 12:45 pm:

I felt that there was only a subtle undercurrent of Kubrick in the film. The ending was completely Speilberg. No Kubrik in the ending at all. There was a lot of Kubrick (restrained) in the Rouge City part, I thought, as well as in the part where the kid goes into the lab near the end.

By patrick on Monday, July 9, 2001 - 12:49 pm:

i heard this was the biggest piece of shit ever.

no really....ever.

that is was way too long, and just too stupid.

kubrick was known for his long winded movies, but they worked. i heard this failed, that people were actually laughing at it in the theater.

speilberg is a schmuck, and should never be touching kubrick's work, fucking vulture.

By wisper on Monday, July 9, 2001 - 01:39 pm:

i loved Eyes Wide Shut, the more i think about it, the more i like it. I don’t know why.
    People were laughing in the theater at AI, it’s true.
    Don’t go to see a good movie, go to see potential. Real amazing potential, the interpretation of someone else’s dream. I look forward to renting it later on and seeing what new things i can get out of it. It’s a mystery, a very strange project. I still don’t know what i think.

By semillama on Monday, July 9, 2001 - 04:13 pm:

Go see it for Ministry's guest appearance, perhaps the most surprising thing about the movie.
    Also see it if you like Jude Law, he did well.

One person I went with cried at the movie and said it was deep and thought-provoking, but that's because she's a moron and thought that saying such things would make her seem intelligent.

By Spider on Monday, July 9, 2001 - 04:26 pm:

Since when were you so prickly?

Jude Law is a handsome man.

By semillama on Monday, July 9, 2001 - 04:42 pm:

I am only prickly around people who make me react that way, and this person is one of the few who do so.

By spunky on Monday, July 9, 2001 - 04:45 pm:

I loved Jude Law in Gattaca.
    man that was an awesome movie.
    Hated him in the Tallented Mr Ripley

By spunky on Monday, July 9, 2001 - 04:45 pm:

well, hated that movie all around anyway

By semillama on Monday, July 9, 2001 - 05:13 pm:

did you see Enemy at the Gates? Underrated.

By spunky on Monday, July 9, 2001 - 05:18 pm:

I have not gotten to yet, but I intend too.
    I have a feeling it is one that will added to my collection.
    i bet it is better then pearl harbor

By TBone on Monday, July 9, 2001 - 05:33 pm:

Gattaca was a movie that I enjoyed immensely, but
    one that snuck by me. I didn't even know about it
    until it was rentable.

There aren't many movies that i dislike... I tend
    to find some good quality in a movie and hold onto
    that... But I didn't like Mr. Ripley. Haven't
    seen AI yet.

By Spider on Monday, July 9, 2001 - 07:43 pm:

I saw the Talented Mr. Ripley a few weeks ago. I fast-forwarded most of the last 1/4 because I wanted to know if Tom Ripley got away with everything and the suspense was killing me. Too bad he had to kill that last man.

By semillama on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 09:08 am:

Damn it!

well, not like I was going to see that movie anyway.

Saw Snatch last night. I enjoyed it. Much better than I thought, and I didn't lose track of all the characters like I thought I might.

By Spider on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 09:13 am:

No, he did get away with it. I think. it ends right after he kills him and he's just sitting on his bed.

I think there was supposed to be a progression from killing someone by accident to killing someone out of necessity to killing someone for the hell of it. That last guy *was* the last person who had any ties to the goings-on of the past, but he was good. I liked him. He spoke Italian pretty well, too.

By J on Tuesday, July 10, 2001 - 02:02 pm:

I have to agree with Whisper about A.I.,I think the Kubrick ending should have been when he was sitting on that ledge and he did what he did and said "momma".I didn't hear anyone laughing at the theater I went to.It was a disturbing movie,I cried several times through it.The ending was still sad to me.

By Skooter on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 09:51 pm:

Just saw this movie. I found it to be beautiful and sad, and far more deep than any movie that Speilberg has done thus far. I don't really give a fuck what any one else says. I loved this movie. I need a Teddy in the worst way. I also found it amusing because my sons name is David.

By Nate on Saturday, July 21, 2001 - 10:08 pm:

haha skooter you fucking pussy.

By heather on Sunday, July 22, 2001 - 12:39 am:

i was glad i didn't pay for it

teddy should have been the scariest thing in the world, but somehow it wasn't. less scary even than snuggles.

fucking aliens find him. ALIENS. or advanced robot people or whatever the fuck. jesus.

it dropped every real issue just after it was introduced and carried ridiculous bullshit idiotic speculation of the universe on and on. spoken by 'aliens' of course.

By Skooter on Sunday, July 22, 2001 - 08:30 pm:

Hey nate go suck your mommas pussy through a cheesecloth and then go thake that big fast fucking mouth of yours and eats some of your daddys shit. Fuck you, you ignorant herpes infested maggot covered dickhead!

By Nate on Sunday, July 22, 2001 - 09:03 pm:

hey there pussy. don't need to bring my family into it.

that's just rude.

By Kalli on Sunday, July 22, 2001 - 09:37 pm:

It was completely Spielberg waving his dick around saying "look how big it is. *LOOK* how big".

The alien crap at the end was total bullshit. I love Kubrick. And I think Spielberg has done a great job with some of his movies too...but the two just shouldn't be mixed.

It's like taking 3 shots of tequilla and then eating a jar of mayonaise face first.

By Nate on Sunday, July 22, 2001 - 10:20 pm:

mmm. mayonaise.

By semillama on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 10:51 am:

You speaking from experiance, there, Kalli?

Skooter, face it. The movie fell flat on its face because Speilberg is a fucking wuss. He makes some good movies, but he never wants to kick you in the balls. Kubrick lived for kicking you in the balls.

I'm going to go see Jurassic Park 3 this week. All the critics can just shut up about it because no one is going for any other reason than to watch dinosaurs eat people. There aren't enough movies out there where people get eaten.

I think AI would have been much better, for example, if when David was falling into the water, a big ol' mosasaurus leapt up and gulped him down. I would have stood up and applauded.

By Antigone on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 10:54 am:

I thought the alien crap at the end was OK, except there shouldn't have been any voice over. Of course, without the narration, many moviegoers would have been confused, and the worst thing you can do in a movie is confuse people. God forbid people have to think once in a while.

But the end being as cheesy as it was actually fits into the whole movie. It was a fairy tale, and David was trying to live out a fairy tale, so it only makes sense that the creatures would provide that.

By patrick on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 11:39 am:

great.

thanks for ruining it for those of us who didnt see it.

fucknuts

By heather on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 11:58 am:

believe me

there is no way that anything i could say would ruin it more than the actual experience

By semillama on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 12:58 pm:

It might be better for you knowing this all going in, anyway. Plus, you should go for Jude Law's character and I will give the movie three thumbs up for how it looks. It's a vidual treat.

Plus, Ministry's in it.

By Nate on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 01:13 pm:

"I thought the alien crap at the end was OK, except there shouldn't have been any voice over."

maybe they'll make a director's cut with all the voice overs taken out.

oh wait, no, the director's dead.

sorry.

By semillama on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 01:59 pm:

No, the director is alive. The guy who should have directed it is dead.

also, Terry "Bam Bam" Gordy is also dead.

By Nate on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 02:47 pm:

MAYBE THAT'S WHAT I MEANT FUCKSTAIN.

By semillama on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 02:51 pm:

YOU PROBABLY ARE A FUCKSTAIN.

YOU PROBABLY ARE. ONE.

By Nate on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 03:27 pm:

BETTER FUCKSTAIN THAN FUCKSTAINT, LLAMABOY.

By semillama on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 03:46 pm:

YOUR NAME IS NEEDLEDICK.

By Nate on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 05:00 pm:

JOHN JACOB JINGLEHEIMER SCHMIDT AHHH FUCKO?!

By SEMIFUCKO on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 05:05 pm:

FROST MY BALLS WITH MINTY KISSES FUCKO

By Nate on Monday, July 23, 2001 - 06:03 pm:

AHAH!! MY FART SMELLIN LIKE TAN-BARK!? AHA? FUCKO? AHAHA?! FUCKO!! YOU LOOKING DOWN SEEIN EMPTY SACKS?!!

By semillama on Tuesday, July 24, 2001 - 09:24 am:

TEN POLES HAVE I!! 20 BALLS IN MY FLESHY MAN-PURSE!!! EYIYIYIYi???? YOU SLURP TH' THALIDOMIDE FIN-CREATURE'S? FUCK-OOOOOOOO!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact